A not so typical morning

Morning

 

Kim Himchan was not a morning person. He hated sunrise and getting up from bed with his spine cracking, like it was about to snap into two. So when the alarm blared throughout his room, his hand unconsciously chopped the clock sitting at the table near his bed to turn it off immediately—never in his life had he ever learned to do a karate chop but when it came to something that annoyed him to no boundary, he became the master of everything.

Just when he thought that tranquility had come back to his side, his phone decided to disturb him from his peaceful slumber. The heavy sleeper let out a frustrated groan, scratching his head furiously as he reached out blindly for his phone—he thought he’d placed it next to his pillow before he went to sleep last night but it seemed that his phone had its own mind and had planned to play hide and seek with him, just to add one more table spoon of annoyance to his life.

Himchan cracked an eye open with much difficulty—his eyes stung and it they were always like that every morning, every time he woke up. He then turned to his side and looked down from his bed. His phone was on the carpeted floor. Maybe he’d accidentally knocked it off the bed last night because Himchan knew very well that he was not the kind of person to sleep without rolling around in his bed.

“Immakillyounexttimewemeet”

What?” the person who called him let out an annoying chuckle, giving him a sudden migraine.

“Leave me alone. I wanna sleep,” Himchan stated after clearing his throat. His voice still sounded groggy but he knew that the person on the other line understood him well.

You can’t work while you sleep, Himchan. Come on, get up and come to the office right now. The others need your advice on the new project.”

“Can’t I just talk to you guys via Skype? That’s like easier.”

No. Seriously, do you need me to wake you up every morning? I think I’ve been doing it for almost 2 years now and I have no idea why I still do. You’re not a kid anymore. Grow up, Kim Himchan.”

Himchan stayed silent, his eyes closed. He was starting to doze off and it was getting on the other’s nerve.

I’m going to throw your coffee machine away if you’re not here in 20 minutes.”

Himchan opened his eyes instantly at the sudden threat and hissed through the phone. His coffee machine at the office was his prized possession. No one was allowed to touch it except him.

“Screw you, Bang Yongguk!”

“Well, good morning to you too, Kim Himchan.”

And that was how Himchan woke up every morning.

 

 

“Morning, hyung. Here’s the file you needed,” Youngjae, one of Himchan’s favorite co-worker handed him a silver USB as soon as he arrived at the office. “The other architects are still arguing over the plants used for the green roof. I did a little research and all you need to do is to look over and give your opinion.”

“Thanks,” Himchan nodded, making his way to his office when his phone started ringing for the second time that morning. The young architect fished out his phone from the pocket of his khaki trousers and talked before the caller could even utter a word. “I’m already here, in my office right now. Did you think I’m still sleeping in my bed? “

You know it needs two phone calls just to make sure you’re here.”

Himchan let out a scoff and rolled his eyes, closing the door of his office and staring at the calendar he’d hung up at the back of the door for the sole purpose of checking when he could have his vacation. Summer was just around the corner. He really needed a vacation, just so he could sleep all day. Sleep had become his hobby since he started working. Being an adult was not fun at all. He wished he could go back to the time where he was just a toddler and sleep as long as he wanted. If only there was a job that required a person to sleep Himchan swore he would be the first person to grab that opportunity.

“I may be a heavy sleeper but it doesn’t mean that I’m going to ditch work. I can be responsible too, you know,” Himchan was still staring at the calendar as he backed up towards his seat.

The moment he sat down on his leather chair, he froze and stopped mid-sentence, causing Yongguk to question his sudden silence.

Himchan knew that pets weren’t allowed in the building and he was not even a big fan of keeping any kind of creature under his table but he swore that he could feel something touching his legs. And when he lowered his gaze to see what it was, he never felt so shocked in his entire existence.

For the first time in his life, Himchan let out an ear-drum-wrecking scream, the one that people would often hear out of scary movies.

 

 

Yongguk had never laughed so hard before. He didn’t even expect that he could laugh till he felt like his stomach would burst because of Himchan. His friend, the one whom he’d known since middle school sure was someone he could laugh at because of his random attitude but today it felt like the Heavens had decided to reward him a package of joy. The day could never be better if not for Himchan’s frantic voice bouncing off the walls, surprising everyone at work.

“That was not funny, Bbang,” Himchan narrowed his eyes at his co-worker, massaging his chest that had been burning since he’d let out the highest pitch he never thought he could produce with his husky voice.

“I wish I had recorded everything,” Yongguk wiped away some tears off his eyes. “Gosh, you’re freaking hilarious, Himchan.”

“Laugh again and I swear I’ll put my fist in your throat.”

“Hey, not in front of a 5-year-old, Himchan,” Yongguk held up his hands in surrender, a stupid gummy grin plastered on his face.

Himchan hissed at his friend and switched his gaze towards a pale boy sitting on Yongguk’s lap. The boy had a Gundam in his hands, making sound effects as he moved the toy in the air.  

“You never told me about your son coming back to Korea. When did he return?”

“Last night,” Yongguk flashed a wide smile, ruffling his son’s hair in a loving manner. “Can’t believe he’s in my arms right now. I haven’t seen him for a year and a half. It’s like a dream.”

“And your ex-wife?” Himchan let the words tumble out his mouth even before he could stop himself.

He knew that Yongguk was sensitive when it came to his ex-wife. Not something his friend would be glad to be reminded of.

“Still in the States,” Yongguk shrugged. It seemed like the mention of his past lover did not upset him anymore. A surge of relief came to Himchan when he realized that his friend had let go of the past. “Starting today, I’m going to take care of Junhong.”

“Don’t get me wrong, your son is really adorable but what the hell was he doing under my table? I thought he was that ghost kid from Ju-On. Freaked me out with his pale skin.”

Yongguk started laughing again, his son staring at his father with amusement.

“Junhong loves to play hide and seek. I didn’t expect him to come into your office and hide under the table.”

“Well I hope for no more surprise in the future. I can’t risk another heart attack.”

“Uh, actually I’m going to bring him to the office everyday because I’m still looking for a nanny if you don’t mind? It’s really hard to find the right one what with the rumors about evil nannies. Junhong is a good boy, he listens very well.”

“I’m okay with that,” Himchan crossed his arms and stared at the little boy, smiling at him as the boy let out a giggle.   

Yup, quite adorable.

“I’m going to buy lunch for Junhong, um can you watch over him for a while? I swear I’ll return in 10 minutes.” Yongguk raised his brows at his friend.

“Sure, why not?” Himchan shrugged. “Besides, we just met. I need to know more about this cute boy. He looks nothing like you, Bbang. I bet he’s not as annoying as you.”

Yongguk resorted to rolling his eyes and waved his hand dismissively before he walked away, reminding Himchan to not teach the boy inappropriate words because he knew Himchan was really good when it came to cursing out of the blue.

“Why is your hair orange?” Junhong asked, staring at Himchan’s hair when the latter knelt down before him.

“Well, because I dyed it,” Himchan touched his hair and smiled at the boy. “Cool, right?”

“You look like an ugly alien.”

Himchan’s jaw dropped as soon as the words came out from the mouth of the innocent face.

Did he hear him right?

Himchan was 100% confident that he had no listening problem—to be exact; he had like the sharpest ears compared to a normal human being.

 Baffled by the awkward situation, Himchan started laughing.

“Wow, you’re really good at wording your thoughts, Junhongie,” ruffling the boy’s hair, Himchan could only grit his teeth, reminding himself that he was just a kid. A freaking kid who had venomous mouth.

“Your voice is weird. Did you drink something bad?”

Himchan’s smile grew wider; his eyes turned into two crescents—oh how he wished he was the same age as the boy just so he could slap the back of his head. He used to do it to his father back in school so why not his son?

“Junhongie, it’s not a good thing to say that to someone you just met. You should know that it is better for you to keep your thoughts to yourself. It’s all about manner, okay?”

Himchan fought back the urge to get mad at the child. He was an adult after all. Why would he get angry because of a simple thing? He had to act mature despite the rage boiling in the pit of his stomach.

But seriously though, I look like a freaking ugly alien? What was that? I’m not even ugly for heaven’s sake. No one insults the Great Kim Himchan, not even the son of some annoying guy with stupid gummy smile.

“I know what manner means.” Junhong shrugged, tucking the Gundam under his arm as he went for the door to his father’s office. “I think going to work early is also about manner, right Uncle Himchan?”

Himchan had never been so dumfounded in his life.

 

 

It was 10 in the morning and Himchan had just arrived at the office, his eyes barely open and his mind still in dreamland. Yongguk had called him that morning, as usual, but this time there was another voice joining his father in his attempt to force Himchan to wake up. The voice was supposed to be cute but after what Himchan went through yesterday, Himchan was sure that the childish voice had become as annoying as his father’s.

Himchan made himself a cup of coffee from the office kitchen and walked towards his office, twisting the doorknob only to retract his hand immediately when he felt a sticky substance smeared all over the doorknob.

“The hell?” Himchan furrowed his eyebrows.

A giggle disturbed his train of thoughts and Himchan turned around to find Junhong peeking from his father’s office.

That little brat.

Himchan grabbed a box of tissue from Youngjae’s table and wiped off the glue—he assumed—before he entered his office.

“Oh, hyung, I need you to read this file before I send them to the project manager.” Youngjae handed Himchan a file.

“Sure, I’ll give it back to you later,” Himchan nodded, flipping through the pages as he went to his seat.

He jumped out of his seat as soon as his sat on the chair because something had literally stabbed his buttocks and that was not how Himchan wanted to start his day.

“Fu-what the hell!?” Himchan turned around and found colorful thumbtacks on his chair. It didn’t need him a long time to find out who the mastermind behind the stupid prank because he already had someone in his mind as he trudged towards Yongguk’s office.

“Hey, what’s up?” Yongguk asked, not noticing his son who was covering his mouth from laughing out loud as soon as he entered the room.

“Your son is a total brat, Bbang!” Himchan pointed a finger at the little boy who feigned innocence when his father looked at him.

“Uh what did he do?” Yongguk lifted his eyebrows, confusion evident on his face.

“Why don’t you ask your son?” Himchan glared at the boy, hands on his hips.

“I didn’t do anything,” Junhong shook his head. “I just gave Uncle Himchan a present.”

“What present? You mean thumbtacks on my chair? Wow that’s really sweet, you demonic child!”

“Hey, hey no need to raise your voice at him, Himchan,” Yongguk frowned, wrapping his arms around his son. “And mind your words. I really regret giving that dictionary for your birthday last year.”

“He started it! He caused injury to my buttocks and that’s not cool!” Himchan huffed.

“Did you really put the thumbtacks on Himchan’s chair, Junhong?”

“No,” Junhong shook his head, eyes twinkling like some kind of angel and Himchan was trying hard to prevent himself from scratching those eyes off their sockets. “I only gave him a present.”

Yongguk gave a confused look at Himchan and decided to come to his office. When Himchan tried to show him the thumbtacks on the chair, Yongguk furrowed his eyebrows at his friend.

“Those are not thumbtacks, Himchan. Those are sweets.”

“Wha-when-how?” Himchan blinked repeatedly, mouth agape as he stared at his chair.

“Junhongie’s only trying to warm up to you. Come on, Himchan. I know you’re not that fond of children but you can at least try, right?”

“I thought Uncle Himchan liked sweets. Is he mad at me, appa?” Junhong stared at his father with teary eyes.

That fake innocent brat.

“Oh, don’t cry Junhongie,” Yongguk knelt down and brushed the tears off his son’s eyes. “Uncle Himchan can be grumpy in the morning but appa assure you he can be nice.”

Yongguk gave Himchan a disapproving look and Himchan returned it with an exasperated sigh.

When Junhong had stopped crying, Yongguk let his son play with Youngjae and stopped Himchan before he could resume to what he was doing.

“I know you hate morning but seriously Himchan, you don’t need to treat Junhong so bad. He’s just a kid.”

“Well, your so called innocent son is obviously getting on my nerve, Bbang. He acts all innocent in front of you but when you’re not in the picture, he turns into this little obnoxious monster and annoys me to no end.”

“You’re just being ridiculous, Himchan,” Yongguk shook his head, patting his friend’s shoulder as he let out a chuckle. “Just look at him, how can you dislike someone who’s so adorable and nice? I wonder where he gets that gene though.”

“You do realize that you’re praising yourself unintentionally, right?” Himchan narrowed his eyes at Yongguk.

“I learned that from you.” Yongguk shrugged. “Being a narcissist once in a while is pretty good.”

“Well that’s just simply dumb. You can’t copy me.”

“I just did and I’m not taking it back.”

“Stupid moron.” Himchan muttered under his breath.

“I heard that,” Yongguk said as he made his way back to his office. “And you do realize that you’re using the words with the same meaning.”

“Screw you Bbang!”

“And I still wonder why we’re even friends till now.”

 

 

Himchan crawled under the table and ran his fingers on the carpet, eyes looking out for any trap that could be laid anywhere in his office. His chair was safe, no thumbtacks and his table looked pretty normal.

“Hey, Himchan I need you to—what are you doing on the floor?” Yongguk stared at his friend incredulously, hands on the doorknob that Himchan had inspected earlier using glove for fear that the little demon had smeared another strange substance on it.

“Looking for y traps.” Himchan answered without looking at Yongguk who was rolling his eyes at him.

“I think you’re being delusional Himchan. Junhong did nothing to you. All I see is that he’s trying to get close to you. He even told me that he likes you. There’s no reason for him to pull a prank.”

“You’re the delusional one, Bbang,” Himchan turned around to face Yongguk and the latter almost jumped in surprise when he saw his friend’s angry look, dark circles around his eyes. He looked like a ghost what with his pale skin. “Your son is evil. He’s out to get me.”

Yongguk sighed and shook his head with disbelief.

“I think your ex-wife had brainwashed him and turned him into this annoying elf. Urgh, I’m so mad. I’m going to give your son a good slap at the back of his head. You have to let me do it. No one insults Kim Himchan.”

“You should really stop drinking coffee. It’s starting to make you crazy.”

Himchan got off the floor and glared at Yongguk.

“Don’t you dare blame coffee. It has nothing to do with your obnoxious son. He’s the one who’s turning me crazy with his pranks. How did he even manage to do that? Heck, he’s 5 years old.”

“Although I am sure that Junhong did nothing to you but yes, my son is a smart boy.” Yongguk crossed his arms and smiled proudly. “He can do anything if he’s determined.”

Himchan felt like punching him in the face right now and then.

“Get lost, Bbang. I’m not in the mood to see you. You remind me of your evil mini version.”

When his friend had left his office, Himchan sat down at his table and fetched a pen that was perched on a holder and attempted to sign some important documents when the ink squirted right in his face.

“FREAKING BRAT!”

 

 

“Himchan? Is that you?” Yongguk strained his eyes as he entered the building.

“Oh good morning, Bbang.” Himchan greeted him rather cheerfully.

Yongguk blinked twice, not believing his eyes. He then proceeded to poke Himchan’s forehead, making sure that he was not seeing a ghost.

“What happened?”

“What?” Himchan lifted his shoulders questionably.

“Did you fall down and hit your head? Why are you here in the office so early?”

Himchan let out a sarcastic laugh and punched Yongguk in the shoulder before the latter could dodge it.

“Stop underestimating me. I can wake up early if I want to.”

“Seriously, why are you here at 8 in the morning? You’re supposed to be in bed.”

“If I come early to the office, your son won’t be able to put traps in my office. And maybe I could plan revenge huh? I should really come early so I can make him taste his own medicine.”

“Appa!” Junhong came running to his father, holding a box of banana milk in his small hand.

“Did you get nothing for appa from the vending machine?” Yongguk faked a pout at his son and Himchan could only blame fatherhood for turning his friend into a goofball.

“Oh, Uncle Himchan, good morning!” Junhong waved at him adorably.

Oh you fake dwarf, you’re gonna pay for everything you did.

 “Hello, Junhongie. I see you’re here early every morning.” Himchan narrowed his eyes at the little boy.

“Appa and I wake up at 6 every morning,” Junhong replied innocently.   

“Ew, you guys are terrifyingly normal.” Himchan grimaced.

He wondered how other humans could wake up so early.

 

 

“Wow, I can’t believe it. You held on to your vow.” Yongguk chuckled when he saw his friend sitting in his office at 8 in the morning.

Himchan had been early for a week now. It surprised Yongguk to the extent that he thought the world was ending.

“Hello Uncle Himchan,” Junhong greeted Himchan.

Himchan held up a hand and smiled haughtily at the little boy.

Now that I’m early you can’t even do anything about it. Hah! You just lost to the Great Kim Himchan, kid!

“Nice to see you so early in the morning Junhongie,” Himchan nodded. “But not that early since I’m earlier.”

“Okay?” the 5 year old kid shrugged and giving his father a confused look.

Yongguk could only shake his head at his friend’s childish antics. Kim Himchan would always be Kim Himchan, a mixture of childishness and narcissism. But that just proved how unique he was.

“Well, let’s get back to work huh?” Yongguk smiled at Junhong as he tugged at his son’s small hand.

Junhong nodded cheerfully and let his father lead him towards his office. Himchan quickly got up from his seat and peeked from the blinds of his office, lips curling up with a wicked smile.

The second Yongguk opened the door to his office, a great amount of water rained down on the father and son, soaking them in mere seconds.

Himchan jumped up in joy and ran outside, his smile growing wider and his laugh echoing throughout the building.

“Hah! Serve you right you pathetic little demon!” Himchan pointed a finger at Junhong who was staring at his wet clothes. “I win, you lose!”

“This is getting out of control.” Yongguk shook his head, producing a low sigh.

“Wait, stand still. I’m taking a picture.” Himchan fished out his phone and took a picture before Yongguk could even protest.

“Now admit that you lost to the Great Kim Himchan, you bratty baby.” Himchan stood in front of Junhong with his hands on his waist.

“Well, I lost. You win Uncle Himchan.” Junhong shrugged.

“Damn, this is like the best day of my life.” Himchan laughed, ruffling the boy’s hair victoriously. “I am the king of everything!”

When Himchan had left the scene to brew himself a cup of coffee as a trophy, Yongguk knelt down in front of his son and wiped his hair with a small towel Youngjae had given them the moment he saw the incident.

“Did I do good, appa?” Junhong asked his father with shining eyes.

“You did great Junhongie. Now Uncle Himchan will come to the office early every morning.” Yongguk chuckled as he gave his son a pat on the shoulder. “You’re the best son I’ve ever had.”

Junhong giggled at the compliment and leaned close to his father’s ear.

“Now where’s my new limited edition Gundam?”

 


 

A/N:

I have been craving to write about little Junhong being a brat towards Himchan and I finally did it. I have no regret at all. And Yongguk certainly makes a handsome father don't you think so? ^_^

If you have been reading my previous fics you should be able to realize that this is like a sequel to my other fic, Apples and Oranges. Do read it if you're curious about Himchan and Yongguk's past. 

Thanks for reading gorgeous earthlings~