The After Party

love shouldn't be this hard

Tom, our manager and I were now on our way to central Seoul where the party was taking place. We were a little late due to Tom taking so long to decide what to wear.

'Aishh, you two are always making us late!' Staff at SM always jokingly said our manager hyung, Jaeho, had the hardest job of them all, keeping tom and I from getting into trouble. He was more like a brother than a manger, we had been through so much together.

'Leave me out of this hyung, it was the wannabe fashionista over here that couldn't decided what to wear. Who are you trying to impress anyway?' I said jokingly.

'Is it that obvious? Damn, I was trying to play it cool...'

'I was only joking, wait... you're actually trying to impress someone? Who!?'

All I could think was: please not Taeyeon, please not Taeyeon.

Jaeho interrupted; 'You should stay away from her Tom, she trouble.'

'I've always been into bad girls.' He winked.

I was still confused. 'Who the hell are you talking about?'

'Man, you're slow. Hyuna obviously!' Jaeho barked. Oh thank god it wasn't Taeyeon.

Tom hit Jaeho playfully 'YAH!'

'Tom, why didn't you tell me?'

'I thought you already knew but didn't mention it! Plus, how could I tell you the girl you're dancing with is someone I liked!'

I suddenly felt bad, it must have been torture for him to watch me dance so intimately with Hyuna, like it was for me to watch Taeyeon and Jimin.

'Anyway, tonight's the night I make my move. But I'm gunna need a couple of drinks in me first.' Manager hyuna didn't seem impressed, giving Tom a warning look.

'You better not cause any trouble tonight Tom, that the last thing we all need when a debut is so close. That goes for you too Bobby.'

We arrived at the event soon after. Luckily because we were late, the large crowd of fans that had somehow found out about the after-party had become a lot smaller since TaeTiSeo had entered. We entered a large club full of staff, managers and other related people. We headed to the bar and lost Jaeho in the process. Suddenly, Tom grabbed my shoulder.

'Look, there's Hyuna!' She was dancing in the middle of the club, surrounded by other backup dancers. 'Get me a drink Tom, I'll meet you on the dance floor!' He then darted in the direction of Hyuna, I only seen the back of his head through the cramped dance floor.

I collected our drinks and delicately tried to make it to Tom without spilling them everywhere. I was greeted by two different hands reaching for the drinks. One was Toms and one was Hyunas.

'Aww how sweet, thanks for the drink Bobo!' Hyuna nearly finished my drink in one gulp.

'Errr,,, no problem.' Tom giggled as I stood there in defeat. Hyuna had obviously had a few drinks by this point as she was swaying more than dancing.

I joined in dancing but was focused on other things. We had been at the party for nearly half an hour now and I still hadn't seen Taeyeon. As my eyes continued to scan the room for any signs of her, I overheard some of the staff who had been at the filming talking.

'It too cramped down here! Why don't we go up there, to the balcony?' I turned as he gestured behind me, there was a second floor to this club that overlooked the dance floor.

'We can't, that where TaeTiSeo is, they won't just let anyone up there.'

Finally, I thought, that's where she will be. Hyuna must have seen me looking up as she interputed.

'Want to go to the second floor Bobby? I'll take you up.' She grabbed my wrist and began leading me towards the stairs.

'Yah, I'm coming to!' Tom chimed in.

'It's your turn to buy the drinks oppa! We'll meet you up there. ' Looking defeated, Tom turned towards the bar, and we continued upstairs.

We reached the top of the stairs after passing the security blocking the way. Finally, there she was. Sat in a booth surrounded by Tiffany, Seohyun and some managers. She happily chatted, her smile brightened the dark club.

I couldn't help but stare, she looked amazing. I smiled shyly, as if not trying get caught. Hyuna started talking to some friends, I pretended to be interested in the conversation but she had my full attention.

