New friend

Heartquake

Yixing they discovered after a hurried introduction because they’ve already stayed too long on the bus and classes were starting soon, has healing powers and has managed to get rid of Kyungsoo’s anxiety and consequently calm him down.

Both Kyungsoo and Chanyeol had stared at him for far too long for the second time that morning, Kyungsoo in gratitude and Chanyeol in awe, always impressed with powers he previously only heard of but never encountered  before Yixing excused himself cheerily.

The whole morning, Kyungsoo finds himself in a good mood, surprising considering the lack of sleep caused by the nightmares the previous night. It didn’t even bother him much when his phone battery died (his classmate, Jongdae thinks it’s his best prank so far) can ruin his mood.

Yixing is quickly becoming one of Kyungsoo’s favourite person and to think that they’ve only met a few hours prior.

Lunchtime comes and Kyungsoo’s small smile as he greets Joonmyun, Minseok and Sehun thankfully only raises eyebrows and no questions.

“Guys guess what?” Chanyeol starts excitedly, seizing everyone’s attention, “We made a new friend on the bus earlier. He can heal!”

Joonmyun perks up at that, gazing at Chanyeol intensely, “You mean Yixing?”

Chanyeol nods excitedly, limbs flailing unnecessarily, “How did you know? Do you know him hyung?”

“Of course! He’s in some of my classes,” Joonmyun beams. Something catches his eyes then, “There he is.”

Both Kyungsoo and Chanyeol turn their heads around to look at where Joonmyun’s gesturing at. They spot the unmistakable figure of Yixing immediately, only just entering the cafeteria and looking around for presumably an unoccupied table.

“Yixing hyung!” comes Chanyeol’s booming voice, Kyungsoo is surprised heads are still turning in their direction despite this being a normal occurrence already.

Naturally, there is no need for Chanyeol to call Yixing out again as the boy has already spotted them and are heading their way already.

“Chanyeol! Kyungsoo! Nice to see you again so soon,” he greets as soon as he gets close enough, slightly taken aback when he sees Joonmyun but the dimpled smile that can easily be associated with him never falters, “Oh hey there Joonmyun!”

“Come join us. There’s plenty of space at our table,” offers Joonmyun, patting the vacant seat on his left, motioning for Sehun who’s sitting on his right to scoot further, “Oh by the way, this is Sehun and next to him is Minseok hyung. And I believe you know Kyungsoo and Chanyeol so no introductions are necessary right?”

Yixing chuckles and waves in greeting at Sehun and Minseok but doesn’t take the seat offered by Joonmyun just yet. It’s only then that Kyungsoo finally notices the figure standing behind Yixing, as if trying to hide from them. Kyungsoo kind of gets it, he doesn’t like meeting strangers either but Yixing seems to be the exception however.

He too seems to just have remembered about his friend, quickly stepping to the side and wrapping an arm around the other’s shoulder, “This is my friend Luhan.”

Hello’s and awkward nice to meet you’s are exchanged before Yixing finally takes the seat next to Joonmyun with Luhan sitting at the empty spot on Chanyeol’s side.

“We didn’t get to ask earlier hyung,” Chanyeol begins excitedly, lunch momentarily forgotten, “Are you new? We’ve never seen you on the bus before.”

“No, no I’m not,” Yixing chuckles,  “I’ve been in this school since the beginning. It’s just I recently moved to a different neighbourhood and so had to go on a different bus.”

Ah, that makes sense, Kyungsoo thinks. He recalls Joonmyun mentioning a friend who can heal once or twice before but never to the point of introduction or even pointing him out in the crowd.

Kyungsoo stays silent for the remainder of their lunch break but listening attentively to the conversation especially to whatever it is Yixing has to say. Through Chanyeol’s probing, which to be quite honest feels like a blind date between those two and the rest of them are just invisible spectators, Kyungsoo finds out that Yixing unsurprisingly intends to be a doctor in the future and that previously, he only has tried healing physical injuries or common colds and never the emotional kind.

“I was a bit surprised too that it works to be honest,” he elaborates further, looking pointedly at Kyungsoo’s hand, reminiscing, “I’m glad it did though.”

“Me too.”

Kyungsoo hears Sehun take a deep breath then, stiffening next to Joonmyun, “Does this mean you won’t need Jongin anymore then hyung?”

Kyungsoo’s eyes twitch at the awkwardly worded sentence, smiling softly at Yixing before shrugging, “Only if it’s okay with Yixing hyung.”

Yixing laughs good naturedly, ruffling Kyungsoo’s hair, “Of course it’s fine with me.”

“Thanks,” Kyungsoo beams.

Chanyeol and Joonmyun both mask their surprise that Yixing isn’t already buried in the ground for his previous action by laughing awkwardly and finally announcing that they better start eating.

Kyungsoo didn’t realise it until halfway through finishing his food that Minseok has been uncharacteristically quiet the whole time. He’s barely even spoken a word since Yixing and his friend, Luhan joined them. Nobody else seems to notice, Chanyeol and Joonmyun as always are conversing happily, with food in his mouth in Chanyeol’s case and Sehun and Yixing just listening to them.

Concerned, Kyungsoo looks up at Minseok, ready to ask if anything’s wrong but stops himself at the last second when he catches Minseok surreptitiously looking over at Luhan and then as quickly, looks back down at his food. There is no mistaking the blush that’s creeping on his face however. Now that’s weird, Kyungsoo thinks.

With everybody else still oblivious, Kyungsoo like what Minseok did earlier, sneakily steals a glance at Luhan. Much to his surprise, the other boy is also slightly red in the face, smiling at his food, which definitely isn’t a typical reaction no matter how delicious one’s food is. Unless he’s slightly insane. He’s only met Luhan today so that’s not too far fetched either.

Something clicks then in his head. It’s totally not a ridiculous notion, especially by the way Luhan is reacting to presumably Minseok looking at him. He just needs to know what Luhan’s power is to confirm. He’s surprised to be honest that that question hasn’t been asked because ‘what’s your power?’ is definitely the most frequently asked question when meeting someone new at the school.

But luck just wasn’t on his side because right when he’s about to ask, the school bell rings, signalling the end of lunch break. Everyone including himself starts to pack up their lunches and head to their respective classes.

---

When school ends, Chanyeol and Kyungsoo are already on the bus when they see Yixing, Chanyeol waving frantically at him and gesturing to the empty seat they’ve saved next to Kyungsoo.

He bounds up to them, smiling gratefully. Kyungsoo has both his hands on his lap, fidgeting and debating internally as to how should he go about holding Yixing’s hand. He’s saved from his predicaments however when Yixing oh so casually takes hold of one of his hand, leaving them clasped on Kyungsoo’s thigh.

Kyungsoo turns to look at him, smiling back and immediately feels warmth in his chest.

Not long after, he experiences the same effect from before. He feels calm and no anxiousness in sight. When the bus takes off, he doesn’t feel the loss from not being in contact with the ground, which he usually gets countless times before. If he closes his eyes now, he can easily imagine that he’s still on solid ground, not flying hundreds of feet in the air. It’s so refreshing.

He glances at Yixing again, who hasn’t taken his eyes off him, dimpled smile still plastered on his face. Kyungsoo thinks he can really get used to this.

---

Jongin returns to school a couple of days later. Kyungsoo of course finds out before everyone else. He was about to leave his room when there’s a knock on his door.

“I’m just about to go down mom,” he whines, making sure he has everything in his bag for the last time before opening the door.

It’s not his mom, nagging that he’s going to miss the bus if he doesn’t start eating now that he sees, but Jongin. He’s slightly thinner since the last time Kyungsoo saw him and tanner too. There must be a lot of sun back in his hometown.

“Hi hyung,” he greets, smiling sheepishly.

“Oh hey Jongin, didn’t know you’re back.”

“Yeah, just got back last night.” He’s shuffling slightly, hands in his pants pockets. His bangs are covering his eyes a little bit as he looks at Kyungsoo.

It takes a moment for Kyungsoo to realise that Jongin is there to take him to school, just like before. He opens his mouth to tell him that there’s no need but no word comes out. How should he explain this to Jongin?

They stand there awkwardly for a few seconds longer until finally the silence is broken.

