The Calling

Auspices

The Calling

 
 
 

Kris remembers jumping, but he doesn’t remember falling.

The next morning, he had woken up, packed all of his things together in a duffle bag, sitting Ace perfectly on top – he decided that when the police came to investigate his apartment for clues, he’d at least go out with them knowing he was a tidy person – and left the apartment without a word. He visited different places of his past. He needed at least some sort of closure. The hours flew by and he felt his heart swelling as he left each destination; it was like taking a step closer to the edge before the fall.

He had wrapped his coat closer around his body and walked out and to the top of the building after checking over his apartment, locking the door and hiding his key under the mat.

It was getting later, so the air was chilly and bitter. His breath came out in steam and his fingers curled further into the pockets of his pristine white coat. He stood against the edge and flicked his hair out of eyes to get a good look at the last sight he would see.

It was beautiful, really. Kris had never seen the city from so high up and it was magnificent to see the bustling hell he knew so peaceful and far away. The buildings so high and the air so clean…

He almost wished he wasn’t kissing it goodbye, but there was more on his mind than the refuge of a high building and fresh air could make up for.

So he stepped forward, closed his eyes and waited.

Kris remembers jumping, stepping off the side, but he doesn’t remember falling, hitting the ground.

~*~

“Oh dear god, there are more of you.” Junmyeon panics, muttering to Kyungsoo who is kneeling on the other side of the man lying on the dirty ground.

“He-He just fell from the sky.” Kyungsoo stutters, eyes wider than usual. Junmyeon rolls the man onto his side and pats the side of his cheeks despite knowing that it probably wouldn’t make a difference.

“It doesn’t make any sense…” Junmyeon mumbles thoughtfully, sitting back. “He’s still breathing too. He’s completely alive. How could someone survive falling from the sky?”

“Maybe he’s some sort of fallen angel or something. I mean, he’s wearing white.” Kyungsoo suggests, but Junmyeon simply narrows his eyes at the boy, dismissing his theory.

“I don’t know, but we’ll ask him when he wakes up. Could you fetch me that blanket from my chair?” Kyungsoo silently stands up and hands over the blanket, watching as Junmyeon quickly wraps it around the man’s figure.

“His feet stick out the bottom.” Kyungsoo giggles.

“We can’t all be blessed with the tall gene, ey?”

“Amen to that.”

“In the meantime, what are we going to do?” Kyungsoo asks quietly, shuffling on his feet.

“We’re just going to sit by and wait. We can’t leave him here without supervision; anything could happen; and heck, one fell from the sky, we still don’t know how you got here, what’s to say another stranger won’t turn up?” Junmyeon replies confidently, not taking his eyes off the man who fell from the sky. “Fallen here isn’t going anywhere.”

He reaches into the man’s coat pocket to search for clues as to how he may have ended up here, finding a wallet. He pulls it out and opens it up.

“Hey, you can’t steal from a guy who fell from the sky.”

“I don’t recall a law about it, but calm down; I’m not taking his money. I’m looking for ID.”

Kyungsoo blushes, “oh.”

Junmyeon pulls out a driving license, unfolding the paper and scanning his eyes over the details.

Wu Yi Fan; 6th November 1990; Guangzhou, Guangdong, China.’

“He’s Chinese.” Junmyeon tells Kyungsoo, who sighs. “I wonder what he’s doing in South Korea.”

“He looks like a businessman.” Kyungsoo points out. Junmyeon frowns.

“I don’t know; he seems a bit wrongly dressed for business.” Junmyeon stands up, giving up on the man and identifying him further and smiles fondly at the man awake standing opposite him. “Can you remember anything yet?”

“I haven’t thought about it, to be honest.” Kyungsoo admits.

“It’ll come back to you soon.”

~*~

Kris wakes up to daylight and that’s what irritates him the most.

It isn’t the smiling man in front of his vision, it’s the fact that his eyes still open, his heart still beats and his hell still continues to exist.

“I don’t know who you are, what you are or what you’re doing, but why are you smiling at me?” Kris grumbles out, reaching up to his head to rub away a headache.

“You finally woke up.” The man replies calmly, his smile growing. “I’m Junmyeon, it’s nice to meet you, Wu Fan.”

Kris tenses. “Call me Kris.” He almost demands. Junmyeon blinks in surprise.

“Okay… Kris. Well, here’s the story. Kyungsoo and I were watching the eclipse and you fell from the sky. Any ideas?”

“What?” Kris blurts involuntarily, though once the word has left his lips, it’s the only one circling his mind anyway.

“Kyungsoo and I were-”

“No, I got that bit. I fell from the sky? And survived?” Junmyeon nods, causing Kris to groan. “Only me.”

“The thing is, though, there’s nothing here you possibly could have fallen off.” Junmyeon points out, and that’s when Kris realises he’s not in the city anymore.

Surrounding him is a vast desert like scene. The ground is a sandy brown and the sky a pale blue. He finds it strangely peaceful, but it still doesn’t shake the idea that he’s moved locations since stepping out from the rooftops.

“But I was in the city…” Kris mumbles. “I was in the city. I put all my stuff in a bag and I left Ace on top and then I went to the roof and I stepped off. How did I end up here?” Kris isn’t talking to anyone in particular, but both boys hear every word.

“You jumped?” Kyungsoo says gently, stepping closer.

Kris gulps, “yeah.”

“Well you should thank whoever’s up there in Heaven that you’re still breathing.” He blurts, blinking at the older man. “How could you be so stupid as to want to give up your own life?”

Kris can feel the anger boiling inside him, standing to his feet. Kyungsoo regrets his words when the – at least; Kyungsoo isn’t sure exactly – six foot man hovers over him, staring down with a glare powerful enough to rip holes straight through Kyungsoo’s body.

“What do you know?”

“Hey, play nice.” Junmyeon begs. “Kyungsoo lost his memory. He doesn’t remember his friends, family, anything. He doesn’t remember a thing besides his name and date of birth.”

Kris feels a tinge of guilt, but quickly shakes it off, sending the man one last warning stare.

“What made you do it?” Kyungsoo asks, breaching the man’s privacy and security, but Kris finds himself trusting the two of them. They didn’t leave him out here to the birds when he supposedly fell from the sky, so what’s to say they won’t do the same now? And it’s not like he’ll ever see them again when he goes home, is it?

“I had no one.” Kris starts. “Parents disowned me, friends don’t want anything to do with me, boss fired me, no one to rely on.” He shrugs, turning away from the pair. He doesn’t want to see their reactions; the pity, the anger, whatever they might be feeling; he’s not ready to face it.

“You’re from China, right? It said so on your driver’s license.” Junmyeon comments. Kris raises an eyebrow.

“All the money better be in my wallet when I check.” Junmyeon lets out a soft laugh and shakes his head in disbelief.

“Every last penny. I swear.”

“Yeah, I’m Chinese.” Kris replies, happy with the man’s answer, though he would check later on. There wasn’t much he could take anyway. “I’ve lived in China, Canada and now Korea.”

“You’ve travelled around.” Kyungsoo states, as Kris yet again, shrugs.

“My parents are business orientated.” Kyungsoo grins triumphantly. “I’m not, though. I haven’t really found my calling.” His grin falls.

“What did you do before?”

“I was a waiter.” Kris mutters. “The customers couldn’t make their minds up so I got fired.”

Kyungsoo laughs and leans against the table, watching the man brush down his coat. “Ergh, my coat is filthy.” He complains quietly, and Kyungsoo thinks that maybe this man was lost. He notices that he looks in a world of his own often; as if debating with himself his own thoughts and motives. He noticed that the man looked as if he was constantly battling with what was wisest to do.

He blinked at Kris, who quickly snapped out of his thoughts.

“How do I get home?”

“I don’t know if I want you to go home. At least not alone.” Junmyeon speaks up from ten feet away, in the same spot he liked to stand to observe the scenery. “Kyungsoo and I will be heading back to my car in a few hours; when we do, we’ll drive you back into town and you can stay with us.”

“Are you trying to baby me?” Kris grumbles, but Junmyeon simply smiles.

“I’m just making sure you’re okay.” He insists. “I don’t need you falling from the sky again.”

~*~

“So there have been unexplained earthquakes out here?” Kris asks later on that evening, sitting on the dirty ground next to Junmyeon, who is staring out into the distance. Junmyeon nods.

“Tons of ‘em for the past couple weeks. So I drove out here and started to investigate. I hadn’t felt anything for a week and a half, just light tremors. The day before I met Kyungsoo, there was a stronger one, but nothing at all has happened since. Not even a gentle one.” Junmyeon explains, looking down at the floor. “It’s a long shot, really, but I don’t have a boss to argue with about it seen as I am the boss.” He laughs, running his fingers through his hair. “Speaking of which, if you want a job, you can always work for me?”

“I don’t know anything about geology.” Kris insists.

“Ahh, you don’t need to be a geology genius to make me coffee.” Junmyeon smirks playfully, patting him on the shoulder.

“You want me to make you coffee?”

