3

Woodwork

I slowly trailed home from school after the worst and best day of my life. I hoped Kai wouldn’t tell anyone. No one would believe him anyway. He didn’t have the guts to tell anyone anyway.

Or so I hoped so.

I knew there was something wrong when there was a new car in the driveway along with Jake’s and my mother’s. Who could it be?

I tentatively opened the door, not wanting to disturb anything.

Four pairs of eyes from the couch turned to me.

My Umma’s. Jake’s.

A woman who looked remarkably like the boy sitting next to her.

Kai.

I gasped. “What are you doing here?” I yelled at Kai.

“Taeminnie, sit down,” said Umma, getting up and putting her arm around me, steering me to the couch and sitting me between her and Jake. For once, I didn’t mind having to sit next to Jake, as long as it wasn’t next to that stupid, idiotic slimeball who had to ruin my life all the fricking time.

Jake handed me a glass of juice and put his arm around me as I glared at Kai.

“What’s he doing here?” I said venomously.

“Taeminnie,” said my Umma hesitantly. “This is your friend Kai and his Mom, Mrs. Kim. Kai said he saw you with a teacher today. A Mr. Choi or someone?”

“He’s lying!” I shouted. “He’s not my friend! Kai always picks on me! He calls me names like ‘’ and ‘chicken boy’! He makes me give him my pocket money! I hate Kai, Umma, he’s trying to make my life hell! He’s lying! Believe me, Umma!”

Jake rubbed my back as my mother tried to shush me as I turned red from accusing Kai.

“Kai? Is that true?” asked his mother.

Kai had turned red as well. “I won’t anymore,” he mumbled, looking at his socks.

“Kai!” said his mother crossly. “I can’t believe you. Apologise to Taemin right now!”

“I’m sorry Taemin,” he said softly, not looking at me. “I won’t do it again.”

“Liar,” I breathed. “You stupid liar.”

“Taemin buddy,” said Jake, still rubbing my back. “It’s okay.”

“I think it might be good if we talk to him alone,” said my umma, smiling apologetically at Kai and his mom.

“Probably,” said Mrs. Kim. “I’m sorry for what Kai has done to Taemin. Don’t worry Taemin, Kai won’t do it again. I’m so sorry. Come on, Kai.”

I sat on the couch with my head in my hands as my mother led them out and waved goodbye, Jake sitting with me.

“Taemin,” she started as she joined us again. “Was what Kai said about Mr. Choi true though? This is important, aegi.”

“He’s just nice to me, Umma!” I pleaded. “He’s my friend! Mr. Choi has done nothing wrong!”

“But Taemin, Kai said that Mr. Choi calls you Taeminnie sometimes, and even called you sweetheart! He told us he saw you in his lap, and that he hugged you and kissed your head. Is that true?”

I was speechless. What could I say?

“I was just feeling sad,” I said in Korean. “He was cheering me up, Umma. Mr. Choi just likes me.”

I could tell Umma was getting mad because was pursed and her eyebrows were together. Jake was lost but he knew enough basic Korean that he understood I had said Mr. Choi liked me. I started crying again for the second time that day, and my Umma and Jake hugged me.

“I don’t think you should go to school tomorrow Taemin,” said my Umma.

“I’ll take the day off work,” said Jake soberly. “It’ll be okay Taemin. And if that Kai ever bothers you again I’ll wring his little chicken neck.”

“Jake!” my mother scolded.

In their embrace, I finally felt like we were maybe a family. I hesitantly leaned my head on Jake’s shoulder, and I think we were both a little surprised when he started my hair.

 

It was 1pm the next day and I was watching Dr. Phil when I saw Umma and Jake come down the stairs in sort of formal clothes.

“Where are you going?” I asked suspiciously.

“There’s snacks and fruit in the fridge if you get hungry Taemin,” said Umma. “We’ll definitely be back before dinner time, so don’t worry. Call us on our cellphones if something happens.”

“But where are you going?” I insisted.

“We’re going to the school,” answered Jake reluctantly.

“No!” I yelled. “Mr. Choi didn’t do anything wrong! He’s the only person who is nice to me! You can’t!”

“It’ll be over soon, I promise,” said Umma, as they walked out the door. “Bye baby. Love you.”

I stared out the window in disbelief as I watched them climb into the car, gave me a little wave and drove away. I had to stop them. This was not right. I ran out of the house, barely remembering to quickly lock the door as I sprinted toward the direction of the school.

 

 

A/N You guys, I think I should warn you that my story is actually quite short! It's only 19 pages on word, and it was still considered long by my professor and classmates because it was supposed to be a short story. So please don't be too disappointed! this story won't have much chapters.

 

Sorry for the short update this time too, but I want to drag it out a little bit hahaha.

Also interesting fact- Jake was named after this frat boy that my roommate slept with when I was in college in America. He was pretty hot. Like tanned buff brown hair hot. Although I got really irritated with him because he would come over at 2 am to sleep with my roommate and I was like >:/ I don't want to be here while yall are making out and I'm not sleeping somewhere else. Also he was a pack a day smoker and kept coughing all the ing time. you, Jake!

Thank god my roommate later found a boyfriend and stayed in his room instead. But then the boyfriend's roommate was ciled all the time poor guy!

Tell me what you think, comments are looovvee <3