House of Books (Kaisoo)

642 Things to Write About EXO

Wake up…

Read…

Go to school…

Read…

Go home…

Read…

Go to sleep…

Repeat.

Kyungsoo’s life isn’t the most exciting one, if you could consider it a life at all, because all he does is read. Well, of course he does other things like eat and sleep, but those don’t play as important a role in Kyungsoo’s time on earth as reading does. Because while some people prefer eating delicious grommet meals, Kyungsoo like to spend his time with his nose buried deep into a French cooking book. While most boys his age are out at their prom, enjoying their youth while they can, Kyungsoo is tucked under his cover, reading on about the glamour of a fictional high school dance. If Kyungsoo didn’t have contact on a daily basis with the real world, he’d probably rely on the information given to him by Gwen Regimoe and Laurleen Mc Daniels to know what it was like to live as a hormonal and dysfunctional teenager. He’s got practically no friends, which may not seem surprising to anyone, but Kyungsoo is right along with you. He’s tried befriending student in his grade before, but he’s found no one truly has understood his love of books, of the capabilities reading gives you to travel to another dimension, one where everything is perfect. So, Kyungsoo is left to himself, just him and his books avoiding the world together.

There is one person, Kyungsoo thinks, who could maybe partially understand him. His name is Jongin, and he works at the local library. When Kyungsoo isn’t tucked away within his own impressively sized personal library, he’s got his head buried six inches deep in the public library’s teen fiction and historic biography sections, his two favorites. He hadn’t been the one to approach Jongin, it had been the other way around when the two book lovers had met. Kyungsoo had been thoroughly involved in his fifth chapter of Partially Saved with his glasses pushed up against the bridge of his nose, and his eyes watering as Lily is about to make the decision to kill her boyfriend or her step-brother, when there was a tap on his shoulder that snapped him from his 4th dimensional paradise of book characters and sci-fi romances. “That’s my sister’s favorite.” Kyungsoo had to stop and think for a second, unsure if the boy standing before him was part of his amazingly vivid imagination, or a piece of his depressing reality. “Uhmm…” Kyungsoo glanced down at his opened book, then back up at the boy, still awkwardly grinning at him. “Oh, sorry, I didn’t mean to stare.” The boy sat down, not evening bothered by the ear wrenching screech of his wooden chair on the old tiled floors of the library. “I’m Jongin, by the way.” Jongin’s grin was still plastered on his face, and Kyungsoo could only nod, confused as to what he was so happy about. He didn’t exactly recognize Jongin’s friendliness, seeing as he had little to no friends.

“What’s your name?” he asked after a few minutes of the awkward silence, taking initiative to know Kyungsoo. “Kyungsoo…” the boy responded, lowering his gaze questioningly. “Oh, that’s cool.” Jongin nodded, still grinning idiotically. There’s more silence, and Kyungsoo slowly turned back to his book, slowly trying to ignore the painful silence. “So, do you read anything else?” Jongin asked, leaning in to peer at Kyungsoo over the cover of his book. “Yes.” Kyungsoo snapped, a little irritated that he was still being interrupted from reading about Lily’s crisis. “Oh, well that’s good.” He smiled, leaning back into his seat. “Is that all?” Kyungsoo asked, glancing back up at Jongin, who still sat staring at him happily. “Huh?” Jongin asked, leaning forward in confusion for a few moments before he blinks in realization. “Oh, yeah! No, sorry it’s just that I always see you when I’m restacking the books, and you’ve always got your head buried in a book, so I just wanted to meet you.” Kyungsoo nods, reverting his eyes back to his book. “You know…I love books, you love books, maybe we could, uh…do book stuff together.” Kyungsoo wanted to snort at that, because since when did guys approach him to do ‘book stuff’ together? That’s right, never.

So, here Kyungsoo was, two months after his first encounter with Jongin and his strange friend making tactics, with a slightly major crush on the boy he keeps swearing is too annoying to be considered a normal human being. But let’s face it, Kyungsoo’s had experience with concealing his true feelings, so he has no problem lying to Jongin each time the man tries to get him to come over to his house, claiming he knows Kyungsoo will love him forever if he indulges in the experience of accompanying him to his home. Kyungsoo so wants to go with him, he wants a relationship, wants a friend, wants something real. Something different form the fantastical worlds of fictional teenage heartbreaks and sci-fi battle scenes, something that he can live, something that he can identify with as reality. Maybe he should say yes, and take that ten minute drive over to Jongin’s mysteriously inviting home, he wants to. But, there something holding him back, telling him that he’s fine with his books, they’re all he needs to be happy if he can still recreate that magical dimension of fictional wonderlands.

Jongin is oddly compelling though, with his dark skin and slightly crooked nose. He’s no match for the hot guy from the paperback cover of simply yours, but he’s certainly an image to keep stored up for later personal uses. After thinking about it, and considering all of the effects of his decision, Kyungsoo comes to a conclusion midway through his wrinkled up copy of Smaller Than You , and as he takes a glance to his 90’s style alarm clock to check what time it is, 11:04, Kyungsoo thinks Why the heck not? He jumps up from his bed before that inner Kyungsoo can convince him how bad of an idea this is, which it is, and grabs the car keys off of his dresser as he stumbles down the stairs and out to his car, well technically it’s his mom’s, but that’s not important at this moment.  Kyungsoo nervously drives to Jongin’s home, which he knows the location of only because Jongin has suggestively left his address tapped inside of every book he checks out of the library. His fingers consistently tap against the leather of the steering wheel as he drives, and he even considers turning around once or twice but before he can turn back around in the nearest driveway, he’s already pulling into Jongin’s driveway and locking the door behind him as he stumbles slowly up the leaf scattered front walk of his crush’s house like the shy little girl he believes he is sometimes.

He knocks at the door, and there’s those few seconds of silence where he’s just standing in front of Jongin’s front door like an idiot without a jacket when its twenty degrees below the temperature that its acceptable to not wear jackets in, but then he’s saved from feeling like a complete idiot by the door finally opening to Jongin standing there in his boxers and a tank top looking extremely tired, so instead of feeling like an idiot he kind of feels like a jerk. “Oh, sorry I’ll just go if you were sleeping…” Kyungsoo points back to his car, but Jongin stops him with a shake of his messy haired head and a nod towards the inside of his home as he turns back around to enter the home. Kyungsoo doesn’t exactly know what that means, but he follows him in anyway in hopes of it being an invitation. He automatically grows a grin at the sight of Jongin’s living room once he walks in. Once he gets over the flourishes of bright pink dress up clothes scattered across the extremely orange accent carpet, he notices just how many books there are in the room. Each and every nook and cranny of the room is covered from floor board to ceiling fan with both hard covers and paperbacks.

He’s in the middle of glancing across the titles of what seems to be an entire 84 book collection of shojo manga along the bottom shelf of a colossal sized book shelf, when he turns to ask Jongin whose collection it is and realizes that the man is gone from the living room, or any room on that floor. He wanders around a little bit more and he finds that most rooms, not including the kitchen, look a lot like the living in the way that they all contain a freakishly large amount of books. He’s in the middle the middle of freaking out over the fact that what looks like Jongin’s gaming room happens to have the entire seven part series of Karma; A Twisted Story sitting beside the T.V. when he feels the tug of something on the hem of his shirt. Glancing down, he’s extremely shocked to find a girl, at least ten years old, staring up at him. “Why are you in my house?” Kyungsoo is a little taken aback at the way she glares up at him, but he doesn’t exactly know how to answer, seeing as he doesn’t even know the answer himself. “Uhm…”

“You… ” Jongin sighs, walking in to push a little more distance between Kyungsoo and the girl, who Kyungsoo hopes isn’t some love child that Jongin’s been hiding form him these past months. “What is that?” she asks, nodding her head in Kyungsoo’s direction, although she looks at Jongin when she says it. “That, is Kyungsoo.” Jongin says, grabbing the girl by the shoulders and turning her around towards the door as he begins walking her out and away from a confused Kyungsoo. “And you are supposed to be asleep, not bothering my potential boyfriends. Now scram kid.” Jongin jokingly hits her on the head and then she disappears into a side door, which Kyungsoo disappointedly notices has a lot less books then the rest of the house. Jongin walks back into the room, now wearing pants, and smiles nervously over at Kyungsoo. “So was that, like, your daughter?” Kyungsoo asks, looking around awkwardly. “My daughter?” Jongin asks, eyes widening in disbelief. “Kyungsoo I’m not even out of college!” Jongin says, not sure whether he should laugh or have a panic attack over what he’s just been asked. “Jina is 11, I would have been insane to have a kid at that age! No,” he reassures Kyungsoo as he runs a hand through his still messy hair, “Jina’s my sister. My mom’s not really aroud so she came to live with me for a while. Sorry, if she said anything rude, you know she’s just not used to people besides one or two of my friends coming over…” “Oh, good, I thought you were one of those pimp/fathers for a second. Sorry… But, no, it’s good that you’re taking care of her, that’s cool of you.” Kyungsoo smiles crookedly, walking over to sit beside Jongin on the half empty couch.

They sit there in silence for a little while, Kyungsoo watching the multiple shelves of books, and Jongin watching Kyungsoo’s wandering gaze. “So…” Jongin says after a while, his body wandering ever closer to Kyungsoo’s, until their thighs are touching lightly and they can hear the other’s breathing. “Welcome to my house of books.” Kyungsoo glances over to Jongin, smile just as lopsided and adorable as Jongin’s but he can’t help but to interrupt their perfectly beautiful silence to let Jongin know, “Don’t think I didn’t see how you tried to hide your Twilight collection, it was pretty easy to see behind that Jack Dark biography.”


1 down, 641 to go...alright! So, I've decided to make a list of 50, which has been posted in the forward, and then pick and choose form that 50 until I've written all that i could from it. Then I'll publish the next 50. You can check and see what I'm working on by how each story is labeled in the forward, it eaither has in progress or completed written by it. Kay, are you excited? I am! Ihave decided to mark these as rated only becasue I am used to using language and dark themes in my stories. I will otherwise make a note if it contains or triggers. Thanky You! Bye!<3