Comfortable

Heartquake

 

“Hyung, are my eyes playing tricks on me?”

“I don’t think so, I saw it too.”­

“Oh,” Chanyeol mouths, turning from Minseok to Joonmyun, “You, hyung?”

“No, it’s not just you. Kyungsoo did just give Jongin a chunk of his chicken.”

“What is happening? Is the world ending?”

Chanyeol barely manages to cover his snickers when Kyungsoo sends them a glare from his side of the table,  “Shut up Chanyeol. Eat your food.”

“Thanks hyung,” Jongin beams, oblivious to the gaping audience when Kyungsoo passes a piece of kimbap from his lunch box into his.

Kyungsoo acknowledges his thanks with a small nod and resumes eating, determinedly ignoring everyone’s quizzical looks. Can’t he be nice for once and not be questioned about it?  He can be a decent human being too.

Though technically he isn’t being nice, not really.

Jongin has been teleporting him to and from school for a couple of weeks now, teleporting to his house early in the morning and then having to wait for twenty minutes before they could teleport to school. The first morning he came, Kyungsoo’s overly sweet mom had insisted Jongin join them for breakfast (much to his protest of course - but mom he can just sit down on the bench outside or walk around the neighbourhood for twenty minutes!).

After school they’ll hang out in his bedroom or the living room for another twenty minutes after which Jongin will be kicked out of the house, quite literally last Thursday when Jongin was being stubborn about wanting to stay longer.

To be honest, he has gotten very used to teleporting with Jongin. Hugging him also doesn’t feel as awkward anymore despite his mom’s grin the first time she saw it happen or the chuckles from other students when they reappeared in the school ground seconds later.

That day however, Jongin had come to his house looking tired and with dark circles under his eyes, even bumping into the coffee table in the living room. When queried worriedly by Kyungsoo’s mom, Jongin explained that he had to stay late the night before to finish up an assignment, hence the sluggishness.

This set alarm bells loud and clear in his head because what if something goes wrong when they’re teleporting, like perhaps Jongin teleporting them to his old school instead because he’s just that out of it?

So for once, Kyungsoo had pushed Jongin to sit down at the dining table, offering him the pancakes his mom made, drizzle extra syrup in it because sugar and pouring him a glass of coffee, ignoring the younger’s protest of I don’t feel like drinking coffee, hyung.

Thankfully they’ve come to school (the right one) in one piece and just slightly off from where Jongin usually teleports them to but that’s okay. And now Kyungsoo is determined to keep it that way for their trip back home later, hence all the ‘kindness’.

“So, how is it teleporting Kyungsoo?” Joonmyun probes, smiling sweetly at Kyungsoo before looking at Jongin.

“It’s fun, hyung. I get free breakfast out of it!”

When Joonmyun only hums in response, Chanyeol pushes further, “How come?”

Jongin’s face reddens as he chokes on the water he’s drinking, prompting Joonmyun to rub on his back worriedly and offering to pull the water back out if needed.

“No please don’t do that hyung, it’s not a sight I want to see ever again,” Kyungsoo cuts him off, cringing slightly at the memory that resurfaces, “And Chanyeol, it’s because he has to come early to my house and you know my mom.”

Chanyeol cackles out loud, bobbing his head up and down, gaining the attention from the students sitting nearby. Kyungsoo is just glad he’s not clapping like a seal for once.

It was in the midst of Jongin still looking rather red in the face and Kyungsoo feeling a little sympathetic yet suspicious when a flying piece of a pretty looking pink paper lands on the table, a few inches short of becoming one with Minseok's hot soup. As for the previous few occasions, nobody saw where it came from and frankly none of them really bother figuring it out anymore.

"Seriously, who the hell keeps sending me these letters?" Except for Minseok himself of course.

Chanyeol shrugs, "Just write a reply hyung."

Minseok's eyes grew larger as if appalled by the suggestion, "I- How do I even give them the reply?"

Sighing heavily, Chanyeol looks around the cafeteria dramatically and leans forward towards Minseok, "Look hyung, whoever it is that's sending you the letters must be looking at us right now, so take out a piece of paper and start writing. And once you're done, just- I don't know, maybe wave it around the air so he or she will get the hint and take it?"

"That's pretty clever of you Chanyeol!"

"Stop messing with my hair hyung!" Joonmyun pouts but removes his hand off of Chanyeol's unruly hair.

"What does it say this time?" Jongin asks and upon realising that the paper is still untouched, everybody holds their breaths as they wait for Minseok to read it out loud.

He reads it quietly first, the blush on his face getting obvious by the second. They can see by the movement of his eyes that he's reading it over and over again but surprisingly no one make any move to grab the paper from Minseok, not even Chanyeol. And to think that Kyungsoo always thought he has no patience whatsoever.

At long last, Minseok heaves out a long sigh, breath visible despite summer's barely having said its goodbye, "It says 'Minseok,  will you let me melt your heart?”

A few moments of silence ensues before at last everybody erupts into laughter, even Kyungsoo cannot help but break his stoic façade. The sight of Chanyeol cackling maniacally and at the same time hitting poor Joonmyun’s shoulder repeatedly makes him laugh even louder.

It probably lasted a few more seconds before he finally stops. And only because he catches Jongin looking at him.

They lock eyes for a few more moments, Kyungsoo raising an eyebrow in question, feeling concerned all of the sudden because is Jongin still not feeling very energized? Does he need more food? Is he trying to send him telepathic messages?

But then Jongin smiles, lips curving only slightly upwards but somehow it still manages to soothe his uneasiness. But at the same time, an unfamiliar feeling creeps in. Kyungsoo blames it on the cheesiness of Minseok’s newest love letter.

“So what are you going to write back, hyung?”

Minseok shrugs but takes out a piece of paper and a pen from his backpack nonetheless. Pen in his grip and paper laid out on the table, he stares at each and everyone at the table, willing them to give him ideas as to what to write.

Chanyeol despite the one suggesting Minseok to reply back stays mum and Kyungsoo can’t help but to roll his eyes at that. Typical. Joonmyun too doesn’t seem to have any idea as to what to say.

Surprisingly, Jongin’s the one to break the silence, “Maybe you can ask to meet? Or just simply ask who the person is?”

At that, both Joonmyun and Chanyeol nod furiously and Minseok seems to contemplate the idea for a moment.

“I don’t really want to meet this person just yet, at least not until I know who he or she really is,” Minseok remarks, looking at Jongin in gratitude, “So maybe I’ll just ask who they are.”

He starts writing then and all of them lean forward over the table and in Kyungsoo’s case over Minseok’s shoulder to see what he’s writing. It doesn’t take him long since he seems to have made up his mind and to be fair, it’s straight to the point really. Unlike his admirer, Minseok doesn’t bother with pretty words or cheesy puns.

He reads it out loud as if they don’t know the content just yet, “Who are you?”

Chanyeol snickers absentmindedly and Kyungsoo too thinks it’s kind of funny. When said out loud, it really doesn’t seem like a proper response to a love letter or what the writer would’ve expected and wanted to get back but hey, that’s Minseok for you. If it had been Kyungsoo though, he wouldn’t even bother with a reply.

“So what do I do now?” Minseok looks at Chanyeol, the paper folded in half in his hand, “Just wave it around like you said?”

Chanyeol bobs his head and Minseok does as told, raising his right hand high above their heads and waves it in the air. A few people from the neighbouring table looks at him and the paper alternatingly, confusion apparent in their faces but Minseok pays them no mind. He does look around the cafeteria however, at the different crowds still having lunch and some just hanging out.

Kyungsoo too tries to see if anyone in particular is paying attention to their table aside from said neighbours. Who knows maybe he can see who Minseok’s admirer’s is. He comes up with nothing however, everybody seems to be busy in their own circle and even their neighbours have stopped looking over at them. From the corner of his eyes, he can tell none of his friends have spotted anything either.

It has been almost a minute now and Kyungsoo can tell that Minseok is almost giving up by the way his shoulders are slightly slumping and his arms giving out on him. He was about to declare the mission, if it can be called that, a failure when Minseok’s sudden intake of breath grabs his attention.

Kyungsoo immediately looks up at the paper and as suspected, the paper is slowly starting to glide away from Minseok’s thankfully loose grip. As before, nothing, well nothing visible at least is holding it up and just like that, the paper flies away, swerving expertly at students passing by as if being piloted by a tiny flying creature. They all follow with their eyes the direction it’s moving to but in the end feeling disappointment washing over them as the paper goes out of sight as it leaves the cafeteria through the door.

“Should I follow after it?” Jongin offers, ready to teleport away at moment’s notice but Minseok shakes his head.

“No need. It might scare the person away. Who knows?”

Kyungsoo agrees and smiles at Jongin, grateful for the offer on behalf of his friend. Jongin flushes prettily then and Kyungsoo is once more reminded of the obvious crush the boy has for him. There is no denying it anymore. But doesn't mean he has to acknowledge it or even reciprocate it, right?

They resume looking at the door to the cafeteria, as if expecting another piece of paper to fly through bearing a reply to Minseok’s letter. If he thinks about it, it’s funny how normal text messages are replaced by this method of communication. It’s not that they don’t have phones, they aren’t opposed to technology, but when one is a secret admirer and has a power to boot, it’s the only way really.

Too focused on looking for a mysteriously levitating piece of paper, they miss a familiar figure walking through the door and towards them.

 “Ugh, I’m starving. Does anyone have any leftovers?” Sehun pants, taking the empty seat next to Joonmyun, “What’s going on?” What is everyone looking at?”

Broken from their trance at last, Chanyeol takes no time to fill in Sehun on what happened and Kyungsoo slides his unfinished packed lunch towards the youngest boy. As informed by Jongin earlier, Sehun had to stay back in class to help out clean the classroom because apparently they had Chemistry practical before lunch and Sehun forgot to control his sneeze and well, things happened.

When Chanyeol finally finishes recalling the whole story to Sehun, Minseok wonders aloud, “Did you by any chance see the paper on your way here?”

Sehun contemplates for a second, still munching on the food before in the end shaking his head, “Sorry hyung, don’t think I saw anything like that.”

Minseok nods, figuring they’ll find out who his admirer is sooner or later anyway.

“Oh by the way!” Sehun calls up, remembering something, “I think I saw your mom though Jongin. I might be mistaken cause I didn’t have a clear view.”

Jongin perks up at this, “Really? That’s weird.”

Before any of them can probe deeper, Kyungsoo sees someone from his class running up to their table, heaving by the time she gets there.

“What’s up Sunyoung?” Chanyeol voices out first, being the only one other than Kyungsoo at the table who’s at least acquainted with her. Hell will freeze over first before Kyungsoo will initiate a conversation with someone other than his friends.

She waves a hand at him, brushing him off but knowing Chanyeol, Kyungsoo knows he doesn't take it to heart. Sunyoung turns to face Jongin instead, “You’re Kim Jongin right? The one who can teleport?”

All eyes are on him now and Jongin gulps visibly and slowly nods.

“Okay good. I thought it was that other guy,” Sunyoung sighs in relief before continuing, “The VP asked me to tell you to go to her office now. Your mom is there with her.”

He looks even more confused then, now that Sehun’s previous account is confirmed. Quickly packing his lunch back into his back pack, he waves bye at them and mouths a see you later at Kyungsoo before teleporting away. Sunyoung who is still there jumps back at the sudden disappearance, probably not used to seeing someone teleporting unlike the rest of them.

“Do you know what’s going on?”

She shrugs, “I’m just the messenger, Chanyeol.”

---

Kyungsoo never really does find out what’s happening until the end of the day when he stands outside by the buses, waiting for Jongin. He should’ve suspected something when he sees that Jongin isn’t already waiting for him as always the case for the past weeks. Once, even when Kyungsoo was the first one out of his class and then rushed out, Jongin was already there. Sometimes he thinks that Jongin might’ve teleported there from his own class but when he thinks about the 20 minutes resting period, he brushes it off.

Everyone is walking past him, eager to get back to their homes and boarding the buses that’s already waiting. To be honest, Kyungsoo is starting to worry because if Jongin doesn’t appear in the next few minutes, his bus will be leaving and he’ll be left with no way back. He might have to stay at school overnight. The thought makes him shiver and really, can Jongin just get there already?

It is Sehun who comes bounding up to him however and when Kyungsoo tiptoes to look over his shoulder, damn him and his never ending legs, there is no Jongin following him from behind.

“He’s not here,” Sehun mutters, having read Kyungsoo’s mind, “Our teacher told me that he left early, that’s why his mom was here, to ask permission from the VP. His grandfather just died so his family are going back to his hometown for the funeral.”

The first thing that came to mind was poor Jongin. He never heard Jongin mentioning his grandfather or any grandparent at all so he’s surprised to hear the news. But then he’s not that close with him either so makes sense if he doesn’t know all about Jongin yet.

That thought then makes him feel a little bit sad. It feels like there’s a sudden weight being dropped on him and smiling has suddenly become a chore, even more than usual that is.

But nah, he’s just feeling empathetic for Jongin. They may not be friends, though Jongin will beg to differ, but at least if not that, he’s Kyungsoo’s travel buddy. That’s something.

Uh-oh.

He’s Kyungsoo’s travel buddy and he’s not there now. Uh-oh.

As if reading his mind once more or most likely seeing the sudden dread on his childhood friend’s face, Sehun adds softly, “Yeah hyung, I’m afraid you’re going to have to go back on the bus.”

Kyungsoo makes a whiny sound at the back of his throat which doesn’t go unnoticed by Sehun. He has it in himself to chuckle slightly at Kyungsoo who under normal circumstances would’ve buried the boy deeper than any drilling machine can reach but he’s too busy shaking nervously at the thought of flying again after so long (only slightly over a few weeks but still long enough).

“Come on hyung,” Sehun urges, hand settling on his lower back as they walk towards the bus, “Do you want me to go with you?”

Kyungsoo shakes his head in response, “No need Sehun. This bus is not going to your area. It’s okay, Chanyeol should be there.”

Sehun seems to want to argue for a moment but Kyungsoo just scowls at him so he settles for waving as Kyungsoo boards the bus. Old man Park seems surprised to see him back on the bus but doesn’t comment. Chanyeol on the other hand waves him over loudly from the back as if Kyungsoo hasn’t ditched him for the past weeks.

Kyungsoo is glad that Chanyeol doesn’t question his presence, smart enough to figure out that Jongin’s not available after what happened during lunch. He holds Kyungsoo’s hands tight when the bus takes off. Kyungsoo’s grip probably hurts more than it should considering he inherits a little bit of his mother’s strength but he’s thankful nonetheless that Chanyeol doesn’t seem to want to pull back.

When they finally land safely back on the ground, they finally let go of each other’s hands. Chanyeol cursing and sniffing exaggeratedly saying that his fingers are broken and Kyungsoo blowing on his mildly scalded palm.

---

That night, Kyungsoo slept fitfully. He hasn’t had nightmares in a while but perhaps the events of the day has taken a toll on him. He’s in the school bus that’s already in the air however the difference is he’s all alone. Not even old man Park is there at the front, steering the vehicle as usual. There’s no Chanyeol to hold his hand and tell him they’re going to land soon even though they’ve been on the air for only a few seconds.

He could feel the blood draining from his face and the oh so familiar feeling of being so powerless and helpless engulfing him whole. He stomped his foot on the floor repeatedly but nothing happened. Of course not. He’s nowhere near the ground.

He started to scream then, voice getting louder by the second and the bus is now more falling an soaring upwards, he could see the ground getting closer but at this rate, he’s not going to survive the impact and- then he woke up.

Now, groggy and definitely still very sleepy, Kyungsoo munches on his cereal lifelessly, body going on auto pilot mode. His mom is bubbling on about something as she busies herself with the dishes. Only when Kyungsoo hears Jongin’s name being mentioned does he perk up.

“Why isn’t he here yet? Doesn’t he want to have breakfast here anymore?”

“He’s most likely not going to be in school today,” Kyungsoo answers, finishing the last of his cereal, “His grandfather died yesterday so he and his family went back to their hometown.”

She hums sympathetically then and say nothing further. Kyungsoo is glad. He’s still kind of out of it so indulging his mom for a conversation is not at the top of his priority list at the moment.

A few minutes later, Kyungsoo is walking out of the house just as the bus turns down to his street. Here we go again, he exhales wistfully.

As expected, Chanyeol is calling him over from the very back, a vacant seat next to him, “Morning Kyungsoo.”

He returns the greeting softly and if Chanyeol notices his sombre (more than usual) mood, he doesn’t mention it. There’s still a few minutes drive until take off and Kyungsoo basks in the grounded feeling as much as he can.

“Hi.” A voice from his left whispers and Kyungsoo turns around to see an unfamiliar face staring back at him.

“Hi?” It sounds more like a question than he’d intended but then again it is perfectly acceptable in this situation. It’s not everyday a stranger talks to him. He’s not exactly the most approachable person anyone has ever met, he can affirm to that. For all he knows, this stranger is probably not talking to him but somebody else. Perhaps he’s sitting on the invisible guy.

But that’s impossible and as if to confirm, the stranger speaks again, “Kyungsoo right?”

He nods, stopping himself just in time from asking how did he know because duh, Chanyeol called his name earlier. Not deterred by the not so enthusiastic response from Kyungsoo, the stranger begins again, “I’m-”

Whatever it is that he’s about to say or saying goes on deaf ears because old man Park is announcing take off and Kyungsoo’s hands starts their quest to hold on to something. His right finding Chanyeol’s almost naturally and his left settles for gripping on to the strap of his backpack.

The stranger must have felt Kyungsoo tensing when the bus begins its ascend as he finally stops talking momentarily, staring at Kyungsoo’s and Chanyeol’s clutched hands instead.

“Are you afraid of flying?”

If Kyungsoo was in his right mind, he would’ve snapped at the guy. He isn’t afraid of flying, it’s different than hating being away from the ground. If the guy has an elemental power, he would understand. But from the looks of it, Kyungsoo guesses not. His power is probably something lame like the ability to convert carbon dioxide to oxygen. Psh, plants can do that.

Alas, Kyungsoo’s not in the mood to defend himself so he just nods. The stranger hums thoughtfully then and resumes his staring at Kyungsoo’s hands.

“I want to try something,” the stranger pipes and before Kyungsoo knows it, his free hand is grabbed and his fingers entangled with that of the stranger’s.

Kyungsoo snaps his head in surprise, gaping at the boy who all of the sudden not only talks to him so freely but also invades his personal space. Before he could retort and curse out at the boy however, a sudden feeling washes over him.

All the anxiety and discomfort are gone in a second. He looks out the bus and is surprised to find that no, they haven’t landed yet and that they’re most definitely still in the air. His jaw slacks in shock and the fury he felt earlier for the boy is replaced with awe.

“What- How?”

He only gets a smile from the boy but their hands remain in each other’s grasp. Kyungsoo slowly releases the grip he has on Chanyeol’s hand, who has been observing their encounter silently for the past few minutes. He too seems to be in shock, surprised that Kyungsoo doesn’t look scared in the least anymore.

No words are exchanged for the remainder of the trip, Kyungsoo and Chanyeol still marvelling at the curious event and the boy’s smile never faltering. When the bus lands, for once Kyungsoo doesn’t feel the need to quickly run out of the bus to feel the ground again nor does he need to take a deep breath to regain his composure.

Before they know it, it’s just the three of them left on the bus and as if just realising their intertwined hands, Kyungsoo finally lets go.

“Thank you.”

“Anytime, Kyungsoo.”

“What did you say your name was?”

“Oh, right,” he chuckles, dimpled smile adorning his face, “I’m Yixing.”