4

Woodwork

“Mr. Choi! Mr. Choi!” I puffed as I knocked on his classroom door, sweating and beyond exhausted. I had run all the way to the school, and had cursed when I had seen our car parked in the guest spots.

Mr. Choi t opened the door. Oh no. He was obviously unhappy, and his hair was messy like he had been running his fingers through it a lot. He must’ve known what was going on.

“Oh Taemin,” he said, rubbing his eyes with his hand. “I don’t need this right now.”

 I realised I didn’t know what to say to him. I had rushed over here without a plan. I was stuck for words.

“Um, Mr. Choi,” I began. “It really wasn’t me, Kai told them! He saw! I promise I didn’t tell anyone! I’m sorry!”

Mr. Choi shook his head. “I don’t even know what to say in this situation, Taemin. Everyone will think I’m some e teacher who molests young boys! I’m going to lose my teacher’s license! I can’t believe this.”

“No! You won’t!” I said desperately. “We’ll just tell the truth, and they’ll see that nothing is going on!”

“Taemin,” he said suddenly, grabbing my hands. “Do you want to go to Dunkin Donuts with me?”

“What?” I said dumbly.

“Taeminnie, I’m so stressed right now. I need to buy myself some coffee and donuts to get through the day, and I’m sure you want some donuts too, right? I’ll go through the drive-thru and we’ll be right back, I swear we won’t be 10 minutes.”

“Dunkin Donuts?” I repeated unsurely. “I’m not sure I can come with you.” 

“Of course you can,” he said. “I’ll bring you right back. I could just kill for a coffee now. What about you? I bet you love chocolate donuts. It’s gonna be so much fun.”

His bright brown eyes burnt into mine, like lasers telling me I couldn’t resist. Tendrils of fear started to wrap around my heart.

“No,” I said. “Mr. Choi, I don’t want to come.”

“I think you do Taemin, my sweetheart,” said Mr. Choi, reaching out to hold my shoulders to bring me into his chest. He lowered his face until our cheeks brushed, using one hand to the back of my head while running his hand down my back with the other, sending goosebumps of alarm down my spine. “Come with me to my car Taemin, it’s really cool. It goes really fast, and it’s so fun.”

All this time he had been slowly edging us toward the door, pushing me with him. I panicked.

“No!” I screamed, trying to break free from him. “No! Let me go, Mr. Choi!”

 

But he didn’t. My heart was pounding but I couldn’t think as his hands tightened on my wrists, stopping me from escaping.

“Let me go!” I yelled, trying to yank my arms free but he was stronger than I was.

“Taemin, you’re the cutest, most sweetest boy I have ever seen in my life,” he said, pulling me close to him again. “Don’t pretend you didn’t know it, you know you like me too. Stop fighting. Let’s go.”

I stared at his face, disgusted at him. I up all the saliva in my mouth before spitting in his face. He yelled and let go of my wrists for a second, where I quickly let go and kicked him in the privates before trying to run.

But he was blocking the only door of the classroom even as he was doubled over. There was nowhere I could run. I was so scared.  I wildly scanned the room. We were in a woodwork classroom. There had to be a weapon I could use. Come on come on come on, I rushed myself. Come on come on!

But I wasn’t thinking fast enough, because Mr. Choi grabbed my arm. I frenziedly shot out my hand, grabbing a machine that was stuck on the table which would anchor me down. I wrapped my other hand around it, determined to not let Mr. Choi take me away.

“Get your hands off that ing table saw Taemin,” snapped Mr. Choi. “Stop being silly. All I said was that we were going to Dunkin Donuts.”

I increased my grip on the table saw, wrapping my arms around it as he tried to yank me off. Mr. Choi was so scary now. I shouldn’t have come here! He was really was a e, and he was going to kidnap me. Maybe I had been too wrapped up in my loneliness to see it, or maybe I had and ignored it. He had been my only friend. He had been the only one nice to me. A tear rolled down my cheek.

He pushed me to try shake me off the machine but my knee bumped into something, and the table saw hummed alive. I jumped at the sound, watching the saw starting to rotate and slowly turn and turn and turn faster and faster and faster-

“Do you want your fingers to come off, Taeminnie? Come on, this is dangerous. Let go of the saw.”

I saw no hope.

I had to give up.

“That’s right. You don’t want to do this.”

Behind Mr. Choi were the windows where I could see the sky and the sun, and I wished again with all my might that I would get out of this, that it would be okay, since the sun was a gigantic star, or maybe even God’s face.

Movement caught my eye as heads walked past the window, and my eyes locked onto Jake’s surprised green ones.

 


 

.

“Jake!” I screamed. I let go of the table saw as I dove toward the door, startling Mr. Choi as he chased me again. He managed to grab the back of my shirt, yanking me down viciously so that I fell on the ground as I screamed. He leered above me.

“Get the off Taemin!” I heard Jake roar as the door banged open and people burst into the room.

“Jake!” I screamed again as Jake leapt toward Mr. Choi, grabbing him up and pushing him across the room, and everyone started shouting.

I sat on the ground hyperventilating harshly as my mother came rushing in, swooping down to where I was and encircling me in her arms. A whiff of her perfume and I was gone, sobbing as all the fear hit me.

“It’s okay, my brave boy, it’s okay,” she cooed in Korean, rocking us as I held onto her. “Umma’s here.”

Jake was suddenly with us, now holding onto me too. I realised I was shaking because he kept rubbing my arms, trying to calm me down.

“I’ve got you Taemin, you’re okay,” he repeated, and with every repeat of my name, with no stupid ‘buddy’ or ‘kid’ with it made me sob harder.

I opened my eyes a crack when I lifted my head to see what was going on. Through misty blur I spotted the principal and the vice principal with Mr. Choi. Kai and his mother are there, his mother on the phone and Kai looking straight at me, his mouth wide open in shock, or disbelief, I don’t know. It killed me that this stupid egghead was right. I buried my face into Jake’s chest and howled.

 

Mr. Choi got into the police car and I had to sit in the ambulance where they gave me an oxygen mask and an injection that made me calm down and go to sleep because I was crying too hard. Umma had to hold my hand and Jake kept talking to me quietly about going home and resting and that it was all over. That was embarrassing, but it felt better being embarrassed and safe than scared out of my mind and in danger.

 

 

A/N I'm really sorry, but I think you guys thought this story would be longer! But no, next chapter is the finale! 

 

Please tell me what you thouuughhtt!! Were you expecting this at all?

 

And don't forget to check out my other stories, which are way different to this one! Pure fanfiction, and no OCs like.. Jake. Except Jake is based off a real person, like I said. Friendfiction, but he's not my friend.

 

I still ing hate you, Jake.