“If it keeps you busy and gets you a steady income, then yeah. I guess you could put it that way.” Junmyeon smiles again, his eyes crinkling into a warm eye smile and Kris can’t help but smile shyly back.

“Thanks.”

“So that’s a yes?” Kris nods. “Well, then. I expect you to report for duty the next day after we return home.” Junmyeon winks, turning his attention back to the scenery in front of him. “I’ve been out here for a while now, and ever since I came out here, there hasn’t been another serious earthquake. Why is it that everything I research for my own purposes crashes and burns?” Junmyeon complains quietly, mussing up his hair once more with his fingers.

“Maybe it’s something shaking the earth.” Kris suggests, sighing when Junmyeon looks at him unbelievingly. “I fell from the sky in front of your very eyes, yet you don’t think that something shaking the earth is possible?”

“Good point, but what? What could possibly be strong enough to shake the ground like that?”

“Who knows, but I’m sure we’ll find out soon enough.”  

~*~

It was nearing midnight, when Junmyeon vowed he’d take Kris home and he’d give the research a break for a while, when the ground began to tremble ever so slightly.

“Junmyeon!” Kris is the first to notice and act, jogging over and clinging to the younger man’s arm.

“This isn’t a light one.” Junmyeon’s face clouds over with horror as he trembles on the ground. “We’re in grave danger just standing here. Where’s Kyungsoo?”

The two turned their heads to the youngest standing ten feet away. He was crouched in his spot, gripping his hair, his knuckles a clean white. He groaned in pain and the earthquake intensified, so much that Junmyeon fell into Kris and in a blind moment of panic and instinct, the older picked him up and jumped into the air.

Neither of them were really sure what was happening, but Kris and Junmyeon were floating in mid-air, Kris had wings and Kyungsoo was curled in a ball as the Earthquake continued.

Kris has ing wings, Junmyeon thinks. Wings.

Kris can’t hold what he’s doing for long – whatever it is he is doing; he’s not quite sure – and the two find themselves letting out yelps of surprise as they tumble back down towards the ground, Kyungsoo snapping out of whatever was controlling him and peering over.

“Oh my god, are you guys okay?” He panics, rolling Junmyeon onto his back and kneeling beside them. He was too afraid to lay a hand on Kris; those piercing eyes had him on edge.

“The Earthquake has stopped.” Junmyeon mumbles, rubbing the back of his head as he sits up.

“I’m so sorry, Junmyeon. If I’d have remembered, I would’ve told you. It’s all my fault.” The younger sobs, before Junmyeon pulls him into a tight hug and he snuggles his face into the older’s shoulder.

“It’s not your fault, Kyungsoo.” He reassures, his hair. “It’s not your fault. You didn’t remember; I know you would’ve told me if you knew.”

“I just get these horrible headaches and next thing I know, the ground is shaking. I remember it now.” His voice cracks.

“Do you remember anything else?” Junmyeon asks softly, but Kyungsoo shakes his head. “That’s fine. Don’t worry about it, okay?” Kyungsoo nods. “As for you, Kris; wings?!”

“I don’t know either.” Kris sighs, not bothering to sit up. He rubbed his eyes. “It was instinct. My body just moved without me thinking. I guess that explains how I got here, huh?”

“What the heck are you guys?” Junmyeon mumbles, eyes darting from Kyungsoo to Kris and back as their own eyes widen.

“I don’t think it’s just us, Junmyeon.” Kris mutters. Junmyeon spins around; Kyungsoo still wrapped in his arms and notices the waves of water that crashes down as soon as he gasps. He tries concentrating again and then losing focus and the same thing happens.

“What the heck are we?”

“Who knows, but I want answers.”

~*~

“We should head home.” Kris suggests, motioning to the car in the distance. Junmyeon sighs and shakes his head.

“What if we’re dangerous? What if we put the entire city in danger?”

“Well, I don’t think wings are going to hurt anyone and as long as we keep you away from rivers and lakes and regularly feed Kyungsoo ibuprofen, we should be okay.” Kris replies, slight sass in his tone. Junmyeon glares at him.

“This isn’t a joke, Kris. What if we hurt someone?”

“Stop panicking. We’ll be fine.”

Kyungsoo steps forward, blinking his eyes innocently and raising his hand. “I agree with Kris.”

Kris smirks triumphantly. “For one,” Kyungsoo continues, “What are the odds that something weird happens? Minimal.” He pauses, “And two, if something does happen, ambulances are only a call away.”

“Kyungsoo has a point.” Junmyeon sighs and eventually gives in, swayed by the happy grins on the two boys faces.

“Fine. We’ll stop at Kris’ first and then we’ll head over to mine. Kyungsoo can have my bed and Kris can have the guest room.” He states, spinning his keys on his finger. “Kris, could you fold up my table and carry it to the car for me?” Kris does as he’s told and Kyungsoo trails behind the two empty handed.

“Where will you sleep?”

“On the sofa.” Junmyeon shrugs. “I don’t mind. I’ve been sleeping in my car for the past God knows how long. It makes no difference to me. Don’t worry about it, Kyungsoo.” He smiles warmly at the younger and the boy in question can’t help but feel lucky to have met Junmyeon in his time of need. There was no one better he could have bumped into with no memory. Heck, if it had been Junmyeon falling out of the sky and Kris finding him instead, he probably would’ve pulled all of his hair out. Kris was great, but he wasn’t as… warm, as Junmyeon.

“Will Kris fit in your car?” Kyungsoo pushes.

“I know I’m tall but I’m not a ing giant.” Kris grumbles in reply, getting a whimper from the smaller boy.

“Small car for a small person, Kris. I’m not six foot, so I don’t need a big car. He’s just concerned.” Junmyeon intervenes, standing between the two of them and peering over each shoulder. “Okay?”

“What car you got?” Kris asks curiously.

Junmyeon blushes, “a Ford KA.”

~*~

“Junmyeon, it’s ing sick green.”

“I bought it second hand, okay?”

Kris snorts, but places the folded table into the boot (with difficulty) and pushes Kyungsoo into the back of the car, taking the front seat for his long legs.

“Wait, you said the two of you slept in here while you stayed out here? How did you manage to fit?”

“Kyungsoo slept in the back; I slept in the driver’s seat.” Junmyeon replied, starting the engine. “It was a tad cramped but I prefer to call it cosy.”

“Is your house ‘cosy’ as well?” Kris laughs.

“My house is bigger than my car.” Junmyeon answers with a smirk, “My house is much bigger than my car.”

~*~

“You weren’t kidding…” Kris mumbles, pulling up in front of Junmyeon’s… mansion? Was that the appropriate word for it? It put Kris’ apartment to shame.

“It’s smaller on the inside. It’s like a backwards tardis.”

“And to think that you’ve been sleeping in your car…” Kyungsoo breathes, his eyes widening at the sight of the building.

Junmyeon lived in luxury. He had a large, open house just for himself. He moved out from his parents’ home a while ago to focus on his career, buying himself a nice, modern house on the out skirts of town. It looked a little out of place in the countryside, but it fit Junmyeon perfectly. Plus, no lakes or rivers in sight.

Junmyeon liked it and that’s all that mattered.

“Do you want me to show you to your room?” Junmyeon asks Kris, who responsibly follows him down the corridor, leaving Kyungsoo in the living room.

Kyungsoo took in the scenery around him. It all feels very familiar. It’s as if he recognises the place, but he knows for a fact he’s never met Junmyeon before. If he had met Junmyeon before now, then the older would at least remember him. He paused and stared particularly at the corded phone on the side table next to the sofa.

He sees something.

“Kyungsoo, could you get that?” His mother calls out in the house. The boy on the sofa groans, pauses his current cooking show – he was starting to take a liking to that British chef who swears a lot and lucky for him, his parents didn’t speak English curse words and they didn’t come up on subtitles – and picks up the phone. He doesn’t hear anything for a minute.

“Hello?”

He hears breathing and it begins to shake him. “Is anyone there?”

“The eclipse.”

“I’m sorry, I don’t want to buy anything you’re selling me.” Kyungsoo panics.

“The eclipse.” The voice repeats. It’s a male voice, he notices. Deep, too. “It’s coming.”

Then the man hangs up. Kyungsoo places the phone shakily back down on the stand and sits back down on the sofa in the silence.

That night, he barely sleeps. What eclipse?

“Kyungsoo!” Junmyeon’s frantic call cuts him out of his dream like state and he falls backwards, almost hitting his head on the glass coffee table conveniently placed behind him. Junmyeon grabs one arm and Kris to other as they hoist him to his feet. “Are you okay?”

“I remember.”

“You remember what?”

“A voice. The phone.” He points at the telephone table before rushing over and picking it up. “Listen.”

The eclipse.” The voice is back. Kris gulps. “It came.” The message has changed. “It’s time.

“Time for what?” Junmyeon asks the caller. Kyungsoo recognises the deep breathing in the silence.

The Auspices.

 
 
 
 


 
 

author's notes: thanks for reading! lj version.