Rollercoaster Romance (Sulay)

642 Things to Write About EXO

Here's your Sulay ;)


“You know…It’s not as scary as it looks.”

Yixing has to scoff at this. Who is this stranger behind him in line to tell him whether his lifelong fear is scarier than it looks? The man has no clue what Yixing is going through, so in the boy’s opinion the man should just patiently wait and keep his thoughts to himself. Of course, the stranger doesn’t catch on to Yixing’s silence and starts talking again.

“I’d understand why you’d be scared, but rollercoasters are just like child’s play. You shouldn’t get shaken up over a kid’s ride.” Yixing doesn’t who this man is, or why he thinks he knows enough to speak so informally with him, but he’s not about to let it slip. “Look here,” Yixing spins on his heels to get a good look at whoever is trying to be a Good Samaritan comfort him when all he needs is silence. “I’ve got no idea who you are, but I’d prefer that it stay that way. So, if you could stop annoying me and leave me alone it’d be much appreciated Mr.” Yixing pauses, and the stranger fills in for him, “You can call me Suho.” “Uh, right…anyway, Suho, I’ve come here to overcome my fears, I don’t really want you trying to but in on my meditating. So, if you don’t mind, could you just shut up?” Yixing grunts, moving forward in the waiting line while still glaring over at Suho.

“Oh, sorry.” Suho seems only slightly regretful about speaking to him, but Yixing is too close to the rollercoaster’s entrance to really concentrate on making a new enemy. The poor boy can already feel his heart jumping up into his throat as he hears the coaster above him roll over the tracks fiercely, it’s much too loud and the rumbling does nothing to calm his anxious nerves.

“So, since when have you had this fear then?” Yixing grits his teeth, this guy really doesn’t know when to stop does he? But then, thinking about it, maybe talking will distract him from the inevitable doom he has to face once he reaches the front of the line. “I don’t know,” Yixing mumbles, glancing around at his surroundings faintly, “My whole life probably.” Suho takes this information and nods his head, seeming to mumbles to himself before asking, “So then are you afraid of height or something.” “What? No, just rollercoasters.” Yixing bites, as if the relation between rollercoasters and heights would make any sense. “Okay, okay I was just curious.” Suho grumbles back, both of them seeming to silently agree to simply stare menacingly at the other.

Yixing blinks after a few seconds, eyes getting dry as Suho cheers, “Hah, I win!”

“This wasn’t a staring contest you idiot!”

“You don’t have to get so grumpy, I was just trying to be nice and get your mind off of you facing the one fear you’ve avoided your entire life.” Suho pouts, as if he’s been the good person from the second he started speaking to Yixing. “Yeah, well I didn’t exactly ask you to.” Yixing reminds him as they move forward, and he’s’ suddenly very aware that he’s close to the front of the line, way too close in fact. Yixing gulps, visibly panicking as he glances up to watch the rollercoaster descend on its tracks way too fast for his liking. “Y-you know what, I just remember I’ve got someone to meet.” Yixing says, turning around to try and push past Suho to exit the line. “If you’ll just excuse me, I’m sure I can come back at a better time.” But as he tries to retrace his steps out of the waiting crowd, he feels a warm hand tug him back into line by his forearm.

Of course it’s Suho’s sickeningly sweet smile that greets hi m once he’s pulled back. Yixing sighs, trying to pull away from the man’s hold, which is rather strong. “Let go, I’ve got somewhere to be!” Yixing whines, almost desperate as he watches the next group of people strap into their seats, most smiling brightly at the approaching adrenaline rush. “I don’t think so,” Suho grunts, pulling him forward towards the front of the line, finally next in line to ride. “You’re going to face this thing head on, I’ll do it with you.” He reassures, and Yixing just whines, too scared to put up a real fight. “That’s not fair! You’re not scared of this like I am!” Yixing pulls on the hand holding his own now, not aware of his intimate the gesture is due to his current fear. “Alright, let’s make a deal then.” Suho proposes as Yixing tries to block out the vision of himself desperately hurtling off of the rollercoaster and into death, a rather ridiculous idea but still possibly in the man’s eyes.

“If you do this with me, then I’ll face my fear as well.”

“What are you scared of?”

“My best friend’s boyfriend.”

Yixing, although he’s mentally crying, has to take a break from worry about himself and glance over to Suho, eyes unbelieving. “You’re telling me that my deathly fear of roller-coaster is equal to your fear of a friend?” Suho nods quickly, eyes seeming to bear fear of his own, “I swear, just wait until you see him and then you’ll understand.” Suho pleads, and Yixing actually starts to believe him when he says he’s terrified of his best friend’s boyfriend. “I don’t know…”

“Next please.”

“That’s us.” Suho suddenly says, dragging Yixing behind him as the boy completely freezes up, the shock of actually going on a rollercoaster too big to keep his mind stable. He doesn’t say anything as Suho leads him to sit beside him in a cart, even going as far as to strap him in safely, even though Yixing knows they’re going to break and he’ll have to end his short lived life on a death trap like this one. Everyone is clicked in, and the operator starts the ride, Yixing snapping from his daze to grip even harder onto Suho’s clammy hand, cold due to Yixing’s tight grip cutting off part of the blood circulation. “Suho, no, I don’t want to do this!” Yixing says shakily, trying to claw at his safety strap. “Hey, stop that or you might get hurt.” Suho reprimands him, which instantly causes Yixing to let go of the belt. He quickly grips it though in reassurance as they come to a stop at the top of a hill.

“W-what’s going on?’ Yixing asks, looking around frantically but quickly clamping his eyes shut once he glances downward. “There’s probably just some maintenance trouble. You’ll be fine.” Suho soothes him, but Yixing can’t seem to keep calm with the way the ground just looks so far away. “Hey, just don’t look down.” Suho tries to remind him, reaching out his palm to pull Yixing’s chin in towards his own face. “See,” he grins, almost making Yixing flush, “There’s nothing too scary up here.” “If you say so…” Yixing glances towards his shoes. “So, then what should we do while we wait?” Suho suggests, eyes searching around him like entertainment will appear before him from the open air.

“Oh, I know!” Suho snaps his fingers and begins digging into his pocket, pulling out his phone. Yixing glances over Suho’s side to see him unlock the phone, giggling silently to himself as he catches sight of Suho’s lock screen. It just happens to be a photo of Suho snuggled up closely to a small Yorkshire puppy, lips puckered in a cute pose. “Hey, don’t laugh at honey!” Suho whines once he notices Yixing’s state of amusement. “It’s not honey I’m laughing at.” Yixing admits, and the look on Suho’s face is too funny to not laugh at.

“Hmm, fine. Just look at this okay?” Suho says as he goes to look through his camera roll, Yixing scanning over the photo files as Suho select one. Taking a look over it, Yixing realizes it’s another boy, probably a couple years younger than him from the looks of his school uniform. While the high school boy seems extremely happy to be alive in the photo, the man beside him stand stiffly, not smiling nor watching the camera. He’s probably closer to Yixing’s age than the first boy, and he’s dressed in slacks and a button up shirt.

“Oh, is this the guy you’re scared of?” Yixing asks, pointing out the cold man. “Huh? Oh, no.” Suho answers, flipping to another picture containing the two boys, this time the younger one wearing a type of martial arts uniform while the colder of the two is in jeans and a t-shirt. “That,” Suho answers, pointing out the cold man again, “Is my best friend Kris.” He continues, pointing now to the younger boy. “Now this guy, he’s the one who’s terrifying.” Suho admits, and Yixing doesn’t believe a single word out of the man’s mouth, because who could be scared of such a cute kid? The boy practically screams immature adorableness, so he’s feeling pretty betrayed right now. If Suho is being serious then why would he need to face his fear of the boy, it’d make more sense if Suho was the one being feared.

“You’re kidding. You’ve got to be playing with me.” Yixing deadpans, but Suho simply nods quickly, his eyes shining with an odd sincerity that Yixing just has to believe. “My fear of rollercoasters doesn’t even compare to that kid!” Yixing whines, suddenly feeling very untrustworthy. “No!” Suho denies, putting his phone away to keep his full attention on a suddenly very angry Yixing. “I swear, he’s deadly! He’s here, after we get off of this ride I’ll introduce you two!” Suho tries to convince him, and Yixing was never one to judge people by their appearances, so he thinks it’s only fair to agree to meeting to boy. “Fine, but if you’re argument is invalid then you owe me so much!” Yixing declares, and Suho just kind of whimpers, slightly afraid of Yixing’s sudden forwardness.

“Alright, we apologize for problems with the ride, we will be restarting shortly. Thank you.” An announcement rang throughout the loud speakers around the ride, and Yixing visibly tenses at the voice, terror gripping him once again. “Hey, I’m right next to you.” Suho assures, but Yixing is still much too jumpy to even comprehend whet his new companion is saying. Suddenly, the carts they are in jerks forward, and Yxigin cries out, tears starting to streak his cheeks as they hurtle forward, peaking over the hill and plummeting downwards. Suho grips Yixing’s hands, suddenly just as terrified as Yixing seems, but more scared for the boy than for himself. Suho isn’t even aware of the ride, more lost in Yixing’s tears then the adrenaline that should be pushing through him at the moment.

“Hey!” Suho screams over the wind, leaning in as close as his safety belt will allow to catch Yixing’s attention. Yixing doesn’t hear Suho over his own terrifyingly high pitched screams, but eventually he hears the other man and turns to looks at him, eyes turning puffy already. Suho doesn’t stop to think doesn’t even consider if Yixing is into that kind of thing before he lurches forward and presses their lips together, forcing Yixing to pay more attention to the stranger currently trying to make out with him instead of the terrifyingly fast ride they are on.

Surprisingly enough to both men, Yixing gives into Suho’s advances rather quickly, leaning in as close as he can with rubbing his skin too roughly against his safety harness. Suho receives him with open arms, not his thoughts so involved with Yixing that he doesn’t notice the slowing of the ride, nor the way their cart lurches forward as they finally come to a halt. Finally, a strong cough beside them alerts them that they’ve safely made it through the ride, and Suho’s heart melts at the way Yixing grins up at him once he realizes he’s actually done it, he’s concurred his fear!

Of course, their moment is cut short by a grumbling worker, so they finally exit the ride, giggling and grinning at one another until Suho finally stops to turn and speak. “Congrats, you did it!” Suho cheers, and Yixing just keeps on smiling, too happy o care if he looks a little crazy. “Now it’s your turn.” Yixing reminds him, shoving his shoulder softly as a warning. “You’d better do it!” Suho visibly gulps, and while Yixing kind of thinks he looks hot when he’s stressed out, he’s interrupted from his thoughts by Suho being yanked from his side rather roughly. “Joonmyeon, I told you not to run away!” Yixing glances to boy who’s currently shaking Suho around like a rag doll, and he realizes that it’s the boy from the picture, the cute one.

The boy takes notice of Yixing’s staring, “Oh, did you make a friend Joonie?” He grins down at Yixing, and Yixing can slightly feel why Suho, or is it Joonmyeon, could be afraid of the boy. He’s extremely sweet from what Yixing can tell, but he seems a little overbearing. “Tao, what did I say about running off?” Another man, the cold guy from the photo, jogs up to the group panting, his hands brushing his fringe from his eyes as he starts belittling the cute boy, Tao he assumes. “Ge, stop being so worried! I was only trying to find Joonmyeon! He’s avoiding me I know it!” Tao whines, but the man just keep going on about how it’s not safe for Tao, and how he needs to be more careful from now on. “Oh, sorry who were you?” After a while everyone just kind of stops and turns to Yixing, and he’s suddenly aware that not even Joonmyeon, Suho to him, knows his name.

“I-uh, I’m Yixing.” He mumbles, cheeks flaming red at the way Suho just kind of smiles at his name. “Well Yixing,” Suho pulls himself away from his friends to step in front of Yixing, “I’m not sure I’ve got time right now to really work on that fear of mine…” Suho trails off, and Yixing just knows he’s about to be ditched. “But, maybe you could come out to dinner with me later, and we could see about it instead?” Yixing’s mood lightens up automatically at Suho’s words and nods enthusiastically, grin spreading from one side of his face to the other. “Yeah, I’d definitely like that.”


Haha, did you like it? That was my first time writing Sulay, I like it they're a cute couple. <3