Work as a Team

VIXX's Space Camp

"Hongbin!" Ravi called out to Hongbin who was on his way to their next class. Hongbin turned around to the sound of his name and smiled. "Hyung! What's up?" he asked

"Listen.. I found this awesome place a little far off campus where we can see the shuttle across the river.. It's close and it looks so much better at night" Ravi explained as they walked. "Really?? That sounds cool" Hongbin smiled. "Yeah! I was planning on going to take a look, but I don't have anyone to go with me.. Wanna come with?" he asked

"Sure!"

"Awesome! Let's sneak out around 10"

Hongbin's smile dropped.. "As in 10 at night?" Hongbin asked, to which Ravi nodded. "And break curfew? I don't wanna get in trouble"

"Come on. These people are totally oblivious when it comes to this. They won't know a thing" he tried to convince Hongbin..

"Okay then.. It's gunna look cool, huh?" he nodded. "Yupp. You don't have to worry about getting caught" Ravi tried to calm his nerves..

"Okay hyung.. I trust you" Hongbin smiled

----

"Okay... A few minor touch ups should be good" Hyuk mumbled as he screwed a few more bolts into the robot he had found not only three days ago.. "But what should I name you?" he continued to talk to himself..

Just then, Hyuk's cell phone rang beside him. He picked it up to see that it was Ken. Hyuk ignored the call and continued to work.. "Something special.. I should use an R, like Ridley did..." he thought out loud.

As he screwed the last bolt in, the round-shaped robot stood itself up on skinny legs with wheels and "wheeled" around the room.. "It works" Hyuk said with a smile. 

"Hi. Can you talk?" Hyuk asked the robot.. 

"Your name is... Rovix.. And my name is Hyuk" he declared the robot's name and stated his own

"He-ll-o Hy-uk" the robot said in a monotone, robot-like voice.. "I am Ro-vixx"

Hyuk beamed and reached out to pet his new robot..

----

As Ridley brought her class of six to the new shuttle simulators, she turned around to see that one student was missing.. "Hyuk isn't here.. Does anybody know where he is?" she asked. The five boys looked around and shook their heads. "Hongbin, you're with him a lot. Do you know..?" she asked again, to which Hongbin only shook his head as he grew more anxious by the minute.. "Hm, I guess he'll miss this. I'll bring him back here, just the two of us, and he'll skip dinner" Ridley said as she climbed into the shuttle simulator. "Come with me boys.." she shouted. 

"This is the shuttle simulator.." Ridley started as Ken and N sat in front while Leo and Hongbin look at the back. "You'll be learning how to fly it at speeds of up to Mock 25. It looks hard, but the computer does a lot of the work.. Now the first thing I wanna teach you is..."

Before Ridley could continue, Ken pulled up on the control stick, jerking the entire shuttle back. N, Leo, Ravi, and Hongbin all fell to the back of the shuttle in a heap. 

"This is why we don't touch things until we know how to use them.." Ridley said as she approached Ken and slapped his hand away from the control stick.. "Sorry" he looked down and sat up. The rest of his group glared at him as he ran out of the simulator. 

"Alright boys, I think you've seen enough" Ridley said as she helped them all up..

----

"Hey, what have I missed?" Hyuk ran up to Hongbin as the group walked to the next piece of equipment. "Only everything! Where have you been?"

"Sorry, hyung.. I was working on something.. I can't wait for you to see it" Hyuk smiled. Hongbin only rolled his eyes and held Hyuk's hand. "Do you realize how worried I was..?" he scolded the maknae..

----

"Now before we move on.. I'd like to give some of you positions.. I forgot to do this earlier but some of you will have jobs to study if you want to go into space ever."

"Ravi, since you are one of our less involved, I will wait to give you a position...." Ridley said as she passed by Ravi, who only rolled his eyes

"Ken, you seem to be involved. And you are one of our loudest.." Ridley said. "One of our most annoying as well" N laughed. Ken only replied with a slap on the arm. "I'm making you Mission Specialist #2. Communications" Ridley delcared. Ken bowed "Thank you"

"Hongbin... You also seem to be very involved.. I like your determination" Ridley smiled as she passed by him. "Thanks" he replied. 

"I'm gunna make you Mission Specialist #1. Equipment Function and Operations"

Hongbin smiled and jumped up and down.

"You know.. I've never actually asked you what you guys want.. " Ridley moved over to Leo and N, who were standing side by side. "Leo.. What would you like..?"

"I'm actually very interested in Shuttle Commander.." Leo smiled. Ridley could definitely see the excitement in his eyes. 

"What about you, N?"

"I actually don't mind much.. I didn't know we were getting these jobs.." N shrugged

"Well, the two jobs I have left are Shuttle Commander and Pilot.."

"I'll take pilot" N smiled. Leo smiled and nodded. 

"You don't mind..?" Ridley asked him again. "You know you have that leadership trait.."

"I don't mind" N repeated. 

"Well.. Since you're shuttle commander, you're going to have to start to mind, won't you?" she said. Leo couldn't believe what he was hearing. "But-"

"Leo, you'll be our pilot.." Ridley declared. 

"But I-" he tried to argue. 

"Pilot..." she said one more time and gathered up the group once again. Leo stood there and sighed.. "Want me to talk to her?" N asked.

"No no.. It's.. fine" Leo mumbled and walked away..

----

"I'll be bringing you all to different types of simulators to train you in your new positions.. Ken, you'll be going first.." Ridley said to her class of six. As they went to three different simulators, they finally made it to the pilot's simulator.

"This is the multi-axis chair. If the shuttle is spinning as it re-enters earth's atmosphere, the pilot has seconds to stabilize or you might enter a flat spin. Leo, it's your turn" Ridley said. Leo walked up to the chair and strapped himself in. "You can do this.. I mean, you'll have to learn how to be a pilot.. Got it?" she explained, to which Leo only nodded. "Okay, you have thirty seconds to stabilize.. Let's go"

Just like that, the chair starts to spin and Leo grabs the control stick in front of him. "Come on, Leo. Stabilize" Ridley says as the chair continues to spin faster. "I'm trying" Leo said, not even loud enough for anyone to hear

"20 seconds"

"Come on, hyung" Hongbin whispered. Leo struggles to stabilize the chair while everyone watches

"Leo, you are not a passenger, you are the pilot! Keep your head centered and don't move the stick right or left!"

"I know, I'm trying!" Leo said again, more loudly this time as he grew frustrated. 

"10 SECONDS!" Ridley shouted.. 

"Go LEFT hyung!" Hyuk shouts, but Ken puts his hand over the maknae's mouth.

"5 seconds! Come on, Leo!!" she exclaims again and again. Leo starts to feel a knot in his stomach, like he's getting ready to puke.. 

"Okay, turn it off" Ridley said, and with that, the chair slows down and Leo takes a deep breath. "I'm sorry.."

"No, it's fine.. Let's move on.."

"Wait. I wanna stay"

"What??"

"I wanna get it right"

"Leo, we still have a lot of work to do.."

"Please...."

Ridley stops and turns around to the rest of the group, who all the shrug their shoulders. 

"I'll give you five minutes" she mumbles loud enough for Leo to hear, to which he nods and straps himself back in

----

Later that night, Hongbin and Ravi walked up the hill until they could see the real shuttle lit up by high beams across the lake. "Wooooow" Hongbin's jaw dropped while Ravi just cracked a small smile. "It looks amazing!" Hongbin exclaimed again

Then a long pause....

"Do you think we'll ever actually be able to go up?" Hongbin asked

"I don't know. I don't think about it that much.." Ravi sighed

"What? Really?" Hongbin asked, rather surprised

Ravi nodded

"Then what are you doing here?"

"I came here without a choice.. I mean.. This whole space thing is really fascinating, I'll admit that.. But I don't see myself learning more.. Or becoming an astronaut. I'm only here because my parents wanted to send me away" Ravi explained

"That's not very nice of them.. My parents didn't want me to go cause they were afraid they'd miss me"

"Well.. Everyone is different" Ravi sighed and looked into the lake at his reflection, pointing out all of his flaws....

----

"I swear.. She's out to get me..." Leo frowned as he spoke to N. The two were on their way back to their living quarters. "Well, maybe pilot will be better.. I hear it's a lot more important" N tried to console his disappointed friend. "Well..." Leo started

"I know! Shuttle Commander means you get more authority on the shuttle" N stopped and realized, to which Leo just nodded.. "You like being in charge... It makes a bit more sense now" N smiled.

"Yeah, and apparently you're good at being a leader?" Leo asked

"People told me that I was good at leading as I grew up and I put that in my application. I guess she read our applications or something. I didn't know it would get us here.." N sighed and looked down at the ground..

Just then, right outside their living quarters...

"Stop. Go away!" shouted..

"W-Was that Hyuk?" Leo asked.

N and Leo run into their building and find all their roommates surrounding something. They scooted through the crowd and find them all looking down at Hyuk, guarding his locker that was supposed to hold his clothes..

"Come on, kid. Tell us what's inside!" one student said as he tried to push Hyuk aside.. "NO!" he shouted again, gamering more attention. "Guys! Stop bugging him" N put himself in front of Hyuk to try and guard him.. "Hyung" the young boy smiled

But, while he wasn't paying attention, another student violently pulled Hyuk away from the locker and pushed him onto a bed. The student opened the locker and in it was a round-shaped robot standing on skinny legs with wheels. Some kids gasped, others let out whoa's or awe's. 

"What the heck is it?" one student said..

"His name is Rovix" Hyuk stood up and guarded said robot. 

"What does he do?"

"Anything you tell him to do...." Hyuk said quietly, afraid of where the situation was going.. "Really? Hey! Rovix, shake a leg!" one boy said

Rovix obeyed and lifted a leg and shook it

"Stop it!" Hyuk cried. The maknae couldn't do anything but watch his older roommates taunt the robot he worked so hard to fix. Soon, Rovix started to smoke and shut down. After the fun was over, all but Leo, N, and Ken stood around Rovix and sighed. "Sorry, Hyukkie.." Ken shrugged put his arm around him. "Let's put him back into the locker. Maybe he just needs time to reboot or something" N suggested and the four friends moved Rovix into the locker to rest

"Hey.. Ken.. Do you know where Hongbin is? I still have his jacket" N asked

"He went to see the shuttle across the lake with Ravi.. I heard it looks cool... But don't tell anyone, hyung. They'll be out late"

"Past curfew?" N asked, to which Ken just nodded. "Well, let's hope they can pull that off" he shrugged

Soon after, the boys all started to fall asleep..

----

"Taekwoon... Jung Taekwoon.." Leo heard a male voice call his name.. 

"Wake up, Taekwoon.." he heard more clearly.. Someone was trying to wake him up. Taekwoon opened his eyes slowly and saw an unfamiliar face. "I'm director Kim.. I'm in charge of living quarters 12B.." he said. 

"Good morning, sir.." Leo yawned..

"It's not morning yet.. Wanna tell me where your bunk buddy is?" he asked. When Leo heard this, he looked down to the bottom bunk, which was indeed empty. "Hongbinnie is gone?" Leo played dumb, knowing very well where he and Ravi was. He was just surprised they still hadn't come back.. Director Kim rolled his eyes and flipped the switch next to Leo's bed that turns on the lights. 

The lights without warning, making Leo squint. 

"ALRIGHT!! SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE LEE HONGBIN AND KIM WONSHIK ARE!!!" he shouted, waking up the boys one by one. Leo looked over at the director and saw that Ridley was also there.. He rolled his eyes and turned around to avoid the lights.. 

"I know you're lying, Leo.." Leo heard Ridley whisper in his ear, making him shiver. He turned around to her and glared. "I'm not.. I really don't know where he is.." he said flatly.

"We'll see.. If I find out you're lying, you'll be in trouble" she said and walked through the walkway to talk to Leo's other roommates..

"CHA HAKYEON!" Director Kim yelled in N's ear while he still slept. N jumped up and screamed, as if he woke up from a nightmare. 

"Where's your bunk buddy?" he asked..

"Ravi?" N asked, half-awake..

"What? Who's Ravi?" the director asked N as if he was stupid

Ridley ran up to him and put her hand on his shoulder. "They give each other nicknames.." she said and walked away.. The director turned back to N. "Where is Ravi, Hakyeon?" he asked again

"I don't know.. When did he leave?" N played dumb.. 

"We don't know where they are!!" Hyuk yelled out, getting the director's attention. The director took a deep breath and stood right outside Hyuk's locker. 

