Episode 3: Falsely Framed

Gokusen 2 - Unspoken Feelings

Episode 3: Falsely Framed

A few days have passed since 3D accepted Ryu back into the group, the boy couldn’t be more happy. Ara High stopped bothering Kurogin ever since Yankumi confronted them, Takeda was forgiven by the rest of his classmates, and Yabuki once again was Ryu’s best friend and the co-leader of the class. Everything seemed to be like it was previously in the past. Well, almost everything; even though Odagiri spent most of his time with his friends, he had not forgotten about Mitsui Yue. The woman was interesting, just like Yamaguchi… only the teacher was way more annoying.

After the fight with Ara, Ryu met Yue only once – the meeting was short and Ryu hasn’t said much, but there was no need to report anything. The moment Ryu came inside the shop, Yue smirked at him and congratulated on dealing with the opposing school. He was a little surprised, but quickly understood that it was highly possible that the girl had heard or seen something. After all, she was quite well informed about many things.
 

* * *


Ryu walked slowly towards school, his school-bag carelessly thrown over his shoulder, his other hand was tucked in the pocket of his pants. Like always the boy ignored his surroundings, engrossed in his own thoughts. He stopped in his steps only after hearing a familiar voice shouting behind him.

“Ryuuuu~” The boy turned around to see his friends waving at him.

“Take…” The redhead spoke quietly and nodded at the smaller boy who skipped towards him happily, followed by the rest of the group with Hayato at the front who greeted him with his famous rabbit sign.

“Yo!” Hyuuga greeted Ryu with a smile and Tsucchi slumped his arm over the redhead’s shoulders.

“What’s up, Ryu? You were so out of it that you didn’t even see us. Any girl in mind?” The tallest teased, but Ryu only shrugged his arm off with a scowl. The rest chuckled. Tsuchiya backed off; even though Odagiri wasn’t usually up for fights, he was still really strong. While in the bad mood, the redhead was scary and extremely dangerous; Tsucchi didn’t want to risk getting punched by him.

“Oi, guys!” Hayato exclaimed catching attention of his friends. “We’re skipping today’s classes.” The boy ordered, Ryu raised an eyebrow in question. It’s not like he was really eager to go to school, but his attendance was rather low and he didn’t want to have to repeat a year.

“Eh? It’s not like I’m against it, but why so suddenly?” Take asked.

“We haven’t welcomed Ryu back yet! Not to mention that Ara High is finally off our backs. We need to celebrate it!”

The redhead rolled his eyes at his friends’ enthusiasm – they were all cheering loudly. Nevertheless, he let himself be led away towards the park. He knew that even if he said ‘no’, the guys would either go alone or find a way to drag him with them. Why should he make it more troublesome by arguing with them?
 

* * *


Ryu was walking next to his friends who were talking enthusiastically; they were obviously enjoying themselves. Take was skipping happily, Hyuuga was describing some girl he met a day before, Tsucchi was fanning himself and listening to the smaller boy, while Hayato was mostly listening and, from time to time, interrupting Hyuuga’s monologue. Ryu was silent but no one really seemed to mind; the redhead had always preferred to observe anyways.

Suddenly, Take ran towards one of the trees and waved to the rest of the group so that they would follow him. Hayato looked at Ryu, but the boy only shrugged before speeding up to catch up to Take. Stopping next to the younger boy, he looked up in the direction Take was pointing at. Tangled on the branch, was a white-yellow kite. If Ryu wasn’t wrong, and he rarely was, it was in quite good shape.

While the guys were trying to get the kite down, the redhead looked around searching for a possible owner. Despite his status as a delinquent and co-leader of 3D, Ryu wasn’t like his friends; he wasn’t selfish. Well, Yabuki and the rest weren’t exactly selfish but when they found things they often tend to forget that the item could belong to someone else. Such situations showed that Ryu was more mature than the rest and more sensitive and caring for people around him. Of course even if someone saw it, and Yabuki or Takeda were rather smart at times, the person wouldn’t say a word. Ryu’s punches weren’t the lightest after all.

Finally, Tsuchiya knocked the kite out of the tree. Immediately, Hyuuga and Take moved to check it for possible holes. Just like Ryu had predicted, the kite was not damaged; and after looking around, he didn’t find anyone who looked like they were missing the kite. Shrugging his shoulders, Ryu made his way towards a clearing where the two boys could play with the flying toy while he, Hayato, and Tsucchi could just lay down and relax. The boys followed him without a word, too used to the redhead’s antics.

Ryu was lying on the grass watching the dark clouds that were floating slowly in the sky. Hayato decided to lay next to his best friend, he always wondered what Odagiri was thinking about; he was sure that he knew him very well but the latest issue showed Yabuki that there are still parts of Ryu that he didn’t understand. So maybe watching the sky will help him understand the boy better?

Suddenly both leaders sat up with startled expressions on their faces. They looked around in shock, searching for the source of weird vibes that came to them. Ryu couldn’t help but feel tense about the uncomfortable feeling.

“Just now…” the boy started and Hayato looked at him; since the redhead rarely spoke, Yabuki learned that when Ryu said something, it was usually important. He ignored this rule once and he had regretted it. “I felt a chill up my spine.” Hayato nodded completely freaked; Ryu always had acute senses, it was better to follow his instincts.

“You two probably just caught a cold.”

Tsuchiya spoke to them from his spot, lying on his side and fanning himself. The two boys looked at him and Hayato nodded, preferring the tallest boy’s explanation than his best friend feelings. Ryu wasn’t so sure about the cold thing but hearing Tsucchi’s loud sneeze he decided that maybe, just maybe, the boy was right and it really was just the beginning of the flu.
 

* * *


They played and relaxed in the park for a few more hours, avoiding policemen that were patrolling around and looking for ditching school students. One would think that it’s a hard job to avoid them, but 3D students not only had years of practice but also knew most of the routes the policemen took during their patrols. Sometimes hiding behind one of the trees was enough to become invisible to the men that hadn’t even thought of changing their routes during patrol.

The boys were walking towards one of the fountains. Since most of the students, while going home, passed by the place that also meant that girls from Momo High frequented it as well. Being young guys, Hayato, Tsuchiya and Hyuuga, decided that the best way to spend their free time was to pick up girls. Take happily followed the trio but in contrary to them, he wanted to find a girlfriend and have stable relationship instead of competing over who’s going to get more phone numbers. Ryu just walked at the back, uninterested.

The redhead leaned on one of the trees while his friends stood a few steps further, waiting for the coming home girls. Meanwhile, they discussed about types of girls they liked.

“She should have nice, not too big not too small s, you know the one that you can easily grab,” Tsucchi said while fanning himself with a lopsided grin.

“I prefer them with nice backsides, hmm~” Hyuuga started daydreaming.

“She should know how to shake her hips and have long legs,” Hayato added, wriggling his eyebrows suggestively and smirking.

“I want her to be sweet and kind.” Take smiled at the image of his perfect girlfriend while the rest looked at him weirdly before laughing loudly. After a moment of teasing comments, Hayato looked at his best friend standing a meter or two away.

“What about you, Ryu? What’s your type?” Take asked, Yabuki snorted.

“Yeah, like he has a type. He doesn’t even go with us on a group date.” Take shrugged his shoulders but the question, or rather the answer, made the four friends look oddly at the redhead. Odagiri only raised his eyebrow he had no intention answering but when the guys didn’t give up, the boy sighed and said the first things that came to his mind.

“Dark hair, nice smile… more mature than you.”

Ryu smirked, bemused by the guys shocked expressions – not only because they got an answer from the usually silent boy, but also because he called them immature. Well, he was actually right but the sentence wounded the gang’s pride. Before the guys could start protesting, they were interrupted by a couple standing next to the bench some meters away from them. Normally you wouldn’t hear them from such distance but a woman suddenly raised her voice, looking angrily at her partner.

“You idiot! You promised me and what?! You were fired again!”

“I wasn’t fired you stupid woman! I quit myself. Those pansies ordered me to work until 9 for the same salary. I have better things to do than working my off at this hour!”

“Yeah, like smoking and getting wasted with your ‘friends’. Or maybe you just want to meet with those es that you claim are ’only old acquaintances of mine’? Do you think I don’t know that you’re screwing them behind my back?!” the woman yelled, completely ignoring her surroundings.

“You’re not a saint yourself! After all it was you screaming ‘harder, harder!’ when that boss of yours was ing you senseless in our bed!” the man lit a cigarette while the woman opened in shock.

“You… you…”

“Stop stuttering, darling. And close your mouth, I don’t really feel like doing it now but you can always go to that sissy. I bet he will take you up on the offer,” the man said with a smirk not hiding the meaning of his words.

“Argh…!” the woman was fuming angrily, her hands turning into tight fists. “Whatever you jerk! What are you planning to do now? It was your third job this month!” The man just shrugged his shoulders and threw his cigarette carelessly on the ground.

“I will find something but…” he smirked and took out an envelope showing it to the young woman.

“What’s that?” even though she asked, her eyes were sparkling knowingly.

“Let’s say that I took what they owed me for this job.”

“You didn’t?” she asked disbelieving but smiling.

“Oh, I did. So…” the man moved closer and pulled the woman by her waist. “What do you say we go and spend it on something enjoyable?” the woman giggled and brought her arms around his neck.

“You read my mind, honey.” She kissed him before pulling her head back a little and asking with a pout. “But what with... you know. I don’t want to be disturbed~,” the woman whined.

“Don’t worry. We will just send that brat away for the night. It’s not like we didn’t do that before.” The man rolled his eyes and the woman grinned.

They pair started walking away, loudly laughing. The woman squeaked when her partner slapped her playfully but clung to his arm afterwards looking like a lovesick puppy. Ryu and the gang were looking at the scene with disgust – maybe weren’t the nicest guys on Earth, but the couple’s behavior was just sick.

Hayato, Tsucchi, Take and Hyuuga forgot about the pair the moment girls came into the view. They were observing them and trying to ask some of them out. They were mostly unsuccessful since the girls were rather scared of them, seeing silver badges of Kurogin. Of course, Kurogin was one of better schools in Tokyo, but it was more known for the fact that Kurogin’s 3D class was full of impertinent delinquents.

Ryu, on the other hand, observed the couple until he lost the sight of them. If he understood correctly, the pair had a child or lived with someone who could walk on them by accident. He wasn’t sure what they wanted to do with the money but he was guessing it was something illegal or inappropriate. He pitied the mentioned ‘brat’, especially if it really was a kid. The youngster surely didn’t have an easy life with such people by his side.
 

* * *


It was slowly getting darker. The boys, who became bored again, went to the nearest playground and relaxed on monkey bars. Hyuuga was lazily swinging his legs, Hayato was biting on a piece of straw he picked up earlier, Take observed the passersby and Tsuchiya, like always, was fanning himself. Ryu just stood still on the side watching his friends.

Geez… they always want to skip but at the end they don’t even know what they want to do. Tsk!

The redhead looked at Hayato, hearing a soft sound of rustling clothes, and narrowed his eyes just slightly. Yabuki was up to something or at least considered doing something stupid – his eyes were slightly unfocused and shining with hidden mischief. Ryu didn’t like that kind of gaze - it mostly meant troubles.

“Guys, we’re going.” Yabuki suddenly stood up and looked at his classmates.

“Where?” Take asked curiously.

“I’m bored. Let’s find some nerd and borrow money from him so we can play pool or something.”

Hayato smirked and the rest followed him eagerly. Ryu only rolled his eyes deciding that it would be better to have an eye on them. The redhead wasn’t exactly into stealing or ‘borrowing’ money, like the guys used to say, but he preferred to tag along to make sure that they won’t do something even more stupid or dangerous. Of course, Ryu could just simply give them the money – he was rich after all – but they always declined his offer saying that they would never let their friend pay for them. But getting some random guy to pay for you is okay, huh? Those idiots… Even if it wasn’t exactly fair, Ryu felt warm spreading inside him just by thinking about it – the guys were lovable even if they would beat him up for saying it out loud.
 

* * *


While walking out of the park, the gang saw one of Kurogin’s 3A students, Honda, pulling a bike next to his side. They stopped immediately and Ryu stared at his friends – Hyuuga’s and Tsucchi’s eyes were sparkling with interest and, without further thinking, they walked up to the boy, grinning widely. The redhead rolled his eyes knowing perfectly well what’s going on his friends’ minds. Next to him, Hayato smirked and Take just smiled awkwardly.

Ryu sighed and started walking away. Even though, Ryu still didn’t exactly gain back his previous status as a co-leader, both Hayato and Take didn’t have a problem with following their friend without a question. Soon, Hayato and Take passed Ryu who slowed down on purpose. He wasn’t fond of having people walking after him. It made him uneasy; he couldn’t see who was behind him so he didn’t know their reactions and expressions.

When the three friends were passing the bridge, they heard the mixed voices of Hyuuga and Tsucchi.

“Hey, hey, out of the way!”

Ryu looked behind himself, Hayato turning his head seconds later. Despite such short time difference, Ryu needed to take a single step to the right to avoid being run over while Hayato had to quickly jumped away. Take, who hadn’t seen the bike to the last seconds, was lucky enough to avoid it but the guys startled him a little.

When the duo passed by their friends, Hayato tried to stop them. Ryu wasn’t really sure if to ride the bike himself or to punch them for almost killing him. The thought that Hayato might actually just wanted to stop them so they wouldn’t get into trouble never even crossed his mind, even when they saw a cop stopping nearby.

“Hey, you guys, get off! No double riding on a bike!” the guy called out to them.

Hyuuga opened his mouth in shock while Tsuchiya had a faced visibly showing that he wanted to run away. Instead of getting of the bike, Hyuuga sped up, trying to lose the cop. What he didn’t predict, the cop to follow them in quick steps and asking other policemen for help.

“Wait there!” the guy shouted after the duo but panicked Hyuuga didn’t slow down.

“No, no! Don’t do that!”

Another policeman came from the other part of the bridge, trapping the guys in the middle. They quickly got off the bike and standing back to back, put their hands up in a surrender gesture.

“Oh, no, we’re finished. We won’t do it anymore. Sorry.” Tsucchi apologized and changed places with Hyuuga who was now facing the first cop.

“Don’t worry.”

Ryu, Take and Hayato who were observing the whole exchange, came closer to try help the guys but before any of them could speak up, class A’s Honda ran towards the bike. The situation got even more complicated when the policemen realized that the two boys had actually stolen the bike from the other boy. Hayato and Take tried to explain the situation to the cops but when they mentioned to belong to Kurogin’s 3D class the cops took Hyuuga and Tsucchi to the police station immediately.

Ryu sighed tiredly and elbowed Hayato slightly, mentioning to the gaping boy to move forward. After all they couldn’t leave their friends in the cops hands. Hayato winced slightly at the nudge, more startled than hurt, before obeying the silent command. When they came to the police station they tried to speak to policemen working there but, like always, a simple mention of Kurogin’s 3D, made policemen to think of the boys as criminalists.

They walked out of the building and started thinking of the way to get out Tsuchiya and Hyuuga out of the station. Hayato quickly got frustrated and started kicking random pebbles. Ryu just rolled his eyes at the sight of his slightly dumb friend but had to admit to himself that he didn’t have any good idea either. Take, on the other side, bit his lip and looked at his friends uncertainly. He had an idea what to do but he wasn’t sure of his friends’ reaction. Ryu quickly sensed something wrong and looked at the younger boy with a small frown.

“What’s wrong?” he asked Takeda who focused his eyes on the red-head. Hayato stopped his little game and looked up.

“Well… I think that… maybe we should call… Yamaguchi?” Ryu and Hayato stood frozen, staring at the boy. “I mean, she’s our teacher so people respect her and she helped us once already. Maybe she will be able to pull Tsucchi and Hyuuga out as well?” Ryu and Hayato exchange a glance.

“That’s not a bad idea, Take. At least they might listen to her.” Hayato replied.

“Do you have her number?” Ryu asked and after getting a positive response he started wondering how much Take trust their teacher to have Yamaguchi’s number in his phone.
 

* * *


The three boys stood in front of police station, waiting for their teacher. The night was cold. Take tried to warm himself up by moving while Hayato hissed through his teeth, shivering slightly. Ryu felt cold too but didn’t let the guys see it by turning his back to them. In the distance he could see Honda and, even further away, a black silhouette. The person looked familiar and soon Ryu realized that it was Yue. He probed his cheek with a tongue observing her movements. He was sure she was going home.

Before the boy was able to excuse himself and maybe go greet the girl, he heard steps coming from his left. He turn his head to see Yamaguchi. Very serious, scary and angry Yamaguchi. Takeda grabbed his and Hayato’s shoulders and pulled closer to himself, trying to hide behind them. The trio just watched the woman in fear, almost completely frozen.

“Yankumi, she seems… really angry.”

The woman was getting closer with each step. When she stopped in front of them, the guys stayed quiet. They hadn’t seen her like that before. The sight was rather terrifying and even Ryu, who kind of got used to her weird personality didn’t make a single step, staring at the woman in surprise. He only dared to move when Yamaguchi spoke.

“What happened? Explain the details.”

“We were on our way home from the arcade.” Hayato answered the question, describing the situation, while Ryu pulled his jacket back trying to hide from the cold wind. At the moment he turned his head, he noticed that the girl already disappeared.

“Those idiots!” Yankumi shouted, catching Ryu’s attention. “Obviously, when you’re riding in two and then having the cop chase you is asking for trouble.”

All three of them avoided looking at her, embarrassed. They knew that they should stop Hyuuga and Tsucchi but… Well, Ryu was pretty sure they wouldn’t listen and he wasn’t really the one to yelled and wake up the whole neighborhood. It didn’t change that he felt bad for letting his friend end up at the police station.

“So… why haven’t they been released?” Yamaguchi asked trying to calm herself down a bit.

“That’s because… the cops mistook them for bike thieves.” Take said uncertainly, afraid of his teacher’s possible reaction.

“What?” The woman looked shocked hearing about her precious students being thieves. “They stole it?”

“They didn’t steal it. They just borrowed it from Class A’s Honda. Right?” Yabuki answered, annoyed that the teacher suggested something like that, before he turned towards the mentioned boy. Ryu, Take and Yankumi following his suit.

“Yes. They threatened to beat me up if I didn’t lend them to them.” They boy answered honestly.

Hayato started laughing strangely while Yankumi looked shocked for the second time. Take looked up tensing up from nervousness. Ryu hang his head down knowing perfectly well that Honda just dig his own grave. The poor guy should know not to oppose Hayato. At the same time Ryu wished that Yabuki wouldn’t lash out at the other in front of their teacher. Who am I kidding… He wouldn’t care if someone sees him, anyway… And he was right. Hayato started to roll up his sleeves but before he could go beat up the boy, Take grabbed him by the shoulder and pulled back. Ryu looked at his best friend and sighed whispering:

“Idiot.” It was loud enough to hear by Yamaguchi and his friends but not enough to be heard by Honda. Yankumi took a breath and spoke to the Class A’s student.

“Honda, sorry for the trouble. You can go home now.”

“Okay.”

The boy walked away. For some reason Ryu followed him with his eyes. He didn’t know why he did it until it occurred to him that he wasn’t really looking at the guy but behind him, kind of hoping that he still might catch a glimpse of Yue. When Ryu realized that, he turned his head back, trying to ignore a sudden desire to see the older girl. Instead of analyzing his own weird behavior, he tried to concentrate on the situation at hand. Though, he still wondered why he thought of Yue so suddenly.

“We explained it properly, but the cops wouldn’t listen to us. Right guys?” Take wanted to protect his friends.

“When we told them we were from Kurogin Class 3D, they started yelling: ‘Come to the station’,” Hayato added while Ryu turned his back to them.

“I see. That was unreasonable. Alright.” Yamaguchi got into her ‘fighting for justice and students’ mode. “No matter what happens, I’ll get them back at all cost. You guys follow me!” They boys watched their excited teacher with surprise.

“No, you’re a teacher, just go in like a normal person.” Hayato quickly said kind of afraid that she will make even a bigger mess. The woman suddenly stopped and came back to her students with her head hanging low in shame.

“Yes,” she said timidly, Hayato and Take looking at her weirdly. Ryu stopped himself from rolling his eyes. That woman’s impossible… Does she think she’s a part of some Yakuza movie?
 

* * *


“I’m their homeroom teacher, Yamaguchi.” Yankumi bowed to the policeman. “I’m extremely sorry for all the trouble they’ve caused.”

Her apology was sincere but with the way Take, Hayato and Ryu were leaning against desk with hands in their pockets surely wouldn’t help with convincing the policeman at the station. They might be actually happy that the man ignored them completely in favor of filling in the documents.

“The students are still being interrogated.”

“They didn’t do anything.” Take reacted immediately, trying to defend his friend. Ryu looked at the policeman, waiting for his reaction, wishing that his friend didn’t offend the man and they would soon see Hyuuga and Tsucchi.

“That’s what we’re checking now.”

“Hurry and let them go, you clumsy old man.” Ryu couldn’t agree more but at the same time he wanted to slap Hayato for his stupidity. Who in their right minds say something like that to the cop?! Of course, Hayato does. What an idiot… This time, he was thankful for having Yamaguchi as their teacher…

“Stop it, Yabuki. Don’t oppose the okami.” …Or maybe not that thankful after all… The three boys looked at the woman in disbelieve. They all were shocked but Ryu also got more suspicious of Yamaguchi. There was not many people that would use such language and Ryu started to wonder whether she’s a die-hard fan of mafia-movies or… Tsk! That’s impossible. Why did I even thought about it? No good. The class stupidity is starting to get to me.

“Okami?” The trio asked and Yamaguchi got flustered being watched by her students and the policeman.

“No.” She laughed nervously. “They really didn’t steal the bicycle, right?” she tried to avoid explaining her slip and she was successful. The boys just wanted their friends back.

“Right.” Take and Hayato answered calmly.

“You believe these guys?” A sudden voice interrupted them. They looked at the doorway. A guy came into the room and sat on a chair by the desk putting his legs on top of it. Ryu looked at legs laying next to him and couldn’t help feeling disdain towards the policeman. The guy was really impolite, even more than Ryu’s friends, and being taught good manners from early years, Ryu had a huge urge to say something to the older man. Or at least to tell him to put his foot down.

“My students don’t lie.” Yankumi immediately answered with confidence but trying to calm her anger – she didn’t like when someone .

“You believe them so easily. They must be taking you for a fool at school.”

“What?” Yamaguchi was surprised by the words taking it as the offence.

“You’ve gotta take control. Your class has quite a reputation, ya know.” Now not only Yankumi felt offended. Even though there was some true in the man’s words, they weren’t THAT bad. “I hear that your class is bunch of hopeless cases. There are unbelievable kids in high schools nowadays. Fleeing from an officer is evidence that they are up to no good.” Yabuki ignored the words, never really respecting the police, Ryu also choose to not react but he really wanted to show the man that he’s wrong while Takeda glared at the man coldly, barely managing to keep his harsh words at bay.

“What did you say? Try saying it again!”

“Yankumi.”

The woman shouted and tried to came closer to the policeman. It was obvious she wanted to fight him so the three boys quickly grabbed her by the shoulders and after turning her around, Ryu had to remind her about her own words. Thankfully, after staying silent most of the time, Ryu’s words had huge impact on almost everyone around him.

“We aren’t supposed to defy the okami, right?”

“O-oh yeah. That’s right.” She admitted taken aback; not many of her students would think rationally when they friends were in jail. Ryu patted her back, feeling relieved that the teacher hadn’t lashed out on the impolite man, and let her go back so she could speak to cop. “Anyhow, there’s no proof and they’re still underage, so why don’t you let the two of them go home?” she asked with a fake smile. Ryu nodded slightly – she was talking reasonably and politely enough so Ryu was sure it would give nice effects, even if the policeman would be as ill-mannered as before.

The man looked at the teacher and not saying anything back to her, he ordered one of his underlings to release the boys while he himself stood up and walked away. Yankumi bowed after him in respect but she was very angry inside. Takeda was glaring at the man as much as Hayato who wanted to punch the guy for implying that they were criminals. Ryu was annoyed as well, not only for accusing his friends of being pests of society but also because the man offended a person that was actually someone full of justice. Tsk! Maybe she’s a teacher but she doesn’t judge anyone just by looking at them. That guy should learn to keep his mouth shut, arrogant …

A few minutes later, Hyuuga and Tsuchiya came out from the police station. Take immediately jumped to hug his friends while Hayato only make his famous bunny sign. Ryu smirked in welcoming gesture but it was barely noticeable.
 

* * *


Yamaguchi, still feeling offended, decided to drag the five students to Kumai’s shop for a bowl of ramen.

“Come on.” Kumai served the dish.

“Eat up.” Yankumi added, giving ceramic bowls to her students.

“Extra meat is on the house.” Kumai exclaimed, happy to see his teacher with her new troublemakers.

“Thanks, Kuma.”

“Don’t worry about it.”

The man went back on his place in the kitchen and Yankumi sat at the end of the table looking at five friends. Hyuuga and Tsuchiya didn’t touch their dishes, still upset about the whole stealing accident. Take and Hayato were also a bit down so they didn’t have appetites. Ryu, on the other hand, was really hungry, barely remembering to thank for the food. Many people didn’t know that despite his slim frame, Ryu could eat a lot, especially when he felt upset.

“By the way, that cop… was absolutely ridiculous.” Ryu couldn’t agree more with her.

“Yankumi still hasn’t changed.” Kumai said at the memories of his high school years.

“Yeah. Even if he’s a cop, there’s things he shouldn’t say. You guys don’t mind him.”

“We’re not.” Hyuuga answered but it was obvious that he did mind.

“It’s always the same.” Hayato added between the bites, while Ryu didn’t even look up, talking and cooling his noodles at the same time.

“We’re used to it.” It was true and Ryu knew it pretty well. Even though his voice stayed normal, he really wanted to say something nasty about the annoying cop. But eating was a better choice.

“Since they suspect us, we feel that we might as well do something bad.” Tsucchi admitted and Hyuuga agreed with him.

“Don’t say stupid things.” Yamaguchi scolded them. “But it’s all good since they let you go home safely.”

Hayato stopped eating and took a glance at the woman. Maybe she wasn’t a perfect teacher but she helped them today and was defending them in front of the police. It was something no other teacher would do for them so Yabuki put his extra meat in Yankumi’s bowl – she earned it today.

“Huh?” the woman got surprised by Yabuki’s nice gesture.

“Sorry for troubling you.” The boy said quickly, not taking his eyes from his ramen.

“Was that to thank me?”

“Shut up.” If Ryu wasn’t so focused on his own bowl, he would smirk at Hayato’s embarrassed behavior.

“Then me too.” Hyuuga was grateful that she helped them.

“Eat up!” Tsuchiya gave his part along with Take.

“Me, too. Here.”

The boys looked at Ryu. When the boy sensed it, he gazed at his friends and reluctantly put his own meat on his teacher’s plate. His friends smiled victoriously, knowing how hard it was to make Ryu to share his food when he was hungry. But it was one of the rare times when Ryu knew his friends were right, and Yamaguchi really deserved extra meat. She really did well today. Eat up, senko.

The woman smiled widely, surprised by her students behavior. Somehow, she was sure they were much better than half of adults. She was really happy knowing that even if they were reluctant towards her, they slowly started to trust her; even if just a little.
 

* * *


“I’m stuffed.”

“See ya guys, go straight home.” Yankumi shouted after them.

“See ya.”

“Okay.”

“Later!”

The boys looked back at their teacher still walking away. It was the best idea since metal poles were placed in the middle of the pavement. Ryu, who saw it earlier, simply avoid the pole. He couldn’t contain a wide smirk that blossomed on his lips when Hayato tripped over the metal bar. The boy might be a 3D’s leader but, just as Ryu was an eater, Hayato was really clumsy. He always tried to act cool in front of people but Ryu has knew him since they were still small kids. Idiot, watch where you’re going. Really… you haven’t changed much; you’re still stumbling over everything. Ryu thought with a smile. He was probably the only one who saw all of Hayato’s accidents and probably the only one in front of who Hayato didn’t mind acting dorky.

It was late and the boys had already enough adventures for one night. They bid their goodbyes and went their ways. Ryu walked slowly. Now, when he was full and much calmer, Ryu’s mind went back to thinking about the time in front of the police station. The boy couldn’t figure out why Yue had occupied his mind at that moment. Yeah, he saw her just a few minutes earlier walking home but why he hope she would appear again? He was confused.

I barely know her. Why so suddenly… Damn! Something must be wrong with me. Eh… maybe I wanted to see her because she might know how to get Hyuuga and Tsucchi out of jail? She seemed to know stuff… Or maybe I’m just tired and that stupid brain of mine decided to play with me.

Ryu shook his head and walked faster. He really was tired after the whole, not exactly good, day and he could feel how heavy his eyelids became. After he got home, he immediately went to his room and after taking a quick shower, he laid on the bed. He needed only a few minutes to fall asleep and nothing was able to wake him up until the next day came.

* * *
 
“Yo! Ryu!” The redhead turned around to see his best friend walking towards him.

“Yo.” Ryu answered and waiting for the other to catch up with hm. Once Hayato skipped to the other’s side they continued their way to Kurogin. The classes would started in a few minutes but they weren’t in a rush. It was a sunny day and they both felt lazy. Ryu, in addition to that, was still a little disturbed by his thoughts; Yue’s image just wouldn’t stop appearing in front of his eyes on many different situations that barely had anything in common with the young woman. Any other person would say that Ryu just had a crush on the girl but he knew that wasn’t it. He didn’t feel any weird insects flying in his stomach nor his heartbeat was increasing. It was something different, not bad but surely a little unsettling.

Ryu sighed heavily but quietly. No matter how he looked at it, the only way to get rid of it or, at least, figure it out was to go and see Yue and maybe ask some questions. After all, even if it wasn’t a crush, Ryu was interested in the girl. She was secretive but at the same time open enough to care about a delinquent like him. She claimed to be an ex-delinquent herself but with the way she acted, Ryu had hard time believing it.

A sudden pain in his left side brought him back to earth. Ryu looked at Hayato who raised his eyebrow, asking silently why Ryu was spacing out but the redhead only shrugged his shoulders in answer. They made their way inside the building and went towards their classroom. When they came inside all voices died down and everyone looked at them. Ryu squinted his eyes in suspicion; something was wrong and Yamaguchi’s stern face only confirmed his assumptions.
 
* * *

“You guys really didn’t do anything?” Yankumi asked cautiously the two boys sitting in front of her. The rest of the class was standing behind the two listening closely.

“I told you we didn’t.” Ryu answered, a little annoyed for being ask for the umpteenth time the same question.

“We went straight home after eating ramen.” Hayato added, even more annoyed. Yankumi breathed out in relief knowing that her students really didn’t attacked guys from other schools.

“I see. I’m relieved to hear that,” she said with a smile.

“Where do you find an idiot that says his name after he beats up people.” Ryu added wanting to assure Yankumi. He didn’t like seeing her worried face, not after all the trouble he and his friends caused her. After saying it, Ryu got to another conclusion and it wasn’t the good one.

“That’s true.” She agreed immediately and laughed along with the rest of 3D, except for a worried Ryu, at how obvious it was.

“That means…” She started by putting her hands up so the class could calm down. ”…somebody is trying to frame you guys.”

“I see. That’s it!” Hayato exclaimed, shocked that he didn’t think about it before. You finally got it, huh? That’s not good. If Saruwatari hears about it, we’re going to get in serious trouble with school this time.

“Do you have someone in mind?” The teacher asked, ready to go and find the bastards that were trying to bring shame on her students.

“Could be the guys from Ara High.” Tsuchiya immediately offered.

“What?”

“Didn’t we settle everything with them?” Takeda was right, they did settle it.

“Then maybe Goda from Jinguju.” Hyuuga gave his opinion followed by his other classmates.

“There’s also Shibata from Ryujin High.”

“No, could be Jounan Tech high.”

“T…that many?” Yamaguchi was shocked at the number of schools her students were in conflict with.

“Damn! There’s too many to figure out who it is!” Tsuchiya dramatically turned his back to the rest of the class and put his fist in the air like some kind of a boss from a bad ‘life or death’ movie.

The guys sat on their places and Yamaguchi started her lesson. It was one of these rare times when she actually could teach as the whole class was quiet. The problem was that despite silence, the guys weren’t paying their teacher any attention too distracted by the situation. They felt frustrated not knowing who was attacking delinquents from other schools and putting the blame on Ryu and Hayato. No one ever was brave enough to mess with 3D leaders like that. They had to do something with it. Quickly.

When the lesson ended Yamaguchi walked out of the classroom leaving the boys on their own. Hayato and Ryu, who sat near each other, were quickly surrounded by others. They were waiting for their leaders to came up with a plan.

“To use our names like that… it’s unforgivable.” Hayato said, anger apparent in his voice.

“They were wearing our uniforms with the school’s badge on them, too, I heard.” Take informed.

“They’re looking down on us.” Hyuuga’s pride, like others, was wounded.

“, that makes me mad!” Tsucchi complained. “Since it’s come to this, why don’t we find the culprits?” He proposed and the rest immediately raised from their seats, surprised.

“What?”

“We can’t just do nothing, can we?” he said to Hayato as up to him to decide what to do. Yabuki thought for a second (quite literally) and stood up asking with a mischievous smile.

“Shall we do it?”

Everyone started whistling, completely agreeing with their leaders suggestion. The shouts of approval was coming from every corner of the classroom. They easily got excited and it was obvious that they were thinking of it as of nice adventure than of a serious problem. But Ryu couldn’t really blame them, they weren’t the smartest and most of the time acted like a bunch of kids.

“I’m getting excited!”

“It’s necessary!”

“We’re gonna need food, aren’t we?”

“Let’s take some snack, too.”

“I’m gonna take a sleeping bag.”

Ryu observed them in a small shock. During the time he had spent away from school he had kind of forgotten how childish his classmates could be.

“Aren’t you guys going off track a bit?” he murmured the question that got lost in the wave of excited voices. It wasn’t like he really wanted to say it but he got caught off the guard and this time his tongue was quicker than his brain. You weren’t so excited even when the school’s cafeteria got on fire and you didn’t have to go to school for the whole week. Eh… Knowing them, it won’t work anyway. Hayato might have a good idea from time to time but he never thinks further than step one. It was not like Ryu was a one hundred percent a negative person but he was pretty realistic and finding a masked guys wearing Kurogin’s uniforms was just impossible.
 
* * *

Before Ryu could even blink, he was standing with the rest of his classmates on the playground in the nearby park. He watched with a raised eyebrow Hayato rocking on a wooden duck. He wondered why none of the guys commented on it since the view was hilarious and Ryu didn’t laugh only because it was not the best time to start a fight with Hayato.

“Gather around.” Yabuki waited until the boys were close. “This is a picture of what they look like.”

“Not bad.” Someone said and Ryu came closer to take one drawing as well.

“We’re all ready now.” Tsuchiya announced and other guys agreed with him happily.

“Yeah.”

“Let’s do it then!” Hayato shouted.

“Yeah!”

“Let’s do it!”

“Yeah!”

“Put your all into it!”

“Yeah!”

Meanwhile Ryu walked away staring at the picture. The corner of his lips moved a little; he was surprised that they had thought of drawing a picture of the assaulters but at the same time he really wanted to laugh. The picture itself was nice but… it wouldn’t really help them find the imposters. After all, five guys in masks were rather hard to find. Especially if they looked, more or less, like any other student from Kurogin.

“There’s no way you’ll find them with this.” Ryu said but he knew they didn’t hear him, too excited with their ’mission’.

Soon the guys split into five person’s groups and started their searching. They asked elders, university students, hostesses from clubs and pachinko workers but no one seem to recognize the guys. Not like it surprised Ryu, it was impossible from the beginning.

“What? They don’t know anything here, either?” Hyuuga complained.

“I guess that picture wasn’t good enough.” You think, genius?

“Because their faces are hidden.” Really, Tsucchi?

“But you guys have the balls to step out of a pachinko parlor.” Yeah… Wait a minute…

The boys nodded in agreement but then they recognized the voice. They turned towards the newcomer, shocked to see their teacher standing between them.

“Yamaguchi!” Hyuuga shouted surprised.

“Yankumi.” Take mattered quietly.

Ryu was surprised too but more by how he didn’t sense her than that she appeared at all. She looked at them and asked them to go with her, away from the parlor. It would be bad if police or some teacher saw them in the place like that. While they were walking towards the park and asking the passerby about the imposters, Ryu’s eyes were wandering around, observing his surroundings and searching for something suspicious. In the end he didn’t find anything like that but, when they went around the corner, he saw Yue closing the shop and he wondered if she might have some information. Not saying anything Ryu passed by his friends and walked quickly toward the young woman. She spotted him a few seconds later and smiled slightly.

“Good evening, Ryu-kun.” She greeted him and tilted her head to the side looking at his friends and a weird woman with pigtails. “I assume that are your friends and that annoying teacher.” She looked back at the young man. “Something happened? You look kind of dejected.” She noticed right away.

“Ah. Some guys assault students from other schools and put blame on us.”

“Like imposing you?” She asked with a raised eyebrow and Ryu nodded. “Do you have any idea who might it be?”

“Not really… only this.” Ryu rolled his eyes while showing Yue the picture. She blinked in confusion at the drawing.

“Well, I bet it didn’t help much.” Ryu nodded again and put the picture back in his pocket.

“Have you heard something? Some guys were attacked nearby yesterday night.” The boy asked in hope.

“Sorry, I don’t think I can help you. The picture doesn’t say anything to me and yesterday wasn’t my shift.” She smiled apologetically.

“It’s okay.” Ryu shrugged his shoulders not really expecting a different answer.

“I will ask my co-workers tomorrow. Maybe someone had seen or heard something.”

“Thanks.”

Yue bid him goodbye and walked away. Ryu watched her until she disappeared behind the corner. He promised himself to go see the girl the next day. Maybe she would find out something about the guys that tried to frame them. If not, he still needed to talk to her, anyway. He was rarely that interested in someone. The last person who caught his interest was Hayato and his ‘jump in first, then think’ attitude. At that time Ryu only knew how to follow the rules and not to speak when he wasn’t asked so Hayato’s impolite way of talking made Ryu curious. This time, Ryu wasn’t sure what was attracting him so much to the young woman but just like with Hayato, he needed to figure it out. Otherwise he would got even more grumpy and antisocial than he already was.

