2AM, the time for break ups.

When you hear this song, please come back.

 

“Dragon, can I speak to you for a while?” Eunji let go of Jinwoon’s hand finally, dragging Junhyung’s hands and walking over to the pantry.

“Look, are you mad at me? I can tell. I know Jinwoon oppa’s not the best boyfriend because he’s being all sarcastic, but I’ll ask him to stop the mocking remarks. I don't know why he is doing this to you too but please, I want my friend back and you’re not behaving like my best dragon.”
“Maybe, you are the one who has changed.”
“Junhyung please, don’t let me go. I need you. You’re the only friend I have who knows my true colours, the Jung Euna (Eunji’s real name) that I am, everyone else knows Eunji.”
Junhyung is speechless, he never knew that he was the only one who knew about Jung Euna. Of course her management has to know, but she changed her name before that. She has never used Euna before and this was a huge thing for her because Euna was a special name, only for the people she loved. Junhyung was one of them.

//

“Look, all I’m saying is, it’s okay to like whoever you want. I don’t really care. Because he’s your boyfriend, not mine anyway.”
“You sound extremely pissed.”
“Maybe because I am. Perhaps I'm not the best friend after all.”
“Dragon, do you hear yourself? Can you please understand that I treat you as an amazing friend and I really want you to be there for me.”
“I will, just far away, away from you. You can go have your date with Dongwoon or whatever his name is.” Junhyung took his leave from the pantry sounding like a green-eyed monster, leaving the studio with the slam of the door.

“WOAH? Whaddup with him?”
“He’s just mad over me not telling him about the relationship.”
“You call him your bestfriend?”
“I don’t know if I can still call him that…”

//

A month had past and many fans no longer bear grudges at the two idols. The anti-fans were decreasing and Jinwoon was gaining some fame through his new drama. Eunji was also playing it low by singing trot songs at company events, gaining back her ahjussi fans. The management then decided that now’s the best time to come back. Her reputation was back, her popularity was back too. A successful relationship with a successful promotion period, it will be perfect for Eunji.

“Eunji ah, tonight you will be heading over to the studio again. We want you to hear some tracks to prepare for your next album. We have a series of events lined up for you and we need new songs, be it covers or new songs.”
“Which studio?”
“Shinsadong’s of course. Who else? You are going to work with him until the songs from him no longer receive popularity. He’s the bomb now!” The CEO was trying to joke around with stiff Eunji, to no avail.
“Okay. If there is nothing else, I will take my leave.”
"Eunji ah! Aren't you excited? I thought you would love to go to Tiger's studio!"
"I am excited. I just don't feel like expressing it well today."
"Okay... go earn me, I mean us some money noww. Go go!"

Eunji bowed and left the studio. She did not know how to react to the current situation. Naturally, she has to do her job, to go to Tiger's studio and get things done for her album. Her instinct however tells her that this is not the right time to go, because Junhyung would be there. This dilemma was killing her. To top it all off, Jinwoon's text came. 

Buff: hey babe, wanna hang out at the studio tonight?
Me: Sorry. I have some business I need to take care of, my album is undergoing preparation now.
Buff: at the studio? I'll go there then.
Me: No, just, some alone time. I want some alone time today. Please Woon.
Buff: Sure thing babe. Just text me if you need me, I'll be there right away.

Eunji smiled. She knew she had someone to lean on, but was Jinwoon the one to lean on? Didn't she used to lean on Junhyung? Whatever happened to that? The smile faded away as she walked towards the van, as her manager drove her to the studio. 

//

Expectedly, Junhyung was there, trying his hand at a new style of music. He didn't notice Eunji's arrival until he heard Tiger talking to a lady. 

"So, you're gonna make a comeback?"
"Yes, the management told me so."
"Shouldn't you be happy? I know I am, my favourite singer is back!"
"Uhm, I guess. I'm not much of a mood to sing those lovely songs and I think that's what my CEO wants."
"Well, who cares. I'm going to make you listen to some songs now, some by me, some by your best friend and you're going to pick 5 best tracks okay?"

Eunji just nodded. She didn't want to hear anything, she was so mentally tired. 

She hears a familiar front tune of "Good luck", the song Junhyung let her hear previously. It was perfectly improved after that first hearing, although it seemed a lot darker and sadder. There was melancholy in the tune, the lyrics and she realised how painful it was for Junhyung to deal with her relationship. She also realised how the lyrics were somewhat very appropriate for what she was feeling now and she knew exactly this was how Junhyung felt just a few days back. 

"I"ll take this song."

A few songs went by, she then hears another ballad. She guessed it was another production of Junhyung's. 

왜 또 찾아왔니 널 떠나보낸 비겁한 나인데
문 너머로 들려오는 슬픈 울음소리
왜 또 찾아왔니 이미 차갑게 식어버린 내게
너에게 나눠 줄 온기가 더는 없는데
이젠 아니야 이젠 아니야 네가 기댈 사람

Why did you come to me again? When it’s me who’s too cowardly to let you go?
I hear your sad cries on the other side of the door
Why did you come to me again? When I’ve already cooled down
I have no more warmth to share with you anymore
No more, no more, I’m not someone you can lean on anymore

She silently wiped her tears away. The last line hit her, realising that that was what Junhyung wanted to tell her. 

"I'll take this song too."

"Eunji! Why aren't you picking the fun songs? You want to come out with a ballad album?"
"I just... I prefer the ballads more this time." 
"Alright then. You need three more songs."

Another 2 songs went by, all quick and happy, with lyrics about puppy love, being jealous. There was no resonance with Eunji. 

Three ballad songs then caught Eunji's attention, "Are you fine?", "On Rainy Days" and "12:30". She decided to pick all ballads in the end. She decided that she would never be in the mood to sing cheerful songs anyway. 

"You sure you want all ballads? Is your CEO okay?"
"He's okay with me singing anything. He is only after the money."
"Aren't you too?" Junhyung finally spoke. 

Eunji paused and so did Tiger. Tiger hit Junhyung's head hard, reprimanding him as Eunji simply left the studio without a sound. 

I guess, you've changed because you thought I changed. I'm sorry Dragon.

//

In the subsequent visits to the studio, Junhyung was nowhere to be found. Tiger said Junhyung went for a vacation, leaving Tiger to finish up with the production of Eunji's album. Eunji knew Junhyung simply went incognito with his phone, he is probably hiding in his apartment. She knew so much about him, yet he chose to forget everything about her.

A month past and recording was done. It was D-7 to Eunji's comeback. While Eunji was busy preparing for her comeback, Jinwoon took the chance to increase the attention towards them. Jinwoon would purposely post messages from their KakaoTalk online to show off, receiving instant retweets and favourites, mentions telling Jinwoon how jealous they were of their relationship.

//

It's D-day.

Finally, it was D-day. Eunji chose "No More" as her title song, hoping to show how she could sing ballads as well as happy trot songs. She needed to prove her worth of being a multi-talented entertainer, being able to sing various genres of music as well. But she had another reason for choosing "No More". 

The pre-recording began and she started the song. 

 Why aren’t you over me yet like a fool?
Why am I still a good person to you?
It’s already been a few months since we broke up
But why are you still living in the memories?
 

Her fans listened carefully, only to realise that the lyrics seemed to suggest a very different context from what Junhyung wrote for Eunji. They knew that the entire album was again produced by Junhyung, but they didn't realise that Junhyung was writing this to Eunji. The fans began to suspect that this song was a hint about Eunji's relationship with Jinwoon. 

We can't go back, you know what. 
You can't be happy next to me
I keep seeing you wandering around
So I can't be at peace for a single day
So I can't start a new love
Oh yeah, at this late hour, you...
 