"I'LL ASK ONCE AGAIN. WHERE IS LEE HONGBIN?" the director asked

Just then, Rovix rolled out of the locker...

"H-e we-nt to se-e the shuttl-le acros-s the lake wit-h Ravi.. I hea-rd it looks coooo-ol... But-asdfghjkl" Rovix recited Ken's words from earlier.

"Rovix!" Hyuk shouted and shoved his robot back into the locker. The director sighed. "They're at the lake off campus?" he looked down and Hyuk and asked. Hyuk didn't respond, feeling tears in his eyes. "Let's go" the director said and walked out with Ridley to catch Hongbin and Ravi. 

Hyuk cried on his bunk as Ken, N, and Leo came up to him to comfort him. "It's okay, Hyuk. It's not your fault.." N said

"I was the one who said it. I didn't know Rovix could do that" Ken sighed as he rubbed Hyuk's leg..

----

"Dude, it's almost 12am and I'm tired, we should walk back" Hongbin stood up while Ravi remained sitting in the sand. "Hang on, let me call someone real fast" Ravi halted his friend

"Do you really think they'll be up at this hour?" Hongbin asked

"He's overseas for work.."

"Is it your father?" Hongbin asked, to which Ravi looked up at him sadly and nodded his head. Ravi's dialed in the number, but before he could press talk, he and Hongbin could see car lights behind them.. It was campus police

"Oh no" Hongbin whispered..

----

"I'm very disappointed in the both of you" Ridley said for the 100th time as she walked Hongbin and Ravi back to 12B.

"What's our punishment?" Hongbin asked. 

"Suspension from all lessons for two days..." Ridley said coldly. Hongbin couldn't believe his ears. "But we'll miss so much!" he exclaimed. "Good observation, Mr. Lee.. Now go to sleep" Ridley glared at them both and shoved them into the building..

As they both walked up the bunks, they stopped and Ravi crossed his arms. Most of their roommates were still awake. 

"Who talked?" Ravi asked, but nobody responded.

"Was it you, hyung?" Hongbin walked up to Leo's bunk. Leo only shook his head. Angry Hongbin frightened him. "Then who?" Hongbin walked towards Ken's bunk when Hyuk broke the cold, hard ice.

"It was Rovix" he said quietly..

"I'm sorry.. What?" Hongbin asked. "Rovix told on you.." Hyuk repeated, unable to look at his hyung

"That damn robot.. Hyuk.. You can't use that thing as your excuse for everything! It was a mistake on your part to have found it and put it back together! How stupid can someone get?!" Hongbin scolded Hyuk. 

"Hongbin.. Calm down" Ken said from his bunk. "It was me who said the words to N hyung. Rovix heard them and repeated them back at the wrong time"

"You all talk as if Rovix is a real person.. That robot doesn't do anything but cause problems.. It'll NEVER-"

"HE!" Hyuk interrupted Hongbin

"Excuse me?"

"HE, not IT" he cried

Hongbin crouched down to meet eye level with Hyuk. "IT will never fix our problems or make anything better. So I suggest you take IT back to where you found IT, and TAKE IT APART!!" he shouted in Hyuk's face and returned to his bunk.. Hyuk couldn't take being around anyone so he ran out of the room into the lab next door..

Quietly, without anyone knowing besides Ken, Rovix rolled out of the locker and followed Hyuk. Ken only watched, shrugged his shoulders and laid back down..

"Let fate take its course, Jaehwan" he sighed and closed his eyes. 

As Hongbin tried to cool off, Leo leaned over his bunk to look at him. "Want me to get you anything?" he asked silently

"No. Just don't speak to me" Hongbin breathed through his teeth. Leo frowned and rolled over to go to sleep.

----

Hyuk sat in front of a display case in the lab and sobbed after getting yelled at by his favorite hyung, not knowing what to think. 

He felt like it was his fault..

But it was Ken's words..

Not his..

But Rovix is his robot..

He's his responsibility..

Suddenly, Hyuk could hear Rovix's wheels on the ground roll towards him. "Hy-uk..." Rovix said

"Rovix... I'm so sad.." Hyuk sniffled. "I've gotten in trouble.."

"I--'m sorrryyyy" Rovix apologized.. "It's not your fault.. It was how you were programmed

"Can IIII He---elp?" the robot asked. 

"Well you can't help with what I want" Hyuk giggled.

"Whaaaaat d-o youuu waa-aant?" Rovix asked

"To be anywhere but here.. I want to go to space.... So bad.." Hyuk said, starting to cry again. 

After telling Rovix about what he wanted, Hyuk was so engulfed in his crying that he realized that his robot had disappeared.. "Rovix??" Hyuk called out to him, but Rovix didn't respond..

---

Two days later, after Hongbin's and Ravi's probation was over, Ridley brought her six students to the shuttle simulator once again to prep for their plan of action for the worst case scenarios during re-entry of the earth's atmosphere.

As the shuttle started to shake and the boys were in their positions... Ravi stood as everyone else work on their jobs..

"What's going on back there?!" N asked in front while Hongbin and Ken argue about the wiring.. "JUST CROSS WIRE IT HYUNG!" Hongbin shouts to Ken. 

Ridley, who was outside next to the controls shuts off the power in the simulator and the boys start to panic..

"Control, this is Optimus, we're experiencing electrical failure, switching to auxiliary cells" Leo said into his mic and pressing three switches.

"Hey! That's my job!" N argued. "Well, you're not doing very well at your damn job" Leo shouted.

"N hyung! Help me with these wires.. It's the red wire next to the green one, right?" Hongbin asked. N sighed in frustration and unbuckled his seat belt to help Hongbin and Ken.. 

Leo sat alone trying to figure out his own problems when Ravi sits down in N's spot and looks around. "What the hell are you doing?" Leo asked

"I'll be commander" Ravi smiled

"This is serious practice. There's a reason we didn't give you a position" Leo snarled.

"What the hell is going on in there?" Ridley said into her mic to the commander. "N must've hit a switch when he got up"

"Ravi? What are you doing? You're not commander? Where's N?"

"He seems to want to do everyone else's job" Ravi laughed and looked at random buttons. "Shut up, Ravi!" N yelled from the back..

As Leo and Ravi argued in the front and Ken, Hongbin, and N argued in the back, Ridley looked at Hyuk from the switch board in frustration. "Enough" she muttered and pressed a button, turning all the lights in the simulator from normal to red, catching the boys' attention

"What happened?" Ken said

...

"Unbelievable" Ridley shook her head as she walked in with Hyuk. "What?" Ravi asked

"First off, what are you doing in N's spot? N, WHY did you leave your post?"

"These two needed help" N sighed, wiping sweat from his forehead. "Well, that is their job, not yours" Ridley wagged her finger at N.

"I don't even know what he's doing here. He should be out there with you.. He takes absolutely nothing seriously" Leo spoke up as he pointed to Ravi. "Hyung.." Ravi started

"Why didn't you do your job, Leo?" Ridley asked

"Excuse me?" Leo said

"If this was the real deal.. We'd all be dead... Because of you" Ridley sighed.. 

Leo had had enough.. "I can't believe this" he let out a humorless chuckle as he unbuckled his seat belt and stomped out of the simulator.. His dramatic exit put everyone in a state of silence.

Suddenly, Ridley ran out of the shuttle and after Leo.. 

"I'm sorry guys.. I shouldn't be here.. I don't have a job yet" Ravi frowned.. 

"I.. just wanted to watch" he said as he sat up and left without another word. Hongbin watched Ravi leave sympathetically, remembering what he had told him two nights before.

----

"Leo! Leo! Come back here!" Ridley shouted as she followed him. "It's all my fault?" Leo spun around and asked, totally red in the face. "I'm sorry I said that. I was angry too.."

"Why me?" Leo asked

"What do you mean?" she asked back

"The six of us.. And you choose me to pick on.. Nobody in our group takes this serious more than I do.. And you've been on my case since day one..."

Ridley looked down, thinking of words to say

"I saw the determination in your eyes the moment I met you..."

"Then why are you so hard on me?" Leo asked, feeling tears in his eyes

"Because one day, you're going up.." Ridley sighed, pointing to the ceiling, referring to outer space. "And the only way you will is if you have this down pat better than everyone else.. There's no room for mistakes.. That's how I learned it, that's how you'll learn it too"

Leo looked down, feeling a small spark in his heart as the first tear fell off his cheek and onto the ground.