03

Dangling Daisies

Jongup barges in through the door and walks straight up to the desk. His brows furrow at the middle of his forehead as he stares down at Youngjae.

“Oh, Good morning Jongup. What brings you here?” Youngjae greets him. His face so vibrant and his smile as if he’s ready to up-and-go at everything, and Jongup knows exactly why.

“Don’t ‘Good morning Jongup’ me! You proposed to Soomi and you didn’t even bother telling me.” Jongup flailed his arms then placed them on his hips. If he allowed it, flames would be flaring out his nostrils at the moment. Youngjae looked back at him, confused and taken aback.

“But, I thought I already told you that I was going to propose soon. It was a secret only between us, remember?” Youngjae said and watched as the other crinkled his nose and pressed at the bridge of it, controlling his agitation.

“You said soon, not very soon, as in yesterday!”

“Just calm down and take a seat before you hurt yourself please” Youngjae gestured, his voice calm compared to Jongup. The other man let out a frustrated huff but complied anyway and took his seat opposite of Youngjae at his desk.

“Look, I know you’re mad and I’m sorry, ok. I didn’t mean to propose to her so fast, but I was very eager ok. I couldn’t help myself” Youngjae explained, hoping that Jongup would understand him.

Jongup stared at him for a long while then let out a defeated sigh and leaned into the chair, massaging his sudden aching temples with his fingers.

“I’m not- I’m not angry, ok” he sighed again, “I’m just frustrated.”

“About her?” Youngjae asked, staring back at his friend as he waited for an answer, but there was none. “Jongup, are you really sure you don’t need me to help you with- ”

“No!” Jongup exclaimed, nearly jumping out of his chair. “I don’t need your help, just- No.” he repeated himself.

“Jongup, I’m your best friend. You don’t have to worry”

Jongup shook his head before Youngjae could finish what he needed to explain, and gladly, Youngjae let it drop. This wasn’t the first time they argued about this. Youngjae was willing to borrow him some money but Jongup was stubborn and he wouldn’t listen.  Not one bit of it. If he wanted to do it, he would do it with his own effort, that’s what makes it more meaningful to him. For them.

“What else is it?” Youngjae asked. He could see it on Jongup’s face. They have been friends for so many years now he could practically read everything on Jongup’s face. He knows there’s something else that’s bothering him.

“I’m not confident. I’m afraid. What if she doesn’t want this yet? What if she thinks I’m going too fast? What if she says no?” Jongup asked; more likely just speaking his worries out loud for himself to hear.

What if-” Youngjae repeats him, “What if maybe this is all you? You’re the one who doesn’t want it yet. You think you’re going too fast. What if you have second thoughts and say no instead?” Youngjae reasons, and Jongup blinks at the thought.

“Jongup, this is Sookyung we’re talking about. I think she has made it very clear about how much she likes you. You’ve been with her as long as I have been with Soomi and damn it Jongup, you even have the key to her apartment. Soomi refuses to even let me have hers!” Youngjae rambles; the look on his frustrated face kind of makes Jongup want to laugh.

“That’s because you’re a ert!” Jongup retorts, and Youngjae forms a fist to threat Jongup but they both end up laughing at each other. This lightens Jongup a little bit, both of them joking together like they used to. At least he feels a bit better now after hearing what Youngjae said.

Right at that moment, Youngjae receives a text message and he slides he phone to unlock and reads it.

“Would you like to join me and Soomi for dinner tonight?” he asks and replied to his text at the same time.

“Nah, I wouldn’t want to bother you two” he says, waving his hand in front of him.

“Not really, Sookyung will be there” Youngjae says and he doesn’t even have to look to know that Jongup’s hand has stopped mid-air. “So, is that a yes?

 

 

 

 

 

"I'm late again, aren't I?"

Sookyung stood at the end of the table and stared down at the empty seats opposite of where Jongup was sitting. Jongup responded with a sympathetic smile and gestured her to sit. She sat herself down and let out a sigh, disappointed with herself.

"They waited, but you weren't coming any time sooner, so they left" he explained. His hands cupping his face as his elbows propped his head up, to look lazily up at Sookyung.

"When?" she merely asked. She wondered why she even asked anyway. They were already gone.

"Like half an hour ago. I told them I'd wait for you. Made sure you had your dinner" he said, finally sitting up straight and straightening out his dress shirt.

"I’m not hungry anymore" she pouted. Sad at the fact that she missed dinner with her sister again. It wasn't like this happened often but this wasn't really the first time either.

"Are you really sure about that?" Jongup asks, and crosses his arm over his chest. He stares at Sookyung, one eyebrow raised incredulous.

Sookyung covered her stomach with her one hand. Ok, she lied. She missed lunch and she was famished. Embarrassed, she slowly lowered her head and shook it.

"Well, come on then." Jongup got up and put on his coat. "I'm taking you somewhere with real food"

 

 

When he said real food, Jongup really meant McDonald's because, seriously, what is Jongup without his love for Burgers and fries and vanilla milkshakes. To be really honest though, although she wasn’t such a fan of burgers,  Sookyung preferred this place rather than that high end restaurant which would just make the two of them more uncomfortable. All the more reason to eat here, especially with her loved one. Especially with Jongup.

"You should stop skipping meals. It's unhealthy" Jongup advised while munching down on burger.

"Oh yeah?" Sookyung responded, as she dipped her fries in the vanilla milkshake and shoved them in his mouth, which he willingly chomped down. "And bring me to this fast food restaurant?" she teased and took a bite out of a French fry.

 

When they finished eating their dinner, they walked their way home. Although there was more work to be done tomorrow, it was a calm night. Their fingers intertwined with in another, they walked together down the street, so close to each other as if attached at the shoulder.

"You should apologise to Soomi, you know" Jongup says. Pulling her closer when she starts pulling away playfully.

"I know" she pouts, feeling guilty for the nth time, " but it was just dinner. Just like any other dinner we have with each other" Sookyung says, kicking an invisible rock off the road.

"Yeah, but this time it was for a special occasion and they're engaged" he says this time. Squeezing her hands tight.

"I know. I know" Sookyung finally behaves and attaches herself to Jongup again, hugging his arms now. She liked his arms a lot, it was all lean muscle and it's always so warm when she nuzzles her face there. "She's so lucky she's getting married soon."

Jongup tenses and he hopes that she doesn't feel him do so. "Yeah" he responds in a small whisper, feeling rather small now.

Jongup felt a little relieved that Sookyung immediately dropped the current conversation topic so quickly and pointed towards a gift shop. It was surprising that the shop was still opened at this hour, and Sookyung was more eager to enter and dragged him in.

It was a little cosier now in the shop, and Sookyung had already run off somewhere. Jongup, disinterested just browsed around, looking at things that were rather useless if he were to use any.

"Jongup, look!" Sookyung calls him, and he turns his head only to get a small bottle nearly bump into his face. Jongup frowned and glanced at Sookyung from behind the bottle, question her. Questioning it.

"Look! It's a daisy in a bottle!" she says so excitedly, and Jongup has his eyebrows raised again.

"I don't see any daisy" he teases.

"Of course not. You need to grow it, silly" she rolled her eyes at his remark. "I'm buying it" she says and Jongup has his mouth wise open.

"I don't really see the point of it" he says, but Sookyung just walks past him and heads for the counter. Jongup decides to go back outside. He knows Sookyung is a creative person, and he really appreciates her for who she is and he is definitely proud of her, but sometimes, he just doesn't understand her small quirks. Cute quirks most definitely.

 

 

 

"Don't you have work tomorrow?" Jongup asks as he sits down on his sofa. Sighing in relief, finally retiring himself from the day.

"Mhm" he hears Sookyung respond but he wasn't sure whether that was a yes or a no, so he looks up to see what she's up to.

She's by the window, placing the bottle that she just bought by the sill, carefully putting the soil and seeds into place and adding the water at the bottom of the bottle.

He groans and gets up from the comfort of his sofa to walk up to her. "Really?" he nearly scoffs, but he knows Sookyung wouldn't really take it as an insult and just pokes at her chin.

"So that you'd always think about me" she smiles to herself. He chuckles and shakes his head.

"I think it's supposed to be the other way round" he says.

"That's why I bought one for myself" she turns around to reach into the bag and pulls out another bottle. "I’m always so absorbed with my paintings so every time I take a break and look at this, I'll think of you" she giggles and blushes. The words so cringe worthy but they both knows it's true.

Sookyung lets out a small yelp when Jongup pulls her by the waist then pulls her chin to place her lips against his.

"God, you're so cute" he says when he pulls away then gives her one last peck on the lips. Sookyung is speechless and she knows she can't hide her face when she blushes, so she just looks down and chews nervously on her bottom lip.

"You can spend the night here tonight if you want" he says, still holding her tightly by her waist.

"O-Ok" she nods nervously.

Tomorrow morning would be hard to wake up to, but just for this moment, everything is ok.

 

 

 

 

250612.

A/N: /sigh/ about the "update every Friday" thing. I tried... and the fluff makes me choke like seriously.