Eunji thought of all the days where she ended recording late, Jinwoon texting her at night and her not replying. She felt the loneliness, the desperation to call Junhyung, the unnerved feelings everyday that bothered her. A tear dropped as she ended the song No more, I can't be the person you can lean on anymore.  

She bowed to her fans and walked off the stage. 

I hope that was clear to you Jinwoon. Please understand that I want this because I want my best friend back.

//

Back at home, Junhyung watched the live stage of Eunji, noticing that tear. He wanted to tear his hair out, he felt equally desperate. He had a soulmate, he thought he found the one, only to let her slip away to a man who couldn't treat her right. He felt the pain from her voice, then realising that Eunji wasn't singing the song the way he wanted her to. She was singing to Jinwoon. She was supposed to be the one who wanted to lean on him, yet she sang it differently, portraying the song in a totally different light. She wanted Jinwoon to know that he could not lean on her anymore. Junhyung had a rush of hope from within, he grabbed his phone and took a cab to the broadcasting station. 

//

Buff: Hey, I saw your stage today. It was good.
Me: Thanks. 
Buff: Who wrote it?
Me: Dragon did.
Buff: Oh, wow he's pretty good.

Eunji could not continue the conversation. Of course he's good. He wrote this song for me, hoping for me to turn back and he managed to convince me to do that.

Buff: Hey, wanna go out tonight? To celebrate your first stage?
Me: No thanks, I want to have some time alone, and I'm having night practice.

Jinwoon didn't reply. Eunji hoped this meant that Jinwoon had given up. She was going to make the worst decision in her life. 

The show was going to end and all artistes were to go up to the stage. Eunji was already nominated for her ballad, but she was pitting against one of the best groups in Kpop, Super Junior. She was nervous. 

"And today's winner is... Jung Eunji with 9769 points! Congratulations Eunji-ssi!" 
Eunji gasped, she won against Super Junior, by 1000 points! She never expected that to happen and now that it happened, it was time for her to announce the worst news she will ever bring. 

"Thank you to my CEO for allowing to choose the songs I want to sing, for trusting in the quality of my music. Thank you to my mananger, who has been ever so kind to help me whenever she can. Thank you to my producers, Dragon and Tiger, you guys are the best. I have something very important to say and this may be a shock to everyone, but I, Jung Eunji, have decided to break up with Jinwoon oppa. We are no longer together." A collection of gasps and screams were heard. 

"I hope everyone continues to support him in his drama and me in my music even though we are no longer together. Thank you to my fans, who gave me this number one trophy. WIthout your support, I wouldn't even be here at all. Thank you!" 

Eunji bows and hands the mic over to the hosts, getting ready for the encore. She felt more confident and her burden was finally gone. 

//

Junhyung stared at the TV screen in Eunji's waiting room. She could not believe what Eunji just said. Breaking up?! Since when?! But Junhyung could not hide the smile any longer. He finally understood why Eunji sang the song that way. It was as if he forgave Eunji for whatever she did previously. 

Eunji ended her encore stage, walking back to the waiting room, pausing at the door after she opened it. Junhyung was standing right in front of her, SMILING. 

"Dragon.. you.."
"I came, Jung Euna." He embraced her into a hug. 

"You forgive me?"
"Only because you no longer like that Dongwoon guy."
"You mean Jinwoon right? But who cares?"
"Ah, this is the Euna I know. I'm glad you're back." 
"I'm glad I'm back."
"Chicken and beer?"
"Chicken and beer."

Author's note: Thank you for reading this four chapters! I'm so sorry for the lack of update since chapter 3. I am terribly sorry if this ending is not up to your standards, but I just wanted to show how Eunji and Junhyung went back to their old relationship, where they ate chicken and beer at tiger's studio. Also, I decided not to write about Jinwoon's reaction towards the "live" break up, because it would be boring. If you guys want to know his reaction, comment below and I may write a bonus chapter of Jinwoon's reaction towards the shocking break up. As of now, thank you for being so patient in this story!