Trot lovers: The Joker and his Muse

When you hear this song, please come back.

Days past and Eunji had completed choreography for her new song. As they exchanged phone numbers during their recording session, Eunji texted Junhyung, wanting him to check out the entire performance before anyone else. Her manager for asking Junhyung, but she simple mentioned that a producer should have a look at how his song will be performed first.

As a producer, he should see it first, it's not that I want him to see it first right?

Junhyung turned up at the dance studio while Eunji was practicing.

"You make me feel alive!" Eunji sang the last note and posed, her perspiration taking over her forehead. She had been practicing for the past two hours, both the choreography and the vocals. She was beat. But she saw Junhyung appear and she knew she had to repeat the song again.

"Hi Junhyung! You can take a seat here and I'll start the music in 5. I need go get some water, do you want any drinks?"
"No, it's okay."

Eunji returned 5 minutes later, refreshed as though the past 2 hours did not happen. She nodded at the backup dancer, who clicked play and the music started. The familiar melody echoed in the room as Junhyung nodded his head, watching Eunji perform. She swings her body from left to right, her arms moving gracefully to each beat, her voice echoing in harmony with the melody, it was perfect. Junhyung was amazed at Eunji's abilities to perform so well, it was as though she was born for it. She sings till the end and posed, staring at Junhyung smiling, waiting for a reaction. Junhyung could only manage applause, as his mind was whirring with ideas.

Her voice really brings out the song, thank goodness she chose my song. This song's gonna be a hit. She can sing, dance so well, she's gonna be popular too. This may be her big shot and becoming an A-lister star. She's perfect!

Eunji came to sit down next to Junhyung at the sofa.

"How's the dance? Does it match with your song?"
"Uh, yeah. The dance was good. The song was good too."
"Why do you sound like as though the song's not yours?"
"Because it's yours. You have made the song yours. No one else can take it."
"I assume that's a compliment and I shall say thank you."
The two continued their conversation with some laughter in between, they were finally getting along, as friends, maybe more.

//

It was D-day for Eunji. She was going to make her comeback today, at K-Music. After 2 whole months of preparation, MV filming, album jacket photoshoots, dance practices, she was ready to show the world what she's made of.

She woke up very early, to get prepared. She was excited to perform on stage. She went to the salon and got her make up and hair done. She sleeps her car ride away to the broadcasting station, tired from last night's dance practice.

She reached the broadcasting station, with some fans surrounding the entrance. With the help of her manager, she manages to enter after receiving fangifts. She changed into her stage clothes, touched up on her makeup and practiced once more before going for the rehearsal.

Upon returning to the waiting room, Eunji's phone lighted up. It was a text message from Junhyung.

Congratulations on your comeback, I hope this song will do well, then I'll collect some of my royalties soon. Good luck to you today for your stage!

Eunji's lips naturally smiled as she replied Junhyung.

Congratulations on being an official producer, I hope this song will do well, then I'll collect my royalties too. Good luck to us!

Us? Sounds so good yet unfamiliar. Stop it Eunji, you are not letting anyone interfere with your career now!

Junhyung's phone vibrated and he looked over to check, only to chuckle at her message.

//

A few hours after the first stage, Eunji's song rose on the charts, causing an all-kill on Melon, Naver, Bugs. Her song title and name was number one on search rankings, so was the new rookie producer who was behind the song.

Junhyung was rewatching Eunji's stage, humming along to the tune when Tiger walked into the studio with beer and chicken.

"Hyung, what's the occasion?"
"The occasion is that you, my dear disciple, have just gotten an all-kill on music charts. It has been 3 hours and you're still number one. You were number one on Naver search rankings for a few minutes after Eunji and your song title went down to 2nd and 3rd, of course there's an occasion!"
Junhyung blinked repeatedly, pinched himself twice to make sure that this was not a dream.
"Hyung, pinch me again. This is real right?"
"You idiot, I will punch you if you don't believe me. Hurry up and eat with me."

Junhyung's first thought was to text Eunji to congratulate her, congratulate them... Them?! Well, not them as a collective noun, but them as in the two of them. Junhyung's cheeks burned a little red as he texted to Eunji about "them".

Hey, did you see the charts? You're number one! The song is doing well! I'm waiting for a celebration dinner~

Within a matter of seconds, her reply arrived.

I saw, manager unnie told me! :-) I will treat you soon! Thank you for this song, I'm glad we worked this out together!

Junhyung blushed once more at the text, she was going to treat him, which meant that they were going to meet. After the night where they met during her dance practice, they had no chance in meeting as she was so busy with her schedules. Junhyung had an urge to see her, in person and not on TV.

//

After conversing for a few days, the duo settled for Sunday 2pm at Holly's Coffee, as Eunji would have pre-recorded for Sunday's music program on Saturday.

Junhyung arrived, settling for somewhere far away from the windows while waiting for Eunji. Eunji arrived later, as she wore a mask and snapback to hide her face. She was considerably popular now, she would be recognised on the streets and would end up unable to reach the cafe on time. Junhyung decided to order for the two of them. They both drank the same drink, Americano with an additional syrup shot.

"So, how has your schedules been? Are you tired?"
"Yeah, I wanted to wear sunglasses today because my eyebags are as dark as the shade of my glasses, but I settled for spectacles to look more normal. Do I look normal?"
"You don't look normal to me at all..." Because you're always dazzling to me ever since we spent that night together...
"Because you are weird no matter what." Junhyung teased Eunji, Eunji crossing her arms, slightly pissed.
"Thanks for the compliment, Dragon."
"Dragon...?"
"Well yeah, since your surname is Yong, which is technically Dragon, why not give you a nickname right?"
"Why? We're not very close, are we?"
Junhyung tested the waters. Eunji's cheeks were almost the colour of ripen tomatoes.
"We are very good friends! Nothing more!" Though I wish...
"I was just kidding, drink your coffee."

//

The days past, the words of Eunji lingered in Junhyung's head.

We are very good friends! Nothing more!"

But he also remembered that Eunji blushed when he mentioned about them being close enough for nicknames, it sounded like Eunji was nicknaming him for a special purpose, a purpose that meant them being more than just friends.

The days went on and Eunji got busier. She had no time to meet Junhyung, so she invited Junhyung to her dance practices. The popularity of the new song resulted in a trot remix, again produced by Junhyung. Eunji choreographed her own dance this time and wanted approval from the producer, who painstakingly edited the song for 48 hours straight with a dozen Red Bulls and perhaps another dozen Starbucks venti-sized. She wanted to thank Junhyung (and also spend more time with him) and the invitation was done.

Author's note: Well how about that? Eunji's rising well, so is Junhyung's composition. I would like hear some comments! I hope everyone's reading this well, with the idea that this is a FICTIONAL story! Once again, thank you to heyimnewatthis for becoming my 200th subscriber! I'll post up the next few chapters soon!