You and me

You and me

It was the last class they were sharing at school. Jongin and Taemin had studied together since they were children, they had been really close friends since the day they first met. They did not know another thing that wasn't spending their time with each other; revising their homework and exams together, investing a great deal of time playing videogames and enjoying good comic books, going out to seek for new places or exotic zones to explore or even sharing secrets and experiences they would not bring up with anybody else...

Jongin was scared. He had heard stories of older boys who had drifted apart from their school friends after having been accepted at university, that they had found some other friends and had forgotten their former ones. He didn't want to come through that; he didn't want to lose Taemin. Jongin feared that they would grow further apart, away from each other, he was tormented by the thought of them choosing different paths and it never being the same between them. The boy was too dependant on his friend. He adored Taemin, he loved him. The lad had always been a referent for Jongin, the reflection of what the boy wanted to be like, of what he would wish to become. To turn into somebody who deserved the attention and friendship Taemin used to offer him everyday, that is what Jongin was looking for, what he mostly feared to spoil.

Taemin was feeling unconfident about his future. Not only for his, but for his friends'. He was concerned about how his best buddy would be conceiving all that situation and what he would be thinking about the matter.

Taemin knew Jongin was scared, he could see that in his eyes, everytime that issue would come up in their conversation. He was more than aware of the shyness of his friend, he was sure the boy wasn't going to speak about it openly with easiness, for it troubled him more than he could imagine. Taemin wanted to confort him, he wanted to show him that nothing would change between them although their plans were not the same. He was keeping something deep inside, something that he was looking forward to tell Jongin; something that would definetely change their lives.

One day, the boy felt confident and brave enough to go to his friend's house and speak heart-to-heart with him. As soon as Jongin opened the door and invited him in, Taemin went straight to the point.

-You need to know I am not leaving you behind. You have always helped me and you have behaved like a brother to me, even in my trainee days when nobody else believed in me or trusted me. I will never forget that.-claimed Taemin.

-I don't want us to ever drift apart, like it happens to everyone these days. I already feared to lose you when you debuted, but we could get over it! We need to cope with it now as well and go on together, as we always do! I really don't want us to split up.-answered Jongin, moved by his feelings and scary thoughts.

-We won't. Do you want to know why? I have news I have been keeping for this moment, now is the time of letting you know.-announced Taemin with a wide smile on his angelic face.Â

He suggested to sit down for a minute. Taemin chose a seat just in front of where his friend was waiting and he holded his hands firmly while he spoke.

-The company wants you to join us.

Jongin opened his eyes wide and stopped breathing. He became pale for a moment and couldn't say a single word about it, he was frozen. He was staring at Taemin without making a single move, completely amazed. His friend then broke the silence adding the details.

-I showed them some videos we filmed when we used to dance together at your brother's practice room and they immediately put so much interest on you!. If we practice enough for some weeks we may be able to promote our new single with you. What do you think? Do you want to be one of us?.

Jongin's eyes were wet now. His hands were trembling due to the huge emotion and excitement he was feeling and he was trying to day something that only came out as mumbles. Taemin was still smiling, watching Jongin's tender reaction. understanding that he was willing to go for it, to stick up with him like they had always done for each other. He knew the boy had been dreaming about that since he was born, he had wished to become a superstar all his life and now he had the chance to make it happen with his best friend. This was the great opportunity life was offering them to make their dreams come true without drifting apart from each other, the perfect occasion.

Jongin suddenly let go of those hands that had been holding his and leaped on Taemin, putting his arms tight around him. He hugged his dear friend for a long while, letting everything come out, finally realising his emotions and enthusiasm.

Now Jongin felt that every fear or preoccupation he had stored was fading, vanishing from his mind. He realized Taemin wasn't going to leave him behind or forget about him. They would always be together no matter what. He finally saw there was no drifting apart, that they would always be with each other, that something else had grown between them and they would never lose it.