Meeting Her

Behind these Walls and Masks

Everything started when I entered SM’s training program. Never did I imagine that I could meet someone like Jessica, someone so talented, amazing, and all-around awesome. Seriously, she’s a powerful vocalist, has killer dancing skills, and to top it all off, a sophisticated sense of fashion. I mean, she wears simple clothes but make them look expensive. If I were to wear them, I’d probably be shot dead by the Fashion Police.

 

It was my first week of training. I tagged along Choi Sooyoung since she was the first to befriend me. She was quite nice and really energetic but she had a different circle of friends which I couldn’t seem to get into. She invited me to eat lunch with them but somehow, I always felt left out in their conversations even though Sooyoung made an effort to let me talk. One morning, Sooyoung texted me that she won’t be able to train for that day because she was sick. Lunch time came and I tried looking for the usual group but for some reason, they just disappeared so I ended up roaming around. I didn’t mean to snoop but the building was so big and I just couldn’t resist.

 

As I continued to venture around new places, I heard a voice and tried to trace where it was coming from. I ended up in a hall where all the doors were closed except for one. I quietly walked closer to the room whose door was open. I took a peek and saw this beautiful blonde singing and dancing along to BoA’s Milky Way. I stood outside the room by the door’s frame and was in awe of her. When she finished, I suddenly fell. No, not in love. I literally fell on the floor which caught her attention.

 

“Who’s there?” She asked as she walked towards the door.

 

“No one.” I replied as I stood up and dusted myself off. “Just no one.”

 

When I tried to look for her, I was surprised to see her in front of me and I froze. I couldn’t move a muscle but I could feel my eyes widening because our bodies were simply a few centimeters away from each other. She moved one step back and looked at me front head to toe and back. I followed my instincts and immediately bowed and apologized.

 

“I’m really sorry for disturbing your practice! I got lost and then I heard your voice so I just followed where it was coming from.”

 

“Wait, did you say you were lost?” I nodded. “You must be one of the new ones.” She laughed and then suddenly put up a straight face. She placed her hand on her waist and flipped her hair. “Do you know how much of my time you’ve already wasted? I could’ve had one more run instead of entertaining your presence.” My knees and hands started shaking. Cold sweat rushed over my forehead. No words came out when I tried to explain. She took a step forward and we were a few centimeters away from each other again. She came close to my ear and whispered, “Do you know what we do to maggots like you who roam around the building without permission?” Oh my god. I just got here. I’m dead. I’m really dead. My heart pounded and I know she could hear it. She took a step back again and snapped her finger once. Along with that snap, I felt a heat rush through my body and I could now move but was breathing heavily. She looked at me again from head to toe, looked me in the eyes, and shook her head.

 

I simply sighed and lowered my head. “Ok, I’ll start packing my things now but will you show me the way back?” She stared and laughed at me like she was going to lose her mind. I felt irritated and couldn’t help bursting while I had my head down. “What’s so funny? What’s so funny about getting dismissed from this training program? What’s so funny ab—”

 

“Whoa! Relax. I was just playing with you.” She smiled and offered a handshake. “Jung Sooyeon. Just call me Jessica. Don’t ask why.”

 

I looked at her with my eyes filled with tears that were on the verge of falling. “Are you kidding me?! Joking?! I thought I was gonna die along with my dreams for Christ’s sake!”

 

She giggled and patted my shoulder. “I’m sorry. I’m just not used to anyone being around when I practice. You’re actually the first one to find me in my hiding place.” I wiped the tears on my eyes with the long sleeves of my shirt. “So, what’s your name?” I introduced myself and told her that I only started the other day.

 

“Don’t do that again! You might end up killing someone!” I still felt angry at her for what she did.

 

“I’m really sorry. I didn’t know how intimidating I really am since I’m only like that when I’m around strangers.” I listened. “It’s like some sort of defense mechanism or a wall in simpler terms. I wear different personalities depending on the people I’m with or those around me.”

 

“Really? I’m also like that. Well, you’re the aggressive type. I’m passive.” I smiled because I didn’t know anyone who was like me. “You should go back to practicing. I’m really sorry for disturbing you.” I bowed and took a step back.

 

“Nah, it’s okay. I just had to do one more run. Besides, you’re lost remember? Let’s just have lunch. Have you eaten yet?” I shook my head. “Great! You can have lunch with me then! Let’s go to the cafeteria! My treat since you’re new and because I scared you.” She laughed and I couldn’t help but blush.

 

When we entered the cafeteria, all eyes were on her. I only walked behind her with my head down. I could hear people whispering but I couldn’t seem to understand what they were saying. Jessica took a tray and moved along. I took one as well and followed her but she suddenly stopped.  I didn’t notice and bumped into her.

 

“Hey! What are you doing back there? Stop walking behind me and walk alongside me. That way, I can keep my eyes on you. You might end up lost again. Wouldn’t want that, do you?” I shook my head and smiled. We got some food. I insisted on paying but she glared at me so I gave up. We held our trays on one hand and she surprisingly took hold of my free hand and walked towards a free table.

 

My heart suddenly raised and I could feel my face going red. What’s wrong with me? What’s going on? I shook my head as a placed my tray on the table. “Hey, what’s wrong?” Oh no, she noticed. “Nothing, there was just a fly.” We finally sat and started eating.

 

Everyone was still looking and whispering. I was starting to get curious so I asked her, “Why is everyone looking at you? Are you like some sort of daughter of a celebrity?”

 

She took a sip of her mango shake and replied, “Not really. I think it’s because of the way I dress. I mean I just love fashion. Just because you’re from a middle class family or even lower class doesn’t mean you can’t have anything good, right?” I nodded and took a bite of my tuna sandwich as she continued. “You just have to look at the right places and bargain. Let’s say you only have multiple white shirts at home. It’s up to you to make it pop through accessories, hair style, shoes, skirts or anything. You can even try dying your other shirts if you want another color. What I wear looks expensive because I know how to work them. I just love fashion.” She smiles and suddenly zones out.

 

“I know you love fashion. You already said that twice.” I giggled and then the thought just hit me. “Hey Jessica.” She wasn’t responding and was simply staring at the air. “Jessica.” She was still out. “Jung Sooyeon!” She suddenly looked stunned and was glaring at me.

 

“Don’t call me by my real name!”

“But you weren’—”

“I heard you the first time. You could’ve just shaken me. So, what is it?”

“Can you like… Uhm… You know…” I felt small all of a sudden.

“Yes? Come on. Spit it out.”

“Help me… with…” I was too shy to say it completely so I simply looked at my clothes.

 

She looked at my clothes and then our eyes met. My face turned bright red.

 

She laughed. “Of course I’ll help you! You can be sort of my project! I can even take you to events that I attend!”

“You’d really do that? Are you sure it won’t be trouble for you?”

“Yes I’m sure and it won’t be a problem at all!” She smiled and finished her food. “Are you free this weekend? I don’t have any plans yet so maybe you can go to my place and there we’ll see what we can do.”

“Yes! Sure! This weekend! But, let me at least help you with something else. I’m good in academics; maybe I can help you with that?” I insisted.

“Great! It’s a deal then! I help you with fashion and you help me with school! Promise?”

“Promise!”

 

We exchanged numbers and became great friends from that moment on.

 

And that was how we started. Still got no idea of my identity? No? Good. You do? Well, you can’t be too sure. I made sure I left no clue of who I am. Even if I did, I may just be misleading you. Anyway, you will know, soon. For now, you know how we all started. How it all ends, well, is tricky for me to tell but you will find out eventually. (:

 


That was Chapter 3. Comments are very much appreciated and considered! (:

Thank you as well to everyone who commented on the previous chapters. I do apologize for breaking some hearts. LOL!

Keep smiling! (:

- Just Elton SSI