Twelve

An Anomalous Perhaps

Hea Jung wasn’t sure how long they had sat at the park. She just remembered getting off the swings and settling down in a bench next to Jae, admiring the stars and the moon that hung high in the indigo night sky.

 

She must have dozed off, because her eyes snapped open to Jae gently poking her cheek.

 

“Hey.”

 

She blinked several times, bleary eyed. She yawned and sat up straight, lifting her head off of his comfortable shoulder. It was sunny today, and the entire scene before her seemed strangely cheerful and surreal.

 

“It’s morning…?”

 

Jae nodded. “It’s seven.”

 

Frantically, she grabbed her cell phone, and sure enough, the time was displayed in large bright font across the top. “Jae!” She jumped up, brushing herself off.

 

She looked awful. Her dress was all strangely creased and wrinkled, her hair was a mess as well. “We have school.” She blurted hurriedly, trying to smooth out her dress as she talked.

 

Jae shrugged. “So? It’s not like you’re going to learn anything. It’s all just going to be reviews since exams are basically this Friday.”

 

Hea Jung glanced back down at her phone. There was a text from her mother sent last night.

 

Where are you. We need to talk

 

She deleted the text before turning back to Jae. “They’ll call my mother.”

 

He shrugged. “You’re in trouble already.”

 

She bit her lip. He had a point, and she hated that he seemed to always be one step ahead of her.

 

“Fine.” She snapped. “What am I supposed to do now, then? I can’t just avoid my mom forever. Plus, I need to take a shower and change out of this freaking thing.” She gestured toward her dress.

 

“Whoa. Chill.” Jae got up slowly, stretching out a crick in his back.

 

She pressed her lips together impatiently.

 

Jae looked at her pointedly. “But do you want to go back home right now?”

 

She looked down. “No.” She muttered.

 

“Then you can come to mine.”

 

Without thinking, he took her hand and lead her out of the park, taking her home with him.


 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

He gently plucked at the strings.

 

When the water touches the shore

And captures the sand

That’s when you’ll know

That I’ll never let you go.

 

When the sun has set

And all the birds and bugs have gone to sleep

I’ll still be holding you

I won’t let you go.

 

In a million years, in a million years

This yearning for your embrace

Won’t go away

In a million years

 

Even if-”

 

She came out of the shower, her hair still wet, wearing his sister’s old t-shirt and shorts. She stopped short when she saw him with the black guitar balanced carefully on his lap. “You play?”

 

He flashed her a smile. “Feel better?” He handed her a steaming cup of hot chocolate.

 

She nodded and smiled back. “Tons.” She wrapped her hands around the cup. “Thanks, Jae. I mean it.”

 

He waved away her gratitude. “It’s fine, you know you’re welcome to spend time with me any time you want. I don’t normally allow people my awesome presence unless they pay. You are very lucky, Miss Kim Hea Jung.”

 

She giggled. “You’re honestly so cocky.”

 

“Not cocky, just the truth.”

 

She rolled her eyes. “Yeah, right.” She nodded at his guitar. “Go on.”

 

“Nah, I don’t think so.” He shook his head. “It’s not much of anything.”

 

“You can’t just put on half a performance. Come on,” She sat down on the couch next to him, putting her now empty cup on the table. “I want to hear the last verse.”

 

“Not like I can stop you from being so persistent, right?” Jae said with a wry smile. He flexed his fingers. They nimbly found their way back to the familiar chords.

 

Even if the time comes

When the earth is set in darkness

I’ll still be holding your hand

I can’t let you go.

 

Because in a million years, a million years,

I’ll still be waiting for you

even if you will never belong with me.

In a million years.

 

Because you’re just that special to me,

Girl, you’re my oxygen, you’re how I breathe.

Without you, how do I live?

I’ll be waiting.

 

In a million years, millions years,

my arms will never drop,

I’ll still be waiting for you to enter them

In a million years.”

 

She burst into applause. “Jae, you never told me you could sing!”

 

He smiled shyly. “Well…. I can’t.” He laughed sheepishly.

 

She punched him in the arm. “Liar. Did you compose that yourself?”

 

He nodded.

 

“I never knew.” She grinned. “So who’s this girl in the song?”

 

He just shook his head silently, a sheepish smile still on his lips.

 

“Tell me?”

 

“No.”

 

“Please, Jae?”

 

“No.”


 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy halloween :D

subuhscraibuh and commentuh 

i luh yall

 

~keyz_locket