The Coffee Boy

Café on the Block

    When Kai got out of the shower, Taemin ran over to Kai and revealed Kai's golden pendant in his hands. 

    "Did you go through my clothes?" Kai angrily yelled at Taemin. 

    "Oh no. Why would I do such a thing!" Taemin replied. 

    "A boy came over saying that you left this in the front of their coffee shop." Taemin said defending himself in determined voice.

    As quickly as he had gotten angry at Taemin without reason, Kai's face turned into embrassement. He knew Taemin would never go into his clothes without his premission.

   "I'm sorry. I can't believe I would lose this. You know how important it is to me." Kai said in a apologetic tone.

   Kai took his pendant back and returned to his room. He walked over to the slightly tanned cabinet and drew open the top drawer, placing the pendant beneath a neat stack of clothes. As he was walking over to his bed, he saw a boy through the window walking out of the campus. It was dark outside and Kai could only make out a couple of the boy's features. He was medium height, 5"6' to 5"7', a pale face, and hazelnut brown hair. Kai keep staring at him until he was out of sight. He felt something strange about the boy, there was this mysterious aura about the him, but he couldn't explain what this feeling was. 

    Kai walked over to his bed and laid down, pulling his blanket up to his head. The warmth of the blanket felt so comforting to him. As he was trying to sleep, an image of the coffee shop resurfaced in his mind. He remember the bitter of aroma of coffee coming out of the shop and how elegant it looked inside. The walls had a rustic wood look to them, mabye mahogony or pine? He remember all the smiling people talking to their friends. It seemed as though the coffee shop was moving at its own time, uneffected by the movements of the outside world. Kai thought to himself that mabye he would revisit the shop, to get the entire feeling of the place. And at that moment he remembered the boy. The boy that was walking out of the campus was the same one from the coffee shop. He must have brought the pendent to his dormitory after Kai ran away.  Kai thought mabye he should go and say thanks. But then.

    "Wait, why am I think about this guy? I don't have anything to do with him." Kai thought to himself.

   "But I think I should at least go to say my gratitudes for bringing back the pendant." Kai said in a hush voiced to himself. Making it seems as though saying it out loud would have a more meaing full feel. 

     Kai closed his eyes and tired to forget everything that happened to him today. Nothing was going right for him.

    Kai woked up to a bright beam of sunlight and he covered his face in agony. He streched over to get his phone and checked the time. 11:00 a.m.! He was late to his first class by thirty minutes and he still wasn't ready at all. His alarm was set for 8:00 a.m. so he could have enough time to finish his homework. Now he's late and his homework wasn't finish. He knew he was going to get a lecture from his professor and this was probably going to be reported to his father. His father was a strict and defiant man. He was the man of the house and his word goes. His father pushed Kai to become the most perfect person by any means. He was in this university learning to become a doctor because of his father. Kai, himself, wanted to listen to his father, even if it meant going agaisnt his personal choices. He wanted his father to be proud of him and for him to be something of worth to his family. But there were times when Kai thought to himself that mabye he was not going on the right path. Just mabye what he was doing would not help him or his family by any means.  

He pushed the blanket off of him and ran feverously to the bathroom. There was no time to lose. He entered the bathroom and saw Taemin on the toilet and he could see Taemin expression turn to horror as he entered, but there was no time for politeness, he need to get ready as fast as he could.

    Taemin covered up his privates and said in shock. "Holy crap! What the heck are you doing.? Do you not see me half right now!"

   "What? Me seeing your is not a bigger problem then me being late. You know I have class at 10:30 and you didn't wake me up?" Kai answered back sarcasticly.

   "Um well you see. I thought since you hadn't woke up by 9 , that you talked with you teachers or something. How the heck was I suppose to know?" Taemin answered back with a innocent in his face that Kai could not get angry at.

  "Whatever." Kai said in absolute submission to Taemin's face.

    After class, Kai was summoned to the principal office to discuss his tardiness for his first class. 

   "Mr. Kim, you do know that we have a zero tolerance tardiness policy, correct?" The principal said in a every so pedantic voice.

    "Yes sir, I do know of that rule. I am very sorry for any problems that might have arose due to my small absent in the beginning of the class. It will never happen again." Kai said as his face was turned to the ground with a polite tone.

    The principal replied looking out to the window and showing an over reaching amount of fake dignity "I do hope that this will not be a reoccuring issue, because I do believe that you are an embodiment to what this school stands for. Elegance, perfection, and studious. I do hope that this will be our last encounter with this particular issue." 

   "However, due to my underlying principal, I will have to inform your father of your regretful decisions. I hope you do understand." He told me with a condescending look.

  "Yes, of course." Kai replied without emtions, as though it was something uttered out of him routinely, like a robot.

   Kai left the principal's office after he was dismissed and now his day was half free and half homework. As he was walking back to his dormitory, he remeber that last night he was thinking of going back to the coffee shop to thanks the boy. He didn't know what he would say to the boy. It would be awkward for him to just come and leave. But even so, he turned around and started sprinting to the coffee shop. The wind pushed his hair back in a swift motion and Kai could feel the breeze of the cold winter air on his face. As he was nearing the end of the campus he saw Taemin. Taemin was carrying his books neatly wrapped around his arms and sautering back to their dormitory. Taemin caught the sight of Kai running and yelled:

   "Hey, where are you going? Are you not coming back to the dorm? We have a lot of homework today."

   "Yeah I'll be right there. I have to go thanks that boy from the coffee shop who brought back my pendant." Kai yelled back to Taemin

   And before Taemin could reply Kai was already to far away for anything to be audiable from Taemin's distance. 

  When Kai finally arrived at the coffee shop, he got his first sight of the shop in broad daylight. The coffee shop's name was Cafe du lait. A very pretencious name Kai thought to himself. Kai reached out to the doorknob but for some reason he saw his hands shaking. Why were his hands shaking? It was like he was meeting up with his girlfriend or something. There was nothing to be nervous about. Kai looked through the mirrow and could see his own reflection. He was sweating possibly from running, but there was also this minute feeling that he was sweating because of his nervousness to meet the boy. Kai took his left hand to stead his other hand and opened the door. As he opened the door, he could see infront of him the boy talking to customers. He placed a foot in the Cafe du lait and said:

   "Hello?"