Just Tonight

Love Alone On Rainy Days

Ki Kwang brought Min home when the sun was about to set. Ki Kwang set up the barbeque pit outside and professionally took out the stuff needed and started to heat up the charcoal. Min just stood behind him, admiring him doing all the work while she was sipping her cup of coffee. Ki Kwang could feel her stares behind him. He was trying to light up the match when he asked, “Yes, may I help you, miss?”

 

“I didn’t know you know such things like… cooking your own food.”

 

Ki Kwang slightly turned his head to show acknowledgement, “Well, there are a lot of things you don’t know about me. You should spend some time knowing me better.”

 

She rolled her eyes and sipped her coffee again, “I’ll pass.”

 

She looked out and realised the house wasn’t surrounded by trees. She could see the sky clearly. The sky was clear today – without clouds. She stared at the sun while squinting her eyes. “The sunset is beautiful,” She commented.

 

Ki Kwang heard her clearly. “Sunset?”

 

“Yeah,” She pointed out at the sun which was setting so nicely on the horizon, “The sun is setting. The sunset here has to be the most beautiful sight I ever seen.”

 

Ki Kwang stood next to her, leaving his pit away for a moment and stared out with her, “Really? The sunset has always been like this. It’s nothing special.”

 

“That’s because you never stop and look at the surroundings around you. Look at how the sun sets. It reminds me how one day has passed again and tomorrow’s another brand new day.” She stated.

 

Ki Kwang admired the sun. Yes, she was absolutely right. He never stopped around to look around him. He was so coped up with his superstar life and he never realised how beautiful life really was. He smiled as he was inspired by Min, “Yes, maybe you’re right. The sunset is beautiful here.”

 

“You should really start cooking, I’m getting hungry.”

 

“Pig.”

 

Ki Kwang obediently went back to start the fire so that he could cook. He started the fire in no time and Min took up tongs to place a meat on the pit. Ki Kwang gawked at her with confusion. Min stared back and answered his question in his head, “I’m helping you with the cooking so we can eat faster!”

 

He was debating in his mind whether to start another tiff with her but he gave up after seeing her flushed cheeks from the heat impending from the pit. He just smiled at her and placed the meat to cook the food.

 

They sat down outside the house, eating the barbequed food they had cooked earlier on. Min’s appetite was so much better from lunch. Ki Kwang was satisfied. He wasn’t sure whether he had made Min happier but she seemed happier than yesterday night. She was so distraught yesterday that it scared him. To witness her smile again was comforting. Suddenly, Min’s phone rang. It was the eleventh time it rang, Ki Kwang was counting.

 

Min just stared at her phone again, wondering whether to pick it up. Ki Kwang grabbed hold of her phone and saw the caller ID. As expected, Hong Ki was on it. Ki Kwang switched off the phone and placed it in his pocket. “Forget about him. At least for now.” Ki Kwang said firmly.

 

“I’m trying. I’m trying.” Min sobbed silently.

 

She’s not okay. She’s not happy. Ki Kwang overestimated his abilities. He thought he could make any girl happy – including Min. After all, he was a girl-magnet. Any girl who was with him was always happy after their dates but not Min. She was not like the other girls. She’s unusually faithful to her guys – even those jerks like Hong Ki.

 

Ki Kwang went over behind her. She was still sitting on her chair, tensed and quiet. Without a thought, Ki Kwang lowered his body and gave her a back hug. He snuggled himself and placed his head on her shoulder. Min responded by holding onto his arms which were in front of her and cried.

 

“Just let it all out, Min. Just let it all out.” Ki Kwang muttered gently in her ears.

 

“Why did he change? I miss the old him. I miss him now. I miss him a lot. I want to forgive him but if I do, I cannot forgive myself. Why did he become like this? It hurts so much. It hurts so badly. I really love him.” Min cried.

 

Ki Kwang’s heart was hurt too, seeing Min like that. Min was confessing her love for Hong Ki in front of him. All he wanted was her to be happy again. He wanted Min to be stubborn and strong-minded, just like how she was before the whole drama began. He wanted Min to bicker with him over the slightest things.

 

“Forgive him. Min, I know you want to. Just forgive him.” Ki Kwang blurted out the words reluctantly.

 

He knew he didn’t want Min to forgive him so easily but since breaking up was so hard for her and being with Hong Ki made her happy, he would rather Min to go back to him.

 

Min turned around and Ki Kwang loosened his hug from her. Min hesitated in front of him and opened to talk, “But…”

 

Ki Kwang held on to her shoulders and gazed into her eyes, “If you still love him, forgive him then.”

 

“Do you think I’m weak if I really forgive him?”

 

“No,” Ki Kwang said, “In fact, you’re the strongest woman I ever seen in my life. I’ll respect your decision no matter what.”

 

She just nodded. He gave her back her phone and she took it. Ki Kwang placed his hands in his pocket and told her calmly, “Call him. Call him before I change my mind.”

 

Please don’t call him, don’t call him, don’t forgive him, Ki Kwang thought in his head. Min stared at her phone and turned it on. Ki Kwang exhaled in disappointment but hid his expression away from her. He walked away from her and was going to get in the house.

 

“Gi Kwang-sshi!”

 

He was still facing the door, not looking at her, “Yes?”

 

“Thank you.”

 

“It’s going to rain soon; don’t stay out for too long.”

 

He forced a smile to himself and walked into the house.

 

Min called Hong Ki. Apparently, Hong Ki kept apologising over the phone. He sounded very sorry towards Min about his actions. Min was crying over the phone again. Hong Ki sobbed as well. Min said that she was fine but she never mentioned she was with Ki Kwang. She just told Hong Ki she would be back the next day.

 

After an hour, Min went up to see Ki Kwang preparing the bed for her. Ki Kwang turned around to see Min’s face getting better. “Looks like you made up with him,” Ki Kwang interpreted.

 

She just smiled. It was still hard for Ki Kwang to mention his darn name. Ki Kwang admitted he was a jerk but Hong Ki was worse. He’s worse than a beast to attempt to use violence against a woman. The sky was gloomy again with signs of rain coming.

 

Min was startled when the sky showed the presence of lightning. Ki Kwang looked out at the sky and turned to look at her hesitantly. “Do you need me to… stay beside you tonight?” Ki Kwang slurred the words out; after all she’s attached again.

 

After considering for a really long time, Min just said, “Just tonight.”

 

Ki Kwang crept into the bed after switching off the lights and asked Min to come over beside him. They had a small gap between each other. It was awkward, more awkward than yesterday night. Their eyes were still fully open as they looked up at the ceiling.

 

“Ki Kwang-sshi.”

 

Ki Kwang’s ears perked up as he realised Min wasn’t sleeping yet.

 

“Actually, you’re not really that bad of a person.”

 

Ki Kwang smirked, “Glad you realised.”

 

“Then why did you treat me so strangely the first time we met?” Min asked carefully.

 

“Oh!” Ki Kwang was not expecting that at all.

 

“Well?” She was still waiting for an answer.

 

“You look like a girl I could tease just for the fun of it,” Ki Kwang said honestly, “But obviously I was wrong. I swear I thought I needed to amputate my foot after you stomp on it.”

 

“Seriously?”

 

“Well, I just want to see how many girls would actually fall for me,” Ki Kwang said, “You’re the only exception.”

 

Min laughed out loud and stated, “My impression of you was terribly ugly, to be honest.”

 

Ki Kwang just laughed along with her.

 

“Ki Kwang-sshi…” She continued without laughters, “Let’s be friends from now on, shall we?”

 

Ki Kwang stopped laughing, not even smiling. He didn’t know whether it was a good thing or not. He had mixed feelings from her questions. Did he really want to just remain as friends?

 

He tossed and turned to sleep on his side, not facing Min and muttered the words, “Sure, let’s be friends. Goodnight, Min.”

 

With that, a tear escaped through his closed eye.