Trevi Fountain

80's first love

 

“What are you doing?” Jaemin asked as she looks at Haneul tossing a coin over a fountain.

“Looking for true love.” Haneul smiled as she take a step towards Jaemin and knot her arms to her. “Shall we go then?”

“I can’t believe you believe on that stuff.” Jaemin recoiled as they walk toward their classmates. It was the time of the year where college students of the Arts Department have their tour to other countries. In this case, the trip is in Rome, a place rich in culture and history. They were taking a tour over the locale business near the Trevi fountain that was known to be a fountain of love. Haneul, being the romantic one, tried it by tossing a coin unto it for her to find true love…

“Unfortunately, you don’t.” Haneul counter attack and squeeze her arms.

“That hurts!”

“Come on Jae, at least try for once.” Haneul said but to no avail, Jaemin just shook her head and continue walking.

 

“Over here, we have this is known to have the best cheese in Italy.” Their tour guide keeps on talking while someone is trying to sneek in somewhere.

“Hi Noona,” Youngjae smiled as he was beside Haneul and Jaemin.

“Hi, what are you doing here?” Haneul asked as Jaemin didn’t mind him. Sure she has a tiny little crush on the little fellow but studies first before love. So here’s the result.

Youngjae looked at Haneul in puppy eyes as Haneul nodged on Jaemin.

“What?” Jaemin glared at Haneul as Haneul move her head towards Youngjae. Jaemin take a look at the smiling Youngjae then went back to listening.

Youngjae just pout and decided to move beside Jaemin, “Hi Youngjae.”

“Hey Youngjae.” Jaemin casually greet while she keeps an eye on the big cheese that was in front of them.

“So later, Mr. Park said that we have a free night tonight and tomorrow.” Youngjae started as he starts scratching his nape, “I was thinking if we can have dinner together.”

“I already promised Haneul I’ll accompany her to some restaurant she saw a while ago.” Jaemin replied, looking at Youngjae. His jaw drops as he looks over Haneul who is fidgeting on the side. “Unless you want to come, you can join us.”

“Sure.” Youngjae replied, smiling at Jaemin, “can JR hyung come along too?”

“Sure.” Haneul answered immediately, Jaemin just sigh as they went back to walking.

 

They walk and went inside every shop they see along the way. They taste each delicacy that each shop offers. If it’s not a food shop, it’s a souvenir shop. Though, Haneul and Jaemin didn’t buy any souvenirs yet since they’re planning to do that before the last day of the tour. After the district, they went back to the bus going towards the hotel.

“It’s the university!” Jaemin gasped as she looks over an old like mansion with a university name sealed in the front of the establishment. She just can’t expect that she will be seeing it upon the first day of the tour. It was old already, unlike the pictures she sees on her grandparent’s photo albums, but has still the same impact as it was for her.

“What’s in that university that makes you giddy all of the sudden?” Haneul asked as she looks over from the bus window.

“Remember what I told you about Grandma? She was an exchange student in Italy when she reached junior year in college. This was the place where she studied.” Jaemin explained as her eyes were glued on the university.

“Really?” Haneul take a closer look and was fascinated with the old style aura engraved over the campus. “Wow, is that also the time when she met your grandfather?”

Jaemin just nod and look over Haneul, “but you know what’s more interesting?”

“What?”

“That’s the university where she met her first love.”

 

*Jaemin’s POV*

 

“So, where we going again?” Haneul asked as we both look at each other. Since Youngjae and JR will be having dinner with us, there have been a change of plans. Rather than the restaurant Haneul is eyeing for, we follow the boys since they told us that they saw a “better” restaurant to dine at.

“It was just somewhere in the corner.” JR muttered as he keeps on walking. “They serve really good burger earlier.”

Youngjae just sigh and looks at us, “I’m really sorry on hyung, he got cravings.”

“Don’t be, I think burger is good.” I said as we follow him. We were walking again until we stop of Trevi fountain, only this time there’s a lot more people coming in. JR stop on a restaurant, signaling us that it was the restaurant he keeps talking about. Haneul and Youngjae follow him while I was just standing in front of the big fountain.

“What’s so great about this anyway?” I asked myself and see people throwing coins in the fountain.

“You might be meeting your true love.” Someone suddenly said and I immediately look who’s talking. I never seen him before but definitely from his feature, he is a korean. He just smiled at me and looks over the fountain. “They said if you make a wish and toss a coin, your wish will come true.”

“But those are just mere talks from people, I don’t think that can happen in real life.” I voiced out and he just laugh at me. “What?”

“In my stay here, there was just around 0.000001% that I might stumble into a korean here in Rome, and now here you come.” He said and slightly pointing at me.

“You wished for me from the fountain?” I asked.

“Not really, but I wished to meet someone who is like me at some point.”

“So what are you trying to say?”

“I say that why don’t you try it and see for yourself what happens.” He told me and gave me a coin. I was hesitant at first but I take it from him.

“Now what will I do with this?” I asked as I play with it. “Ask for some god to give me Mr. Right and be merry forever?”

“Try wishing of something your heart really desire,” he told me. At some point it strikes my heart. The same words that grandmother told me.

“Are you okay Miss?” I suddenly felt a tap on my shoulder and see this stranger looking at me, straight into my eyes with a smirk on my face.

“I just remember something.” I shrug the idea off and try to think of one thing that I want to have, I want to experience, and what my heart truly desired. I take a heavy breath, I hold on the coin so tight as I close my eyes.

 

 

*Jaebum’s POV*

I was just chilling in near Trevi fountain when I notice a girl standing in front of it with a curious look in the fountain. I wasn’t supposed to come near here but I just notice myself already in beside her.

“What’s so great about this anyway?”

“You might be meeting your true love.” I answered and I look at the Trevi fountain before shifting my gaze to her. Our eyes met and I just can’t help but smile. “They said if you make a wish and toss a coin, your wish will come true.”

“But those are just mere talks from people; I don’t think that can happen in real life.” She reckoned and I just can’t help but to laugh about her thought. “What?”

“In my stay here, there was just around 0.000001% that I might stumble into a korean here in Rome, and now here you come.” I told her honestly and I’m not sure if she’s buying what I’m saying. She was giving me a look, a head-to-foot-look before asking another question

“You wished for me from the fountain?”

 “Not really, but I wished to meet someone who is like me at some point.”

“So what are you trying to say?”

I gave her my coin. She was quite hesitant at first but she takes it anyway, “I say that why don’t you try it and see for yourself what happens.”

“Now what will I do with this? Ask for some god to give me Mr. Right and be merry forever?” She joked as she plays with the coin. Somehow as how I see it, she’s trying to think whether or not to make herself a wish.

I remember my first question back then to my grandfather, but what he answered to me holds a place in my mind and in my heart, “Try wishing of something your heart really desire,”

She looks at the coin intently and then to the fountain, back to the coin again. As I watched her, I can’t help but to feel fascinated about her. She holds on the coin tightly as she closed her eyes. I think she was making her wish already and I’m waiting for her to toss the coin at the water. I waited, and waited.. And waited but she didn’t toss it. Instead she looks at me and tries to hand me again the coin.

“You’re not going to make a wish?” I asked her and she just shook her head.

“I want to believe on my gut feeling, rather than this.” She was straight-forward saying it, and rather than being mad or disappointed, I found myself smiling for unknown reason.

“Now are you okay mister?” She asked me. I look at her and her hand, still palm open with the coin in the middle, ready to be taken from her hand. Instead, I close her palm with the coin inside and push it back to her.

“Keep it.”

“What?”

“I want you to keep it. If ever you might want to try wishing in the fountain, use this coin.” I told her as I turn my back from her.

“Wait! I didn’t even know your name!” She said and I look at her again.

“Let’s leave that to fate.” She looks confused which makes me become more interested at her. Love at first sight? I don’t believe in such thing. “If we meet thrice, I think that’s the time that we may know each other’s name.” I smiled as I face my back from her again and start walking from the fountain.

 

 

 

________________________________

First chapter posted!

So, what do you guys think?

I don’t know what to say, but I hope this is a good start.

Comments are welcome!

 

Don’t forget to:

Subscribe, comment and upvote!

 

<3missdauxian