01.

The Perfect Storm
Please log in to read the full chapter

❝if you really knew me;

Isn't it odd how life can be one thing and in an instant becomes something else?

Now, here I am, Kwon Haru and just like my name I've lived one day at a time with the life that had been surrounded by a daily routine of occupying myself in a classroom for hours, day dreaming about the moments my life would transform into a scene of pure spontaneity even for a moment. But with the pressure and challenges of  my extremely affluent family I find myself struggling to believe it could it ever happen. 

"It's your turn to share Haru." I look up and return to a normal train of thought. There's been a new program going on within the school where they've enforced counseling-based lessons for all of us and only today have we really been told to do an activity related to it. To most, it was a program totally uncalled for but due to the high amount of stress spreading throughout the school, something had to be done. Everyone had things hidden in their lives and some were easy enough to express in an activity such as "If you really knew me" to break down the walls and get to know each other on a more personal level. While some went with the flow, some students took the activity so seriously that tears were beginning to fill the room and hugs were being given to comfort them.But as the rest of us in my group, we simply sat there like we were carbon copies of the famous European statue, The Thinker. 

Before I knew it I had to express who I was to a group of people who only knew me through entertainment news stations or the internet. "I'll start now I guess? Um, if you really knew -" 

Cutting me off, I was told by Yerin, the one person I can dub as my number one Debby Downer, "Before you start, how about you reveal how your life really is instead of hitting us with the typical stuff we hear all the time? I'm sure everyone wants to know if your life really is what they say on TV." It was quite a stretch and I was surprised by this girl's nerve. But it's true, I was going to hit them with the "if you really knew me you'd know I have a fear of spiders" or something like that. I often wondered if what they heard on TV about my family was all that they needed. It wasn't as though we had bad reputations but with the fortune that my father has dug up while my mother's influential activities, it seemed too perfect to believe. Ever since I was a child people had insight into my life. It wasn't quite private, but it surely wasn't public either, so speculations were always brought up. Thankfully, no one added to what Yerin said, knowing most respected my family's privacy, but with the look in  their eyes you knew right away they wanted anything they could get from me even if they said it or not. "Come on, go ahead Kwon Haru, leave us with something to remember you by."

The word had spread that it was my last day here in this school I attended ever since I was in kindergarten.  My parents were proud investors in this school but the more my fathers business grew, the more we expanded our horizons. It just took time to show that we weren't going to stay here for long. I was not going to leave this place behind as the timid and obedient girl that I was known to be the day I walked into this building. I was tired of hiding behind and decided to say whatever came to mind without revealing too much. "Okay, fine. If you really knew me, you'd know that there's

Please log in to read the full chapter