Final

5000 Miles

WARNING: DID NOT PROOFREAD! I'm sorry for any mistakes though. ^-^ Length:7754 words, enjoy!


The Night Before

 

"You're leaving?" Yixing watched as Joonmyun was packing.

 

"Yes, I'm really leaving. Only for six weeks," the blonde looked over at his boyfriend. He smiled and sat on top of the suitcase that he was attempting to get close. "I'm almost done. In a few weeks I will have my doctor's license and I'll be able to get to practice in one of the big hospitals. This is a big opportunity for me. For us."

 

"That's a long time," the brunette crossed his arms over his chest. He knew his boyfriend would have to leave eventually. Joonmyun was required to do volunteer work before he could get his doctor's license. He had chosen to do Doctors Without Borders and they called him. It was for a good cause, but it was the worst timing. The older male's daughter, Jieun, had just recently come to live with them after her mother passed away. The little girl was Joonmyun's daughter from his previous marriage. The poor girl was only six and already had to deal with the fact that she now had two dads and no mom. On top of that, she and Yixing had only met a week ago and they didn't exactly get along well. Yes, Joonmyun was leaving at the worst possible time. The brunette shook his head "Please don't go. If not for me, stay for Jieun. You're her father and she needs you."

 

"Xingie, I have to go," the Korean male walked over and put his arms around the other's waist. "Besides, this will give you a chance to bond with Jieun-ah." He kissed his boyfriend's forhead and gave his signature smile "I promise, I'll write when I can. You won't even notice I'm gone." He tilted the brunette's head up and lightly kissed him "I promise. I'll be back before you even realize it."

 

"I still don't think you should go," Yixing held Joonmyun's wrist. "Maybe you can go another time. Not now when Jieun and I need you to be here."

 

"I'll be back soon. Think about all the great things that will happen for us once I finish. We'll be able to move out of this place and into a house," the blonde held tight to his love "Xing, think about all the good that's going to come out of this."

 

Yixing knew they would be better off, but being away from Joonmyun for such a long time scared him. But they needed this. They couldn't raise Jieun in their tiny apartment and they were barely making ends meet anyway. The younger male turned away and shook his head. No things weren't perfect, but that didn't mean Joonmyun needed to leave. Long distance relationships never last. People say that you can make it work, but it's not true. They don't work. Yixing didn't want Joonmyun to leave if they were going to wound up apart. No, he loved the other way too much to let that happen. It hurt too much to even think of the possibility of something like that happening to them. "I don't want you to leave me. What are we supposed to do without you?"

 

The elder smiled and kissed the top of Yixing's head "Alright now tell me what you're really thinking. You were so excited for me before now you're acting like this." He slipped his arms around the other's waist and nuzzled his shoulder "What's wrong?"

 

"I'm scared Joonmyun," the brunette touched his boyfriend's face "You know what happens with long distance relationships. Remember what happened to Jongin and Kyungsoo. I don't want that to be us."

 

Jongin and Kyungsoo. How could he forget? Their friends had fallen apart after their two-year separation. They had been a perfect couple and Jongin's two years in the army had changed everything. Joonmyun shook his head and kissed the side of the Chinese male's head "We're not them. I won't let that happen to us." No, he wouldn't even be away that long. Nothing would change between them. "Listen to me. I'm only going to be gone for six weeks. Write me every day and I will write you back okay? I promise nothing will happen to us, okay?"

 

Yixing turned and nodded "Okay. If you have faith then I will too. I love you Kim Joonmyun."

 

"I love you too Zhang Yixing," Joonmyun kissed his lover again "I promise, I'll be back before you know it."


 

#1

Dear Joonmyun,

 

I know it's only been a few days since you left and you probably won't get this, but I decided to write you anyway. How was your flight? I remember you telling me it would take you eight hours to get there. Or was it longer? Oh wait. No, you said your first stop is in London. I remember now. We talked about going there one day to see the sights together. There were so many things we had planned to do together. I guess we have to put those things on hold for now, huh? It's okay though. My English isn't all that great yet so this will give me time to get better. Anyway, how was your flight? Did you make any new friends? I took Jieun to the park yesterday where we met another little girl named Jessica. They got along really well. I think Jieun's made her first friend in the neighborhood. I'm so happy. I thought she would have a hard time adjusting, but she seems to be doing fine. I think she likes people outside more than she likes me. I guess I'm not her most favorite person in the world, that's you. Her appa. She's hoping you come back soon so you'll treat her to food. I don't blame her though; you cook so much better than I do. Maybe that's why she doesn't like me as much. Haha. Well, I'm trying my best and I think she'll warm up to me soon. Maybe. It's probably also because I don't spoil her like you do. One look into her big brown eyes and you give her whatever she wants. She says I'm mean because I don't give in as easily. But what am I supposed to do? I can't give her cookies before dinner; it'll ruin her appetite. I don't think that makes me me mean, just a good parent. Gosh, I don't know what to do. You should come home sooner. When did you say you would be back? Some time in August right? Well hurry up and come home. I don't know how long Jieun's gonna put up with me. Besides, we both miss you very much.

 

Saranghae,

Xing

 

#7

Dear Yixing,

 

I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you. The flight to London was a long one and yes, it took eight hours. I didn't sleep as much as I would have liked to though. It's something about sleeping on planes and in cars that I just can't do. You already knew that didn't you? Remember when we took that roadtrip and I drove the whole way because I couldn't sleep. You kept begging me to take a rest and I wouldn't do it. I remember. Nine hours of driving and not even a droop in my eyelids. I'm sorry about making you worry then, but you understand don't you? I just can't sleep on plane or in the car. Oh, and I didn't see any of the sights. Nope, I just went to sleep as soon as I got to the hotel. And don't worry, I got a full eight hours. I know how Jieunnie worries about my sleep. She's smart for her age and so caring too. Anyway, not much has happened. We got here Thursday afternoon. Friday we slept a lot and relaxed. I met another doctor. His name's Kim Jongdae and he's working to get his license too. It's cool knowing that I'm not the only one. Imagine all the things we'll be able to do one I become a real doctor. I promise I'll get you that house that you've always wanted. You remember the one we saw, right? It's the one away from the city so that you can finally plant a garden and Jieun can run around and play. I know it costs a lot, but we'll be able to get it. You know, I saw a rockinghorse in a shop window. I was thinking of getting for Jieun behaves while I'm away. I think that'll help you to manage her. I know it's hard, but she'll warm up to you soon. It's good that she's making new friends. I didn't think things would work out after what happened to her mother. But I'm glad I was wrong. When I come back, Xing, everything will be perfect. I promise. Write me back soon, okay?

 

 

Wo Ai Ni,

Joonmyun

 

#13

Dear Joonmyun,

 

I told Jieun about the rockinghorse and she's extremely excited. She still doesn't like me and says I'm a meanie, but her behavior has improved. She's not home very often anymore though. She's always over Jessica's house now. I can only get her to come home when I've received your letters. She's likes to sit on my lap while I read them aloud to her. It has officially become our bedtime routine. In fact, I read her your last letter and she fell asleep probably dreaming of ponies. She told me she wants one for her birthday. I put her to bed not too long ago and now I'm sitting here writing to you. Looking around this place reminds me of so many things. You know what I'm thinking of now though? I'm reminded of when we first moved in and the place was totally empty. You remember right?

 

Joonmyun looked at the empty space in front of him and smiled as he sat the box on the floor "Welcome home. This is it; our first place."

 

Yixing looked around and as much as he was happy to have somewhere to live, this place wasn't his first choice. The wood floors were dirty and scratched. The walls were a weird yellow color and the paint was chipping as well. The place looked like it hadn't been even remotely cleaned between tenants and the placed seemed utterly disgusting. "Joonie, I know this place was cheap, but it could certa--AH!" The Chinese male practically jumped into the blonde's arms and held on for dear life as he saw a mouse scurry across the floor. "No, nope. We're leaving right now. I can not live here with that thing running around. No!"

 

Joonmyun smiled as he caught his boyfriend by the waist "Xing, relax. It's just a mouse and this place isn't that bad. If we clean it up a little, it'll be fine. Besides, it's rent is half the price it would be somewhere else anyway." He kissed the top of the other's head before letting him go. He went to open up the torn curtains so that the sun shone through the dirty window. He smiled as he turned back to look at Yixing "I know it's not perfect, but we can make it like our own. We just have to fix it up a bit."

 

The brunette pouted and crossed his arms. When he had agreed to move in with Joonmyun, this was not what he was expecting. But what could he do about it? They were two broke college students. Well Joonmyun wasn't exactly broke considering his father was the owner of K-Corp, one of the biggest electronic companies in the world. But Joonmyun wasn't one to use his father's wealth to make it. He wanted to do things himself especially after he had met Yixing. Therefore, with both their salaries, they were lucky to have a place to live at all. Yixing sighed as he reluctantly smiled at his lover's optimism. He walked over and hugged Joonmyun who welcomed him with open arms. "Fine, but if I get touched by a mouse, I'm dumping you."

 

Joonmyun smiled and looked down at his boyfriend "I promise, this is gonna be great."

 

You were right. I never thought I would ever like this place as much as I do now. I'm sorry for complaining so much, but it was gross. Remember how it took us three hours to clean the bathroom? Oh and how we didn't have a bed until your parents insisted on giving us one as a housewarming gift. You were so reluctant to taking but I was practically jumping for joy to actually have furniture. That was really all I could think of then. I wanted nothing more than to move out of here as quickly as possible. I don't know how I'm gonna be able to leave this place when we get a real house. I know we can't be a proper family here, but I'm gonna miss it here. Remember how we framed our first selca here? I've been staring at it since I started writing. It's been three years since we moved in and that photo never seems to get old. Maybe we should get a new frame for it when you come home? I can't believe this is only the second week. You're coming home soon right? I miss you a lot. I feel like our home is empty without you. Please hurry home. I want to take one last photo. One with you, Jieun and I before we leave. Okay? Good night Angel.

 

Saranghae,

Yixing

 

#20

Dear Yixing,

 

Ah I remember our first moments in our apartment. It's not something I can easily forget. It was one of those moments where I knew I had to take care of you. Is it weird that I'm saying this now? I hope not, but you should know that ever since that day, I ve been working hard. It must sound corny but I'm doing my best because I want you to be happy. Mian, you must think I'm a greaseball. I might be, but I guess that's why you love me right? And yes, I promise to be home so we can take a photo together, all three of us. I had the day off today. I decided to go to out to town and look around a bit. It reminds me of home a bit. I saw a couple today sitting in the park being all romantic with each other. It was quite adorable to be honest. Remember our first date? I was so nervous that day. It was the best and worst day of my life. I don't know if I should say that, but it's true.

 

Joonmyun paced back and forth, not knowing what to do with himself. Tonight was his first date with Yixing and he was nervous. No, nervous didn't begin to cover the panic attack he was so close to having. He had only confessed to the other guy a week ago and now they were going on a date. That wasn't weird or anything, right? He sighed thinking that maybe this wasn't such a good idea. But how could it not be? He and the Chinese transfer student got along really well. Even after Joonmyun had so awkwardly asked him out. He took a deep breath before checking his clothes to make sure he looked decent. He was dressed simply in a white shirt, a blue striped cardigan and white vans. He held a single tiger lily in one hand as he gently knocked on the door with the other. He practically burned a hole through the door with how hard he was staring at it. He should just leave now and save himself the embarassment. He was about to turn away when the door opened. He looked back and saw Yixing standing there in a light grey sweater, black skinny jeans and black boots. The Chinese male looked absolutely beautiful. Joonmyun awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck and held out the flower "Uh, these are for you."

 

The brunette smiled and took the flower "Why thank you. Don't look so nervous Joonmyun; it's just a date." Although he said it, Yixing couldn't hide the fact that he was nervous as well. He had been preparing all day and now it was finally here. He was pretty excited to be honest, but he wasn't sure if he looked the way he was supposed to. Granted they were just going out to dinner, but he knew the kind of family Joonmyun came from and Yixing prayed he wasn't underdressed. "So are you ready?"

 

"Huh? Uh yeah," Joonmyun snapped out of his staring  and held out his hand "Let's go."

 

Yixing took the other's hand with a light blush staining his cheeks. He raised an eyebrow as they started walking "So where are we going exactly?"

 

"Where do you think we're going?"

 

"Yah," the brunette playfully smacked the elder's arm "Is that anyway to talk to your date?"

 

Joonmyun laughed "Mian, but take a guess. I'll give you a hint: it's in walking distance of your house."

 

"No kidding," Yixing felt his nervousness disappearing. It didn't even feel like they were on a date. It was more like they were just two people taking a night stroll. He smiled at the thought. It wasn't awkward anymore and they just acted like they usually did around each other.

 

Soon they came to a stop in front of the park gates. Yixing looked at Joonmyun "What are we doing here?" As far as the Chinese male knew, the park closed around seven. It was certainly too late for them to go inside.

 

"I'll show you," Joonmyun pulled the younger along and led him to a picnic table. The tablecloth was red plaid and there was a picnic basket with its contents sat out on the table. All this lit up by little tealight candles. Yixing was speechless. This had to be the cutest thing he had ever seen in his life. It was simple, but clearly there was effort put into it. "Can I see that lily?" In his amazed state, the brunette had forgotten all about the flower in his hand. He handed it to Joonmyun who took it before placing behind the younger male's ear. "There," he smiled angelically "Now you look as cute as our picnic."

 

Yixing laughed at the blonde "You're such a cheeseball." He looked up as a blush spread across his face "But I think I like it. Almost as much as I just like you, Kim Joonmyun."

 

I like you too Zhang Yixing. I love your name. I love the way it seems roll perfectly of my tongue. Maybe it's because I say it so much. I hope you don't mind but I might just wear it out. It's beautiful just like you were that night. It's certainly not a night I can easily forget, nor will I ever. It was awkward but it ended nicely. I remember trying to kiss you and you rejecting me. You wanted our first kiss to be special. And it was when you finally let it happen. I don't know why I'm writing about this, but I thought it would be worth talking about. Ah, it's lights-out now. As much as I like it here, I'd rather be at home in bed with you. Good night Yixing. Dream about me.

 

Wo Ai Ni,

Joon

 

#26

Dear Joonmyun,

 

Well she finally snapped. Jieun has officially stopped talking to me. In fact, she hasn't spoken to me in two days. Honestly, I don't really know how she's pulling it off. Occasionally she'll ask me for something, but she otherwise ignores my existence. I'm not sure what I did, but it apparently upset her. I wonder if it had anything to do with that drawing she showed me.

 

"Yixing ahjusshi," the little girl tottered into Yixing's office while he was responding to one of Joonmyun's letters "I drew a picture."

 

"Jieun-ah, how many times have I told you to call me Baba," he looked down at her. Naturally she gave him a face that read 'Yeah right, like that's ever gonna happen.' He sighed. He had been trying so hard to get the little girl to open up to him. He wanted to be closer so that when Joonmyun came back, they would be a proper family. He bit back a frown and picked up the little girl to sit on his lap "Anyway, show ahjusshi what you drew."

 

The little girl held up a drawing with four stick figures on it. Two were close together with hearts drawn over their heads, one was smaller than the rest and one stood far away from the others.  The couple and little one stood together almost like a family. Jieun pointed to them "That's me, appa and my new mommy. And that one," she pointed to the one farthest away from the rest "is Yixing ahjusshi."

 

New mommy? Did Jieun think that Joonmyun was going to get married to another woman? "Jieun-ah, why am I so far away from your appa and you?"

 

"Because umma always said that Yixing ahjusshi was just a phase and that two boys can't be together. And she said appa was gonna come back so we could be happy again. Umma promised me a real family with appa and a new mommy."

 

Yixing took a breath as he tried to hold back his tears. He shouldn't have been so shocked to hear it, but he was. Jiyoung had blamed him for what had happened between her and Joonmyun. Though he didn't even enter the picture until six months after their divorce. He had even tried to apologize, for something that he didn't even do. That didn't make it any better, in fact it made her even more angry. She had kept Jieun away from Joonmyun for three months after that. She must have used that time to fill the child's head with all kinds of lies and hatefulness. "Jieun-ah, shouldn't I be closer?"

 

"Why?" The girl stared him as is if he were insane.

 

"Because your appa and I are getting married soon," Yixing smiled. "The three of us are going to be a family: your daddy, me and you."

 

"Nuh uh, mommy said that two boys can't get married. She said that everyone will hate them if they even try."

 

"Jieun-ah," Yixing didn't know how to explain it. It was hard explaining to a six-year-old that she was getting a new dad instead of a mother. "Jieun, I'm going to be your new umma."

 

"Boys can't be ummas. That's weird."

 

"Jieun-ah, I know that you think it's weird but it's true."

 

"Nuh uh," the girl shook her head furiously "No you're lying! You're a big fat liar just like mommy said!" The little girl jumped down and ran back toward her room with tears running down her face.

 

"Jieun-ah!" Yixing called after her even after he heard the door to her room slam shut. He felt his heart break into a million pieces. It was terrible for her to have to hear something like that at such a young age. He hadn't wanted it to come out like that. He wanted to wait until he would tell her that she was the flower girl at the wedding. He closed his eyes and when he felt something wet run down his cheeks, he realized he was crying. He wiped the tears away only to see that some had actually already dripped onto his letter. It smudged the letters as Yixing tried to wipe the water away. That only made the pain worse.

 

I'm sorry if the words are smudged. Telling you this still hurts quite a bit. And she has yet to forgive me. I prayed so hard that day that you would come home. I wanted you to just appear next to me and tell me that everything was going to be okay. Was that selfish? I didn't know what else to do. I knew if you were here then you would fix everything. She would just jump into your arms and everything would be okay. Joonmyun, what if she never speaks to me again? She's so young and she already blames be for being why she doesn't have a new umma. I know having kids is hard, but I never thought it would hurt this much. I don't want to hurt her, but I can't leave you either. I hope she'll just let it go and we can move on. I love you both so much and I want us to be happy. I'm tired. Please hurry home, I need you.

 

Saranghae,

Yixing

 

#27

Dear XingXing,

 

Relax and take a deep breath. Jieun is so young that sooner or later she won't even remember why she was mad. Everything will be okay. So please don't cry because I hate to see you upset. Trust me, this will be over by time my letter reaches you. I will be home soon, just two more weeks. We will be a happy family just like I promised you. You remember long ago when I had my doubts too. We fought so bad that I thought you might really leave me.

 

Joonmyun sat at the desk trying to get his homework done. Trying, being the keyword here. It was hard to concentrate when Yixing was playing guitar right next to him. Normally, that wouldn't be an issue, but the blonde had been staying up until three in the morning and getting up at six for the past few weeks. Needless to say, he was a little more irritable than normal. He looked over at the other male sitting on the floor just a few feet away. He couldn't get angry, Yixing was just writing songs as usual. He sighed as he tried to block out the noise. "Joonmyun-ah," the brunette called "Wanna hear the song I wrote in class?"

 

The elder shook his head "I can't right now. I have to finish this before tomorrow."

 

"Joon-ah, you've been working a lot lately. You can take a break and come back to it later."

 

Come back to it later? No, that meant he would never finish. He shook his head, never looking up from his paper "I can't. I have to finish by tomorrow."

 

Yixing put his guitar down and walked over to his boyfriend. He leaned on the other's shoulders "Come on Joonmyun-ah, it'll be good for both of us. We both have been working hard; it's not bad to reward ourselves right?"

 

Did Yixing just say what Joonmyun thought he had said? They had both been workig hard? Seriously? Joonmyun had been running on three hours of sleep every day this week while Yixing just sits and plays his guitar all day. He gets to go to bed at night and actually sleep for eight hours. Yixing got to go to class and play music, go to work and play music, come home and play music and then sleep. Joonmyun went to class and sat in lectures, went and sat in a cubicle at work, came home and wrote papers then didn't sleep until early in the morning. No, there amount of work was on two totally different scales. He turned around in his chair "What did you say?"

 

"I said we both have been working hard a--"

 

"Stop," Joonmyun interrupted "I have been working hard. You haven't done anything. I go to school and work so that we can live here! You don't do anything!"

 

"What?! Excuse you?" Yixing had never heard Joonmyun say anything like that ever before. Maybe he was tired, but that didn't make it okay. The younger male shook his head "Look Joonmyun, I know you're tired. So I'm not gonna respond to that."

 

The blonde scoffed "And what would you say? That you work as hard as I do? You sit around and play your stupid guitar all day while I bust my trying to actually do something with my life! I actually try to take care of us! If it were up to you, we'd be hobos on the street!"

 

Yixing snapped. "How dare you?! Look, if you don't like things the way they are then go back to your rich kid life! Drop out of school and be your father's heir to the throne. I'm sure your family would love to see you come crawling back after being down in the slums with me! And even I were homeless, at least I would be happy!"

 

"Maybe I should go back! If I would've known this was what I was getting a failure for a boyfriend! Seriously?! You bring in like a hundred bucks a month and pay for nothing! I do everything! Just admit it, you're a gold digger just like the rest."

 

Yixing slapped Joonmyun hard across the cheek. He glared at the male standing across from him. This was not the person he had fallen in love with. "You're such an idiot because I loved you for everything but that." The younger grabbed his keys and left. Joonmyun stood completely still even after the other was gone. He was still angry. No longer at Yixing, but at himself. None of those things were true and he knew it. Even if the other didn't bring in much monetarily, he did other things. Yixing always did the chores. Yixing always made dinner before Joonmyun came home. Yixing always asked Joonmyun about his day when he walked through the door. Yixing always took care of him even when Joonmyun forgot to thank him. He did all these things without once even being asked. Yixing was perfect. Joonmyun dropped to his knees and slammed his fist against the floor. He had let that perfect person wall out the door. He wasn't sure the other was even coming back after that. Joonmyun wanted nothing more than to apologize and beg for his lover to return home.

