002

Unfinished Business
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"What's that?" I asked staring at the white petalled flower in front of me.

"It's for you." Before I could ask what the occasion was, Yi Fan had bent over and tucked the flower behind my ear. He smiled, before flopping down beside me.

He leaned back, using his palms as support, and closed his eyes against the sun, a conteted smile on his face. I gently touched the flower, feeling a smile lifting up my lips. For Yi Fan, the action was probably nothing but an impulsive thought, but it didn't matter, because it made me feel good. 

I admired his profile, once again reminded of how handsome he truly was. It was like God just decided to bless him with everything when he was born into this world. My eyes scanned his whole face and I didn't realized that he already opened his eyes until his spoke, "Ya, are you falling for me right now?"

I jumped, "What?" I can't believe he'd caught me staring at him and more importantly, at his lips! Oh God, I probably looked dumb. 

"Because i wouldnt mind if it were you." He winked at me, and before I could even react, he leaned over and I swear I stopped breathing. Was he going to kiss--?  He flicked my forehead and ran away.

"Ya!" I yelled, chasing after him, our happy laughter filling the grounds. 

 

It was my favorite memory of Yi Fan and I. When I first met him, I didn't expect to be friends with him. As soon as the school year started, he became one of those popular guys that everyone swooned over, and I just assumed that he wouldn't be able to take notice of a shy and quiet girl like me. We officially met on a class we shared together. During the introductions, he charmed everyone with his easy smile and quick wits. As for myself, I spoke a tad too quickly because I got nervous. When I took my seat, I looked up and met his gaze. It didnt really mean anything as he had been listening to everyone's intro. He shot me a friendly smile, and I nodded back. 

We didn't speak until two weeks into class. We were the first to arrive in the room, and as usual when our eyes met, we exchanged greetings. His, a smile. Mine, a nod. It had been like that ever since the first day. He approached me to borrow a pen because he had forgotten his. I mutely gave him an extra pen, and he gave me a cool thanks. 

That was the first time I'd seen him up close despite sharing a class with him for two weeks, and at that moment, I finally understood why some people would say he looked like a god. 

 

"I can't believe I could meet someone as good-looking as him. I must have done something great in my past life." Seoyoon shook her head. 

I chuckled, "You probably saved a person's life"

"No way." She snorted, "I probably saved a nation."

Seoyoon and I laughed. Unexpectedly, she and I got closer quickly. She was easygoing and laidback, so it wasn't hard to get comfortable with her. Our mutual love for sushi also bonded us. 

"What are you guys laughing at?" Harang, a little girl, asked us. Out of all the kids, she was my favorite. She was sweet and innocent, the ideal little sister. She looked at us with curious eyes as she clung to her rag doll. 

"We were just talking about what a hero your Seoyoon unnie was in the past." I poked her nose. 

Her eyes widened, "Really? Did you build homes for others too, unnie?"

I laughed as Seoyoon scooped Harang up in her arms. "Better, I saved a king's life."

Harang gasped as her eyes brightened. 

"Eyy.. you shouldn't tell lies." I elbowed her. 

"I'mnot. You believe me, don't you Harang? hmm?"

Harang nodded obediently. 

"Where are the others?" I asked her, referring to the group of boys she usually played with. Harang was the only girl among the kids and the youngest, and even though her oppas took care of her, she would usually play with herself since she didn't really enjoy the 'boys games' as she called them. 

"Kris oppa is teaching them to play basketball." Harang leaned her head against Seoyoon's collarbone. 

"Oh really?" Seoyoon brightened even more. It was safe to say that she had a little crush on Kris. "Let's go check them out, ___." Before I could protest, they had already walked away and I was forced to follow. 

I couldn't resist the little smile that erupted on my face as we watched the game. Seeing Kris with the kids, reminded me of the sweet and sometimes dorky Yi Fan that I knew a long time ago. Kris is calmer and collected, while Yifan was more laidback and cheerful. Nostalgia gripped me suddenly, quickly followed by a little burst of sadness. I wonder if YiFan really had changed, or if this was a facade he brought up for the sake of his image. 

A few minutes into it, Seoyoon got restless and decided to join Kris, leaving me with Harang. The latter wasn't as interested in the ongoings, and she leaned against me as she played with her doll. I absentmindedly caressed her hair as we watched. I can't help feeling the jealousy as I watched Seoyoon and Kris laughing together with the kids. He never laughed or smiled like that around me now. I sighed. 

I didn't finish watching because Harang was getting cranky and wanted to go to sleep. They were engrossed in their game, so I didn't bother to say goodbye. 

 

A few nights later, I was informed that as thanks for all our help, the residents wanted to throw a party. Nothing extravagant, but something akin to a barbecue party. I was touched by the sentiment but I was quick to point out that the residents didn't need to, as they had very limited funds. 

"Don't be such a spoilsport, Hyesoon." Seoyoon feighed a glare at me, "And besides, you don't have to worry about the money, Kris is playing." She playfully bumped the said man on the shoulder. 

He smiled at her, and I had to look away. Ever since that basketball game, they've been closer than ever. There have even been some rumors t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter