Chapter 1

Listen To The Whisper Of My Heart

Taeyeon looked up at the tall brick building and sighed in exasperation. There she was again, in the school of doom. She swallowed the non-existent lump in and walked toward the main entrance to the huge school.

Taeyeon is twenty-six this year and she is a music student, studying at the popular California School of Music. She was from Jeonju, South Korea but later on moved to Seoul, South Korea with her parents to continue primary and high school. After graduating, she wanted to pursue her dream as a singer so her parents sent her to the United States to further her music studies.

When she first entered California School of Music, she knew it was a huge mistake to study music and regretted it instantly. The students leered at her during orientation and some threatened to hurt her physically. She was scared as she had no friends at all in America, and as far as she knew, there were no other Koreans in that school to help her.

Taeyeon looked up when she saw a shadow loomed infront of her. It was a boy no older than she is, leering at her. She knew who that boy was, of course. He was the popular half-Thai sophomore, Nichkhun Horvejkul. She stepped aside to let him pass but he shot out a hand to block her path.

"Trying to escape, shorty?" He grinned.

Taeyeon was quiet but tough, and she gritted her teeth. "Let me pass."

Nichkhun smirked. "What you gonna do if I don't? Run home to mommy?"

"I'll tell the school authorities," Taeyeon replied.

Nichkhun howled with laughter. "That's all you can do? Seriously?" He laughed again.

Just then, a beautiful girl with long and straight black hair walked toward their direction and stopped infront of Nichkhun. She narrowed her eyes.

"Are you always so free, Nick?" she asked.

"Normally," he shrugged. 

The girl shook her head in disbelief and walked away without even a glance at Taeyeon.

Nichkhun turned back to Taeyeon and that smirk was on his face again. "So?"

"So what? Let me go." Taeyeon tried to push his hand away but he stood in her way again.

"Why are you so desperate to go?" he asked mockingly. "Girls are usually trying to come near me and I'm the one fending them off. What makes you so special?"

"Because I'm Taeyeon," Taeyeon said as a matter-of-factly. "Now let me go."

Nichkhun grinned maliciously. "Scream for help. Go on. You scream, I'll be scared, and I'll let you go. Scream." He grinned again.

Taeyeon heard the first lesson bell rang in the distance; she knew she was late for her morning lesson. Jazz music. She couldn't miss jazz and her parents paid loads for her tuition fees. She glanced at Nichkhun's hand blocking her path and acted instantly. She took hold of his right arm, bend over and bit it with all her strength. Nichkhun screamed in pain and jerked his hand away. 

"Ow!" He screamed. "You... You  How dare you..."

Taeyeon didn't hear what she dared because she was already sprinting off toward the main entrance, her left hand clutching her files and notebook. She panted noisily when she reached the chilly main hall of the college; it was deserted. Most of the students were already in class. 

Taeyeon walked toward her locker at the lockers section and decided whether to enter class or not. She knew she'd miss a great deal if she didn't attend jazz, but she also knew she'd get unwanted attention if she arrived late. The thought of a hundred students in the lecture hall, staring at her as she pass... She shuddered. It was scary. She decided she'll just skip this class. 

"Damn Nichkhun,"she muttered under her breath.

She walked past the lockers and went toward the vending machines. She swiped her student ID across the gap and pressed the Coke button.

After slurping down a few mouthfuls of refreshing cola, she turned but froze suddenly, her eyes wide. Standing before her was six Caucasian boys, with the wild gangster girl whom she suspected was Asian or half-Asian standing infront of the boys and beside her, stood a grinning Nichkhun.

The girl, Taeyeon thought, was beautiful. She was tall and fit, with long, wavy dark brown hair, fair skin, huge eyes and red, y lips. She had her arms folded across her chest as she regarded Taeyeon coldly. After a few moments of silence, she walked toward Taeyeon and stopped infront of her.

"What have you done to my boyfriend?" she asked coldly. Her voice was husky and brittle, like she was having a bad cold.

Taeyeon decided to play tough with this girl. If she appeared to be soft, she'd get bullied more often. She glanced at the still-grinning Nichkhun and jerked her head toward him.

"What have I done to him?" she asked. "Ask him yourself."

The girl pushed Taeyeon violently. "When I ask you something, you answer properly."

Taeyeon had regained her balance, but she was furious. She pushed the girl back, hard, and Nichkhun rushed forward to grab her arms. The six boys shouted at Taeyeon and two of them moved toward her, a threatening look in each of their blue eyes.