The First Encounter

Café on the Block

    Snow began to fall from the dark and lonely night, and soon the street was covered with a thin layer of pearly white snow. Kai was not a winter man. He hated the cold. But there was essence about this snow that gave him a warm sensation. It was comforting to Kai to see something so beautiful on a plain night by himself. But the cheerful laughter of couples didn't help him feel better as he walked by himself through the street of the campus. As he walked and spinning a gold pendant on his finger, he thought to himself that everybody had something that gave them a purpose and Kai did not see his purpose. He wanted something in his life that could fill the empty void in him. He wanted a moment in his day where all he could do was forget about the tedious life of a university student and be free. But what could he do when he didn't even know what he wanted. 

    As he keep walking, Kai accidently tripped on a piece of rock hidden beneath the snow. He didn't have enough time to regain his balance and landed first on to the pavement. The pain slowly creeped up through his body and his became numb. But as he started to get up, he saw at the edge of his eye a bright twinkle of light. He turned his head and immediately the light pouring out of the building draped his face in an fascinating manner. He slowly placed one foot back on the ground to regain his balance and got up quickly as he could to avoid the pain from the fall. He started to approach the glistening window closer and closer and soon his hands were on the cold transparent glass. His eyes peered through the window to get every single glimspe of what wonders this building holds that it was able to pull him in so urgently.

    It was a café. People were sitting with their friends leisurely drinking handmade coffee. The barista was making coffee with an excited smile on his face as though as it seemed that he had no other worries in the world. The café's door opened and kai's spectacle was interruped.

A pale and handsome young man appeared out of the door and asked Kai"Is there something I can help you with?"

Kai flush red face replied "Oh no, I'm so sorry to have disrupted your work, please excuse me."

Kai quickly turned around and started to sprint back to his dormitory.

    Kai took out his keys and opened the door into the dorm. His friend Taemin came running out of his room and leaped onto Kai and enthusiastically yelled at him "Where the hell have you been? I was worried about you." "Why the heck are you worrying about me? I should be the one worried leaving you here by yourself." replied Kai. Taemin started to smile. "So you do think about me?" Taemin said happily. Taemin is Kai's best friend. The two had known each other since they were little. Kai had come from a rich family and Kai was spolied with every desire he had ever wanted. But Taemin unfortunately did not come from the same social ladder. But these two had a connection that could not be broken. These two meet when Kai unexpectedly saw Taemin being bullied by bigger and presumably uglier looking boys. Kai couldn't stand there watching a fight and not intrevene. Kai believed that he had to help the kid out. Even kids know the power of money. All Kai had to do was call out his family name and yell at the boys if their family wanted to mess with his family. The boys immediately ran away. Ever since then, these two have been inseparable.

    Taemin pulled Kai by his sleeve and brought him over to the couch. "Is there something wrong?" Taemin asked with a concerned face. "No, it's nothing. Today has just been really tiring." Kai replied, sympathic for Taemin's concern. "Ok then. Since your tired, go and take a shower and I will have some ramen ready for us to eat when you're done." "Ok, thanks Taemin." Kai sat up and started heading towards the bathroom. He took off his shirt revealing his dark, lean, and defined muscles. He turned his backs towards the mirror and saw a bruise on his back. "Oh, this is going to need sometime." As he took the rest of his clothes off and entered into the shower, the café came back into his mind. The water rushed down his body, not leaving one piece of him untouched. He began to wonder what was it about the café that pulled him in. There was never such a thing other than Taemin. But there was an aura about the place that he could not resist. Something was telling him to come in and enjoy what it had to offer. But Kai shrugged it off as excitement at the moment. But just as he was ridding of himself of being affliated with a café, the noise of a doorbell echoed throughout the dorm.