Chapter Eleven

Capitulate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Summer has come and passed. The Innocent can never last.

Wake me up when September ends.” -Green Day, Wake Me Up When September Ends

 

 

There was definitely something going on, concluded Kang Daesung as he eyed the closed door of the CEO office. His beady eyes had witnessed the covert smiles shared by the two, the spring in his boss’s steps that were previously absent. Not to mention, the consecutive lunch dates they had went on together for a few days in a row now. It was subtle but it was there, acknowledged Daesung, the budding of a sweet romance.

 

Taking a sip of his coffee, Daesung squinted his tiny Asian eyes as he crept closer to the closed doors, as though by doing so, he could acquire X-ray vision to see beyond the doors, to see if Bella and Jiyong were indeed dating within the sanctuary of the CEO’s office.

 

“What’cha looking at?” asked Youngbae as he huddled beside Daesung.

 

The taller man fought back a scream, “Youngbae!”

 

“Daesung!” mimicked Youngbae, fighting a snort at the other man’s shock.

 

“You’re back!”

 

“That I am.” said Youngbae proudly, his arms outstretched as though he was receiving some sort of imaginary applause. He had been gone for close to two weeks now and he had missed being in Korea.

 

“Seriously though, why were you staring creepily at Jiyong’s office?”

 

Daesung hushed the man, before leading Youngbae away from the closed doors, “I think Bella and Jiyong are dating.”

 

Youngbae’s brows rose so high, it nearly disappeared into his hairline, “Say what now.”

 

Daesung nodded seriously before telling the other man what he had witnessed for the past week or so.

 

Youngbae listened to Daesung intently, unsure of what he truly felt towards this nugget of information.

 

Just then, the doors to Jiyong’s office opened. Jiyong cocked his brow at the sight of his best friend huddling with Daesung in a corner, gossiping no doubt, while Yoona merely stared at the two curiously.

 

“Youngbae, you’re back!” said Yoona cheerfully.

 

Youngbae smiled, “That I am, oh young one.” The man wasn’t sure of how he felt if the two were to really date but for now, he was content in pretending everything was fine and dandy.

 

Yoona laughed before turning to Jiyong, “I’ll finalise the budgeting with the accounting team before getting back to you.” And with a curt nod, Yoona left, Daesung trailing after her while Youngbae followed Jiyong back into his office.

 

“I thought you weren’t due back in the office till tomorrow?” asked Jiyong.

 

Youngbae merely smirked as he reclined into the couch, “What? I can’t visit the office when I feel like it? I’ve a share to Peace Minus One as well y’know.”

 

Jiyong merely rolled his eyes at that.

 

“So…” began Youngbae cautiously, “A little birdie told me that you and Bella are dating.”

 

Jiyong cocked his brow at Youngbae, “You and Daesung gossip way too much.”

 

Youngbae frowned as he waggled his finger at his friend, “Hey now, it’s not called gossiping, it was an exchange of information. And who said that it was Daesung who told me?”

 

Youngbae huffed at the unimpressed look on Jiyong’s face, “Ugh fine, it was Daesung. But don’t change the topic, are you two dating or what?”

 

Jiyong rolled his eyes, “It’s just lunch, Youngbae. We aren’t kissing, or holding hands or having sleepovers or anything like that.”

 

“But do you want to?” questioned Youngbae. Only to curse when Jiyong remained silent at Youngbae’s sudden question, “Ah hell.”

 

Jiyong frowned at Youngbae, “You disapprove?”

 

Sighing, Youngbae flopped back down onto the white couch as he pondered over his answer, staring at the white ceiling. Did he really disapprove? Anyone else would be better than Kiko Mizuhara right?

 

“Not disapprove, per say, I just have my concerns. We’re still trying to find out her real identity remember? And don’t forget you’re still engaged to Kiko.” reminded Youngbae softly, “Does she know that?”

 

Jiyong frowned, not knowing the answer to Youngbae’s question.

 

Youngbae sighed before sitting upright once more, “Are you happy?”, he asked.

 

Jiyong hesitated before giving a slow nod, “Happier than I’ve been for awhile now.”

 

Youngbae fought back a sigh. He knew it, Jiyong was back on his way in being a sappy fool. But perhaps, he acknowledged, that it was the kind of happiness Jiyong deserved after so long.

 

Youngbae gave his friend a sincere smile, “Then you have my blessings.”, before sobering up once more, “But I sure as hell hope you know what you’re doing Ji.”

 

Jiyong nodded gravely, knowing that if he were to progress any further with the girl, he had to end things with Kiko Mizuhara. He couldn’t risk her holding him at arm's length should she find out he’s promised to another woman.

 

Jiyong smirked at Youngbae, recalling something, “Say… have you heard?”

 

Youngbae propped his head up, “What?”

 

“We’re flying to Singapore the day after tomorrow. We’ll be staying there for about 10 days.” and Jiyong fought a laugh at Youngbae’s gobsmacked face, he knew the man had been looking forward to some R&R time back in Korea.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter