Prologue : A New Housemate

If I Die Young

I’m opening my eyes while fixing my gaze at the mini alarm on my nightstand next to my bed.

 

10.00 am, I must’ve been so tired that I failed to hear the alarm bell

 

Carefully I’m pulling myself from my bed and walking out from my room towards the bathroom. Suddenly, my head feels like spinning around while I’m opening the bathroom’s door. Eventually my body limps forward to the sink as I’m grabbing the edge in reflex. I’m trying to stand still, but my legs are shaking uncontrollably. Lifting my face up, I can see bloods starting to ooze out from my nose. I’m starting to breathe heavily, and the next thing that I know is my conciousness is fading away while I’m falling on the bathroom’s floor right after.

 

***

 

“...Sungjong-ah! Are you awake...?”

 

I can hear my brother’s voice calling me as I’m slowly regaining my conciousness back. Slowly, I’m lifting my eyelids and opening my eyes once again as I’m looking at my brother, Lee Sungyeol, and another strange man with black hair and black t-shirt, sitting on the edge of my bed.

 

“Yeollie-hyung...? Did I... faint again at the bathroom?”, I asked him faintly as my voice getting hoarse when I’m trying to speak. He nods while grabbing my hand and it softly.

“Yes you did..., I was worried like hell. You were fainting for 3 hours straight, it was even longer than you usually did you know?”, answered Sungyeol-hyung with teary eyes. I can feel that he’s seriously worried about me that I’m feeling somewhat guilty for him.

“Sorry, hyung...”

 

I’m shifting my gaze at the stranger next to my brother as the man looking back at me. Both of our eyes are interlocked and somewhat gives a strange feels to me.

“Who... are you?”, I asked the stranger. My brother realizes that both of us are in the middle of staring contest as he chuckled at both of us.

“Aah, I was too worried about you that I forgot to introduce him. He’s name is Kim Myungsoo, my elementary friend. You might not remember because you were still very young back then. Myungsoo-yah, as you already know, this is my little brother Lee Sungjong”

 

“Annyeonghaseyo, Sungjong-ssi. My name is Kim Myungsoo”, says the man in black shirt which also brother’s childhood friend while doing a short bow at me.

“A’annyeonghaseyo, my name is Lee Sungjong. I’m Sungyeol-hyung’s brother”, I answered his greetings with a slightly deeper bow at him, “I’m sorry that your visit to our house being interrupted by my condition. I’m just feeling a little bit not good at morning...”

 

Sungyeol-hyung widening his eyes as he’s pinching my cheek and scolding me as if I’m an elementary school right after I said that.

“Ya, ijasshik! A little bit my , you’re freaking sick and supposed to bedridden by now, yet you’re always forcing yourself for going to school. You should be thankful that today is Sunday. Try to imagine yourself fainting in the middle of your class. Your friends would be panicked like hell!”

“You’re the only one who’ll get panicked when I’m passing out hyung. I bet my friends will only staring at me and says ‘omo, Lee Sungjong suddenly faints. Might be a little bit tired. Let’s leave him like that for a while, he’ll wake up later eventually’”

“That’ll make me worried even more!”

 

Noticing that Kim Myungsoo is being leaving out of the conversation both of us temporarily stops our fight as we’re grinning at the guest at the same time. Suddenly, Sungyeol-hyung seems like remembering something as he continues his introduction of Kim Myungsoo.

“Ah, by the way. Myungsoo-yah is actually a year younger than me and starting tomorrow he will attend the same school as you as a third grade. He just got send by his parents to Seoul from Japan yesterday as they wish that Myungsoo would attend a university in Korea next year. At first he was going to rent an apartement to stay. But when he told me that he’ll come to Korea, I’m inviting him to live in our house in no time. Our parents are away anyway right?”, explains Sungyeol-hyung about the whole situation.

 

Honestly, I’m not surprised by the fact that Myungsoo-hyung will live together with us as he just arrived at Seoul by this morning. My brother Lee Sungyeol is the type of person who is kind, but usually just a thoughtless person. That explains a lot actually.

“I see... It’s nice to have another housemate. I’m looking forward for your cooperation, Myungsoo-hyung”, I say. The raven haired man smiles and answers a short ‘thanks’. Maybe it’s just my imagination, but somehow I can see Myungsoo-hyung kinda blushed a bit when he’s saying that.

 

Na’ah. It can’t be real.

 

“By the way, Myungsoo-yah. Haven’t we finished unpacking your belongings yet? Why don’t we leave Sungjong-ah to take another rest? I think he should sleep now if he really wants to go to school tomorrow”, says Sungyeol-hyung as he interrupting my mind.

“Don’t you worry, Yeollie-hyung. Just a small nosebleed won’t  stop me for coming to school”, I answer him. My brother replies me while mumbling his curiousness of my reason for keep going to school even when I’m sick as he’s walking out of my room along with Myungsoo-hyung.

 

It’ll be a problem if that Myungsoo guy stays around me though...