03. Proposal

Derp's Fairy Tale: Ambivalence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sunrise was approaching yet Yoona laid wide awake in her bed. Chanyeol’s words had struck a chord. She’s attempted dieting plenty of times, none of which worked out obviously. Today’s not the right day to start, I worked out today so I can afford to splurge, I ate today so I’ll start dieting tomorrow, what could a little cookie do to her weight, those were some of the excuses she came up with to avoid dieting and working out. And of course her all time favorite excuse, what’s the meaning of life if you have to starve yourself?

He did bring up a good point though. In less than three months she was going to be going to at a new school. It would be a new start, shouldn’t she at least try to change the way she wanted to look?

Yoona turned and groaned into the pillow. What’s the point of living if you’re always going to be ugly and fat? Why did dieting have to be so hard? If only she could have stopped eating when she was still skinny...She was spirling again, questioning all the things she could control. And she had Chanyeol to thank for that.

Stop. He was only trying to be nice by solving her problem. Was he really? His question wasn’t exactly nice or mean, it seemed more like out of curiosity. And the domino effect of it was her questioning her life. If he’s so interested, she wonders if he’ll help? He was already working out so she could just tag along. Studies of weight loss did show better results when doing it with it a buddy. They had a nice conversation but would she go as far as saying they were friends? What would he stand to benefit? Money, the one thing most people lacked and wouldn’t be able to say no to. As Yoona thought of different ways of approaching him with the proposal, she fell into a deep sleep.

~*~

At a quarter past ten, Yoona’s woken up by a churning of the stomach. Cream cheese, bagel, frosted flakes, eggs and bacon...she listed all the food she could eat, her favorite ritual in the morning, making herself even more hungry. Some omelet and sausage sounded really good too and some of that delicious peanut butter cookies Mrs. Kim made yesterday. Swallowing, Yoona slipped out of bed, ready and excited for breakfast until she caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror. The ecstatic smile turns into a somber scowl. What happened to the plans of died she made hours ago? Was her resolve so easy to deteriorate?

Her hands lifted up the pajama top and pinched at her love handles. God, she practically had a tire around her waist. Not to mention her arms were pudgy and floppy with no form like an old lady. And her thighs, don’t even get her started on them. she hated looking at them. The were like two thick tree stumps. She needed the diet. As soon as possible. She should probably skip breakfast but she was hungry, maybe just a bite of a sausage or two. No, no, no, I need something healthy. Bitter that she would no longer be able to eat the comfort foods she originally listed, Yoona walked into her bathroom grudgingly.

“You look like you didn’t have a good night sleep.” Chanyeol greeted her at the counter.

Yoona yawned in response. “I didn’t, I stayed up all last night, thinking about what you said.”

Oh crap. Chanyeol froze in mid-bite of his creamy chocolate doughnut. Hadn’t they just gotten to be on okay terms? What did he say yesterday? When they parted ways he was fairly certain she wasn’t angry or anything. “About?” Chanyeol gulped, eyeing her cautiously.

So he really hadn’t put much thought into the questioning. “Dieting.” She moved closer to the table, catching a glance of the box full of doughnuts.

“Oh.” He replied and started chewing again. “Oh.” He says again in a different tone. “I didn’t mean anything by what I said yesterday. If you’re happy with the way you are then you should stay that way. There’s nothing wrong with being…” he trailed off for lack of a better word. “I mean beauty shouldn’t be just based on appearances-”

“But I do want to change.” She interrupted. “I think about dieting way more than you probably think...It’s just hard to stick with.” The doe-eyed girl paused wondering if she should tell him about her proposal. “Which is why I was wondering if you’d be interested in helping me.” There she said it. She was already on the touchy subject. If worse comes to worst, she’ll just laugh it off as a joke.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter