Chapter 2 - College Day One

The Start of Something New.

Chapter Two: College Day One

It was a bright morning at the Liu’s, well, maybe for the exception of one person. Soft laughter could be heard from the living room, conversation was going on and the smell of freshly made waffles wafted through the house, all the way to Amber’s room.

Amber was sprawled out on the bed, with her wifebeater slightly raised up, revealing her defined lower stomach. Her covers were in a mess and so was her hair. Jackie, Amber’s beloved elder sister walked into the room, went to the window and opened up the curtains, letting sunlight penetrate through the glass and onto Amber’s face.

Amber’s face turned from a calm and peaceful expression to one of discomfort, squinting her eyes at whatever was shining at her.

“Get up, Amber Liu!”

“Ughhhhh go away Jackie.”

“Get uppp it’s your first day of college, aren’t you supposed to be up early and be like I don’t know, excited or something? Or at least prepared? Look at yourself!”

First day? Of college? IT’S MONDAY?!

Upon the sudden realisation, Amber jolted up, searching frantically for her phone.

7.52AM.

“`It’s 7.47AM?! School starts at 8! Oh crap oh crap why didn’t you wake me up earlier Jackie?!”

“Well how was I supposed to know what time you start school? Plus, you were sleeping like a log, I did try calling you a few times before this.”

“Crap, no time to talk Jackie, see you later when I’m back!”

Amber jumped out of bed, grabbing a plain white basic crewneck tee, a pair of black skinny jeans and a navy blue checkered shirt, and made her way to the bathroom.

It was fortunate that Amber wasn’t the type to spend hours in the bathroom, she’d usually get out within 5 minutes and boy was she grateful for her natural talent of showering fast.

After getting dressed and her hair dried, she grabbed a handful of hairwax and raked her fingers through her hair, putting her fringe up. When she decided that she looked presentable enough for school, she reached for a waffle on the table, dipped half of it in maple syrup and stuffed it into before wearing her shoes.

It was a good thing the college wasn’t located very far from Amber’s home, but it still needed a full 10 minute run to get there, and judging by the time on Amber’s watch, she was definitely not going to make it in time.

 

Amber’s POV:

8.13AM. Okay, I’m 13 minutes late. This isn’t so bad, is it? Just 13 minutes. Now.. where do I proceed from here? We’re supposed to be having orientation and some icebreaker games or something..

Hmm.. it says here that I have to report to the auditorium and find my group. Okay!

Oh wait. Where’s the auditorium?

“Hey there, is this your first day here? You look lost. Can I help you with anything?”

Shocked from the sudden melodic voice, I turned towards the source of the voice and saw a really pretty girl with an amazing eyesmile. She looked like she was a senior, so I took the chance to ask for directions.

“Hello.. um yeah. I’m new here, do you mind telling me where the auditorium is? I’m kinda late heh.”

“Oh! The auditorium’s right down this road. After that, turn left and you’ll see a staircase leading up to the auditorium.”

“Oh, I see. Thanks a lot for your help! And your name is…?” I said while half walking-running away, still facing her.

“Tiffany. You should probably get there right now, I’ll see you around in school someday!”

“I’m Amber! Amber Liu! See you around and thanks once again!” I half-shouted to her as I was getting further away.

I mentally thanked her again, and headed for the auditorium. Walked into the auditorium and saw many rows of people, tried searching for my group number.

Let’s see.. group 21.. 22.. 23…. Ah! 24!

I ran over to join this row of people who were supposedly in my group. Being the last to enter the group, I sat at the seat at the extreme corner, next to a girl with bright red hair. The girl felt my presence and turned her head around to face me.

At that moment, I felt like the whole world stopped moving. Her eyes, were of such an intense black that I got into her dark orbs. I thought her eyes were mesmerising enough, until I started analysing her other features.

That sharp nose, and that nose bridge, made her face look defined. Her eyebrows were slightly knitted, as though thinking about something. Her white skin that looked ever so milky, and last but not least, her slightly parted lips.

Her lips had a very pretty overall shape, and I couldn’t stop myself from staring. This girl isn’t just the average kind of pretty, she’s definitely one of the prettiest girls I’ve ever seen in my entire life. Scratch that, she IS the prettiest girl I’ve ever seen.

I don’t remember myself opening my mouth but my jaw must have dropped because she looked at me with a very confused expression, as though wanting to ask a question.

Just as she opened to ask a question, the both of us heard something from our group leader. “Guys we have a member who’s late and therefore, new. Come on, put your hands together to welcome her! Hey, introduce yourself to your future course mates!”

 

Krystal’s POV

I’ve been up since 6.30AM, I couldn’t sleep for god knows what reason, maybe I was just nervous for today.

We’ve been sitting here for around 15 minutes or so and suddenly I felt a presence to my right. I turned to face the source and found myself staring into a pair of soulful eyes. The eyes felt like they could read my soul.

There was this blonde.. guy? With his fringe up, looking kind of blur. He doesn’t look half bad, but why is he staring so intently at me?

My eyebrows furrowed and I tried opening my mouth to ask him for his name so that I could introduce myself, when I heard our group leader telling her to introduce herself.

Wait. Herself? Her? The dude’s a girl? Wow.

The dude/girl ah whatever dudette was really flustered upon being called upon, and I actually found it kind of cute hah.

Oh, right. I forgot to tell you guys. I’m biual. But I think I’m leaning more towards the girls’ side?

 

 

Amber got up hesitantly, but however decided to give it her best shot because she didn’t want to be seen as someone who wasn’t outgoing.

Unleashing her inner extrovert, she spoke loud and clear. “Hey guys I’m Amber Liu, it’s nice meeting all of you even though I haven’t gotten a chance to talk to anyone of you yet ahhhaaaaaa.. So um a little about myself. I like basketball, cooking, and writing.”

Soft murmuring was heard and most of the people in the group greeted Amber back enthusiastically. Amber’s eyes shifted to the pretty redhead and saw that she was giving her a small smile, to which she returned with a toothy grin, making her look rather sheepish.

Amber returned to her seat located next to the redhead and let out a sigh of relief.

“It wasn’t that tough, was it?”

Taken by surprise by the sudden exchange of words from the redhead, Amber being Amber, stammered for a bit.

“Um i-it was okay, I guess. I’m not usually that loud..” Amber drifted off near the back, letting out an awkward laughter at the same time.

“Ah, I noticed that you looked flustered just now when you were being called. So.. Amber?”

“Oh you noticed? Well that wasn’t supposed to happen. Ah yes! And you?”

“I’m Krystal. But you can call me Krystal.”

“I’m sorry wha-?”

Krystal let out a muffled laugh, and said. “Just playing around.”

Heh, she’s cute. Amber thought to herself. Better keep the conversation going.

“So um Krystal.. tell me more about yourself?”

“I’m a pretty boring person if you ask me. I like running, I think it helps keep my mind off things, sort of like running away from reality. Other than running, I like to eat.”

“Wow that’s pretty ironic if you ask me. So do you like, run to Mac Donald’s to grab a burger or something?”

“No, silly! That was funny though,” Krystal lightly smacked Amber’s arm and said in between laughters.

The two continued to be engaged in their light conversation until an announcement broke the talk.

“Groups, please kindly proceed to your respective venues for your icebreaker games. Thank you.”

Krystal’s POV

Did I just talk so much to someone I just met? Wow, this girl sure is capable to make me talk so much. Funny thing is, I actually enjoyed talking to her. She’s just, comfortable to talk to?

Maybe college won’t be as bad as I thought it would..

Amber’s POV

Pretty girl’s fun to talk to, haha. Did I just hold an actual conversation with someone on the first day of school?

Great job Amber, you’re doing well!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
   

Throughout the day, Amber made several new friends. There was one named Key, a little feminine for a guy, but they clicked really well. Then there was Henry, who also shared the same interests. A girl called Min was also part of their mini “clique”, along with of course, the most anticipated one of all, Krystal.

The five of them got along well and never did the two of them expect that their first day would actually go so well.

Amber also unconsciously kept a lookout for Krystal, and would walk alongside her most of the time during the day.

 Soon, the day came to a closure, the five of them exchanged numbers, bid goodbye and were on their way out.

“Bye guys! It was great knowing you all! See you lovely people tomorrow!” Amber shouted to Min, Key and Henry while waving and walking in another direction.

Amber noticed that Krystal was walking slightly behind her, and figured that her house was in the same direction as her own.  Amber stood in the middle of the pavement waiting for Krystal to catch up with her, before asking her where she lived.

“So Krystal, where do you live?”

“Oh um it’s on Maple Street 31, apartment number 164?”

“OH MY GOD REALLY? We live on the same street! Just that my apartment’s ten down from yours, I’ll walk you home!”

Krystal’s POV

I don’t know why but I blushed slightly at the thought of Amber walking me home. It’s nice, being around her.

 

 
 

 

 

 

The two walked towards their homes, occasionally exchanging words, it wasn’t awkward, but it wasn’t a comfortable silence yet.

“Well, we’re here. Thanks for walking me home.”

“Don’t mention it. Uh I guess I’ll get going?”

“Oh yeah sure, see you tomorrow!”

“See you!” with that and an awkward smile + wave, Amber left for her own home.

 

 

Diary Entry: 2/7/14

Dear Diary,

Today was the first day of school. It went better than I expected it to be, and I’m really grateful for that. The icebreaker games were tiring though, not going to elaborate much about my day except that I met this girl Krystal.

 She’s really nice to talk to and she’s extremely pretty, not to mention adorable too. I met some other friends too, but I just feel like there’s something special about Krystal. Haha, I’m really tired today, so I shall end my entry here.

Let’s look forward to more great days like this!

 

 

After showering, Amber was preparing to sleep when she had this sudden urge to text Krystal.

Would it be weird if I texted her? I just met her today. It’s just a text, right? No harm sending it.

To: Krystal [10.43PM]

Hey! Just wanted to tell you that it was really nice meeting you and I’m glad. Let’s have another fun day tomorrow, have a good night’s rest and sweet dreams, :-)

From: Krystal [10.45PM]

Heyyy! I feel the same way. Sweet dreams to you too, ^^

Thanks (again) for walking me home!

 

Amber smiled at the text, and drifted off to sleep contentedly.

 

 

Author's Note:

Hello guys! How was it? I took like hours, HAHA. It's one of my very rare long chapters (not very long actually), do give your comments down below! :-)

Would also greatly appreciate it if you guys gave me suggestions or something too! Thanks for reading.