 

That was the worst day of my life. I had nightmares the whole week you were gone. When I had gotten sick, you rushed back as if nothing had ever happened. I hadn't eaten for days after you left. I didn't leave our bed until you came back. I'm sorry Yixing. I was supposed to be trying to make you feel better. Instead, I brought up memories that were bad for both of us. Don't worry though, I would never say those things to you ever again. I was wrong. You are smart, beautiful and talented. You are the most caring person I have ever met in my entire life. If anything, I'm lucky to have you. I don't know if I say it enough, but I appreciate everything you do for me and Jieun. I know it's hard and I can't always comfort you, but you're strong. You always wprk hard to get what you want. Please be strong now. I know you can do this. You're Zhang Yixing, you can do anything. Cheer up. Everything will be alright, I promise.

 

Wo Ai Ni,

Joonie

 

#31

Dear Joonmyun,

 

Did I ever tell you how much of a greaseball you are? Seriously, sometimes I wonder how your parents deal with you. Though I think they've done an amazing job. When you told me you wanted me to meet them, I thought you were crazy. I mean we had only been dating for a month and here you were asking me to meet your parents. I was overwhelmed to say the least.

 

"Yixing, I want you to come with me tonight," Joonmyun looked up at his boyfriend. He was currently laying on the couch with his head in the other's lap. They had decided to spend their Saturday together inside watching movies.

 

"You want me to go where?" Yixing ran a hand through his lover's blonde hair. Joonmyun hadn't told him of any plans of going out tonight. They certainly didn't have a date because he would have remembered something like that.

 

Joonmyun sat up before taking the younger's hands into his own "I'm going back home tonight to have dinner with my parents. I want you to come with me to meet them."

 

"What?" the Chinese male's eyes widened in shock. He blinked about a hundred time as he let the words sink in. The elder want Yixing to meet his parents. He was going to meet the head of K-Corp and his wife. It was like meeting royalty. It was like a rags to riches kind of tale. He was nobody off the street dating the son of a man who could probably buy all of DisneyWorld if he wanted to. Well that was unsettling. What if they didn't approve of him? What if they didn't like him because he wasn't rich like them? What if they thought he was the reason that their son was gay? Joonmyun had never mentioned anything about his family disapproving of his uality, but still. Yixing couldn't breathe. It felt like every drop of life was fading from him.

 

"Xing!" Joonmyun's voice penetrated his thoughts "Xing!"

 

The brunette snapped back to reality. He was still just sitting next to Joonmyun on the sofa. Everything was still normal. "Sorry," he looked down at their hands "Joonmyun-ah, I don't know if I'm ready to meet your parents yet. What if they don't like me? What if they hate me?!"

 

"Xingie, calm down," Joonmyun pulled the other close to him "They are going to love you. You're too perfect for them not to love you. Besides, I'll be next to you the entire time." He pulled back with his hands on Yixing's shoulders "But, if you really don't want to go then you don't have to. I just want to show them the best thing that's ever happened to me."

 

Yixing slapped Joonmyun's shoulder as a blush came across his face "Shut up you greaseball."

 

"Is that a yes?"

 

"Fine but promise me you'll hold my hand."

 

"I promise."

 

Dinnertime rolled around much faster than Yixing would have liked. Sooner, rather than later, he found himself sitting across Mr and Mrs.Kim at a really fancy restaurant. Not the kind of place middle-class people go to on rare occasion, but a place only the true upper class can even walked. Even though he was dressed in a suit, Yixing felt like he really didn't belong here. He stared down at the table and kept his silence while the Kims caught up with their son.

 

"So," Mr.Kim looked at him "Tell us about yourself. Are you in school?"

 

"Yes sir," Yixing looked up at the man. Bad idea. His face was so intimidating and his eyes looked so serious. "I'm a Music major."

 

Mr.Kim raised an eyebrow "And what do you plan to do?"

 

"I was hoping to start a band or maybe be a composer."

 

"Where are you from?"

 

"I'm from China, but I moved here about a year ago."

 

"Where do you live now?"

 

"On campus sir. In a dorm."

 

"Oh stop it," Mrs.Kim scolded her husband "You're scaring him." At this point, Yixing was shaking and he bowed his head. Joonmyun squeezed his hand and drew circles with his thumb. "I'm sorry about my husband dear, he's a little overprotective. He just wants to make sure you're different from the rest.

 

Different? Ah, from the other people who had been with Joonmyun. They wanted to make sure he wasn't in this for the money. Joonmyun smiled "Xing isn't like them; he's not even close."

 

The younger male smiled as he nodded "I didn't know anything about Joonmyun's background until recently. But that's not why I like him. He's a nice guy who has clearly been raised well by his parents. Thank you so much for sharing what is most precious to you with me. I hope you will approve of me staying by your son's side."

 

"Ah so polite," Mrs.Kim squealed next to her husband "Joonie, you should be more like your friend here. Can I take you home with me?"

 

"My wife likes you and that's all I need to know. It's nice meeting you Yixing, treat our son well."

 

Yixing nodded enthusiastically as he smiled at Joonmyun.

 

That had to be the most nerve-wracking night of my life. Of course I learned that your parents weren't rich snobs or anything. In fact, I feel like I'm a part of the family now. Maybe I should give them a call just because. We should visit them when you come back. Me, you and Jieun. I'm sure she would love to meet her grandparents. Besides, grandparents give the best toys, right? Haha. I'm in a good mood today and I hope you are too. Not too much longer, right? Be careful on your way home. I miss you lots.

 

Saranghae,

Yixing

 

 

#36

Dear Xing,

 

So much has changed over the past few years. I still remember when we first met. I didn't think you liked me at all. You were so to yourself that I didn't think you'd even talk to me. Imagine my surprise when you asked me for directions that day. It was kind of funny to ne honest. It was cute though and it's the reason why we're here now.

 

Joonmyun looked over at his boyfriend who was still asleep. He leaned on his arm and just watched the other for a moment. He was so cute when he snored with his mouth slightly open. His chocolate hair falling over his eyes. The softness of his skin. The way he got that little pink blush when the blonde ran a thumb over his cheek. To be quite honest, Joonmyun loved everything about Yixing. His lover was perfect without even trying. He smiled as he kissed the younger's cheek before getting out of bed. He had a lot to do today. Everything had to be perfect.

 

Yixing woke a little later than usual and he rolled over, patting the sheets for Joonmyun. "Joon-ah," he called drowsily "Joon-ah!" He rubbed his eyes and looked over to see his boyfriend gone. He sat up quickly "Joonie!" That was weird. Yixing was usually the first one up. "Kim Joonmyun!" No answer. Was he gone? Maybe he was getting breakfast. Usually he would leave a note or something. The brunette stretched and got up to look for his boyfriend. Where could he be? He went to the kitchen and saw a sticky note on the fridge: Go back to bed. What? "Go back to bed?" he mumbled "What is that supposed to mean?!" He looked around the entire apartment for his boyfriend only to see that Joonmyun really wasn't there. He looked back down at the sticky note in his hand and did what it said. He went to climb back on his side when he noticed a card on Joonmyun's side table. He reached for it and opened it:

 

Good Morning Xing,

 

Let's play a game today. I promise it will be fun. If you follow my directions there's a prize at the end.

No matter what, you can't give up, okay? So get dressed and go to Kyungsoo's house.

 

Saranghae,

Joonmyun

P.S. I love your messy bed hair.

 

Yixing blinked. What did Kyungsoo have to do with anything? He was their friend that lived down the street. Well it didn't matter. He had to do it if he was going to find out where his boyfriend was. Yixing showered and quickly got dressed. He brushed his hair a bit and put on a black beanie and jacket. It was early September and it was a little chilly outside. He put his hands in his pockets and wakled to Kyungsoo's place. It was a nice little house that him and his boyfriend Kai were renting. He wondered if the owl-eyed boy knew what was going on.

 

"Kyungie," Yixing called as he knocked on the door.

 

After a minute or so the door opened to show a short boy with wide eyes standing in his bathrobe "Yes? What do you want?"

 

"Kyungie," the taller boy waved a hand in front of the other's face "It's Xing-hyung. You have something for me, right?"

 

"Huh? Oh yeah," Kyungsoo disappeared for a second before coming back "That idiot boyfriend of yours dropped this off. Please tell him not to knock on my door at 7am ever again."

 

Yixing nodded "I'll let him know." They waved goodbye and Kyungsoo shut the door. Yixing looked at the sticky note: The flower shop should be open. The flower shop? Great now he had to go all the way in the opposite direction. He sighed. Well he had to find Joonmyun.

 

After a forty minute jog that could have been his morning run, Yixing stood at the flower shop out of breath. He bent down with his hands on his knees for a moment before going inside. He smiled at the florist, who's nametag read Xiumin, when he got to the counter "Um did a Kim Joonmyun leave something here?"

 

"Leave something?" the round-faced boy tilted his head "Like what dear?"

 

"A note for a Zhang Yixing maybe?"

 

The cute boy ran his finger down a list of his bouquets and their recipients "Ah! Found you. Give me one moment." The florist went through a bunch of flowers before he came back with the right bouquet of a dozen tiger lilies. "I hope you like them, he picked out each one himself."

 

Yixing smiled as he took the flowers "Thank you." He bowed about five times to Xiumin before leaving the shop. He smiled as he looked down at the bouquet. Tiger lilies were his favorite and Joonmyun knew that. Why was he doing this though? Yixing looked at the card that came with the flowers: You love the candy shop.

 

By the time he got to the candy shop, it was afternoon and Yixing was tired. He was ready to give up and just wait for Joonmyun come home. He sighed as he went inside and came face-to-face with a blonde, doe-eyed boy. "Hi, my name's Luhan. How can I help you today?"

 

"Um, I'm looking for something from a Kim Joonmyun?" Yixing felt so awkward.

 

"Oh! Are you Yixing?" The blonde smiled even bighter "Your boyfriend was in here this morning. He wanted me to give you this." The blonde boy took a small box out of his pocket and gave it to Yixing "You're so lucky."

 

The brunette was about to ask why but Luhan had already gone to help another customer. He looked down at the little box and opened it. Another card:Last one. Now go to the park.

 

Yixing got to the park with all the clues Joonmyun had given him. He looked around and noticed that the area was awfully quiet today. Usually there were tons of people here. He continued to walk through until he saw Joonmyun standing by the duck pond. He ran over and hit the other's arm "Yah! What is wrong with you?! I've been running around all day and you were here the whole time?!"

 

Joonmyun laughed "I'm sorry Xing-ah. I just had to get myself together so that I wouldn't be nervous."

 

"Nervous?" Yixing took a step back "Nervous about what?"

 

Joonmyun smiled as he took Yixing's hand "I love your hair. I love your eyes. I love your smile. I love your kindness. I love your music. I love your style. I love everythig about you. The whole time we've been together, there's never been a moment when I didn't love you. Yixing," Joonmyun knelt down on one knee and pulled out a ring box "Let me love you forever. Will you marry me?"

 

Yixing was speechless. He didn't know what to say. He hadn't expcted anything like this. He knew the note trail was weird, but he didn't know that this was the reason why. Yixing slowly nodded his head and smiled "Yes, yes I'll marry you."

 

Look what you got yourself into. But, we're in it together I suppose. I meant what I said to you that day. I really do love everything about you. I know our relationship isn't perfect, but it's a happy one. I think that's what's important. This isn't going to be easy. You still have time to change your mind if you want. I hope you won't. I love you too much to let you go easily. Well, I'm almost done here. I can't wait to see you. I've been away far too long. I'll be back soon. I promise.

 

Wo Ai Ni,

Joon

 

 

#42

 

Dear Joonie,

This is my last letter to you. I don't know why I'm writing this when you'll be home tomorrow. It's silly but I thought I should finish off our six weeks well. I think Jieun has finally come to terms with us getting married. She's talking to me again and she even wants to be our flower girl. She's so cute. She also said that if her appa's happy then it's okay. I think she's become quite the little young lady. Oh, I forgot to tell you. I saw Jongin's car outside of Kyungsoo's house last night. I have hope for them. Speaking of relationships and all, ours is doing nicely, huh? I guess my fears were unfounded. I apologize for saying what I did before you left. I was just scared that you would find someone you love more than me. Of course, I've always been afraid of that. I've always thought this was too good to be true, that you were too good for someone like me. We're like a fairytale where the pauper gets to marry the prince. Is it just me? Maybe, but I like fairytales. Most end quite happily and I appreciate that. Jieun always says she wants to be a princess. I hope she gets a happy ending like the one I have with you. Oops, I think we have a visitor. It's weird we haven't had one since you left. Oh Jieun's at the door--

 

Lay put his pen down and went to make sure his stepdaughter didn't open the door for a stranger. He caught the little girl just after she turned the knob "Jieun-ah, what did I tell you about...?" Yixing stopped as he finally looked to see who was in the doorway.

"Xing-ah, I'm home."