Chapter Nine

Capitulate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Everybody has a chapter they don’t read out loud.”-unknown

 

 

Yoona spun herself idly on the office chair, browsing through the file of information on Chaerin that Daesung had acquired for her. Her personal assistant never fails to impress her with his efficiency. For what would usually take others a week to finish, the man would have it done by the third day or so. This task was no exception. Heck, Daesung was even able to find out the specific bistro Chaerin likes to frequent on a near weekly basis every other Thursday.

 

With a purse of her lips, Yoona switched off the computer monitor, grabbing her coat as she made her way out of the office.

 

Daesung trailed after the lithe woman hurriedly, “Miss Choi, you’ve a conference call scheduled in ten minutes!”

 

Yoona gave Daesung an apologetic smile, “I’m so sorry Daesung but please cancel my appointments for the day, I’ve somewhere else to be at. You can head home early if there’s nothing for you to do!”

 

With a hurried goodbye to the distressed Daesung, Yoona left the office. Work could wait, there was someone she had to meet today. It was Thursday after all.

 

Jiyong’s phone buzzed from where it sat on the desk.

 

Jiyong smirked as he glanced at the caller ID, “How’s New York?”

 

“Friggin cold.” came the disgruntled reply and Jiyong laughed, picturing his best friend’s annoyed scowl.

 

Youngbae rolled his eyes at his friend’s merry laughter. Assh*le.

 

“Anyway, things seem to be holding up over at NYU. I can’t find anything suspicious based on the campus records. Not that they allowed me to access much of Bella’s records, I could only take a look at her attendance records and transcript.”

 

Jiyong frowned. It was a long shot but he had hoped to uncover some information on Bella Choi.

 

Youngbae sighed, “So yep, this was a bust. Our best hope remains to be the household staff, hopefully someone would say something to our contact.”

 

Jiyong nodded, “Alright, keep me posted.”

 

“Sure thangggg.” drawled Youngbae, “I’m about done here, a few more business meetings and I’m out of here. Soon you soon, my brother. Youngbae out!”

 

Jiyong chuckled at the other man’s cherry goodbye before sighing. Sending Youngbae to NYU while he was in New York for business had been an impulsive decision, not that he had thought Youngbae would actually discover anything but he had hoped. Seems like what’s left for Jiyong to do now was to play the waiting game, to hope that one of the Choi’s household staff would slip up and give him the lead that he needs.

 

Setting foot in the posh bistro, Yoona’s gaze searched for the individual she was looking for.

 

There, she exclaimed. Right there at the back.

 

Yoona strode over hurriedly before she could lose her nerve, sitting herself uninvited across the intimidating woman.

 

Chaerin’s gaze snapped up from the magazine she was reading at the intrusion, her brow arching at the stranger’s presence.

 

“May I help you?” she questioned in annoyance as she tossed her blonde curls back.

 

Yoona smirked as she removed the pair of sunglasses that she had don on, “You’re a hard person to find Lee Chaerin.”

 

Chaerin stared at the stranger, not recognising the woman for a minute, only to stare horrified the moment she could put a name to the face.

 

“Im Yoona.” whispered Chaerin fearfully.

 

Yoona merely held her smirk in place as she eyed Chaerin whom had gone unnaturally pale, neither acknowledging or denying the name that had tumbled past Chaerin’s lips. “You see, I find myself in need of some answers, Chaerin.”

 

Chaerin gulped but nodded eagerly, “Ask me anything. I’ll do anything.”

 

All these years, she had hoped for a chance, an opportunity to atone for the guilt she harboured towards Yoona. It was one of the reasons why she had chosen not to be affiliated with Kwon Jiyong in any way possible, even if Peace Minus One proved to be a prestigious addition to a designer’s resume. But that hadn’t felt enough, the guilt she carried still lingered. And now that an opportunity had presented itself, quite literally, before her, Chaerin had no plans to deny anything Im Yoona wanted. No matter how absurd the notion was that Yoona had somehow defied death and was currently sitting before her, alive and well. Even if this was insanity, she’ll take it.

 

“Why should I trust you, Chaerin?”

 

Chaerin’s eye misted at the woman before her, how was she to explain the guilt she carried over the years? “Because I’m sorry.” answered Chaerin honestly, “Sorry that I couldn’t stop Kiko from drugging you, for knowing of her plans too late, for not speaking up each time she ill-treated you in school, and…”

 

Chaerin swallowed hard, “and for my part in driving you to suicide.” Whispered Chaerin softly.

 

Yoona frowned, “Drug?” That was news to her.

 

Chaerin stared at the woman sitting before her, her tears building. She didn’t know. After all these years, Im Yoona still hadn’t known, and Chaerin fought a sob.

 

“You don’t know.” stated Chaerin softly, her heart was breaking while Yoona merely looked at Chaerin in confusio

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter