I

Melted

It was the 16th January and the streets were covered by shining snow. It was so white, pure and beautiful that even though it could freeze every living thing to death, it still looked so breathtaking and tantalizing. The way it reflected the sunlight and shined brighter than any light or diamond, made Kyungsoo forget his thoughts for a second. When was the last time he saw such a breathtaking scenery?
A city, full of colourful buildings, people and streets, covered with a white blanket. The branches of some tall trees hovering above everything, snowflakes making their way through them ever so slowly. Some of them end up on the streets, others fall onto a red nose, an outstretched hand or the tongue of a small kid that’s running around in the snow.
Kyungsoo doesn’t get it. This beauty.. how can he be the only one who’s not able to enjoy it? It isn’t fair. It really isn’t.

Making his way down the side walk, his dark brown orbs stay glued to the street where one car after another passes by. Not a single one takes notice of the small, fabric covered thumb Kyungsoo holds out. Not a single one gives him the opportunity to escape the persistent cold. No matter how beautiful winter is, it also has a dangerous side. It can hurt you, most likely kill you, too. It’s the same with fire. Everything, that can be described as beauteous, will hurt you sooner or later. It depends on how close you let it get to you. Kyungsoo knew that.

With nothing but a small backpack he was walking around unfamiliar streets, his home town being more than 80 miles away. This definitely wasn't the best season for walking around aimlessly, but Kyungsoo didn't have another choice. It was either this, or freezing to death while sitting around somewhere and even if his whole world shattered into tiny, sharp pieces – he didn't want to die yet. He never was one of those kids that ran around, complaining about their life and saying reckless things like “I want to die” or “Someone kill me already” because they failed a test or didn't get the new cellphone they wanted.
Ungrateful. Kyungsoo could only think of them as ungrateful. He never experienced death in any way but still, it isn't something you should joke around with.

Suddenly, an unusual loud noise was heard. It sounded like a broken exhaust pipe or something like that. Kyungsoo turned his head and saw an old, Bordeaux red truck approaching the traffic light of the street. Behind the steering wheel sat an old lady wearing a way too large, peach coloured hat that covered her grey locks. She looked wealthy in comparison to her car.
Maybe this was Kyungsoos chance. Old grannies often pitied him.

His small thumb was raised once again and his shaking lips mouthed a small prayer. With quick steps he walked to a window of the truck and raised his fist to knock on it, eyes big and pleading. The lady turned her head and as soon as she saw Kyungsoos blue lips and his thumb hold high, she opened the passenger door and gestured for him to get in.

“What is a child like you, dressed in nothing but that, doing outside? Look at your lips. Were you waiting for someone? Did you get lost? Should I drive you home? Where do you live, hm?”
The brown haired boy was taken aback by so many questions. Did he really look so vulnerable and young? Sure, the pullover he wore was way too big for him and still not able to protect his body from the piercing cold, but the freezing boy thought that he at least looked decent.

“I.. forgot my bus card at home and have no money to drive with a cab.” If there is anything besides the cold that Kyungsoo hated, it was lying. While many people use a lie to protect themselves, get what they want and avoid awkward situations, the mere thought of telling them to innocent people that never did him any wrong, made Kyungsoos stomach turn and twist in an unpleasant way.

The lady seemed surprised at the lack of answers she got. Nonetheless she faced the road again and started driving as soon as the ice covered traffic light turned green. She emitted a comforting aura, the one a grandmother usually has. One, that'd hug you and tell you how her day went just to keep your mind off your own problems. It was as if Kyungsoo knew this woman for years already, when in fact, he only met her a minute ago. Maybe it was only his body being thankful for the cosy warmth that wrapped itself around the whole truck.

“I'm heading to Seoul. Do you live there?” Her kind voice echoed through the small space and suddenly Kyungsoo wished for music, news reports or anything of that kind. How could he lie to such a kind soul? More to the point, how should he stay calm and serene for such a long time? A ride to Seoul would probably take more than an hour and he knew he wouldn't be able to bear the ugly feeling in his guts for that long. So he shook his head, brown bangs falling into his eyes as he reached around to fasten his seatbelt.

“I live in Osan.”