Endings Are Just Beginings

Reply 1996

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXjPvW3CDoA (One of the greatest summer songs tbh)

 

2014, Seoul

     “YA, turn up the volume,” shouted a black haired woman as she sat down on a lawn chair while holding lemonade.

 

Summer came to Seoul through scorching, burning heat waves. Today was the only day in a week that was tolerable enough to go outside.  So the Park family along with their closest friends took advantage of what was considered a blessed day.

 

     “Park Bom,” a tall slim woman yelled at her. “He’s your husband, why are you yelling ya? You’re in your 30’s and still calling your husband ya.. Aish. Where do you learn these manners.. YA! Park Sung Woo, yell at your daughter and teach her some manners!”
     “YA! Park Sora, I gave up teaching that stubborn girl a long time ago,” yelled the husband back.
     “
엄마.. You just yelled ya to each other and you’re asking me where I learned this,” Bom replied in disbelief.
    
 “Aigoo, aigoo, aigoo,” Sung Woo said as he shot water at his daughter with a little water gun.
     “
아빠앙~ spray just a bit more water please~. It feels so much cooler.”

Sung Woo chuckled at his daughter trying to act cute and continued to spray cold water at her.

 

     “Ga Yeon-ah, remember this song,” Bom asked the woman sitting next to her.
     “ The summer song of 1995. We were always at the beach,” Ga Yeon responded.

     “I was there too,” a soft yet powerful voice chimed.
     “Ya Im Jin Ah, don’t you mean Nana was there,” laughingly asked Bom causing Ga Yeon to spit out her lemonade.
     “Nana? Who is that,” a man asked as he walked towards Bom and taking her drink. Bom glared up at the man and mouthed ‘aish.’ He only gave her a quick smile through the straw and flicked her forehead thanking her.
    
“Nana was Jin Ah Unnie’s teenage boy crazy alter ago.”

Something Jin Ah has tried so hard to bury, but something Bom keeps uncovering.

     “We lived in the countryside, what else was I going to spend my time on?”
     “School,” replied the man causing the girls –besides Jin Ah- to laugh.   
     “Dong Wook-ssi please be nice to me or else I’ll make Korean bbq out of you,” Jin Ah singly snapped at the man.   
     “
, I understand,” replied Dong Wook. “Summer of ’95, is this the same day that I’m thinking of.” 
     “The day we all met,” another man from behind asked.
   
     “That’s when we first met you Min Woo oppa, and Chan Yeol,” answered Ga Yeon. “Nana couldn’t shut up about the two of you.”
   
     “Who’s Nana,” Min Woo asked causing another round of laughter from everyone besides Jin Ah and this time, also Bom.

 

The deeper the other four people got into the events of that summer the less Bom was mentally present. Her memories exploded in her mind. She saw only a sandy white beach. A glimpse of the shimmering sea. She tasted the salty sea in and felt the cool breeze graze upon her bare legs. And suddenly her memories brought her frozen in the middle of the road unable to move in front of an incoming car.
Dong Wook took note of the growing distant Bom and her father.

 

 

Bom: Summer of ’95. The summer before the end of our childhood, our youth, our innocence. The summer before we entered the deep, vast ocean of adulthood filled with the toughest of responsibilities, difficultest choices, and hardest of goodbye.  Also known as the summer of endings.

 

 

August 1995, Seosan

The warm weather, the bright sun, and the clear blue sky of the summer of ’95 were perfect. It was all too perfect.

The petite yet beautiful beach seemed as if it fit the whole small province of Seosan. Neighbors greeted each other, children played with each other, and teenagers gossiped about the new transferees at the province’s only high school and boarding school.

 

     “Bommie, Ga Yeonie 안녕! Where are your parents,” asked Jin Ah as she walked towards Bom.
     
“Over there arguing,” Bom replied pointing to her parents with her popsicle.

 

     “YA! Park Sung Woo! Do it right,” exclaimed Sora as her husband tried to set up the big umbrella and lawn chairs.
     “Ya.. Park Sora, it doesn’t help if you keep yelling at me!”
     “Aishh!!!”

 

     “So Bommie, did you hear about the new students,” Nana asked.
     “Uhh,” Bom replied while trying to fix the radio.
     
“Everybody’s talking about them. Like everybody just because they’re from Seoul. I’m from Seoul and I never got talked about this much.. They’re brothers you know, Min Woo and Chan Yeol. Oh, Ga Yeonie I heard Chan Yeol’s a junior to! You should talk to him and show him around the country and help him...,” Jin Ah rambled on about the guys and every bit of gossip she heard about them. “Oh, there they are right now!”

Bom took a secret peek at the brothers before continuing to fix the radio.

Two amazingly tall and built boys came into view. Min Woo –the older and taller brother- had black curly hair jelled up with buzzed sides. Chan Yeol – the younger and slimmer brother- also had dark curly hair but was wearing big bulky glasses. Jin Ah strictly followed the two with her eyes and watched their every move. Jin Ah was startled when she saw them walk towards her but was suddenly blocked by someone's stomach.

 

     "Who are you," Jin Ah annoyingly asked the figure obstucting her view from the Park siblings.
The boy in front of her was short with a round stomach that sticked out of his body. 

     "This is my cousin, Jo Se Ho," a voice replied from the back.
     "Dong Wook oppa~ 
안녕," Jin Ah enthusiastically said as she turned around to see him.

Dong Wook was nothing like his cousin. He was tall and skinny yet muscular. He had short black hair that was always covered by his hat which -he wore backwards.

     "He's gonna be going to school with us." 
     "안녕하세요! My name is Jo. Se. Ho. Please take good care of me," he half - shouted military style which startled the timid Ga Yeon, earned a look from Nana, and even a glance from Bom.
     "안녕하세요," Nana awkwardly replied while Ga Yeon did a little bow.

 

     "ASA," Bom suddenly yelled scaring everybody. She then proceeded  to kiss the radio that she had been working on. "Finally, it's working."
     "Dong Wook-ah," Sora yelled from not afar. "When did you get here?"
     "안녕하세요. I just got here 어머니. Do you know where your son went?"
     "Kang Joonie? He's at the store buying some food. Can you go over there and help him?"

     "네. I'll head over ther right now."
     "Thank you son," cooed Sora.

 

Bom: Summer of ’95. The end of a huge part of my childhood, the end of my youth, and the end of my innocence. The summer before we entered the deep, vast ocean of adulthood filled with toughest of responsibilities, difficultest of choices, and hardest of goodbye.

 

Dong Wook along with Bom -and Ga Yeon who trailed behind them- headed to the store across the beach. Bom almost fell down twice as she tried to walk on the sand in her platform sandals. As the three of them reached the end of the beach, Dong Wook held out his arm so the unattentive Bom wouldn't walk straight onto the road. Bom received a small lecture from Dong Wook on being more alert or she could die and proceeded to flick her forhead while Ga Yeon tried to remain a straight face.
Restaurants were overflowing with people and steet vendors were lined up by the street. Bom spotted her brother carrying a plastic bag filled with snacks and her favorite bread. Kang Joon was also trying to grasp the two enormous watermelons he recently bought. Out of nowhere a street vendor's stand collapsed causing all the food and materials to roll onto the street. This created a chain reaction of foods and stands falling onto the road. The incoming cars swerve hurriedly causing them to crash onto one another. At the same time Kang Joon began to cross the street unaware of what was happening. However, one car managed to escape the wreckage and began to speed down the street. Bom who saw the oncoming car yelled at Kang Joon but was too far to hear. The driver of the car tried to her best to swerve out of the way but was too late. The broken watermelon fell on the floor. The food scattered all over the floor. And Kang Joon layed lifeless on the floor.

Without looking at the road, Bom ran to her brother with tears spilling down her cheeks. At the same time Bom ran across the street another car escaped the wreckage and sped towards her. She heard the tires screech and finally looked at the road to see a car heading towards her. She was frozen on her spot not moving but only staring at the car ahead of her like a deer in headlights. But before the car reached her something or somebody had pulled her. She was pulled to the right and fell on top of someone. Still in shock she looked at the person she landed on with big freightened eyes.


Dong Wook was at the other side of the street unable to comprehend anything that happened. He was holding Ga Yeon in his arms so she couldn't see anything. She sobbed in his arms while tears began to roll down his eyes.


Bom locked eyes with her saviour hoping to see a familiar face. Instead she found herself staring at someone else. Bom looked straight into the strangers big dark eyes and swore she saw him before. Her breathing was still rapid and sharp and so was his. Their chests fell and rose in perfect synchronization. She then recognized who he was: Park Min Woo, the new student.

 

 

 

Bom: Also known as the summer of endings. But all endings are just beginnings. We just don’t know it at that time.

 

 

2014, Seoul

    “Ya! 시끄러워! I’m trying to enjoy the song. Park Min Woo, turn up the volume,” shouted Sung Woo trying to tune out the memory of his dead son.

 

 

 

=======================

First chapter is done!  How was it guys? Sorry for the super long wait and all the dialouge. It'll be more smoother next chapter. Whenever you see a characters name and the :, that means it's a voiceover. Like in this chapter had Bom: words words words. So yeah, they're voiceovers. Cool.

Comment and subscribe if you love Kang Joon! (pls don't hate me for killing him)