.Chapter 02

Demon Beside Me

A few days later, it was confirmed that the floating body by the docks was indeed the missing girl from the university. The news had spread like wildfire across the campus and in the residence areas; fear has covered the entire city.

“Apparently, this was not the first case of finding dead people in the water by the beaches and lakes.” Yoseob read in his small notebook. “People still go down there to swim though, even if it’s considered pretty unsafe to do so. We probably should not plan to go to the beaches if any parties come up.”

Hari really wondered as to why she chose this university in the first place - she had never heard about these things at all from the news.

The door of the common room opened and Hari recognized the person who stepped in - it was the guy who had walked past her, knocking her off balance and said not a word of an apology.

The room instantly fell silent and a cold breeze wafted through the air. Yoseob stood up and extended his arm for a handshake.

“I have never seen you here before, are you a first-year too?” He asked.

The guy gave no reply. He glanced around the room and left, as if he did not find what he was looking for.

Awful manners. Hari thought to herself.

Yoseob blinked. “Okay....” He looked at the group. “Does anyone know who this person is?”

They all shook their heads. “Yoseobie, if you don’t know that person, who does?”

Yoseob ignored the newcomer and continued on with his story. “Some say that it’s the action of a water demon, which had caused all these incidents.”

Hari laughed, “A Demon?” Honestly, Hari cannot categorize the words that Yoseob spills out from his mouth as fiction or reality.

“It’s true.” Yoseob scrambled in his notes. “There’s a whole section in the central library which describes about demons and how they exist.”

The others seemed to have already read these such books, as they were nodding their heads in unison and murmuring to each other.

Wanting to read these books herself, Hari did go to the central library to search demons up.

She was walking on the second floor, when she noticed the same ill-mannered guy sitting with a girl, who seemed to be a second or third-year student.

He looked and acted different. He was very close to the girl and was pointing at the book that they were reading together. There were sudden outbursts of giggles from the girl every so often, so Hari assumed that either the book was so funny that someone would laugh at it, or the guy was making some sort of joke.

The first words that came to Hari’s mind were: “That must be his girlfriend.” There was simply no other reason as to why he was acting so differently. Anyway, Hari dashed off to find the section about “demons”.

Hari was amazed at how many books were on this subject. She selected one to skim through:

Demons are not a myth.

Hari began to think that this book was a joke, starting from the very first line.

Demons were once humans in their past lifetime, hence they appear to the eye as a regular person. They were once humans who have died painfully, but no one realizes that they have passed away. Another factor is that these humans have one or more strong desires that they wished to complete in their lifetime, but have failed to do so. These feelings of despair, hatred at those who have killed them, and a will stronger than fire are revived as demons.

They may look and act completely normal, but their actions and way of life are completely different. Their goals and dreams that they originally wished to fulfill are completely forgotten and what is left is the hatred of humans.


“This is getting a little scary...” Hari muttered. She read on.

Demons feed on the souls of humans. Depending on where they had died as humans, their way of feeding is different.

Hari closed the book. “This sounds more like fiction than actual facts.” She placed the book back onto the shelf, unable to read it further on.

She peered out of the shelves and noticed that the rude guy and his girl had disappeared already. Thoughts about demons lurking around were already swirling in her mind. She tried to shake them out.

“Definitely not real.”