False

Changed Forever

               “I’m not going back. Why can’t you all just respect that?” Kyuhyun huffed as he, Siwon, Kibum, and Hangeng all sat around in his condo’s main living room, Sunhee already asleep in one of the four bedrooms the unit possessed.

              “Because you can’t just leave like that.” The eldest argued “Think about Sungmin and what you’re doing to him.”

              “What about what he did to me?” Kyuhyun fired back. “He wanted me gone, so I left, He probably didn’t even care I was gone.”

              Both Siwon and Kibum shifted uncomfortably at how true his assumption had been, but they didn’t speak, knowing any confirmation would make the situation worse than it already was.

              “Jinsang then? I understand you’re angry with Sungmin, but your son shouldn’t suffer because of that. Don’t you think he deserves to have a father?”

              “I do. But Sungmin doesn’t believe I’m the right father.”

              “Who cares what Sungmin thinks!?” Kibum interjected. “Jinsang is YOUR son whether Sungmin likes it or not. He shares half of your DNA, so you have as much right to see him as he does.”

              Kyuhyun remained silent, glaring stubbornly at the floor like a child. He understood what they were trying to say, but didn’t believe they entirely understood his situation. Of course he wanted to be with his son, he loved him, but he also understood what it was like to grow up with parents who fought all the time. He hated it when he was a child and didn’t want his own son to grow up to that. He would be better off with one parent that loved him, than he would with two who were constantly at each other’s throats.

              “If I may…” Siwon began, everyone’s attention diverting to the guard who had remained mostly silent since they’d stepped through the front door almost an hour before. “Sungmin’s situation is…Complicated, he didn’t exactly have the best childhood. Growing up wasn’t easy for him, and he doesn’t trust many people now because of it.”

             “So what? You’re saying he doesn’t trust me? We dated for six years! He had my child! How could he not trust me after all we’ve been through?”

             “Not exactly. He’s just wary of…well, everyone. In his mind, no one is truly honest, which is partly true. Many people can easily over look flaws in the ones they love simply because they love them…but with Sungmin, it’s the complete opposite. All he sees are their flaws, that’s why every relationship he’s ever been in has never lasted more than a few months, aside from yours of course. You’re the first person he’s ever said I love you to, and I believe that despite all that’s happened recently he still does, he’s just confused. His whole life every time something became overwhelming, he’d just force it out of his presence. That’s what he tried to do with you, and you let him.”

             “It’s not like I didn’t try to fix thing!” Kyuhyun defended, “What was I supposed to do? Corner him and force him to trust me?”

             “Well…It may seem a bit absurd…but yes.” Siwon chuckled a bit. “He wanted reassurance that you loved him, and that you’d always be there. He was abandoned a lot growing up, and by giving up and leaving, which is essentially what you did, you became no better than all the people that did the same thing to him as a child.”

              “How was I supposed to know that?!” Kyuhyun exclaimed as he buried his face in his hands. “He’ll never want me around now anyways…”

              “If you do what I just told you, you may have a chance.” Siwon assured.

              “That’s insane…” the youngest trailed.

              “Do you love him?”

              “…Yes”

              “And you want him back?”

              “Yes.” He replied more firmly.

              “Then that is what you have to do.”

              They were all silent for a few moments as they allowed Siwon’s words to sink in, before Hangeng spoke.

              “How do you even know all of this?” he asked curiously.

              “Because they used to be buddies” Kyuhyun responded bitterly before the guard had even opened his mouth to answer.

              “What!?” both Hangeng and Kibum exclaimed, the former in shock, while something akin to jealousy flashed in the younger’s gaze.

              “We dated…” Siwon grumbled, glare fixed on the maknae who rolled his eyes. He could see the angered look his lover was shooting him from the corner of his eye.

              That was when Hangeng decided to call it a night. “Well, I think we should continue this tomorrow. We’re all tired and should get some sleep.” He suggested, standing and stretching, before nodding at Kyuhyun who stood quickly and grumbled goodnight to all of them before disappearing into the hallway to head to his room.

                The eldest quickly followed and entered the room he and his daughter had claimed at the end of the hall.

                She sat up the moment her father set foot inside the door, too afraid in the unfamiliar surroundings to go to sleep by herself.

                “Sunhee… I told you too to go to bed.” He sighed as he closed the door behind. him.

                “I did.” She replied stubbornly, tiny fists rubbing at her eyes.

                “I meant go to bed AND sleep.” He chuckled.             

                “Is Uncle Kyu coming back with us?” she asked hopefully, changing the subject.

                Hangeng shrugged as he sat down on the large bed beside her. “I don’t know. I really hope so.” He told her, and the girl nodded, lying down again to sleep once her father finally did as well.

 

                Out in the living room, the atmosphere was tense, both Siwon and Kibum sitting, unmoving, in the same places the other’s had left them in.

                “So you and Sungmin…dated?” Kibum asked at last, nearly choking on the last word.

                “Yes…but it wasn’t really serious.”

                “So you were buddies!” Kibum accused, a bit angrily.

                “N-No! Well… no, it was…casual.” Siwon fished for the right word.

               “Do you still find him attractive?”

               “What? No! It was years ago! Long before you showed up! I love YOU.” He assured, pulling the younger closer on the couch  and nuzzling into his neck.

           Kibum rolled his eyes. “Mmhmm…” he hummed, still not convinced, even though he realized he probably had no real reason not to be. He sighed as Siwon’s arms curled around his waist, and leaned back against him to let him know he wasn’t upset, well, too upset anyways.

          Siwon, sensing the younger relax a bit, kissed a short trail from his neck up to his ear. Biting the lobe softly, he whispered “So, only you’re allowed to see me ?”

           Kibum flushed a light shade of red, recalling the words he’d spoken to Siwon to keep him from shifting on the street earlier that day, and immediately scooted away from the older, glaring. “Forget it. Go strip on the balcony for all I care.” And with that he stood and dashed around the couch, hoping to make it to the hallway before Siwon even realized he was running.

           Siwon chuckled  as he leapt over the back of the couch, immediately catching up to the younger and staying hot on his heels the entire way to their barrowed bedroom, the door slamming and locking behind them.

       ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~

        Zhoumi glanced up from the notes he was currently writing at his desk when a nurse stepped into his office, looking just a bit distraught.

        “Sir, its Donghae.” The man bowed, and Zhoumi stood at just the mention of his favorite protégé.

        “What’s wrong? Is he ok?” the doctor asked. Donghae was definitely high on his priority list after all that had happened to him before. He was hoping it was something small, but worried that that probably wasn’t the case.

        “He thinks he’s in labor but…”

        “But? Is there reason to believe that he’s not?”

         “Well…The contractions are sporadic, the closest within a minute of each other, and the farthest around two, but-”

         “What? Why didn’t you get me sooner?” He questioned, hurrying out into the hall.

         “They only showed up a few minutes ago. He said he’s been having them for about twenty minutes, and they aren’t intense either. He says their just a little uncomfortable, but with how frequent they’ve become, he should be in agony by now…”

          He slowed just feet away from the door that led to Donghae’s room.

         “So, Taehyung, what is your diagnosis?” Zhoumi asked, turning to face the nurse.

         “Well….I’m sorry I can’t recall the name sir, but I believe he’s experiencing false contractions.”

         “Alright, so what do you suggest we do?” the doctor probed.

         “Explain to him what is really happening and then keep him a few hours for observation, just in case.” The boy answered.

         “Excellent. However, I suggest you study up on some of the terms listed in that book I gave you.”

         “Of course.” The nurse bowed, before hurrying off back to his post, and leaving Zhoumi to deal with their newest patient.

           He waited a few moments, ridding himself of the slight fear he garnered since hearing of Donghae’s arrival, before entering the room and finding Donghae, Eunhyuk, and one of his nurses all gathered within.

          The former of the three looked terrified, the wetness on his cheeks a telltale sign he’d been crying, and Eunhyuk appeared merely worried for his lover, Donghae’s hand clasped comfortingly between both of his own.

          “Hae, how are you feeling?” Zhoumi asked as he stepped inside and immediately dismissed the nurse to speak to the couple alone.

          “I think there’s something wrong.” Donghae immediately panicked. “I haven’t felt him kicking, and now this! What if the same thing happens? I can’t go through that again.” He began sobbing, Eunhyuk immediately enveloping him in a warm hug to calm him.

          “How are your contractions?” the doctor asked, coming to a stop on the other side of the bed, across from Eunhyuk.

          “Not that bad.” He sniffled, wincing when Zhoumi pressed rather hard on the area directly beneath the swell of his stomach. “But I think they might be getting worse, and they aren’t as close together but-”

          “Donghae…” the doctor sighed, resting a hand on the younger’s forearm “I need you to calm down before you send your baby into distress.” He instructed the younger to take a few deep breaths, and waited for him to do so before asking, “When was the last time you felt a contraction?”

          “A few minutes ago.” Eunhyuk answered for him, his eyes not once leaving his lover.

          “Alright, and when was the last time you experienced a severe one?”

          “I- I don’t know… it was a while ago…” Donghae trailed.

          Zhoumi’s smile was small. “Hae, you know what this is.” He sighed “They’re false contractions and they’re tapering off.”

          “N-no but…but…”

          “I’m telling you the same thing you’ve told countless patients before, and I know you believe what I’m saying. That being said, I also understand that you’re scared-”

          “If they aren’t real then why isn’t he moving?”

          “He’s probably just resting.” Zhoumi assured. “There’s no way he’s moving all the time, you’d probably go insane if he was.”

          “Yah…” Donghae nodded, reluctant to admit that the opposite was actually true, that every time his baby stopped moving he wanted to cry until he started again, praying that it wouldn’t end like last time.

          “Alright.” Zhoumi beamed “We’ll keep you here for observations, just for a few hours, ok?” and when the couple voiced their compliance, he moved to exit the room, patting Donghae lightly on the shoulder as he passed, and nodding at Eunhyuk before he shut the door, leaving the two alone.

          “Hae…” Eunhyuk began, immediately noting the tears that had begun forming in his lovers eyes. The moment he wiped one away, Donghae began sobbing.

          “I thought it was over!” he cried, “I thought we would finally be able to hold him in our arms, and I wouldn’t have to worry anymore about something going wrong.”

          “I thought you were scared that it was too early?”

          “I was but…Yesung’s girls, and the twins as well were born around this time, and they’re all perfect. Our baby could be too.”

          “I know, Hae.” He cooed, sitting on the edge of the bed and pulling his lover against him, shushing the younger quietly as he cried into his shoulder. “I know it’s scary, but now he has even more time to grow and get stronger, right?” he asked, but the younger didn’t respond.

          All the older could do was stare blankly at the wall, and comfort Donghae, wishing he could do more as he understood how stressful this must be for him, but he knew nothing would get better until they could finally hold their baby safe in their arms.