001

Unfinished Business
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


"Hey,Hye Seon, you're the one going to Gimje, right?" Jihye asked over the flurry of activity around us. People were in a constant rush, phones were constantly ringing. It was a usual day in our office, Hye Mang.

"Yep." I answered, not looking up from my computer screen. Multi-tasking was a skill that one eventually learned when in a business like ours. 

Jihye sighed wistfully, "You're so lucky, that place is so pretty."

I smiled. True, Gimje was a beautiful place. It was the only place in South Korea where one could clearly see the horizon -- where the sky meets the ground. But I wasn't there to go sight-seeing, I had more important matters on hand. 

I'm Hye Seon, 24 years old, a social worker. 

I've worked with Hye Mang,  a non-profit association designed to help victims of recent tragedies may it be death or natural disasters, right after graduation. To say that I've always wanted this job would be a lie. To tell you the truth, I never even though of it, but during the last few months of my senior year, a friend got me to volunteer, a strategy supposedly meant to make my resume look better, but I fell into it and as soon as graduation day rolled in, they asked me to join them, and it was a no-brainer. 

The thought of Gimje made me a little depressed. Recently, a super typhoon had struck the place, which left several people homeless. It made me miserable to think about the ruins left by the disaster, which was why I was so happy when S&S, a huge electronics company in South Korea, offered to create an alliance with ours. The plan was to bring goods, and to build homes for those who have been affected. Thankfully, there were no casualties reported, which was considered to be some kind of miracle since the damage was so severe. 

I was surprised when I was chosen to spearhead the project. Not that I lacked the confidence, but seeing that I was still pretty much a rookie, it was unexpected for me to be put in charge of such a big operation,  but knowing that I was trusted, also motivated me to work harder. 

 

"Everyone's doing ok. We don't get to eat as much as we want to, but it's enough." Seoyoon talked as she toured me across the tented grounds of Gimje. "Truthfully, I think the storm did some good, it seems everyone's getting along better than ever." Her voice dropped to an almost-whisper. 

As we walked, Seoyoon filled me in about everything that had happened. Once in a while, we'd stop and she'd introduce me to someone, and when we set offf again, she'd give me a tidbit about that person. It would have sounded like gossip if she didn't have only kind words to say. What she had said earlier was true. Despite the unfortunate circumstance, people were chatting and smiling. The atmosphere was so warm and friendly, that I would have thought this was just one big, camping trip if it weren't for the ruined houses in sight.

"Oh, and over there is Kris Wu." Seoyoon said, as we approached two men talking. Kris Wu was the only son and inheritor of S&S. Aside from the office gossip that lingered around saying how goodlooking he was, I didn't know much about him. As we approached them, I saw that he was very tall and had broad shoulders. I wondered if he really was as handsome as they said. 

Once I pealed my eyes off him, I finally noticed the agitated expression on the shorter man, who was facing our direction. If my reading of their body language was correct, it seems that Kris was trying to appease the man.

Seoyoon called for their attention, and they turned towards us. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter