Black Flag

Chasing Shadows

- Black Flag

Juvia woke up at the sound of a scream. Confused at first when she realized it wasn't her making the noise then startled, she tried to focus her eyes on the figure beside her. Jordan began to cry, her blue eyes wild with terror, she had her arms around her, her hands digging deep into her skin. Her friend was trembling and her legs were tucked tightly to her chest. Juvia wiped her eyes to see if she was still dreaming, no she didn't imagine it, Jordan had a bad dream, not her. She couldn't help the feeling of relief that washed through her. She sat up and rubbed her friend's back in soothing motions, trying to calm her down, she knew very well the feeling of waking up from a nightmare. It felt as if you had no room and even air to breathe, your whole body is unresponsive to your will and it's as if chains are holding you down. To Juvia who had mastered this feeling, she still found it terrifying every time her dreams came.

"Shh..shh Jordan, It's alright, It's alright" She said in a motherly voice, still rubbing circles over her Jordan's tense back. "You want to talk about it?"

"There-there where cabs, everywhere, all I could see was yellow, circling around me, like yellow vultures waiting to attack. They had their headlights on and I couldn't see anything but the cabs. It kept going on and on. They were gonna kill me Io. Cabs are after me" Jordan said, her voice trembling.

Juvia said nothing for a moment, trying to process what her friend had said. "O-okay Jordan, there are no cabs here. Were safe in my room, far from those e-evil.. things, so pfft..so your safe now" Juvia said in the most comforting tone she could muster at the moment, holding back the laughter that threatened to escape. That was the most ridiculous thing she'd ever heard.

It was just hours ago that she was daydreaming about Lyon when Juvia found her friend sitting at her front door, crying her heart out. Her things were scattered in front of her, notebooks, pens, a pack of Cheetos and her wallet spilled out from her bag. Her face was messy with mascara and tears, she was biting her fingernails and rocking back and forth, staring intensely at the pack of junk food in front of her, like it was going to sprout wings and fly away. Juvia slowly made her way towards her friend, wary and confused. She called out to her softly and Jordan's head immediately turned to the origin of her name. When Jordan saw her she cried harder and sniffled and coughed.

"Vi-Violeette..ugghhh" Jordan cried out, almost tripping on her stuff when she tried to get up, her foot accidentally crushing the poor bag of cheesy treats. More confused, Juvia was unprepared for the sudden bear hug that Jordan unleashed upon her, making them both stumble backwards.

Juvia had only seen Jordan cry only twice before when she was nearly ran over by a cab outside their school, Jordan only 16 at that time and when her dad had passed away. Wondering why she would cry now, Juvia gathered them both up with some difficulty due to Jordan's dead weight and her wailing, they finally made it inside. Stranger perched from his place, rising up to meet the guest, he padded towards Jordan who collapsed on the floor, shoulders still shaking. Stranger sniffed her at first then settled into his hind legs in front of the sobbing woman. When Jordan saw the dog, she caught him in her embrace, throwing her arms around his furry neck and cried out load like a baby. Stranger reacted to this by mildly struggling and giving out a soft confused whine.

"Jordan, you'll get mascara all over Stranger" Juvia said with a smile but didn't make a move to untangle Jordan from the dog, instead, moved to gather the scattered things of her friend and closed the door.

Jordan slowly let her arms fall to her sides and frowned at Stranger with her messed up face, messing it up more while she tried to wipe her eyes with her hand, now her fingers also had mascara. The dog wagged his tail.

"Im sowwy, Stwanger" Jordan sniffed.

After two cups of coffee and endless crying and wailing, with countless balled-up tissue paper on the floor Jordan finally calmed down. Every time Juvia thought Jordan had stopped crying, a new batch of tears made their way to her eyes and the back rubbing and comforting continued, this went on for probably a good 30 minutes. Juvia finally got a clean towel and wiped her friends face, cleaning away the ruined make- up and the tears, revealing her pale skin, freckles and blue eyes. Jordan sat cross-legged on the kitchen floor with a bowl of mac and cheese in her hands and told Juvia what had happened.

Do you remember the-the new drummer I told you 'bout two days ago? The one I said who was really cute and charming? Well, he's actually my boyfriend, even before he joined the band we-we were already datin'".

Juvia just stared at her. "What?! Jordan, we had a promise. Girl code, remember?" Juvia could not believe she would keep something like this from her. Boyfriends were a major need-to-know in their friendship, not that Juvia contributed much to that arrangement.

"Wait, wait I know, I didn't tell you, I just wanted it between me and him that's all, you know for a change? I wanted to kinda try that secret love stuff. Everything else other than him I've told you already. I 'm really sorry- wait, you really took that code thingy seriously?"

"Jordan! You made it yourself" Juvia said exasperated."You said and I quote 'if we break this sacred promise may our souls be taken away by talking teddy bears and be locked up in a candy store, where they didn't give us any candy and they'd torture us by making us watch while they devour all the delicious, sugar-filled food', unquote."

"Oh" Jordan's face stared at the floor for a minute, bringing a spoonful of her food to , then finally looked up at her with realization "Now I remember! I did say that didn't I, too bad there's no talking-teddy bears to take my soul away" Jordan said triumphantly with food still in . Juvia just let it go, she was more curious about what happened to Jordan and her unnamed boyfriend.

As I was saying, before SOMEONE rudely interrupted me, I moved into his place about a couple of months into our relationship because we were kinda getting serious and I couldn't stand my place anymore, and we were happy the first couple of weeks. This morning I even shaved his beard but, he-he umm..we had an argument a while ago. It was because of me, It was because I forgot to put the toilet seat down and-and change the toilet paper"

Jordan began to cry again, bringing her hand up to wipe her eyes. Juvia couldn't stop from smiling at what she'd just hear but kept silent and let her friend continue.

"I know it's stupid, really stupid and immature, but he was really patient with me before, we just got home from a crazy gig and we were really tired, and-and that's when he went into the bathroom and got angry. He's kinda the neat freak between both of us and there's nothing wrong with that it's just that he notices EVERYTHING. He yelled at me saying that I was too irresponsible, too child-like that I couldn't even change the tissue paper. Damn my pride, I didn't back down, God I'm so pathetic. I even defended myself for the toilet seat, for the tissue, I freaking did it for tissue paper, ing TISSUE PAPER, and he was full of it. He wouldn't talk to me after that, just locked himself up in the guest room. I couldn't take it any longer, so I came here. I even took the damn stairs"

Jordan finished with a slight tremble in her lower lip. She stared up at Juvia waiting for her to say something. With a sigh, Juvia sat down in front of her friend and ruffled Jordan's hair.

"Alright, Alright you can stay here till you two make up" Juvia said. "Although I'd like to meet him if ever you two make up, okay?"

Jordan nodded and smiled, her periwinkle eyes twinkling. "Thanks" she said in a small voice.

And now here they were, Jordan having cab nightmares and Juvia trying to calm her down. This was so strange, Juvia wouldn't be surprised if it was only a dream. Stranger came and jumped to the bed, he barked at Jordan. Her friend hiccupped and petted the dog, the fur on his head, it seemed that Stranger could sense Jordan's sadness, he also did with Juvia, it was freaking her out right now and she wondered what else Stranger could do. Juvia got up and brought Jordan a glass of water. Everything was fine after that, and they all went back to sleep, with Stranger in the middle of the two girls, Jordan wouldn't let go of him.

The next morning, Juvia found Jordan making pancakes. She wore Juvia's apron and hummed to herself, her hair was tied back, fuchsia strands showing beneath the black, turned up into a sweet smile. Juvia had never seen her friend look so normal. Jordan looked as if she'd woken up with flowers in her hair and birds chirping in her ears, with animals that could talk to her and a big castle around her. It was not the presence of a person who'd just have a nightmare.

"Wowyou sure look happy. Let me guess, after your nightmare, you dreamed that you were a cape-wearing superhero whose power was to make the cabs of the world disappear with one look, and your name was The Magnificent Pepperoni, the mighty destroyer of man-eating cabs" Juvia said, moving towards her friend, the smell of pancakes filling her nose.

"Close enough, my name was The Pink Slasher, destroyer of evil transportation , I had a shining pepperoni kinda like a light sabre, only circular and I'd fling it to the cabs and they'd all blow up, like in the movies, cool huh. It was all thanks to Stranger, I don't know, I just had the best sleep with him beside me, maybe you should try it, he could become your living, breathing dream catcher, you'd turn into The Vengeful Lady, and kick my brother's out of your dreams". Jordan stuck her tongue out and dropped the finished pancakes onto an awaiting plate in front of Juvia.

"Stranger? I never knew I had a magical dog" Juvia said and muttered a thank you, flinging syrup over her breakfast. She took a bite and Jordan sat in front of her with a steaming cup of coffee in her hand, with marshmallows added off course.

"You know what? I think I'll take the day off. Maybe go shopping, skip my classes, buy a new toilet, or-or change my highlights to violet, as tribute to you or something, as thanks for letting me crash".

"Suit yourself, you could go all the way and dye your hair with rainbow colors, now that would definitely be a tribute to me" Juvia chuckled.

An hour later Juvia descended the stairs with her hair in a braid. Jordan described how good she'd look in it while she fixed Juvia's hair. She just stared at her reflection in the mirror while her friend fussed behind her, she was pretty, that was what Lyon said. Juvia never really considered herself as beautiful, Lana was and even Jordan but her? Juvia guessed she didn't look too bad after all. She had dark brown hair, almost blue-black at a certain distance, fair skin, and her eyes were big green orbs surrounded by long-thick lashes. Juvia had a small, slender figure, not to tall, not too short, it suited her face very well. She kinda admitted to herself right then and there that she had grown into a woman, a very attractive, successful woman. The braids helped too.

Juvia switched her thoughts to something else. What Jordan said throbbed at the back of her mind, Stranger somehow eased Jordan's nightmare. She'd have to try for herself. Having Dr. Jellal helped but it was a slow process, she wanted a cure, fast, and that remedy had just been with her the whole time.

Juvia went to work with the thought that she'd finally be free of her nightmares.

Lyon called her up and took her to lunch at a simple restaurant. Wooden benches and marble tables lined the walls, the menu written in colorful chalk above the counter. He led her to the table farthest from the door only a couple of diners were there so the place was quiet and peaceful, it suited her just fine. Juvia ordered pasta and Lyon ordered the same, adding two iced teas and two blue berry cheesecakes as the young waitress gaped at him, unconsciously scribbling on her pad. He was indeed very charming today, dressed in jeans and a black T-shirt, with only a chain necklace for jewellery tucked inside his shirt, his hair was pushed back in a teenage kind of way that made him look carefree. Juvia was happy to see him again, and she felt a fluttery feeling in her stomach.

She told him about the publishers liking his work, about how they said they'd work on it soon. She told him about Jordan and how unique and wonderful she was, describing to him her line of interests that Lyon found ' ironically fascinating' and left her fear of cabs for last. The food came and they began to eat.

"I actually know someone like your friend. He has pink hair and he likes to eat spicy food, you'd think of him as a tough guy although he can't take any form of transportation. I'd like to meet your friend someday" Lyon softly laughed.

"She'd like you" Juvia joined in, bringing her fork encircled by pasta to .

I think we'd hit off pretty well" Lyon said after a sip of his iced tea, his grey eyes searching Juvia's face. Lyon looked like he was contemplating something, after a moment he finally asked. "By the way, do you have a boyfriend?"

"Do I what?" Now she was stunned, almost choking on her food. The question came out of nowhere, as if Lyon just asked her about the weather, it was so casual yet Juvia couldn't bring herself to answer. She bit her lower lip and shifted in her seat.

"I'm sorry, you probably do" Lyon answered quickly, twirling the straw between his fingers. He laughed nervously and averted his eyes from her.

Wait what? Did he just say- Juvia's mind slowly processed his words, not wanting to believe this was really happening. He thinks I'm taken, answering her own questions in her head, Juvia looked up at him and he met her eyes, smiling awkwardly.

No, no, Ugh Wes I-I'm single.." Finally recovering from her sudden silence, her mind was a warzone. She couldn't make sense of anything. Lyon's silvery eyes were the only thing that kept her thoughts grounded to Earth. Her hands trembled as she took a sip of her own drink. Swallowing without tasting anything, the cold liquid burned as it went down.

"Oh, I just assumed, a girl like you would" His eyes registered surprise, but his lips were twitching like he was holding back a big grin.

Juvia was baffled, how he could ask her a question like that so casually, then assume that she already had a man? Wow he must think I'm really pretty. Juvia felt herself slightly become conscious, quickly tucking her hair behind her ear. Another question popped into her head, mustering all the courage she could, Juvia asked. "Why'd you ask?"

"I wouldn't want to chase after an unavailable woman" He said softly. His posture suggested shyness, but his words where so straightforward that Juvia described him as 'attractively ironic'. Whatever that means she said in her mind. But her thoughts came back to his answer, he didn't want to be friends, he wanted something more complicated than that. Juvia felt her heart flutter and the teenage giddiness came back to her again. She didn't realize she had kept quiet for so long, Lyon simply sat and looked at her, trying to assess what she was thinking and how she was gonna react, his eyes like steel. Juvia swallowed deeply, not knowing what to say.

"Wes I-" she couldn't even finish her sentence. Juvia felt her cheeks grow hot, her body began to tremble.

"It's okay, you don't need to force yourself, see you're even using my second name" Lyon said as he touched Juvia's hand with his fingers. Juvia expected them to be cold and they were but the effect was the opposite, the contact brought warmth to her instantly and it was enough to stop her from trembling. He definitely had a big effect on her. "It's no rush, really, I just wanted to get it out before you got the wrong idea, just to be clear. I'm sorry I guess I was too straightforward" Lyon said and grinned at her.

Juvia knew he meant every word. He was not after friendship, the intensity in his eyes told her that. It was plain in his face when he'd left her office the day they met and in the way he looked at her. How could I have missed that Juvia scolded herself. She imagined what she looked like now, with wild surprised eyes and blushing cheeks. She brought her hands up to cool her face, slowly tearing her eyes away from his gaze to look down at her half-finished pasta. She lost her appetite.

"I'm sorry" She said in a small voice, her eyes stealing a look at him under her lashes.

Lyon chuckled, bringing his hand over the table to her, he tipped her chin up with his fingers. Juvia had no choice but to meet his steady gaze, brilliant silver eyes, finding no sign of deceit.

Please stop apologizing, it's making me guilty here. " He laughed softly. "No rush Juvia, you just take your time okay? We could see how things go, If you'd like that." Lyon said in a soothing voice.

"Okay" Juvia whispered with a nod and a shy smile.

Lyon retrieved his hand. "Okay then"

Juvia found herself thinking about him as she walked up the stairs, this was happening way too often. Lyon had told her about his intentions. He wanted more than friendship and he liked her, he said he could wait and Juvia believed him. Juvia knew she could come to like him too but didn't know if she could be in a relationship with the way she was right now, not with her dreams making her remember about her past love. Just take your time she repeated in her thoughts. Lyon had said it to her clearly and directly, although she knew he was shy at that time, he still said it.

Gray's face entered her mind. Gray the little voice in her mind said. She thought they shared mutual feelings for each other, she suspected it at the times that he'd touched her, her hair back to stare at her eyes, how he looked uncomfortable when another man touched her the way he did, but at the most crucial time he couldn't confirm her thoughts.

That was the past but this memory haunted her to this day, playing in her mind as if it happened just days ago. She never knew why he hesitated, it seemed like his answer was different than what he really wanted to tell her, he never got the chance to explain and Juvia blamed herself for that. Juvia also blamed herself for she was too impatient, too eager to hear it from his lips that she'd driven him into denying whatever feelings she though he had for her.

If only I didn't ask, If only I'd waited a little longer."

Jordan greeted her at the door way. Juvia barely noticed her friend's hair, bouncing as Jordan excitedly waved, with violet highlights, cut shorter into doll-like asymmetrical hairstyle, almost similar to a Japanese anime character. It suited her personality very well.

Juvia found the place unexpectedly neat and everything in place, she wouldn't have been surprised if everything was cluttered like a tornado just passed by, it was Jordan after all. Juvia guessed her friend didn't want to be kicked out any time soon, that meant that she still hadn't made up with Mr. Drummer.

They ate the Chinese food that she'd ordered, all while Jordan chattered about her day. Juvia listened eager to erase her previous thoughts that burned at the back of her mind. Jordan told her about the gay hairstylist that complemented her highlights, the people that stared at her as she flaunted her new hairstyle, appreciating the attention.

Later, they were sprawled on the floor watching a movie Jordan rented. It was a suspense- thriller where blood and body parts flew across the screen and a serial killer stabbed a screaming girl inside the bathroom with a bread knife.

"Why do they always enter the dark creepy room? You're supposed to run idiots." Jordan said to the screen. It was so pathetically horrible that Jordan laughed at every scene, cracking up as soon as the killer appeared with his bloody knife. "Oh here it comes" she said as the man came towards the victim.

"Uggh!" They both groaned as fake blood spewed across the screen.

Juvia had to admit the movie was bad enough to be a comedy. They ate ice cream as they watched with Stranger's tail on Jordan's lap and his head on Juvia's, his beady eyes concentrated on the TV. A knock on the door interrupted their movie. Juvia moved to rise and Stranger lifted his head.

"I'll get it" She said. Juvia walked towards the door, wondering who would visit her at this time, pushing her thoughts aside she reached the door and opened it.

Lips descended on with great force. Her eyes widened with the sudden contact and her body froze. Her mind exploded a million times over or was that from the movie, she couldn't decipher. What the-? She screamed in her head. Alarms blared and volcanoes erupted inside her head as the man leaned in closer. He held her arms firmly and dragged her a step towards him, exposing her to the hallway. The soft pressure on Juvia's lips felt so wrong.

Another scream came from inside as a character died, she also felt a scream rising in . Finally her lips were free. Juvia stared at the man in front of her. She tried to put a name on his face, but she ended up with none. Her breathing was hard and she wanted to slap the man but her arms were frozen in place.

"Io, come on your missing the almost-good parts, who is that?" Jordan called out appearing behind her. "ZEF?!" she half-shouted.

The man's brown eyes widened with realization as soon as he drew back. When he saw Jordan, his jaw fell open. His eyes kept on looking back from the woman he just kissed and back to Jordan, panic rose in them. "Oh ".

Thud.

Their heads whipped to another man standing in the hallway, bags and suitcases dropped to the floor. Juvia's breathe caught in .

"Gra-"

Jordan barely finished his name when Gray's fist connected with the man's jaw.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Unbeing dead isn't being alive."
- E. E s