We Are What We Hide

Torn Apart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This class was undoubtedly the quietest. The contrast with the others was quite striking. And it did surprise me, at the beginning, to see those noisy terrestrials turning into obedient, almost scarily attentive students. As days passed, I finally came to the hypothetic conclusion that Earthians could easily be tamed : they were weak to good looks.

Indeed, our teacher  ̶  Kim Joonmyeon, as he said was his name ̶ possessed this kind of face that, apparently, didn't let womankind indifferent. Even the males seemed to be somehow attracted to his mysterious and incomprehensible – to me, at least – charisma.

Yet, I saw things differently. I did not know if I was simply immune to handsomeness or if my celestial nature played a role in my relatively indifferent reaction. Do not misunderstand, though, I could not deny the evidence. Obviously, I could not deny the fact that this young man was attractive. However, I was not bewitched by outward appearances like most of the persons currently surrounding me.

Thus, what struck my attention was not his dark blond hair nor his deep, brown eyes but rather his authentic gentleness and his surprisingly – yet admirable – pure heart.

He had been the one to welcome me on my first day. That is to say he was the first person I interacted with who was not Sangje. To say I was uncomfortable at the very beginning would be the understatement of the Century. I remembered how I had caught him frowning several times, frustrated at the exaggeratedly careful distance I had put between the two of us as he showed me around the building. A distance that I had unconsciously progressively decreased after a few hours spent in his company. He emitted that peaceful and caring aura that could make anyone willing to trust him. That's what I did. He was the only person I allowed myself to confide in, here, in this unknown world. I just hoped he would not make me regret my decision afterward.

Usually, I would allow my constantly tensed muscles to relax as soon as I would reach the secure spot of my seat. I would feel even safer when Mr. Kim would pass the door, filling the classroom with his reassuring presence.

Of course, today was not supposed to be an exception. I was not exactly familiar with exceptional events, to begin with. Living alone in an ivory tower, with nothing to do except observing was nowhere near a possible definition of what humans referred to as an « exciting experience ». It had been like this since my birth, though. I could not be blamed for not having wished it to be otherwise. One could not possibly desire what he did not know existed, after all. And I was far from imagining what kind of life was being led outside my own little bubble – or should I say prison ?

But there must have been a reason, right ? There must have been a reason why Sangje never let me roam the sky freely, as I had always wanted. I was the last one and I was perfectly aware that this was not something to be shouted from the rooftops, but…

In the end, my circumvoluted thoughts led me back to my prior source of worries : the evaluation which was about to take place in less than ten minutes.

At that thought, I surprised my heart painfully thumping against my ribcage, as if it had grown its own wings to escape the upcoming disaster.

People were not to know about my secret. They should never get involved in that it could end up really, really badly for them if they were to know what I was. I had always been safe while being by Sangje's side, but here was the thing : I was not anymore. And I was convinced this world held much more dangers than it seemed. Unknown ones, at that. That explained my distrust to almost everything and everyone. My entire surrounding could be a threat and easily take advantage of the still unfamiliar-with-this-brand-new-world me. It was my duty to be careful and keep the population away from any harm, mainly if I was the target.

The thing is Mr. Kim's earlier announcement only made my mission more complicated to achieve. No matter how hard I tried not to think about it, I could not help myself.

Today was not supposed to be an exception. Nonetheless, it was going to be the first I would encounter in what I liked to call the « beginning of my life ».

Today, I could not relax. Today, my seat did not seem that secure anymore.

Today, Mr. Kim's presence remained unable to soothe my worries.

A strange sensation began to invade my body, tightening my heart. I did not know how to call it. I was not even aware such a feeling existed since I never experienced it before. All I could say is that I did not like it. I did not like it at all, not even one bit. But unfortunately, there was nothing I could do to escape it.

This silent realization triggered something in me that I was scarily unable to stop. I was a calm, neutral, almost stoical-looking person. But not right now. My already wrecked mind kept drowning with unceasing questions with no answers. The minutes seemed to sweep by at the speed of light, each second confusedly blending in with the following one. I instantly sensed my muscles tensing up. My jaws clenched up together and I swore I have just seen my hands shaking on my lap. I could almost visualize the walls closing up on me ; trapping me within its small, suffocating space. The whispers echoed louder and louder in my mind. I felt dizzy. The world seemed to be turning, me into the depths of my own conscience.

The sudden sound of the desperate impact of my palms landing flat on the table – the only thing I could hold onto in an attempt to stop myself from drowning – resounded in the now dead silent classroom. Right at the moment, I could not care less about being at the center of all attentions. I was too busy with catching my panting breath to notice anything. Until I finally realized my standing position, just in front of my desk. No wonder why everyone was so shocked upon seeing me willingly interrupting the lesson. I would rarely talk unless I was required to. And even so, I purposely made my replies the shortest possible.

I quickly regained my composure.

« Please excuse my rudeness, but may I talk to you for a moment, Mr. Kim ? » I found myself asking, my voice steady despite still being unfamiliar with this alien language. I was making progress. A good thing since humans were apparently really attached to their voiced form of expression.

Mr. Kim did not seemed to be irritated by my unexpected interruption, his facial expression only gave away worry and genuine concern. Just like this, I knew he had succeeded in deciphering my rather expresionless expression.

A thing I had learned about him is that he was pretty observant. He was good at reading people and there was no doubt he had caught the alarmed sparkle in my eyes. He rarely asked questions for he was able to pinpoint their answers by himself, most of the times. He was not someone you could label as « curious ». Another trait of his personality I appreciated. In fact, the only thing he ever asked me was my name. Yes, my name. Crazy, isn't it ? A thing I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter