Secret's out

Heartquake

He should have seen it coming, Sehun was like glue attached to his side more than ten years ago, following him around wherever he went and now that they are reunited, things haven’t changed at all.

He was in his room all pumped up to do his homework when he heard his mom screaming from downstairs. It’s not too uncommon considering her reactions when watching dramas or variety shows can be a little bit on the extreme side but what made him consider actually going down to check was when he heard another set of voice that is definitely not his dad’s unless he has somehow transformed into a woman in the past 24 hours without him knowing. Gender swapping isn’t his power either.

As soon as he stepped into the living room, he’s immediately squeezed in a hug and someone’s ruffling his hair and he vaguely heard that same voice from earlier cooing at him oh he’s so big now and Sehun-ah, aren’t you happy you’re reunited with your favourite hyung?

Everything then clicked at the mention of Sehun’s name and soon Kyungsoo found himself released from the uncomfortable embrace of Mrs Oh as his own mom pushed him upstairs, “Go hang out with Sehunnie in your room. I need to catch up with Jimin.”

So now he’s stuck in his room sitting by his desk as Sehun makes himself comfortable on his bed. Kyungsoo hopes his mom or Sehun’s don’t notice the rumble the house makes moments ago.

“Hyung, why is your room so boring? Why is everything so dull?” he mutters, standing up from the bed only to go around the room, opening his wardrobe and starts again, “Wow hyung, why is it all  black? And where do you keep the magazines? I won’t tell your mom.”

Kyungsoo thinks there is no point trying to complete his homework anymore, not with the intruder roaming around his room so he decides it’ll be better to indulge the boy for now, “What magazine?”

Sehun stares at him open mouthed at first and then he’s wriggling his eyebrows in a suggestive manner but remains silent for a few awkward moments despite Kyungsoo’s obviously extremely confused expression. And here he thought his face is pretty easy to read.

“Ugh fine, should’ve known you’re the innocent type,” Sehun sighs at last, flopping himself back onto the bed once more, “You’re just like Jongin.”

Kyungsoo still doesn’t know what the hell is Sehun going on about or why does it have to do with Jongin so he just shrugs like he always does and turns back around to his desk. His homework deserves a second chance and hopefully Sehun will realise soon enough that there is nothing particularly interesting for him to do in Kyungsoo’s room and decide to scram.

And then peace will be restored (if he manages to tune out the screeches and squealing of the women downstairs that is).

But then, you guessed it, doesn’t happen. Course not. Sehun just makes himself more comfortable on the bed as if planning to sleep which does seem probable seeing he’s silent at first but then he begins talking in that insufferable whiny voice of his, “You have no idea what I have to go through hyung. Jongin cannot stop talking on and on about you these past few days.”

Kyungsoo quirks an eyebrow at that, Sehun’ statement enough to make him pause the movement of his pencil for like five and a half seconds before deciding it’s not worth it and begins to solve the mathematics problem once more.

“He’s only known you for a week but I swear he worships you hyung.”

Either oblivious that Kyungsoo is hardly listening or he just likes talking to the air, it’s his element after all, Sehun goes on, “He’s always like ‘Kyungsoo hyung is so cute. He’s so nice and all that. Don’t take it the wrong way hyung but you were cuter back then, just saying.”

Slowly his brain processes it all and Sehun’s words finally sink in. Did Jongin really say he’s nice? For real?

Thinking back to the past few days after the weird never to be repeated long eye contact with Jongin, he doesn’t think there’s anything significant that can make Jongin ‘worship’ him at all.

Since that first time, both Sehun and Jongin have been joining them at lunch and Kyungsoo will forever question their life choices because why would they want to spend time with boring seniors like them?

On Wednesday, Jongin had sat across from him and Sehun on his left chattering as always with Joonmyun listening attentively. Kyungsoo was in his own world, not bothering to socialize other than with his food because as he had announced earlier, “I’m freaking starving!”

So overall nothing happened that day.

But oh, Minseok did get yet another mysterious floating love letter which contained something along the line of wanting to move Minseok’s heart. Cheesy as is what he thinks.

And that idiot Chanyeol forgot to bring his lunch but when he pouted at Kyungsoo with that puppy eyed look, he had no choice but to slide his own to the side so they could share. Not without telling Chanyeol that he owes him one though.

But that’s hardly worth mentioning.

The next day, they came in late. In fact Kyungsoo was already whooping and dancing with joy on the inside thinking that they’ve decided to ditch them but turned out they were just held back in class. Boohoo.

Though at least they sat at the other end of the table, far from him as a result so it’s all good in the end. For some reason however, Jongin had looked a little sad whenever Kyungsoo happened to look his way (the shape shifter Chanyeol was talking about was showing off somewhere behind him).

He had made extra effort on his lunch that day and it did look pretty yummy if he’s being honest so maybe Jongin was envious. Ha ha too bad.

And earlier that day, for the first time Jongin had teleported right next to their usual table, immediately taking the seat across from him, greeting everyone cheerfully.

Kyungsoo doesn’t spare him much glance afterwards however, looking up only when Sehun finally arrives, punching Jongin on the shoulder and hissing, “Couldn’t you have just waited for me for like a few seconds? Geez seriously.”

Jongin had smiled apologetically at Sehun before looking at Kyungsoo as if worried he’ll be mad for Sehun’s sake. He wasn’t of course so he just stared back blankly and Jongin looked away quickly, cheeks flushing. If only Joonmyun noticed maybe he could’ve led Jongin to his friend who apparently has healing powers. Jongin seemed feverish.

Minseok had received yet another mysterious note, this time it read ‘Dear Minseok, I like your smile. I’ll die happy if it’s the last thing I see. I wish you can be mine.”

Everyone at the table cooed as Minseok read it out loud, hiding his face in his hands once he’s done. Joonmyun was grinning widely at Minseok’s reaction and Chanyeol even managed to set the corner of the note on fire though thankfully Joonmyun reacted quickly enough as he calmly put it out and afterwards asked Sehun to dry it off. Minseok had glared at Chanyeol the whole time, taking the note back from a chuckling Sehun before tucking it safely in his pocket.

Naturally, the discussion as to who it is from begun despite the invisible guy still being the top suspect. Kyungsoo refrained himself from contributing but still couldn’t help himself from muttering under his breath, “Well Minseok hyung won’t be yours if you keep on being a coward and not do anything.”

Nobody seemed to have heard him but everyone’s attention did land on Jongin who’s suddenly sputtered his drink, thankfully none splashing on him.

“Are you okay Jongin?” Chanyeol questioned worriedly, rubbing Jongin’s back soothingly.

“Yes, yes I am,” he croaked, face so red that Kyungsoo actually was scared for his life. He’s too weak hearted to see someone die in front of him.

So to summarize, there is absolutely nothing that he’s done for Jongin to be calling him cute (he is most definitely not) and nice. Perhaps his definition of nice is different from other people. He laughs at Chanyeol’s jokes after all so that’s saying something.

But one thing Kyungsoo can take from all this is that Sehun is one blabbermouth who likes to make things up and basically just won’t shut up. Cursing himself for not thinking about it earlier, Kyungsoo takes the earplug from his drawer and puts it on, effectively dissolving Sehun’s one sided conversation into mere whirring.

“I’ve never seen him like this before hyung. I think he likes you. He did say something about wanting to woo you. Oh man, he’s definitely going to ask for my help since I’m your favourite person and all. I do owe him from that time he teleported me off from when I got locked in a toilet. , what do I do hyung?”

“Hyung?”

“Are you listening hyung?”

--

When Monday comes, it is welcomed for once because Kyungsoo spent his normally peaceful weekend with Sehun hanging around looking through his things, bbuing bbuing his way so Kyungsoo’s mom will bake cookies for him (gwiyomi song for a slice of chocolate cake on Sunday) and basically it felt like 2002 all over again.

This Monday, it seems like a repeat of last week because once more Old Man Park is late and Kyungsoo is melting in the late summer heat. He doesn’t bother elevating himself this time to look for the bus because effort so he just resolves to waiting patiently like the good kid he is.

When he boards once the bus arrives, as expected Kyungsoo sees Chanyeol at the very back waving and calling his name unnecessarily. There are empty seats on each of his side, most likely reserved for him.

Kyungsoo smiles gratefully, mood good enough despite the tardiness of the bus as he walks to the back but it quickly disappears when he sees who’s on the other side of one of the empty spot.

Without hesitation, Kyungsoo then goes for the one by the window but is quickly stopped when Chanyeol holds him back mouthing, “Invisible guy.”

Understanding dawns on him and he sighs heavily. Left with no choice, Kyungsoo reluctantly takes the only other available seat, Jongin beaming at him as he lowers himself down.

“Good morning hyung!”

Kyungsoo graces him with a nod, it’s good enough he thinks but not for Jongin apparently.

“How was your weekend?”

Kyungsoo groans in frustration. Where is Chanyeol when he needs him? Okay well he’s right there but he’s talking animatedly with the invisible guy and most definitely not saving him from having to talk to anyone like he always does. Some best friend he is.

Kyungsoo is still in the midst of deciding whether it’ll be okay if he asked to switch places with the invisible guy (seriously what is his name anyway) when Old Man Park shouts that they’re going to fly. The tell tale sign of nervousness begins to creep in already and Kyungsoo is hugging his backpack tightly on his lap. The take off is as always almost perfect and they’re flying smoothly in the air in no time at all.

But still Kyungsoo doesn’t feel relaxed at all or happy for that matter unlike Jongin who’s most likely flying for the first time as he tries to stretch his neck to look out the window, not noticing Kyungsoo’s discomfort.

Remembering that he hasn’t answered Jongin’s question yet and to take his mind off the distance from land he decides might as well just talk to him. And besides Jongin looks way too happy and he won’t allow that, not when he’s suffering like this.

“My weekend was fine.”

It’s a lie obviously but nobody really answer these things truthfully. Despite being awestruck, Jongin still manages to hear him as he turns back around to face Kyungsoo with a giddy smile.

“That’s great. Mine was good too and for some reason Sehun didn’t come to bother me.”

Kyungsoo grimaces slightly but keeps his mouth shut as Jongin talks some more, something about repainting his room. Kyungsoo steals a few glances at him. This Jongin doesn’t look like the shy Jongin he thought he knew from the past week. This is the longest they’ve talked, well in fact it’s the first time they’ve talked so it takes him by surprise.

Though still not enough to actually enjoy the company as he raises a hand up to stop Jongin with a sharp ‘shhh.’ There’s one thing he’s been dying to know and it’s definitely not what colour Jongin painted his room with.

“Why are you on the bus?”

Startled either by the question or the sudden interruption, Jongin stutters out, “Err- I felt like it?”

“You felt like going on the bus and travel for ten minutes at least rather than teleporting to school for just 1 second? Are you serious?”

Jongin opens his mouth to retort but what comes out is barely a whisper of “Yes?”

Kyungsoo tsks and shakes his head to show his disapproval, “I don’t know whether to call you stupid or just too innocent. If I had that power of yours I would use it wisely.”

Jongin laughs then, what the hell that wasn't even a joke and doesn't take offence at Kyungsoo’s insult but queries instead, “Why hyung? You don’t like flying?”

Before he can answer, the bus wobbles violently as it touches down and Old Man Park shouts ‘sorry’ from the front for the less than gracious landing.

In a blink of an eye, Kyungsoo rushes out of the bus, the other students know to give him way by now so at least there’s no shoulders bumping or pushing people off to the side anymore.

Jongin is by his side moments later, using his power at last and looking at him with concern, “Are you okay hyung?”

“What makes you think I’m not?” Kyungsoo wheezes breathlessly from his kneeling position on the ground, hair sticking to his forehead from sweat, “Psh, you’re ridiculous.”

“Don’t worry about him Jongin-ah. He’s always like this,” Chanyeol at long last graces them with his presence and helps pull Kyungsoo up.

The freshman doesn’t look convinced at all despite Kyungsoo regaining his colours back and Chanyeol happily ruffling his hair but follows them towards the school nonetheless.

---

Call him slow or dumb though he’ll insist he just doesn’t care enough to rack his brain out but lunchtime is when he finally reconsider what Sehun had said over the weekend. That Jongin likes him.

Him and Chanyeol are for once the first to arrive at the cafeteria, packed lunch laid out on the table already. Chanyeol’s telling him about his newly discovered talent – barbequing meat the perfect way when the two kids arrive.