Unfortunately my loving gaze was suddenly no more as Jimin came into view. He sat next to Taeyeon, her bare legs were touching his leg. He's arm creped around her back and slowly down until I couldn't see it anymore, my expression darkened. They're talking turned into whispering as Jimin leaned into her ear. I tried to gauge Taeyeons expression to see if she was enjoying it, but she didn't seem to mind either way. She smiled weakly.

I looked away hurt. Suddenly, I was pulled towards a corridor near the end of the room. Hyuna had become bored with the conversation and pulled me away.

'Bobby...'

I looked up towards Hyuna, still with the picture of Jimin all over Taeyeon in my head.

'Do you like me?' I looked back at her, confused. I had no idea where this came from.

'What, I mean sure, but not...'

I was interrupted by her lips against mine. She pushed forward as if to invite me to kiss her back. I leaned my head back slightly so we were not longer touching.

'I can't..' I said quietly.

'Why?' She said annoyed and confused. She obviously wasn't used to being turned down.

There was so many reasons she and I couldn't happen; the fact I would be betraying my best friend, the fact I don't like her like that and the fact I am in love with some else even if it is an unrequited love.

'I'm sorry, it's just...' I then felt a sharp stinging on my cheek. She had slapped me. She then proceeded to storm off shouting 'jerk' before she got to the door. I was left alone in the corridor.

I tried to gather my thoughts as I headed back to the second floor. As I entered, I saw the back of small figure walking away from me, at first I thought it was Hyuna but then I realised who it was.

'Taeyeon!'

There was no response at first, she carried on until she reached her table and sat back down. I tried to start a conversation but Tiffany spoke first.

'Bobby, there you are! Where have you been all night, this one was looking for you.' She gestured toward Taeyeon. Wait, Taeyeon was looking for me?

Taeyeon smiled awkwardly but avoided looking at me.

'Come, sit down.' Seohyun pointed to the free seat next to Taeyeon, until Taeyeon jumped up as if flustered.

'I need some air, I won't be too long.' She headed towards the outside balcony that overlooked Seoul.

Tiffany, Seohyun and I shared confused and worried looks. It was like she was trying to avoid me.

'I'll go check on her.' I headed to the balcony.

I got to the balcony to find a lone Taeyeon, leaning on the glass side looking out to Seoul.

'Hey Tae'

She turned slightly, then looked back over the side.

'Hey'

'Are you okay...' She answered fast and cold.

'I'm fine.'

There was silence. I didn't know what to do or say. I'd never felt so distant from her. I was confused and frustrated.

'Well maybe I should go get Jimin, maybe you'll tell him what's really wrong.' That was the only thing I could think of, that it wasn't me she wanted. She turned to face me with a puzzled look on her face.

'Jimin... why would I want...'

'There's no need to explain, I've seen the way you two are together. His tongue was practically down your ear before, clearly you'd rather have him here.'

'Jimin's just a friend Bobby, not that it's any of your business. Why do you care anyway? Wouldn't you rather be grinding up again that backup dancer friend of yours or sticking your tongue down her neck behind closed doors!'

My eyes widen in shock. How could she have known...

'I came looking for you, and I saw you with her. So don't act all innocent Bobby.'

'That wasn't what it looked like! She kissed me, I never kissed her back...'

'It doesn't even matter, look, none of this matters, let's just forget this all happened, okay?'

She began to make her way back into the club, before she could make it to the door, I grabbed her wrist.

'But it does matter to me Taeyeon! I like you okay, I hated seeing you with Jimin, and I hated that you didn't even care when I was with Hyuna! But one minute you make me feel like I'm not crazy and you could feel the same way then the next, you're acting all formal, like we're not even close friends. So what is it Taeyeon? Do you feel anything towards me, or am I crazy?'

We stared straight into each other's eyes, emotions overwhelmed us. I couldn't believe what I had just said. She paused for what felt like an eternity but you could tell by her face she was deep in thought.

'I'm sorry Bobby, I can't do this.' My heart sank. I immediately regretted my words, as if I wanted to rewind time to before I had even said them.

She went inside and left me on the balcony alone.