Just Today

Just Today...

Junhee pov

14 February 2009

  In Jeollanam-do, you would be the most astounding person ever to just visit Seoul, let alone live there. Now I live in Seoul.. and I'm sitting in front of one of Korea's most beautiful rivers: Han river. Am I happy? Do I feel astounding? No.

   I won't lie, I've always wanted to go to Seoul just like everyone else. But nobody ever warned me that having a Jeolla accent would make me the laughing stock of the whole class. I wouldn't have minded if that was all they did: but they even went as far as to throw my table away on the second week of school, and today.. they tripped me, causing me to have an obvious bleeding scratch on my leg.

   Now I'm sitting on the bench near Han river, talking to myself like an idiot, liberating all my anger.

   "Yah! Do you think just because you're from Seoul, you're classy?!" I exclaimed to the serene Han river, who surely doesn't deserve this anger. "Just because you're from Seoul you're pretty?? I'm pretty too you know! Back in the country, I would receive presents everyday!" I screamed.

   "I'm rich too!" I continued. "Not only you city folks! My parents own the number 1 tteok-galbi shop in the whole of Korea! They even have branches in Seoul!!" 

   "Wah! Really?" a voice exclaimed.

   My eyes widened, wait.. what?? I thought shocked.

   I turned and saw a tall handsome boy of my age, standing there, with a grin plastered across his face.

   He looked at me, "No wonder you received presents everyday, you're really pretty," he grinned as he approached me.

   He offered his hand, "I'm Gong Chanshik, you can call me Gongchan," he smiled.

   I shook his hand awkwardly, "I'm Junhee," after a short silence, my shocked brain finally functioned properly. He was speaking with a Jeolla accent!

   "You're accent!" I exclaimed. 

   "You too," he chuckled as he looked down. He put on a slight frown.

   "Did they push you?" he asked.

   "How did you know?" I asked timidly.

   "The bloody scratch makes it pretty obvious," he said, as he put down his backpack.

   "It's fine, it won't kill me," I murmured.

   "But it will get infected," he said as he took out a small first aid kit, "Here it is," he mumbled.

   "Wow you're prepared... do you get cuts everyday?" I asked curious.

   "No, but my mom's a nurse so she wants me to be ready," he said as he gestured me to come closer.

   "It's okay," I exclaimed.

    Since I refused to come closer, he came closer to me instead and gently took hold of my leg as he cleaned the scratch up and lastly covered it with a bandage.

   "Thank you," I queitly said as he took hold of his backpack.

   "No problem," he grinned. "Same place tomorrow kay! I have to go!" he exclaimed as he ran away.

15 February 2009

   Yep, I came. I just.. I was curious if he would come or not, and it's not like I have anything better to do.

   "Yah! Sorry about yesterday, I had to take care of my brother, no one was at home," he exclaimed coming out of nowhere as he sat beside me.

   I slightly blushed, as his hands were around my shoulders.

   "Y-yah? I barely know you! Use honorifics!" I stuttered and pushed his hand away as I lightly hit his hand. 

   He pouted, then grinned, "Sorry, although it's been 3 years since I've been here, -since I was 10?- It's great to speak in Jeolla accent with another person freely again~"

 

17 August 2011

   I lied down on my bed, facing the ceiling. My eyes were red and puffy. I told my parents I was sick.. so it's been 2 days since I've been to school. Today's a Saturday.. so one more day off.

   I heard a knock on the door, and I groggily stood up. I proceeded to walk towards the door, and open it. Instead of my mom's concerned face, I saw Gongchan's face.

   My eyes widened as I tried to slam the door close, as I was still in my pajamas, "Yah!" I exclaimed.

   His foot was in between the door and the door frame. He looked at me, and I knew I would lose so I let him in. "Sorry, just.. are you okay?" he then said his face full of worry. Different from his usual whiny self.

   "I haven't seen you in 2 days, I thought you were off with your boyfriend, but then your mom said your sick," he said as he came closer and placed his hand onto my forehead.

   My face reddened at his touch.

   "Close the door," I sighed after I contemplated whether or not I should tell him or just drive him out.

   But, I decided to tell him anyway. "I know this is lame.. and I shouldn't cry.. but he..he broke up with me..."

   Tears started forming again and suddenly, I felt him embrace me. He patted my back, and we stayed like that the whole time. I cried, and he gave me comforting words. 

   That's when I knew, I fell for him... but he will forever be my friend. And nothing more.

23 July 2013

   I happily walked towards the familiar door, and rung the doorbell. I waited as I held the pack of food my mom told me to give to Mrs Gong.

   The door opened, and there she was, Mrs Gong; a middle aged woman, who had the typical ahjumma style hair, and looked quite young for her age. "Oh Junhee-yah! Come in! We'll be off after breakfast, come here and eat," 

   I bowed in response and gave her the pack of food, "Eommoni, my mom said this is for the journey," I smiled.

-----------------------------------

   When we arrived at Seoncheon, Jeollanam-do, I grinned starry-eyed. Although I live at Gwangju, another part of the province it's still nice to be here.

   I settled at Gongchan's room while he shared with his brother at his brother's room. When we were all settled we walked around meeting his old friends and the villagers. I loved how I felt so much at home even though its my first time, unlike my first encounter in Seoul, I thought bitterly.

   After a while, I decided to let Gongchan walk around -and talk to his friends, which is everybody- and I waited under a shade, since it's soo hot. I was completely jubilant of the hat my mom gave me for my birthday, it's amazing for shade, and also this checkered blouse is soo much better than the numerous cotton t-shirts I have.

   A man was walking around taking pictures, wow, I thought, a foreigner.  For some reason, the man was walking towards me. I blinked. There must be something behind me. Before I turned, the man spoke to me, "Hello, want I take a picture of you?" he said in broken Korean. 

   Baffled, I tried to get the right words out, then suddenly, I felt someone poke me and I tried not to laugh. I'm a very ticklish person, just a poke could make me laugh non-stop.

   I felt someone put their arm around my shoulder, and he made an okay sign. Without turning I knew who it was, Gongchan. Gongchan poked me again, and I stiffled a laugh and then 'click!' the man took a picture of us.

   The man took a picture of us.

   I was about to hit Gongchan, he knows I'm ticklish! But then the man approached us. "Here, it's pretty yes?" he grinned, and apparently it was those polaroid things and he gave us the picture.

   "You guys, boyfriend, girlfriend?" before I could process what he was trying to say; "No, but she will be," Gongchan exclaimed.

   The man nodded and asked for money. Gongchan paid him.

   Apparently he was those con people who took pictures to get money. Usually I would seriously punch him. But what Gongchan said... froze me.

4 March 2014

   It's been a few months since we've been dating, but instead of getting closer... we're drifting apart. 

   We don't talk as comfortably as before. Now it's much more awkward. Yeah he complains to me all the time, just like before, but.. now they're just empty words. They are just words to alleviate the awkwardness, I know because his complaints were always the same.

   Back when we were just.. friends, he always came on time, earlier even. And if he ever came late, he would give the most longest excuse, part of it was true and the other was just a huge exaggeration. And after his excuse speech, I would nag him and hit him.

   Now... he's always late. When he comes, he apologises and afterwards after my empty nagging, he begins his empty complaints. 

   Sometimes I wonder.. are we still friends? Or are we just strangers now? Why do we only speak of emptiness? Of something that's even less important than the talks we had before. Before, although it wasn't important... it was fun. 

   Now I'm waiting at the cafe we promised to meet at. He's late again.

     My friends told me to break up with him. Should I? But... I do love him. Ever since he comforted me.. even if I knew I had no chance.. I loved him. He's caring, especially to me. He's not those playboys or those people that are too nice to every single girl out there.. he was just nice to me. And he even treats my parents better than I do. 

  I ask myself; does my heart not race for him anymore? No. It still does. Everytime I think of him.. which is almost 24 hours a day. I know its cheesy, but what can I do when he's so handsome and nice? Everytime I think of him, I imagine a new Gongchan, mixed with his old playful-self. But that seems utterly surreal right now.

   How can I bring myself to break up with him? His smile brightens my day.. his jokes make me laugh and let me tell you, I don't laugh easily. Although now, he's not as funny as before.

   The door opened and there he was, he jogged towards me and grinned apologetically. "Sorry I'm late,"

   I looked at the watch.. he was 5 hours late. My eyes were red. "I forgot, I'm sorry," he said. See.. he doesn't even tell why anymore.

   I caressed his cheek. I felt my cheeks blush at the touch, and my heart raced. I still love him.

   I tiptoed and kissed him. My tears were streaming as I whispered, "I love you,"

Gongchan pov

   Junhee... the girl who amused me. The girl whom I met by chance when I decided to stroll through Han river. The girl who screamed; "I'm pretty too you know!!"

   Those very words stopped me in my tracks, one cause who says that about themselves? two, she spoke in a Jeolla accent.

   When she glanced at me, I was slightly taken aback, because she was beautiful. Not just pretty, but beautiful. That was the time I understood the term 'love at first sight'. 

   When I finally had the courage to ask her out, some guy beat me to it. So when they broke up... I was torn. I was happy cause I have a chance... but my heart broke seeing her cry. Thus delaying my confession to her.

   The girl who was my first love. And now... she's also the girl who took my first kiss.

   I know lately we've been growing apart, awkwardness sprouting everywhere. It's because I'm in a band now. She knows I like music, but I wanted to surprise her, the fact that I was in a band. But I regretted that decision completely since because of the so called surprise, we weren't as close as before. Now I'm going to tell her... through a song.

   Jinyoung hyung, the leader of the group wrote this song, on my first listen... I instantly knew I needed to perform it in front of Junhee.

Junhee pov

5 March 2014

   My friends still told me to break up with him.. they said he should've made the first move. But I don't care. I know I took his first kiss. But he loves me doesn't he?

   I sat at a cafe Gongchan told me our date was going to be at, the place was cool, it wasn't too crowded, but I wouldn't say it was empty. There was also a stage and the curtains were down.  I sipped onto my drink again.

    He loves me right? After the kiss.. he hugged me, just like that day I fell for him. He loves me too. He must love me. Doesn't he? I couldn't help but think twice.

   I checked the time. An hour passed. I sighed bitterly. 

  Does he love me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I1EpBj_A0Y (B1A4's Yesterday)

   Amidst the noisy cafe, I heard music playing. And as I sipped my drink, the curtains fell open.

   There were 5 chairs lined up, and 5 boys were on it wearing the same black clothes. They all had their heads down, except for one person, he sung, "Oooooh~ Oh~ Oh~"

Narrator.

I complained like always as if it’s a habit

The man sung, his voice is pretty good. Junhee thought as she tapped her foot to the beat. 

I was late to our meeting time like always

Gongchan looked at his feet nervously, Junhee-yah... I'm sorry.. again...I thought. 

On your two pretty eyes, your two white cheeks
the tears that flow on them, I’m becoming used to them

I hate seeing you cry, your red eyes break me... Gongchan thought as he listened to the lyrics, completely immersed.

Even yesterday, I didn’t know that I had a date with you
Oh you who waited endlessly
Instead of getting angry at me, who was really late, you kissed me

Junhee instantly looked up, why does this seem like yesterday? And that voice.. Gongchan? she thought. She then saw him singing he looked directly into her eyes.

Gongchan thought, thank you Junhee-yah.. for loving me. 

Yesterday on your lips that I still remember clearly
Just today I realized it now, I came to my senses

Just today, I know that you love me too, just today I found out that I'm hurting you, Gongchan thought.


Uh uh yeah yeah uh uh uh uh I love you tonight
I’ll definitely run to you tonight, hold you, and whisper love

Junhee instinctively quieted down.. as she listened to the lyrics. Does he really think that of me? Does he really love me? she thought.

Even if I try to talk kindly

Even if I try to not be late in replying back

Oh it isn’t as easy as I thought
Would you kiss me like last night
 

Junhee thought, is that really how you feel? 

Gongchan then whispered in his mind, would you kiss me again?

As if Junhee could hear his whisper, Yes she mouthed, causing Gongchan to smile in glee.

I don’t know how you thought of me
A man who moves fast?
I don’t know what I should say first
Shall we hold hands first?
The kiss mark that you left on me last night
All night long, I feel so good
I’ll go to your house before the sun rises
Sleep well, Aphrodite

The rap ended and the five men suddenly stood up, and Gongchan started walking towards Junhee.

Yesterday on your lips that I still remember clearly
Just today I realized it now, I came to my senses
Uh uh yeah yeah uh uh uh uh I love you tonight
I’ll definitely run to you tonight, hold you, and whisper love

Slowly he walked towards Junhee, with an apologetic smile on his face. As he arrived right in front of her, he kneeled on and wiped the tears that were flowing down Junhee's cheeks.

  I didn't know I was crying... Junhee thought.

uh uh yeah yeah uh uh uh uh the sweet night
I want to go back oh again like yesterday uh

Yesterday on your lips that I still remember clearly
Just today I realized it now, I came to my senses
Uh uh yeah yeah uh uh uh uh I love you tonight
I’ll definitely run to you tonight, hold you, and whisper love

As the song ended, he smiled and whispered, "I love you,"

  Junhee turned surprised, she instantly looked him in the eyes, trying to confirm this new information.

  Gongchan then grinned, "I'm late, will you kiss me again?"

   Junhee slightly laughed, and rolled her eyes and before she could even respond, "If not, I'll do it myself," Gongchan exclaimed and kissed her.