The Peacekeeper

Auspices

The Peacekeeper

 
 
 

“Don’t you think all of this is happening a little too fast?” Junmyeon is panicking. Junmyeon is very much panicking. “I mean, we’ve barely even had these powers and all of a sudden light is chasing us! I can’t even go outside without thinking I’m being watched by Big Brother!”

“Junmyeon, calm down.”

“And what about you, Kyungsoo, you were kidnapped! Oh my god, I can’t think how I’d cope if something else happened to any of you. I feel like a mother to you, I want to baby you all, what if something happens to my babies?”

“Junmyeon, seriously-”

“Kyungsoo! This is serious!”

Kyungsoo sighs. He’s been cradling Junmyeon in his arms for roughly three quarters of an hour – and when is Kris getting home, damn it, Kris – and he’s tired, he’s got a headache and he can’t deal with an emotional Junmyeon. Especially not with the tiredness and the headache.

“Junmyeon, it’s okay,” he hesitantly pats the older’s hair, wincing as he sniffles, “none of us are going anywhere. We’ll be fine.” Junmyeon rubs his eyes with balled up hands before wrapping his arms around Kyungsoo’s torso.

“You promise?”

“I promise.”

~*~

Junmyeon, however, turns out to be right. Sort of. Slightly.

As if things couldn’t move any faster, the boys find themselves grabbing hold of their powers rather quickly. Jongdae, despite efforts to continue, has stopped surprising Baekhyun with sharp electric shocks, and Chanyeol hasn’t burnt the edges of his history books for the few weeks they’ve been meeting since their first sighting of the red light.

They imagine it’s been a month, if that, since they discovered their powers, and it’s around about that mark that things start to take a turn.

Junmyeon’s paranoia triples, as eyes follow them everywhere, their apartment lights tint red, like blood, as they flood the room. Shadows linger in Minseok and Jongin’s club, watching as Jongin dances, as Minseok pours drinks, and then disappearing as their eyes rake over the crowd, but there’s one familiar face that every boy describes. A round face, full lips, wide nose, a small figure, and they begin to recognise the signs when the particular human is following them. The heavy footsteps, the soft murmurs as they trip, the widened eyes when they’re spotted, and one day, tired, annoyed, fed up, Kyungsoo runs after the fleeting figure and grabs at the back of his long, robe coat.

“Why the do you keep following us?”

It’s dark out, street lights not doing much justice to the man’s – they can now tell from up close – eerie aura.

“D.O… You truly are as strong as they say.” He mumbles to himself, and Kyungsoo’s glare only hardens. “And… Kai, you’re nowhere near as scary as they say.”

Jongin frowns; what the is going on? “You’ll find out soon enough, Kai.”

“What? Did I just speak out loud?” Kyungsoo looks confused, as he lets the man’s collar loose a little. He smiles in thanks, bowing his head in respect.

“Thank you. Your grip was starting to become a little tight for my throat’s liking.”

“S-Sorry.”

“It’s okay. You are the great D.O after all. And Kai, oh Kai, you’ve grown so much since we last met, but then I suppose we all have.”

“Who are you?”

“Where are the others?” Kyungsoo doesn’t like the tone of his voice. The carefree, innocent tone of his stupid voice. “Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t introduce myself, did I? I’m Onew, head peacekeeper of the planet EXO.”

~*~

“You’re what?

“You’re a ing alien?

“But, Baek, technically, so are we…”

“Shut the up, Chanyeol.”

“Okay, okay,” Junmyeon sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose. He breathes in deeply and turns to face the similar aged alien beside him, and smiles as politely, and as genuinely as he can. Onew returns it. “Please explain everything. From start to finish. Who we are, why we have these powers, who you are, how you know us, what the is going on.”

“I’m Onew.” He starts with, hand over his heart and he rearranges his legs to sit comfortably cross-legged in their established circle formation. “I am head peacekeeper at your home planet, EXO. I do basically what my title describes. I ensure that peace between other planets, and peace between citizens is kept, but recently,” he looks out of the window, thoughtfully, and Baekhyun’s breathing hitches, “recently, EXO has been in a lot of trouble.”

“Why?”

“Our planet is amongst many others in its solar system. Most keep to themselves; the SONE planet we’ve never had a problem with, but some get power-hungry. There’s a large planet, the biggest in the solar system, led by two great and powerful leaders and protectors, and they are planning to take over as many planets as they can, and next on their list is ours. The Rising Gods of the East are heading straight for our tiny, newly rebuilt planet and civilisation and we can’t let our twenty years of hard work go to waste.”

“Is that what the red light is? From the Rising Gods of the East?” Onew nods as Tao scrunches up his nose in distaste.

“Twenty years?” Sehun furrows his brows and stares at the older boy, giving as little away with his purposely emotionless features, “What happened twenty years ago?”

“Just after you were born, Sehun, just after most of you were born, EXO planet was struck by a terrible fate, much nicer than the one it faces now, but still, all the same, very catastrophic. Another smaller planet, VIXX, were jealous of the success of EXO planet, and took to ruin everything we’d worked hard for, not too far as to destroy us, but to leave us with the ruins of our efforts.”

“That’s sick, why would anyone want to do that?” Jongdae bursts, voice pitched in places with anger. Junmyeon from beside him rubs a hand over his back comfortingly.

“We couldn’t chance them finding out about the birth of the Auspices, so we came together to send you all away to Earth, to protect you, and wait patiently for the day of the crossing of the two moons, before anyone told you of your true identities. Coincidently, it’s now, just after your awakening as the Auspices, that we need you to come home, and save our planet.” He pauses to in a breath, “Now we need you to come together as one, as EXO’s Auspices, to save the world as we know it. To protect your people as you were destined to.”

“Is there…” Yixing hesitates, “is there anything else we’re destined for that we should know about?”

“There are a few things,” Onew replies calmly, shrugging his shoulders uncommitted, and Junmyeon frowns, “they’re of less significance. Eight of you are destined towards another Auspice.”

Jongdae scrambles for words, “Woah, woah, hold up – what?

“Eight of you are destined to fall in love. We all heard stories of the legends, grew up with them, of all of your futures, of your destinies. But you haven’t lived them yet, it would be unfair of me to tell you.”

Ceremoniously, they groan, “but I will answer what I can.”

“What legends?”

“Oh, the legends,” he smiles, a sense of pride, of admiration in his voice that none of the boys can ignore, “I feel like I know you despite only knowing you all when we were barely toddlers. Suho… You… The children’s tales of a golden knight in shining armour. Our Guardian of the Guardian’s Suho. Every child dreams of being like you on EXO planet. You’re known as kind, warm, loving, and passionate. Especially about the safety of your fellow Auspices.” Kyungsoo knows this all too well, he thinks as he snorts slightly. Onew continues around the circle.

Jongdae, beside the water elemental, blinks quickly, unsure of what is to come of him. “Chen-”

“Wait, what did you call me?”

“Chen. Your name is Chen.”

Jongdae tuts, “my name is Jongdae, not Chen.” Onew doesn’t look phased by the younger’s attitude and simply rolls his eyes, his head shaking slightly.

“In the legends, you are Chen. You are the electrifying Chen, the feisty, playful Auspice, who brings happiness and fire to those who lack adventure.” Chen is still pouting like a kicked puppy, “Don’t worry, you’re not the only one with a legend’s name.” He brightens.

On his right, fidgets an uncomfortable Baekhyun. If he’s honest, he’s unsettled just by the strange man, alien, thing, whatever he is, being within ten foot of himself, especially after he’d followed them around for the past month, but the feel of Chanyeol’s arm behind him, propping the taller boy up, yet still serving as a fall back for the smaller, reassures him that he’s not alone. He’s not trapped with the strange man; he has protection; his own bodyguard.

“Baekhyun.”

“Y-Yes?”

“Don’t be so wary. On EXO planet, you are a beacon. You are the literal light at the end of the tunnel. In darkest times, you serve as a wonderful figure of hope for those struggling. You bring out the best in our citizens, who never believed they had it in them. Be proud of yourself.”

“T-Thank you.” Chanyeol smiles fondly, patting the older on the head, and for once, he’s surprised not to hear a swear word tumble past the boy’s lips or a hand smack at his. Instead, Baekhyun leans back, head against his shoulder, as Onew calls out to Chanyeol next. The information bringer smiles, knowingly, warmly.

“You, Chanyeol, represent knowledge. You represent passion for knowledge, and the desire to discover and learn.” Jongin nods along, the image is perfect for the firey boy sitting opposite him, warm eyes always sparkling when set on his precious book. “I’m glad you think so, Kai.”

“Seriously, how are you doing that? I’m not talking out loud, how do you-”

“You don’t think just you twelve have powers, right? Very few on EXO planet do have powers, but mine, one that ultimately got me my position, is telepathy. Mind-reading, you know.” Jongin hums in agreement, and the topic is dropped quickly in favour of learning about themselves and their pre-written destinies. Onew sighs before turning to the next boy. “Minseok, our eldest Auspice. You are sought most in the Winter. You are believed to be happiest when snow falls on our main city. You’re especially popular with children, as you can understand why if it’s your doing when it snows.” Minseok blushes just slightly.

“Is it the same for the other weather related powers?”

“All but Junmyeon’s, though it’s said that the rain is the sign of a storm. A thunderstorm is said to be the doing of Chen and Suho together. Lay,” he looks at a confused Yixing, “you bring peace to EXO. You make my job a hell of a lot easier.” He laughs gleefully, and Yixing blinks, amused, “It’s said that those who are polite and warm, friendly and kind, are said to be blessed by you. Kris, you have a very similar effect to Suho. You are the discipline bringer. The one known for being both loving, yet responsible. You’re a source of determination for many. Lots of children have been inspired by your dedication and your logical thinking.” The tallest in question suddenly feels very guilty, remembering the night he discovered his powers. What would have happened if he’d pulled it forward a day? Would he have hit the pavement? Would EXO fall?

“Are Luhan and I destined?”

Sehun’s voice is small, vulnerable, but curious, and from beside him, Luhan squeezes his hand. Onew says nothing immediately, and Luhan bites his bottom lip.

“Sehun, that doesn’t matter. I love you more than anything, you know that. Even if it’s not written in the history books, we’ll rewrite it, I promise and-”

Onew chuckles, his soft brown hair bouncing against his forehead. “what?”

“You are destined.” He answers simply, “Even at birth, even before Sehun fell asleep for the first time, you were close. It’s said that a young Luhan would cry whenever he was separated from newborn Sehun.” Luhan’s ears tint pink, “Sehun and Luhan have been a package deal in the legends since anyone can remember.”

“That’s cute.” Baekhyun adds, hiding his face in Chanyeol’s arm when eleven sets of eyes fall on him. “What? I was just saying…”

“Sehun’s wind power is known to blow away the worries of those troubled. A strong wind is legend to be a mixture of your powers, to lift the weight off EXO’s burdened shoulders.” He eyes fall on the third from last of the group. “Tao, your time control… it’s a largely desired power of those on EXO planet. You symbolise the ability of our people to savour the moment; to watch the clock, but also enjoy life while time allows us to.”

He smiles, “and last but not least, the two I first met as adults. Kai and D.O. Kai, legends depict you as a beautiful man, graceful and gentle, inspiring our people to chase their dreams, to lead their lives with a polite, humble attitude… and D.O, you hold you strongest power. I am deeply sorry about your memories. Your power links strongly to your mental state, and in the stress, your memories were lost.”

“It’s okay.” Kyungsoo’s plump lips don’t smile, despite how hard he tries. “Will I ever remember anything?”

“It’s unlikely, but D.O, you mustn’t be disheartened. On EXO, you are so well loved. You are a role model, especially to the aspiring strong young boys, to always stand your ground. To always fight for what you believe in.”

The boys sit in silence, mulling over the stories they’d heard. It’s a lot to take in. It’s a lot to stomach in one sitting; not only that, but to think… they’re all destined for things when a month ago, all most of them had to worry about was job stability, now they have a destiny, a planet to save.

Junmyeon is the first to sigh, followed by many others.

“What about my book?” Chanyeol asks, an arm still around Baekhyun’s back as his other reaches into his bag and pulls out the thick, slightly burnt book. “Where did this come from? How did it get to me? My mother had it…”

“And our map,” Luhan blurts urgently, rummaging for it until Sehun calmly reaches in and s the back pocket of Luhan’s backpack and hands it to him. “Why?”

“Your book; your mother was like you, curious and thirsty for knowledge. As each of you were born, she recorded it in this book, and sent it down with you when you came to Earth, in the hope that one day, you would be as curious about the Auspices as she was.”

“Was?”

“Like I said, the disaster twenty years ago was a large one, even if it didn’t wipe us completely.”

It’s silent for a moment. “As for your map, look at it when we return home. It’ll become clearer then.”

“Home? We’re going to EXO planet?”

“You don’t plan to save it from all the way out here, do you?”

~*~

It’s unlike anything they had ever seen. The clothes are unlike anything they’d ever seen.

“Explain to me again why we all have to dress like we’re going to Hogwarts?” Jongdae comments, sharp and he regrets it when Junmyeon’s hand meets the back of his head. He rubs the tender spot and pouts at the older, who looks away as to not give in. Jongdae smirks triumphantly.

Over the last week or so, since meeting Onew and hearing of his weatherly connection to the older boy, he had made the best effort to become closer with him. He would sit by him when he could, compliment him when he looked stressed, when he looked like he least needed it and even memorised how he has his coffee – something he had never done even for Baekhyun.

Junmyeon, of course, thought no oddly of it, accepting the boy with open arms, despite his irritating tendencies.

“Don’t be a . Be respectful. Aren’t you curious? This is where we come from, Jongdae. This is where we were born. I’m still surprised Jongin managed to get us all here.”

“Well, he didn’t do it all on his own, did he? He had Onew to help him.” Jongdae shrugs, “It’s pretty, though. This place.”

“It is.” Junmyeon whispers, and Jongdae, in a moment of blind confidence and poor thinking, takes his hand, linking his fingers through. Surprisingly to the both of them, Junmyeon melts into his touch, relaxing at the little electric shocks tickling his skin.

“Junmyeon?”

“Yeah, Jongdae?”

“Are you curious about what Onew said… about us?”

Junmyeon pauses, “probably more curious than I should be. Do you think we’re destined?” Jongdae hesitantly nods, and Junmyeon sends him a warm smile, for reassurance. “I think so too.”

“You do?”

“But I want to do this properly. You’re cute and so kind, and seen as we’re apparently going to end up as a package deal in the end anyway, I’d like to do it right. You know, like, dates and stuff… Slowly and truly fall in love.” He blushes crimson, hands clammy before he quickly adds, “only if you want to, of course!”

Jongdae’s never felt this shy before, his stomach twisting and his heart beating uncharacteristically faster than usual. He wonders how he possibly developed these feelings so quickly, but then he decides that being told someone is destined to be your partner really speeds things up anyway.

“I’d l-love to. I’d be honoured to take you on d-dates.”

“You’re cute.”

“You’re cuter.”

“God, you guys are disgusting already.” Baekhyun gags from behind them, equally as guilty, his arm pressed against Chanyeol’s. “What?” He snaps at the two smirking boys in front of him. “Chanyeol’s my bodyguard. You think I’m going to employ some twig like you to protect me, Jongdae? Chanyeol’s big and tall, that’s all.”

Sure, that’s all.”

Baekhyun blushes.

 
 
 
 


 
 

author's notes: thanks for reading! here on lj.