Final

Dumb and dumber

Dumb and dumber

 

Baekhyun liked to think Chanyeol knew everything. When they first met, back in their last year of kindergarten, Chanyeol left such an impact on Baekhyun that the two became inseparable.

“Hey, do you know what comes after eleven?” a small five-year-old Baekhyun asked his big-eyed classmate while the teacher wasn't looking.

“Yeah, it's twelve,” Chanyeol answered confidently.

“Oh, thanks. How do you know that?” the smaller wondered curiously.

“My mommy said so”, the other boy replied matter-of-factly.

“Do you know all the numbers?”

“Yes.”

Baekhyun openly gaped at him for a full minute.

“You must be a genius!” he then exclaimed in amazement.

Baekhyun didn't have any interest in his classmate before, but from that day on, he started following the poor boy everywhere he went, not that Chanyeol was complaining. He thought Baekhyun was very funny, and enjoyed talking to him. This day marked the beginning of a long, long friendship.

 

 

Several years later, Baekhyun was still short, although taller than when he first talked to Chanyeol obviously, and still thought that his best friend knew everything. They were now in high school and Chanyeol was known as “the smart kid”, or “the nerd”. Baekhyun had been a bit right when he had said he was a genius. Chanyeol didn't like to be called by that term, but he couldn't deny that he was indeed a top-student. His best friend liked to by asking the most difficult questions (according to him).

“Hey, Yeol, why is the sky blue?” Baekhyun asked, thinking that he would really trick him this time.

“It's simple really,” Chanyeol began without missing a beat, adjusting his glasses on his nose. “I don't understand why people think it's such a hard question, it's all due to Rayleigh scattering, blue light is scattered in all direction by the tiny molecules of air in Earth's atmos-”

“You're no fun”, Baekhyun cut him before he got lost in the soon-to-be long- explanation, disappointed in his failure.

“You asked,” the taller glared at him.

“Yeah, but I was pretty sure you didn't know the answer to that one”, Baekhyun mumbled, disgruntled.

“I know everything,” his best friend jokingly stated.

I know you do, Baekhyun thought and sighed. And he wondered if there was a single thing Park Chanyeol didn't already know.

 

-

 

“Seriously, why are you so tall? Is it because of your brain? Does it need a lot of space so it can grow bigger? Or is it because you like making me feel small?” Baekhyun suddenly asked out-of-the-blue in the middle of their study session.

“Baekhyun, will you just shut up for one second? I'm trying to work,” Chanyeol snapped.

“Right, work. You always work. When was the last time we actually did something other than study together?” the older whined.

“You know we have finals coming up.” the younger, but taller, reminded him, sighing.

“Yeah well, I don't give a rat's about finals,” he huffed and crossed his arms stubbornly.

“You should. Your grades are less than lovely,” Chanyeol told him without even raising his eyes from his chemistry book.

“ you, Park Chanyeol, not everyone can be Mr. I-have-As-in-every-subjects. In fact, you're the only one in this school.” Baekhyun stated bitterly.

“If only you actually studied instead of playing games on your phone when you think I'm not paying attention...” Chanyeol suggested, biting his lower lip because he didn't want to offend the other.

“That's enough, you sound like my mother,” Baekhyun rolled his eyes.

“Maybe she's right.”

“Whatever.”

It was Chanyeol's turn to roll his eyes at his best friend's childish behaviour.

“What's gotten into you, Baek?” he sighed, putting down his pen.

“Nothing. I'm just bored because you won't play with me,” the stubborn male replied, looking away.

“I agreed letting you come tomy house because you promised we would study seriously.”

“But Yeol, come play...” Baekhyun requested with what he hoped was an adorable pout.

Was Chanyeol supposed to think whiny Baekhyun was really cute? He chuckled.

“Okay, you kid.” He finally gave up.

They closed their textbooks (well, Chanyeol did, Baekhyun hadn't even opened his), sat together on the floor, and grabbed their controllers. Baekhyun quickly grabbed a random race game from his collection and clicked start. After a few minutes, they were already shouting loudly at each other, complaints such as “Hey, that's not allowed! Cheater!”, or “Our friendship is over” filling the room.

“Okay, I give up,” Chanyeol let go of his controller, admitting his defeat.

“Aw, poor you, can't keep up with my amazing playing skills?” Baekhyun wiggled his eyebrows smugly.

“Yeah, that must be it,” the taller pouted.

While Baekhyun was laughing mercilessly at his best friend, Chanyeol not-so-discreetly peered at him. He watched how his eyes would turn into tiny crescents, and how he would widely open his mouth to let his loud, obnoxious laughter out. So pretty. Wait, what? Chanyeol thought. I must be tired.

“Stop laughing and come sleep, I'm exhausted,” he said, turning away from the triumphant Baekhyun to try and calm his racing heart.

“Already? But it's only 10pm!” his friend exclaimed.

“My house, my rules.”

“Dictator,” Baekhyun muttered under his breath.

They both changed into their pyjamas (if you can consider sleeping with your tee on a pyjama), and moved to the bed after Baekhyun had switched the lights off. Chanyeol, who had earlier stated his need to get some rest, couldn't seem to close his eyes. He had always been more sensible to his surroundings than others, and although the proximity with his best friend had never bothered him before, he was currently hyper-aware of the touch of Baekhyun's leg against his own. The smaller one was already drifting to sleep (although he was the one who claimed it was too early). His eyelids were fluttering as he began to fall asleep, and Chanyeol was mesmerized by the movement he could barely discern in the darkness. He had always admired Baekhyun's eyes, they were such a smooth brown, whereas he thought his own were too big and wide for his face. But Baekhyun's... They were perfect. As was the rest of his face, now that he thought about it. He really had a handsome best friend. Wait, but it's not like it mattered. Personality first, right? Still, Baekhyun was perfect on almost every aspect.

 

-

 

After several weeks and frequent episodes of racing heart and rising body temperature, Chanyeol decided to do some research, in case it happened to be some kind of dangerous illness. He had looked up the symptoms on the internet, and asked people about it on forums and all he got was “you're in love, man”. In love? Ridiculous. With his best friend? No way. Another website had said he had a bad case of flu, and he chose to believe it. Maybe Chanyeol had always had the best grades, but when it came to social things, he was the biggest noob. Therefore, he took the naïve decision of asking Baekhyun about it.

 

“Wait, are you serious? You really have no idea?” Baekhyun asked incredulously, while sitting cross-legged on Chanyeol's couch.

The older one was staring at him like he had grown three heads. Perhaps asking Baekhyun wasn't such a good idea, he realised. Chanyeol groaned and shook his head, embarrassed.

“It's because you like me, you idiot.”

“… What? I-I do?”, Chanyeol asked, sporting the dumbest awestruck expression on his handsome features.

“Yes. But it's alright, I like you too,” he grinned.

Chanyeol stared at him dumbly.

“Silly Yeol”, Baekhyun laughed before eventually pecking him on the lips.

 

Maybe Chanyeol didn't know the answer to everything, after all.

 

 

1278 words.

A/N: WHAT A RUSHED ENDING, OTL. Yeah so I'm so sorry, we don't actually know Baekhyun has feelings for Chanyeol and then he kisses him, that makes no sense, ikr. Also it's my first time writing something in English, this isn't my native tongue so if you see any mistakes or things that need improvement, please, do tell me.

I hope you liked this little Baekyeol drabble! I'll hopefully see you soon with another story!

Comments are appreciated ^.^

 

/!\ EDIT: story edited on 29/07/16.