8 days: Of First Impressions and First meetings

When you hear this song, please come back.

"Hyung, sing the demo for my new composition. I can't sing for nuts."
"Nope. You gotta do your own demo. We are shorthanded here."
"It's my first song, if I want to sell it I need to have a good demo."
"I'll help you... record. You'll do the singing. That's that."
"Fine."

Junhyung walked into the recording room, wore his headphones and gestured an ok to Tiger. Tiger gestured the same back and hit the play button. The composition Junhyung completed a few hours ago was now in his ears, almost perfect. He tapped his foot to the rhythm, ready to sing in 4, 3, 2, 1. 

 Monday 반복되던 Tuesday  지쳐가던 Wednesday 더 힘든Thursday. 오 Friday 행복했던 Saturday  아쉬움만 Sunday 다시 시작 될...  
(Monday, the same old Tuesday, a tiring Wednesday, an even harder Thursday. Oh Friday, a happy Saturday, a sad Sunday, it'll start all over again.)

The music stoppped and Junhyung looked up from the lyrics stand. Tiger was looking unpleased. 

"Sing it with the emotions you want the future singer to sing with. You sound a like dead fish. Oh and stay within the acceptance angle of the microphone, don't act like a amateur please. You've been here for more than 3 months already."
"Yes sir."
"From the top."

The music flowed back into the headphones and Junhyung tried to sing with more emotion. He managed to scrap through the first verse with Tiger gesturing an ok. He sighed and came back out to the studio. He listens to his masterpiece and thanked himself mentally for not being off-pitch. 

"It sounds pretty good, I might be finally glad I took you in. Time for me to work my magic now." Tiger left his seat and made some calls. Junhyung was more than excited, he was exhilarated. Someone, some female artiste out there is going to use his song for a debut or a comeback. His lousy composing days are over. 

//

"Eunji, the company has made plans for you to come back this month, so you need to head over to the practice room and hear the songs and pick one as the title song by tomorrow."
"Tomorrow? Why not now?"
"It's midnight Eunji. Your manager here would like to go to sleep."
"Fine, I'll wake you up at six tomorrow."

//

Dawn broke the next day and Eunji being the light sleeper she was, was awaken immediately by the screeching alarm.
"Unnie, it's time to wake up! I want to head over to the practice room now!"
Eunji screamed into her manager's ears, becoming the screeching alarm for her manager. 
Her manager covered her eyes as she sat up and head towards the toilet. Eunji was already prepared to leave. 

//

As they arrived at the studio, Eunji was thrilled, she was finally making a comeback after her previous song. She did not fare well on the charts, the company did not want her to flop again, but this time, she knew she was ready to take on any song. She was going to be Big with a capital B this time. 

//

"Hello, I'm Eunji! Please take care of me!" Eunji smiled and bowed along with her manager. Inside the studio, Tiger was preparing for recording. 
"Hello, Eunji. I'm not good with names so please forgive me if I ever forget yours in the recording later and call you 'ya' instead. Otherwise, I'm Tiger and my dear trainee who made your song is Junhyung..." Tiger paused as he scanned the studio for the missing boy. 
"Yong Junhyung!" Tiger spotted Junhyung coming out of the bathroom. Junhyung paused in his steps, startled by the yelling of his name. He rushed over to Tiger's side and bowed profusely to apologise. 

"This is Eunji, right? Eunji, this is Junhyung. He composed your song so he will be the main producer this time too. I'll be guiding of course, but he's doing the work." Tiger joked. This producer doesn't seem so bad after all! He's even joking around.  
"Hello, Junhyung. I'm Eunji, please record well for me!" Eunji greeted coyly. 
"Eh? Oh. Uh, hi. I'm Hyung, ah no, Junhyung." Junhyung looked up after numerous bows to a view of a lady almost 5 feet 5. With a pair of beautiful toned legs and a angel-like face, half covered by bangs that reduced her age by 10, Eunji looked beautiful to him, despite being bare-faced. 

"Let's start the recording! Stop staring into each other's souls." Tiger yelled and sat down at the sofa next to the equipment. Eunji went into the recording room and adjusted the earphones and micstand. Tiger plays the music, allowing her to understand the flow of the music. Eunji giggled as she heard Junhyung's voice in the demo version. She grooved to the beat of the tune as the demo faded into its ending beats. Junhyung then came into the room, giving her the lyrics. 

"Let's try the first verse, Eunji." Junhyung murmured into the mic. Eunji looked baffled back at him. 
"Let's try the first verse..." Eunji nodded. 

Monday 반복되던 Tuesday  지쳐가던 Wednesday 더 힘든Thursday. 오 Friday 행복했던 Saturday  아쉬움만 Sunday 다시 시작 될...  
(Monday, the same old Tuesday, a tiring Wednesday, an even harder Thursday. Oh Friday, a happy Saturday, a sad Sunday, it'll start all over again.)

Eunji nailed the first verse with groove and her mellow voice matched the smooth notes as her voice echoed in the studio. 

"That was okay. Let's try the next verse."

Love song pretty pretty love song; 너를 위한 노래 불러 all night long; Piano 너도 함께 let’s go; 춤을 추는 rainbow 우리 모두 다
(Love song pretty pretty love song, I'll sing a song for you all night long. Let's go to the dancing rainbow, all of us, piano you too.)

"Let's try this verse again. You have to emphasis on the 'love song', it's a mellow song but you don't sound happy while singing. There are dancing rainbows but you make it sound like the rainbows are dead." Junhyung wanted his song to be shown in the most perfect way and he could not fathom how Eunji sings in such a mellow way it sounds dead. 

Love song pretty pretty love song

Junhyung cut the music again. It was not great, neither was it bad. It sounded lacking of the x-factor. Junhyung did not know how to put that across, he turned back to ask Tiger for some advice, only to realise Tiger was already gone. 

"Let's try this again. There is still a lack of feelings."
"Junhyung, can you be more specific?"
"Uh, not really. There's just something lacking in your singing that I can't pinpoint. It's not your skills because you sing well obviously, but you seem to have a lack in that touch of the exact mellow feel I want. So please, just try it again, with more feelings."

Junhyung played the instrumental again and Eunji repeated the same verse for the 5th time. The recording was heading nowhere, with Eunji still missing the point, the feelings of the song. 

"Let's just, take a break." Eunji came out from the room and sat down on the sofa. She messaged the manager to get some food for her, she was starving after 4 hours in the studio. It was already noon. 

//

While waiting for food, Eunji wanted to discuss with Junhyung, about the composition. 

"Jun...hyung? Can we talk about the composition? I feel like there are some parts where we need to revise."
"Revise? Where? I thought it was okay."
"Well, not really. Pardon me for being straightforward, but I feel like we could reduce the bass here so people can hear my voice better. It is going to be my voice that's important anyway."
"Okay, first. The bass is there because you need a beat to follow. If it's slightly loud, just sing louder or make sure you can cover up well. Why do you have to change the tune?"
"No, that's not my intention. I just want to reduce the bass, and also the notes for the chorus, can we switch it a little? I feel like I sound repetitive after 2 choruses, so I was thinking we could play with the chords in the third one."
"Miss, is this my song or your song? I know I'm just a rookie composer, but I'm sure my composition is not bad to allow you to insult it to such an extent. If you don't like the song, just say it. Save me the trouble of recording your voice."
"No, that's not what I meant. Listen to what I am saying please. Why can't you listen?!"
"Because there's nothing wrong with my composition!"

Both artiste and composer were fuming mad, neither giving up on their thoughts. 

"Look, all I'm saying is, I want to interpret it in a way that suits me, as Eunji. If you force me to stick to the tune you sang in your demo, it's not going to help me at all."
Junhyung hesitated in his words now. Eunji was right. Knowing how to compose is one thing, knowing how to be a composer is another. 

"Okay. I agree with you, to some point, but we have to compromise. You can come up with the suggestions, I will edit the song. If it sounds bad, I will take it that it's a no to the edit. Okay?"
"Fine." Despite being headstrong, Eunji also realised that she has to give way somehow, she was not always right. 

Food arrived and they decided to put their troubles aside, eating quickly to begin the editing of the song. 

"Now that I am coming up with the suggestions, I can be considered as co-producer right?"
"Eh? If you come up with more than 5 brilliant suggestions and they are accepted into the song, I'll say yes to putting your name also."

They were starting to get along well with the help of delicious chicken and beer. As they cleared the table together, their hands brushed against each other. Eunji felt a little heat around her cheeks, and so did Junhyung. 

//

"Recording in 3, 2, 1."

Love song pretty pretty love song; 너를 위한 노래 불러 all night long; Piano 너도 함께 let’s go; 춤을 추는 rainbow 우리 모두 다
(Love song pretty pretty love song, I'll sing a song for you all night long. Let's go to the dancing rainbow, all of us, piano you too.)

"Okay. Good, now it sounds better. Let's move to the next verse and chorus. I won't stop the recording, so finish the whole song."
"Okay."

이젠 new day 이젠 new life; 멋진 오늘 끝나지 않을
(It's a new day, it's a new life, it's a great day and I hope it doesn't end.)
이젠 new way 이젠 new light; 파란 하늘 보여줘 맘을
(It's a new way, it's a new light, show me your heart, blue skies.)

 

You make me feel alive (이젠 new day 이젠 new life)
You make me feel alive (이젠 new way 이젠 new light)

The song finished with the ending instrumental and stopped. Eunji looked up at Junhyung from the lyrics and he gave a thumbs up as a reply. Eunji smiled and came out from the recording room.

It was already late into the night and Eunji's manager had yet to arrive. They recorded repeatedly to get the perfect recording, without even realising that it went past dinner time and was almost 11pm.

//

Eunji waited quietly, fiddling with her handphone while she waited for her manager to arrive. She decided to play Anippang*.  But with her energy in the game all used up, she could only stare at the spaces of the studio. Slowly, her eyelids could not hold on and she fell asleep.

Junhyung was still editing the music, not noticing Eunji had fallen asleep. He finished up the last 8 beats and listened to the song from start to end, happy with his production. He wanted Eunji to be the first to hear the song, since she took so much pain to record. He swiveled his chair around only to spot an asleep Eunji with wide open. He chuckled, going over to prop her head properly with a pillow cushion, covering her with a mini blanket. He went back to his chair, reviewing his own song, smiling to himself as he thought about the song becoming an all-kill. His bank account would be filled with cash finally, he would have to shave to prepare for his best new producer award at the year-end award ceremonies. He saw Eunji, clapping for him and he realised how beautiful she looked with her mega-watt smile that never wavered. While dreaming of all these future possibilities, he too dozed off in his chair.

"Eunji ya~" Eunji's manager had arrived, yelling into the studio expecting them to still be recording. Upon entering the studio, Eunji and Junhyung came into view, both asleep in their respective seats. It was past 1am. Junhyung was aroused from her yelling, jumping out of his seat after rubbing his eyes to see who it was.

"You guys finished recording?"
"Ah yes, we finished quite early. Eunji fell asleep while waiting for you, I guess she was tired."
"You helped her with the cushion and blanket?"
"Uhh, yeah." Junhyung ruffled his hair and scratched his neck awkwardly.
"Jung Eunji-ssi, your saliva is everywhere, do you still want to sleep?" The manager whispered into Eunji's ears, after which Eunji jolted up from her sleep. Eunji wiped , only to realise there wasn't any drooling. Eunji eyed her manager, who dragged her up from the comfortable sofa.

"Ahhhh, it hurts!" Eunji stood up as she gets pulled out from the studio. She manages a mini-bow towards Junhyung for formalities, Junhyung bowed back to her as well.

What an adorable singer... Junhyung smiled to himself as he switched off the lights to the studio and leaving.

Author's note: Hello everyone, I know I said I was going to be on a hiatus, but I owe my 200th subscriber a story! So here's the first part. I'm having my exams now so I may or may not post. Bear with me for the irregular updates! It's a weird combination, but I hope you guys enjoy this pairing anyway!

*Anippang is a game app that is ridiculously addictive. You can search Google or even watch Shinhwa play Anippang on Shinhwa Broadcast Season 2, Episode 1(?)!! 

That's all from me now! Leave some comments and I'll make sure to reply (soon!), tell me how you feel about the story, about the pairing!