Sehun was already going for the spot in front of Kyungsoo when Jongin pulls him back forcefully and stealing the spot instead. They share a look then which Kyungsoo cannot comprehend but it does look a lot like what he and Chanyeol do sometimes. He reasons it’s a best friend thing.

Shrugging the slightly strange atmosphere off, Kyungsoo continues eating his lunch. It’s uneventful on most parts other than Chanyeol trying to steal some of his food which results in some punches and smacks here and there. But after ten minutes or so, there’s a sudden niggling feeling on the back of his mind, sending shivers down his spine. He glances up to look at Minseok a few seats down but he doesn’t seem to be doing anything that can cause the temperature to fall. And besides, Chanyeol sitting in between them would counteract it back so that’s not the explanation he’s looking for.

Thankfully, he doesn’t give up there and instead looks towards the front at Jongin who is coincidentally looking at him. Kyungsoo quirks an eyebrow in question and Jongin surprisingly doesn’t look away bashfully as expected. Perhaps the stare isn’t coincidental after all. That explains the weird feeling, Kyungsoo thinks.

“How is your day so far hyung?”

Kyungsoo looks at Chanyeol momentarily but he is at the moment talking to Minseok so it can’t be Chanyeol that Jongin is talking to. The fact that Jongin is still looking straight at him doesn’t convince him much because he could have an eye problem for all he knows. But when Jongin prods with a softer ‘Kyungsoo hyung?’ then at last he blinks rapidly before replying, “It’s okay.”

Jongin smiles, pleased that he’s got a response from Kyungsoo, “That’s good. Mine was okay too.”

Kyungsoo nods, unsure as to what else to say or why Jongin is talking to him for that matter. Again. But then the smile on the younger’s face disappears immediately, replaced by a frown on his forehead which doesn’t look pretty on him. Not that he cares.

“This morning hyung, on the bus… were you really okay?”

There’s obvious concern in his voice and it takes Kyungsoo by surprise because to be honest, not even Chanyeol who claims to be his best friend cares that much since it’s something that is unavoidable.

Sehun who is sitting next to Jongin perks at that, “What happened earlier?”

Kyungsoo is about to tell him nothing happened because there is no need to alert Sehun because despite all of his flaws, which is a lot, Kyungsoo knows the boy really cares about him but Jongin is quicker, telling his friend all about the incident on the bus.

As expected, Sehun’s usually expressionless face is marred by a scowl now as he listens to Jongin’s account, quiet for a few moments before a thought seems to have struck him.

“Is it because you don’t like being away from land hyung?” Sehun ponders, looking at Jongin and then back to Kyungsoo, “I think I know how you feel. Sometimes my nightmare consists of me being stuck in a glass box filled with vacuum and I just feel so helpless. It’s the same for you right?”

If anyone could understand his fear, it would be Sehun. He should’ve known that. Granted it never happened to him because the chances are miniscule but having such nightmares are close enough and Kyungsoo is thankful for that.

And so he nods, for once not bothered that he’s shown his weakness.

By now, everyone at the table is paying attention to them, his older three friends listening contemplatively, they know about this beforehand after all. Jongin meanwhile, gasps dramatically.

“No wonder you looked so pale hyung!”

The statement earns him a glare from Kyungsoo so he shuts up after that but even so there’s still that trace of worry on his face. By then, Kyungsoo is slowly beginning to figure it out.

The lights in the cafeteria flickers just then, Kyungsoo has a suspicion that it’s one of his classmates’ doing, and when it finally stops Sehun smacks both hands on the table all of the sudden, looking so very thrilled with himself. A bad feeling creeps up on Kyungsoo.

“I have an idea!” he shouts excitedly, “Jongin can teleport you to school hyung! And from school as well!”

Instantaneously, there’s a chorus of good idea!, awesome!, I’ll be alone but that’s fine, yes yes yes yes a thousand times yes I wouldn’t mind at all and lastly no, never. Sehun just smiles smugly.

Kyungsoo’s additional protests are drowned out by Minseok and Joonmyun feeding on Sehun’s already enormous ego with praises, Chanyeol gushing on about how he didn’t know Jongin can bring people along too and that he wants to try and lastly, Jongin’s too wide grin aimed at Kyungsoo.