prologue

The 13th Hollow

TAYLOR SWIFT-   SAFE AND SOUND


Ahri opened her eyes slowly temporary blinded by the now unfamiliar white light that shone through the curtains of the room. Her vision was blurry, which prevented her from seeing the faces of the people that surrounded the bed she was lying on. She heard gasps filling the air as her eyes finally opened completely, but her vision was still failing her.  

“Ahri”, she heard a familiar voice questioning her, filled with concern.

She almost recognized the voice immediately, “Mom?” She blinked twice, her eyes now fully adjusted to light that was once blinding and attempted to sit up when she realized that something was preventing her. “What’s this? What happened”, she asked referring to her leg that was in a cast and elevated. Her hands touched the brace that was wrapped around her neck.

Her eyes filled with confusion and worry as she stared at her mom waiting for a reply. “You got into an accident, the road was slippery and—”

“I almost died”, she said in a hushed tone cutting off her mom. The woman got teary and just nodded.

“But you’re okay now sweetheart”, she ran her shaky hand through the younger one’s hair nodding continuously, “You’re okay now, you’re okay”. Her words were genuine but Ahri was only thinking about the accident, trying to recall what happened but it was if they was something stopping her from. She remembered nothing of the accident.

Letting out a heavy sigh she asked nervously, “Was I with anyone?” Her mom seemed hesitant, confused even. “Was I driving?” Ahri had all these questions she wanted to ask her mom. How long was she asleep? How bad was she hurt? Where is dad and Jaehyun?

“No, you weren’t. Hana was”, a small sob escaped her mother’s lips.

She was staring at the woman, worried. “Why are you—”, she cut her self-off with her thought No, she isn’t, she can’t be. “Hana is alive, right?” There was no reply from her mother and so she asked again with a greater strength, “Right?”

“Mhm, she is.”

“Then why are you crying?” That was a pretty dumb question, considering she being aware of her sensitive her mother is when it comes to basically everything in life, including death.

“She was in a surgery Ahri, you were okay just a few broken bones. But she had more than just a few broken bones. Although they didn’t have any problems in the surgery she still hasn’t woken up and might not for a while.”

“Where is she?”

“They have her stabilized in another room". Ahri nodded slowly and averted her gaze from her mother to the window. "Jaehyun and your dad, should come soon, they had to go home."

▣     ◬     ▣

It turns out that Ahri had been out for two days, with a broken right foot and her neck injured. Although Hana’s case was much severe everybody was convinced that she wasn’t going to bite it early.

It’s been a month, one week and two days since the accident and it was Ahri’s last day at the hospital since she was being released. She sat down on the chair besides Hana’s bed side and rested her crutches down on the floor.

She was hesitant to touch her best friend, but she looked so helpless and alone and sick, so she did anyways and held the other’s girl hand. A temporary shiver ran through Ahri’s body as her skin connected with that of her best friend’s.

They were driving, Hana in the driver’s seat and Ahri in the passenger’s. Listening and singing to their favorite song, Soul Star’s Only One for Me; the sound of laughter filled the air in the car. Hana’s head turned to look at Ahri, who was singing happily. Then it happened, a shout escaped from Ahri’s mouth as the car swerved off the road.

Her eyes opened quickly as soon as the vision ended, pulling her hand away from Hana’s a sense of panic arose in her chest.  It happened again. “God, what the hell is wrong with me”, she raised her voice and crazily ran her hand through her hair.

Ever since that day when she woke up she has been experiences; whenever she touches someone or something she always saw an image, a vision, a something which always included them in it. Sometimes she would even hear people talk, but their mouths weren’t moving and when she would reply they act like they didn’t say anything at all.

She had convinced herself that she too had received a decent amount of trauma to her head. Talking to herself? Moving visual images? There could only be one explanation.

She was insane.

Ahri continued to stare at her best friend, tears welling up in her eyes.