“Kyungsoo! Come down and have breakfast now! You’re going to miss the bus if I don’t see you in the kitchen this second!”

Jongin laughs softly, out of reflex it seems as he tenses immediately after. Kyungsoo rolls his eyes, “She says that every single day. Come Jongin, let’s go downstairs first.”

Once they reach the kitchen, Kyungsoo’s mother shrieks in delight when she sees Jongin, “You’re back! Didn’t see you come in!”

Jongin bows, rubbing the back of his neck guiltily, “Mr Do let me in when he was leaving for work earlier and I went straight up to see Kyungsoo hyung. Sorry I didn’t greet you first.”

She just laughs and waves him off, “No worries dear. I was probably in the bedroom when you came in anyway. You must have really missed Kyungsoo to rush upstairs like that.”

“Mom!” “Maybe.” They both say simultaneously, Kyungsoo’s voice much too loud for Jongin’s to be heard.

“I’m just joking,” says Kyungsoo’s mom, still laughing heartily, “Come, have breakfast. You too Jongin. I’m glad you’re back. Does this mean you’re not going on the bus anymore Kyungsoo?”

“No, I’ll still go on the bus,” he replies, purposely not looking at Jongin to avoid seeing his reaction, “I don’t get anxious anymore.”

“Really hyung?” Rather than disappointment or surprise, Jongin sounds excited and happy for him. Confused, Kyungsoo finally looks up at him. It shows on his face too, it’s as if his prayers has been answered.

“Yeah I can go on the bus now,” he answers, looking back down at his cereal, “I don’t feel scared anymore.”

“That’s great hyung! Did something happen?”

He shakes his head, still refusing to look at Jongin lest he can see through his lies, “Not really.”

“Wonderful!” Jongin exclaims, “It’s sad that you don’t need my services anymore but I’m really glad for you hyung.”

“Thanks Jongin.” When he finally looks at Jongin again and see his sincere smile, something doesn’t feel right in his chest.

He’s not really sure why he’s not telling the whole truth to Jongin, about Yixing. He’s bound to find out sooner or later so why not sooner? Perhaps the fact that Jongin is genuinely happy for him makes him do a double take. If he knows that Kyungsoo hasn’t actually gotten over his hatred from being away from the ground, he would’ve been disappointed instead. But then why would he care if Jongin’s happy or not?

Unless he’s actually upset that Jongin’s not upset that they won’t be teleporting together anymore? But why would he want Jongin to be upset? Does that mean Jongin doesn’t like him anymore? Why does he even care though? Why?

“Why what? Something’s wrong with your cereal?”

 Flustered, Kyungsoo almost chokes as he slurps down the milk, “What did I say?”

“Nothing really, it’s just all of the sudden you were like whaaiiii? It’s cute hyung.”

“No it’s not.”

“It is.”

“Not.”

“Fine, not cute.”

“Thank you,” he finishes, standing up to clean up the dishes, “Where did my mom go?”

“She left to hang the laundry while you were spacing out. That was weird by the way.”

Kyungsoo turns around planning to throw some suds at the other boy but stops short when he realises Jongin is standing close behind him, reaching around to leave his bowl in the sink.

“Ugh shut up,” he says, turning back around as fast as he could, “Come on, let’s go. I’m really going to miss the bus if we don’t leave the house now.”

Jongin laughs but follows him out nonetheless after shouting goodbye to Kyungsoo’s mom, “That won’t be the end of the world you know hyung. I can still teleport us both to school.”

“No. I’m going on the bus Jongin. I cannot rely on you all the time.” Oh the irony, Kyungsoo thinks.

Right on time, the bus is seen at the end of the street, slowly approaching Kyungsoo’s house.

“I’ll see you in school then hyung,” says Jongin, holding on to the straps of his school bag.

Confused, Kyungsoo looks up at him, “You’re not going on the bus?”

“I’m afraid not hyung. Last time I went, I was glared by the driver. I’m not in his students list after all.”

“Ah right. I’ll see you later I guess.”

By the time Kyungsoo boards the bus, greeted happily by Chanyeol and Yixing, Jongin is already out of sight.