The First of December

Snow Flower
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

On the first until the 31st of December, there would always be this guy waiting for someone. He would sit on one of the benches at this one particular park every year on December from 6 at night until at exactly midnight before he leaves. When asked who was he waiting for, it would always be the same answer.

"I'm waiting for the love of my life."

The weird thing though, was that the person who he claims was the "love of his life" never shows up. Two Decembers have passed already and I have never seen her face even once. Another weird thing is that he spends the whole December waiting for someone at the exact same time everyday. If you're waiting for someone, shouldn't it be just one day or so? Although he was just a stranger I pass by every day on December when I go to school, I couldn't help but be so interested in him. 

 

"Hana, do you want to join us today? We're going to the karaoke," Ara, my friend, asked as we were packing up our stuff. The dismissal bell rang at that moment and students cheered in joy while rushing towards the door, eager to go home. 

I quickly shoved the homework assignment in my backpack and zipped it up. "Nah I'll pass," I said as I stood up and walked past her.

"Alright see you later then!" Ara hollered.

I quickly made my way outside of school and walked as fast as I could. Today is the first of December and he should be there. On the first of December, he would wait from 12 in the afternoon until midnight. Though, on other days it would be usually from 6 at night until midnight. I was so excited to see him, though, I didn't know why. He is just a stranger I see for a month straight each year and that was it. 

I turned the corner and the park was now in sight. I slowed down my pace when I crossed the street but speed up once again as soon as I saw the familiar figure and red hair sitting on the same bench as he did last December.

As expected, he did not change at all.

I rolled my eyes and let out a groan when I noticed kids were running all over the place. I hated kids a lot. I just couldn't stand being near one. I let out a sigh as I walked past them. Just when I almost got close to him, a bunch of guys almost ran me over with their skateboards. I mentally cursed at them but stopped when one of them came over and apologized.

"I'm sorry," the guy said in English. 

I furrowed my eyebrows. Is he a foreigner? Well he looked Korean and my english skills is crap so I just replied in Korean. "It's okay."

The guy's eyes rounded in surprise. "Y-you know korean?"

What was that supposed to mean? Of course I know korean. What do I look like to you? "Yeah I do. I am Korean after all," I said, hoping that didn't sound anywhere close to sarcasm. 

His other friends came over and pulled him away. "What are you doing?" a guy with pink hair in the front asked.

"Well whatever. I gotta get going now," I announced. I did not know why I had to tell them but I just did anyway. Just when I was about to walk away, from the corner of my eyes, I saw the redheaded guy that I've kept my eyes on making his way over to us. That's when I realized they were probably his friends. "Well now I seriously need to get going."

I started walking away as fast as I could, obviously pissed over the fact that I missed my chance to talk to him today.

 

"I'm back," I said as soon as I stepped in the house. The silence greeted me back. 

I took off my shoes and threw it on the floor. I took off my socks and put it in the dirty socks basket. As soon as that was over, I made my way over to the tv so watch the weather broadcast.

"Today will be the coldest day of the week. It will be over -22 degrees tonight and the warmest will be -10." the weather lady said. "Moving on.."

"-22 degrees? That's so cold," I said as I looked outside my window. The wind was so strong that I can hear it from inside my house. "He still must be out th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter