Complicated

Fate's Handprint

~Taemin~

“We’re screwed.”

“No, hyung, I got us in here, and now I’m going to get us out. I promise. I’ll keep looking through this book.”

“Okay. But you probably shouldn’t spend too much time with your nose in that book. You need to rest as well,” he said, putting his arm around me in attempt to comfort me. It didn’t work. I was too stressed in that moment and I wanted to get us out of there are soon as possible.

I continued to look through the book, trying to follow what it said before, but I just couldn’t focus. I couldn’t stop thinking about what Kai did. We were best friends, I don’t know how he could just do that to me. His confession didn’t catch me off guard that much, I was sort of aware of his feelings for me, but I didn’t realize they were so strong that he would act so irrationally. It’s not that I don’t love him, just not in that way. I had considered if I had feelings for him before, but I realized that I cared too much about him to ruin our amazing relationship, and he was just like the little brother I never had. We were always together ever since we were children, and other people probably looked at us and thought we were siblings. That’s how close we were. I couldn’t help but feel heartbroken that that was all over because of me. If I had just done what he wanted and trusted him that our friendship wouldn’t be ruined, he wouldn’t have gotten so angry and acted out. If I hadn’t overreacted over such a small thing and tried to leave him, he wouldn’t have put me and Key-hyung in that room. Not only did I ruin one of the greatest friendships in existence, I brought one of my closest friends down with me, and I can’t get him out of this. I felt tears form in my eyes again, threatening to spill out down my cheeks. Key-hyung was asleep on my shoulder and I couldn’t wake him up. I put the book on the floor beside me and rested my head on to Key-hyung’s head. It wasn’t long before I was asleep.

***************

“Hyung…”

I woke up in a different room, this one was black instead of white. I was sitting up against a wall like I was before. I looked in front of me and Jongin was sitting in a black chair in the center of the room, a blank expression on his face. He was staring right at me.

“Jongin?”

“Hyung, why would you do this to us? We were perfect, you ruined us.”

“No, I didn’t m-“

“Taemin, how could you do this to me?”

I looked over to the left and Key-hyung was in another black chair identical to the one that Jongin was sitting. He too had a blank expression on his face.

“Key-hyung?”

“You brought me here with you. If I had never met you, you wouldn’t have done this to me. It’s all because of you.”  He pointed right at me.

“Key-hyung, I’m so sorry, I never meant for this to happen.” I said. I was crying again, I couldn’t believe my best friends were doing this to me. I brought this all on myself, I deserve this. I hurt everyone around me.

“You hurt us Taemin.”

“Why, hyung?”

“You’re terrible, you did all of this.”

“No! I didn’t mean to! Please stop!” I screamed. I covered my ears and lifted my knees to my chest. I was still crying, I couldn’t stop. They were right.

“Taemin.”

“Taemin!”

***************

“Taemin! Wake up!” I woke up and Key-hyung was shaking me hard. I was sweating really badly and my head was hurting. I blinked my eyes, adjusting to the bright white room I was in once again. I looked at Key-hyung for a second, realizing that those events had just been a terrible dream. I jumped into his arms, hugging him really tight.

“Key-hyung, I’m so sorry! This is all my fault, I brought you here and trapped you with me. I’m the worst friend ever, you must hate me,” I said, crying into his shoulder.

“Taemin, what are you talking about? It’s not your fault at all. I could never hate you, and you are my best friend! It’s Kai’s fault, don’t try and blame this on yourself,” He hugged me back, trying to reassure me that it was okay. We stayed like that until we heard a loud sound. It was my stomach.  Key-hyung laughed and looked at me.

“Hungry?”

“Yeah, I haven’t eaten since lunch yesterday.”

“Well, you’re lucky. I woke up and saw that,” he pointed to a table and some chairs, also white, and on top of the table, was food.

“Yes!” I said, running to the table. I sat in one of the chairs, Key-hyung sat in the other.

“Ahh, it’s your favorite Taeminnie. Steak,” he said, smiling at me. I definitely felt better now. We sat and ate not talking much but there wasn’t complete silence.

“Do you think he left it when we were sleeping?” I said.

“Who? Kai? He must have. Who else could know we’re here,” he replied as he continued eating.

“I don’t know. Do you think he has other people with magic like that?”

“Maybe Kyungsoo? He spent the most time with him, next to you.”

“That’s true,” I said. I looked and Key-hyung was done with his food, and so was I, so I walked over and grabbed the book from by the wall and went back to sit down. Key-hyung pulled his chair so he could sit next to me and we continued looking in the book, trying to decipher exactly what the previous text had said about us escaping.

“Hey, I should try and do something like you did yesterday, that was really cool!” Key-hyung said, and he looked excited too. I laughed at him and handed him the book. He flipped a few pages, trying to find something simple. He placed the book on the table and recited what the book said, trying to make one of the plates levitate. I laughed as it didn’t work. He looked frustrated and I laughed harder when he tried again.

“Why isn’t it working? That’s so not fair, you can do cool magic stuff, but I can’t,” he handed the book back at me.

“It’s only cause I’m cooler than you hyung. Sorry, it’s not my fault,” I said, laughing again.

“Oh shut up, now I get to order you around and make you do cool stuff for me,” he said, laughing with me.

“But don’t you think that’s weird? That I can do magic and you can’t?” I said after we were done laughing.

“It is, but I’m sure we’ll see something about it in this book.”

We continued looking in the book until we found a page that said, “Acquiring the Power of Magic and the Dark Arts” It talked a lot about the “first possessors of magic” and the “history of the pure magic families” and history and crap like that, so I just skipped through that stuff.

“Taemin, that stuff could be important, why are you skipping through?”

“But hyung, you know I hate history, and it’s boring! Here, you read it,” I said, handing the book to him. He read through the whole page, which took forever.

“Oh, that makes sense. It only works for you because Kai must have given part of his magic to you. It says that magic can be transferred to a mortal through an object that is given by a member of one of the pure magic families. Kai must be part of a pure magic family, but I don’t know what he gave you that has the magic effect on you. Maybe it’s that locket you’re wearing?” he said, pointing to my neck. I looked down and saw the locket that Jongin gave me yesterday. ‘I thought I threw this?’

“I thought you threw that?” Key-hyung said as if he read my mind.

“I did, I don’t know why it’s here,” I tried taking it off, but it was stuck. I gave up and sighed, slouching in my chair.

“It must be attached to you. Don’t be sad though, you have magic, how cool is that? You can use it to get us out of here, and use it for other awesome stuff too! Why are you upset?” He asked, moving closer to me and putting his hand on my shoulder.

“I don’t like wearing this. It just reminds me of him and how he hurt me. I never wanted that to happen. I wanted us to always be friends and now I don’t know if I can trust him again like before.”

“Taemin, I can’t guarantee that when we get out of here, everything will be the same, and I don’t know Kai as well as you, but I do know that he won’t just let things be how they are now. If he has any sanity left, he will do anything and everything to make it right. But don’t forgive him too soon, if you weren’t “cooler than me” and he didn’t give you this magical ability, I wouldn’t be able to walk. So cheer up, okay?” He said, patting me on the back.

“I guess you’re right.”

“Of course I’m right. I’m the Almighty, when have I not been right?” he said, laughing. I laughed too.

“I can just put it in my shirt so I’m not reminded of it,” I put the locket under my shirt and out of sight, then I took the book back from Key-hyung.

“We should keep trying to figure out more about what the book said about getting out of here. It said something about “lure” right? What does that mean?”

“I’m not sure, I’ll try to find something.”

We looked in the book for what felt like hours, but we had no way of telling because there was no clock or windows to see if it was day or night.

“Damnit!” Key randomly yelled.

“What is it Key-hyung?”

“I just realized that today is me and Jjong’s two year anniversary,” he said, hanging his head, “He’s probably wondering where we are right now. I wonder if he’s looking for us. I miss him so much already, I’ve never been away from him for this long, at least not since Jonghyun went on vacation with his parents over summer. That was torture.”

“Oh my gosh!”

“Taemin, it’s fine, I’m sorry I brought it up. But your English is so adorable!”

“No, hyung I found something!” I yelled. He looked up and at the book.

Lure

“Lure is the easiest method when trying to find a mortal to help you escape the trap spell. Once you have found a mortal who feels alone, use something of your past that can relate to their feelings to draw them in. If you succeed in drawing them in, reveal yourself to them in spirit, but for the spell to be completed, they must find you.”

“Why is this all so complicated?” I said and hit my head on the table.

 

A/N: Hello everyone, sorry for not updating in a while, but I'm back! Thanks to those of you who are reading and I should put the next chapter up soon. ^^