Rehearsals

love shouldn't be this hard

After completing hours and hours of MV rehearsals, we finally only had one final practice left before the actual filming. The video involved 6 backup dancers dancing in pairs behind TaeTiSeo.  Jimin, Tom and I were paired with three different SM dancers; Hyuna, Homin and Mohi. I had been paired with Hyuna, to the disappointment of Tom and Jimin. Hyuna was beautiful, but not in a cutesy doll sort of way, but a smoking hot and totally out of anyone's league sort of way.

The dance was very intermit and romantic. It took me a while to focus on the dancing more than Hyuna hands on my back. I nervously hovered my hands on her waist during practices, being careful not to be rude as we were hardly acquainted.

We were in the middle of practice, each pair was working together in different corners of the dance studio, tweaking out any last minute issues.

'You don't have to be so polite you know, it will look better if you're really holding me.' She grabbed my hands and placed one on her lower back and the other she entwined into her fingers, smiling teasingly as I pretended not to be flustered.

I felt eyes watching us, we both turned our heads in sync, still standing less than a centre metre apart. Stood by the door was 4 new people, a SM manager, Seohyun, Tiffany and Taeyeon.

Hyuna and I released our embrace and greeted our seniors. It was amazing to see her face to face again, I smiled widely.

'I see rehearsals are going well, the mirrors are practically steaming. Anyway, we thought since this is the last practice before the shoot, we could have a couple run-throughs with the girls here.' He signalled to TaeTiSeo. The three boys were especially excited, we shared glances and smirks.

'We'll give you a few minutes to set up.'

I begin to head over to Taeyeon, but was cut short by Jimin who had already made his way to her. They seemed like they knew each other well, they were smiling and laughing.

'Are you coming the after party Bobby?' While I was staring, Tiffany, Seohyun, Hyuna and Tom had started a conversation around me.

'Huh?' I mumbled and turned my head slowly into the conversation as if uninterested in anyone else but Taeyeon, until I realised whose words they were. Tiffany was smiling at me waiting for an answer.

'Oh sorry, an after party?' I asked confused. Tom chimed in. 'Hell yeah we are! Remember Bobo, I told you about it, management are holding an after party at that fancy skyscraper bar in Seoul!'

I nodded even though I didn't really remember him ever telling me, I guess listening isn't really my strong point.

'Well you better be on your best behaviour, we heard you two are a couple of trouble makers.' Seohyun joked.

'That was just when we were younger, we are very mature men now.' Tom smirked.

'Mature men? Wow, now that is a funny joke Thomas. If this is you two trying to be mature men, I'd hate to think how you were when you were younger.' Jimin interrupted with Taeyeon next to him. Tom got slightly embarrassed from being hassled in front of his seniors.

'Maybe we should aspire to be more like you Jimin and have no sense of humour at all.' I gave a reassuring smile at Tom, I wasn't going to let some trainee embarrass my best friend.

Everyone laughed. Hyuna put her hand on my shoulder and leaned into me while she laughed. I felt a little awkward that she was being so touchy in front of Taeyeon, I didn't want her to get the wrong idea. She just looked down seeming unfazed by Hyuna. Maybe she didn't even care? Well why would she I guess, its not like she has even show any sign of liking me more than a friend.

'Is everyone ready?' We got into positions. I started feeling nervous, this is the first time I've danced in front of my seniors. In addition, they still hadn't chosen a boy for the dance solo so I was determined to do well.

TaeTiSeo had learnt their choreography already so moved in sync at the front of the studio while the three couples were dancing in time with the music behind them. I kept stealing glances at Taeyeon, I couldn't focus on the dance. Hyuna must have been getting annoyed as she moved my face from Taeyeon's direction to hers, grabbing both my cheeks. Our faces were inches apart.

I glanced back to Taeyeon's direction and to my surprise caught her staring at me. I thought she would show some sort of annoyance or even jealousy, our flirting hasn't just been one sided right? Or was I such a fool to think she was being more than just a caring sunbae. She just carried on with the routine, showing no emotion to seeing me so close to Hyuna.

For some reason I began to get frustrated. If I saw her being so close with some guy, I would care, I would be jealous and angry. I know we both have never really dated or even got close to talking about how we felt but we were definitely more than friends. But surely if this were true she would care just a little bit? So I decided to put this to the test.

As the dance routine continued, I made more bold movements with Hyuna. I slid my hand down from her head to her neck to her back, never losing touch of her skin. I pulled her in closer so we felt as one went we moved. Hyuna seemed surprised at first but loved every minute of it after, she smiled and even teasingly laughed. Other notices our chemistry too, but not the person I wanted. She had seen how we danced but my plan had failed.

The song ended and we took a break for water and a breather. I slumped to the ground defeated.

'Dude, why didn't you tell me you had a thing for Hyuna?' Tom sat down next to me.

'What? No, it not like that...' I hit his side.

'Whatever Bobby! We all saw, if you two were any closing together you would have morphed into one person!' We laughed. I couldn't tell him the real reason, he'd think I'm an idiot. Maybe I am just a love-drunk idiot.

We practiced for a few more hours until we were all really tired. After that first dance I stopped trying so hard to get Taeyeon's attention, it clearly wasn't working. The dancers and I talked a lot to Tiffany, Seohyun and Taeyeon through-out practice. We chatted, joked and got to know each other better. Me and Taeyeon spoke briefly about life in general, just small talk to my disappointment. Not at all like we had on previous occasions or via text. It was like she was pretending they hadn't happened. It like she didn't want people to see our close friendship.

'Okay, I think we can call it a day people. Great work, see you tomorrow for the filming.' Just like that our last practice was over. TaeTiSeo left first, I tried to say a proper goodbye but she left without a word.