02.

The Perfect Storm
Please log in to read the full chapter

❝the downfall;

I walked into the living room while Junhoe followed behind, only to find my father sitting down on the couch as if he was anticipating my arrival. 

"Haru!" My mom walked in from the kitchen with a glass of wine in her hand. "Let's talk." She nodded then patted the couch in front of her and ordered Junhoe to let us have a moment alone to speak to each other. 

My parents sat there on the couch in front of me looking all but comfortable. "It's about your new school." He cleared his voice. I didn't know much about the new high school I was going to attend but even with the lack of information I still left the planning in the trust of my parents knowing it was nothing I should have been worried about. 

Sharing another glance at each other my mother quickly broke the ice, "You'll be attending Jungsan High School for the remainder of the year." Jungsan High School was a noteworthy school for all the craziest reasons. Hyundai, my now former high school were filled with kids who had dreams and ambition who later moved onto becoming South Korea's best entertainers and entrepreneurs. Although, Jungsan on the other hand was known to hold some of the most intelligent students and alumni, you were simply a figment in their student population if you weren't those students. What didn't cross their mind was the fact that this school was practically nothing until the last graduating class received countless amount of offers to attend some of the top universities in the world just for their charitable work. And besides those who participated in charitable work making a huge impact on the school's name, it was just a normal public high school for students around the area. "And I know exactly what's going through your mind, but the reason you're being transferred is because," I'm guessing now is the big reveal of the reason why we didn't talk about my enrollment in the first place and why it became so secretive up until this day.

I can see the scowl in my father's face and knew something was going on in his own little world that was now effecting mine. "We can't continue to pay tuition and invest in Hyundai anymore and due to that, the school will not be guaranteeing you a spot. Understand?"

Sometimes when you're more involved in certain things such as being a major investor in a school, normal rules of expolsion or leaves of absences don't apply to you. This, was a perfect example. I never did anything wrong nor did I voluntarily leave the high school. 

Obediently, I nodded. "I understand dad, but you enrolled me into Jungsan? I'm not sure if you know but there's Joongdong, Hanlim, Seoul, but ... Jungsan?" I was in disbelief and the trust I had for making some of these decisions were now disappearing. 

"You know Haru, appreciate the fact that you actually get to go to a school that doesn't run us for our money!" He yelled. "Half of the opportunities that you get is because of our money. Our money! Do you realize that?! Aren't you old enough to know that you can't get everything you want?" This was yet again another moment where my dad ran his mouth on tangent.

"Honey!" Mom yelled.

All that ever ran through my dad's head was money, status, and authority. The last thing he cared about was how his actual family felt. If we were eating and being productive we were viewed as being well and alive, therefore making it okay to go on with his life comfortably. But anything that effects his fortune becomes an instant problem. He becomes tempermental, stressed and horrifically scary to talk to, nothing about him seemed loving unless he was in front of a camera - where he was a professional at faking his pleasantries.  

It was on recent news that the Hyundai Group's was causing my father'

Please log in to read the full chapter