Her Past

Behind these Walls and Masks

Tiffany Hwang is the friendliest one in our batch but she most certainly is the b*tchiest as well. She makes everyone fall in love with her using her signature eye smiles and big grin. I should know because I for one fell for her. Well, at least I thought I did. She believes that everyone should be her friend but there’s a twist. If she sees you as harmless, you’d experience the complete best friend package with a slice of Heaven. She will make you belong and stand out from the rest along with her. On the contrary, if she sees you as a threat, sure you’ll be friends with her but she will do whatever it takes to make use of your starlight to make hers brighter than ever and yours would simply be part of her marquee. I know it sounds so evil and all but I think it’s part of the culture of being an American girl and all.

Which side was I on? Neither. We’re friendly, just not friends. We shared small talks but that was pretty much it; no more, no less. I did my best to stay out of her way because I didn’t want to get involved with any of her drama. I already have enough drama in my life and I don’t need someone who’ll just mess up things more than it already is. I like her as a person just not her devious side.

Jessica was a different story. They knew each other long before I knew any of them. Before they became friends, Jessica didn’t care about who or what Tiffany was. In fact, she didn’t even give a damn about the eye-smiler. Tiffany felt strong towards the other American girl. She even felt challenged since Jessica was the first person to give her the cold shoulder, the silent treatment, and the you-don’t-exist-in-my-world vibe. That was when Tiffany decided to pursue Jessica.

Being the all-American girl that she is, Tiffany used that fact and her ignorance of the Korean culture to her advantage and as an excuse to get close to Jessica. After several days of annoying her to death, Jessica finally gave in and granted Tiffany the chance to be friends with her. Jessica is also an American girl like Tiffany. The only difference is that Tiffany was raised in the US the American way while Jessica was raised in the US in both the Korean and American ways. Jessica had the best of both worlds and felt bad for Tiffany when she thought of abandoning her only American friend in Korea.

Now that they were already friends, Tiffany started devising a plan to subdue Jessica. She learned that Jessica was an exceptional vocalist and was an amazing dancer. She was basically the complete package given that she had the body and face to make it big someday. She posed a great threat to Tiffany who acted like she was the Queen Bee of the trainees. They became closer as time passed and soon they became the best of friends. Tiffany saw this as an opportunity to knock out Jessica’s light since she knows that betrayal is one of the harshest things a person could do to a friend.

Days, weeks, and months passed, Tiffany just one day woke up to find herself crying and realizing how bad a friend she was to Jessica after everything they’ve been through. She tried remembering the countless times she tried to hurt Jessica. She brought out photos of the two of them together and stared at how Jessica genuine smiled. That was when it occurred to her why, no matter how much harm she tried to put Jessica in harm’s way, she either brushed off the idea or made everything back fire on purpose. She no longer saw Jessica as competition but more than a friend and more than an equal. Despite numerous denials, she knew at the back of her mind that she had already fallen for her.

The next morning, as soon as she saw Jessica coming, Tiffany ran to her and hugged her tight. Jessica hugged her back and Tiffany just started crying like a baby. She dropped down to her knees and covered her face with her hands. She kept apologizing in between her sobs. Jessica knelt down, hugged her and comforted her. “It’s okay. Whatever it is, I forgive you.” Hearing those words widened Tiffany’s eyes. She pushed Jessica back and argued, “No! Don’t say that! You don’t know what you’re saying!” Jessica simply smiled and patted Tiffany’s head but Tiffany blocked the gesture. “Stop it! I’m a terrible person! If you only knew what I’ve been doing, you’d probably hate me to my core right now.” Jessica moved a few inches back and gave her a big grin. “What’s wrong with you? I just told you how terrible of a person I am and you’re just flashing me your teeth?”

Jessica sat on the ground and looked up at the sky. “I’ve heard a great deal of things about you Hwang Miyoung! Even before we met, people were already talking about you.” Stunned by what she heard, Tiffany covered with her hands. Jessica closed her eyes, leaned back a bit while her arms supported her from the back, and felt the wind brush through her hair. “I wanted to know how much of it was true and since you were so persistent in being my friend, I gave it a shot.” Tiffany, frozen to her current position, stared blankly at Jessica as everything she did flashed before her eyes. “I know everything. The moment you approached me, I knew something was up.” Jessica was looking at her now and Tiffany just felt like the girl in front of her was sending daggers to her soul as their eyes met.

“If you already knew everything, why do you still insist on forgiving me? Why would you let me walk away from all the hate you should be lashing out on me right now?” Tiffany looked down on her trembling hands.

“It’s really simple actually. I’m not angry at you or anything because I know you did everything you can to prevent those things from happening and you even protected me by being in my place instead to fall in your own trap.” Jessica smiled and placed her hands on Tiffany’s as tears started to stream down Tiffany’s cheeks again. “But there is one thing I have to make you pay for.” Jessica’s lips formed into a smirk. Tiffany wiped her tears and had a puzzled look. “Remember the shaving cream in my locker incident?” Tiffany suddenly looked confused. “Yes but wasn’t I the one who got dumped on by the shaving cream since I pushed you out of the way?” Jessica giggled. “And I looked so worried even though I was dying of laughter deep inside.” The short-haired brunette frowned. “But that wasn’t my point. You took out my things from the locker before filling it with shaving cream, right?” Tiffany nodded. “You took them without my permission.”

“But, I—,” Jessica cut her off by placing her right index finger in front of Tiffany’s lips.

“As punishment,” Tiffany gulped. Jessica now had a straight face, “Would you take me out on a date, my knight in shining armor?” Jessica giggled while Tiffany suddenly froze. She waited for a response but Tiffany kept silent. “You don’t seem interested.” Jessica sighed.

“No! No! It would be my pleasure to go out with you!” Tiffany’s face turned red and Jessica just laughed at her.

That was how these two started. How their relationship went is for another part and how it ended was tragic. Where was I when all that happened? School maybe. I didn’t know them then! When I started training under SM, they were already dating but only trainees knew. How did I know all of this? Gossip. Duh. Look into it.

 


And that was my first chapter! Tell me what you think! Comments and suggestions are welcome and are much appreciated. (:

- Just Elton SSI