Ryu walked back to the group that stood a few meters away. He raised his eyebrow at Yankumi’s sparkling eyes and teasing but surprised smirks from his friends. He stopped in front of them and waited. When Hayato wriggled his eyebrows and Tsucchi started fanning himself, Ryu got a little annoying. What the hell they came up with now? They’re all acting suspicious. Even Take! And he’s suppose to be a normal now.

“What?” Ryu asked sharply, annoyed by getting weird stares.

“So… Who was that? I didn’t know you know any girls, Ryu.” Hayato said with a wide grin.

“Ryu! You should tell us! We’re your friends, aren’t we?” Tsuchiya wound an arm around him.

“Yeah! We want to meet her!” Hyuuga added while leaning on Tsucchi and winking. Takeda only whistled.

“Was it your girlfriend, Odagiri-kun? I didn’t know my student was in love. Meeting in the middle of the night under the starry sky. So romantic~!” The teacher got excited. Ryu looked at them and quickly shook off Tsuchiya’s hand, glaring at the whole group. They took a step back but they were still smirking and Yamaguchi was daydreaming.

“She’s not. She’s just a random passerby That’s all.” Ryu answered; he didn’t know Yue long enough to call her his friend and he didn’t want the guys to think of something weird again. And what about the starry sky? We’re in Tokyo. You can’t see stars here. And what’s so romantic in meeting on the dirty street in the shady alley?

“Yeah~ Of course~”

Hayato was still smirking but Ryu only rolled his eyes at him before putting his hands in the pockets of his trousers and walking away towards the park. They guys were trying to all the way but seeing that Ryu wasn’t reacting, they got bored and stopped. Yamaguchi came back from cloud nine only when the boys sat on the wooden construction at the playground (Ryu preferred to lean on the slide standing a few meters away, still annoyed by his friends behavior) and explained the situation.

“Search for the culprit?”

“We can’t just do nothing… when our friends are being framed.” Tsuchiya said.

“I see.” After hearing Tsucchi’s answer, she smiled happily. “You guys are thinking of your friends. So, did you find any clues?” Ryu came from behind her slowly and showed her the drawing.

“There’s no way we can find them with this.” He sighed heavily, glad to get it off his chest as the woman was the only one to really listen to him. Well… there was also Yue but he didn’t have much time to really talk to her. He walked up to his friends and sat next to Tsuchiya.

“I understand your feelings now. But go home for today.” Ryu looked at her, waiting for a further explanation even if he already knew what she wanted to tell them. “If the Head Teacher saw you guys walking around at this time, you’d get into trouble.”

“But…” Hayato tried to complain.

“Don’t worry, just go home.” She reassured him.

“What’s this?” A sudden voice surprised all of them. “Well, well… Fancy meeting you all hear.” The annoying policeman that they had met at the police station came closer and Yankumi reluctantly smiled at him.

“Good evening.” She said politely.

“Extracurricular activities this late at night?”

“Something like that.” Yamaguchi quickly answered and tried to change the topic. “Are you on patrol?”

“Yes. There have been a lot of disturbing incidents lately.” Ryu didn’t like how the man was eyeing him and his friends like they were the one that were a part of those incidents.

“Disturbing incidents?”

“Office break-ins and purse snatching.” The man looked sharply at the boys. “Don’t tell me it’s you guys, is it?” He accused the students who immediately stood up, angry at the policeman. Only Ryu stayed seated knowing pretty well that such actions only bring more troubles and assure of their guilt.

“What…”

“How dare…”

“Yabuki!” Yamaguchi jumped in front of the boy to stop him, then smiled falsely at the policeman. “Would you please stop suspecting young people with bright futures without proof?” she tried to ask nicely.

“Young people with bright futures, you say?” Ryu could hear the sarcasm in the man’s voice and he didn’t like it. At all.

“Yes.”

“Well, do your best. Adios.” The guy said and walked away, leaving the students and their teacher alone. Yamaguchi was smiling until he was far enough to not hear her next words.

“He makes me so mad!”
 
* * *

“The park again.” The boys whined.

The guys were wandering around so more, needing to calm down after the encounter with the policeman. When they got bored playing at the arcade, they walked back tiredly. Hyuuga was leaning on Tsucchi with his arm hooked with the taller boy and with closed eyes tried to move forward. Hayato was talking about something and if Ryu heard correctly, he was just teasing him again about Yue. He preferred not to react.

Suddenly, a group of guys stopped in front of them, blocking the way. Ryu saw them first and stopped in his tracks, eyeing them carefully. He knew they were in trouble. There was about twenty, if not even more, guys that were older than them and looking dangerous. The five Kurogin students were standing in the line, waiting for the other gang to make its move. They turned their heads to the right at the familiar voice.

“Yo. It’s been a while.” Ryu raised his eyebrows in surprise, completely not expecting to see the guys again after so long.

“Kudo-san…”

“How’d it feel getting a bit of attention?”

“Eh?” Takeda asked surprised while Ryu put two and two together and what came out of it wasn’t really promising. The gang in front of them laughed, apparently enjoying the situation. Ryu hang his head a little lower, thinking quickly what to do while Hayato spoke up.

“So you guys did it.”

“We really had fun. Well, the uniforms and stuff didn’t cost us anything.” Ryu took a deep breath, wanting to ask a question that had an answer he didn’t want to know.

“You dropped out of school. What’re you up to now?”

“I had some free time, so I was just having some fun. Right?” The guys laughed again and Ryu had no doubts that Kudo was their leader and that really wouldn’t help their situation if the fight started.

“You wanna join us? We’ll welcome both of you.” Even though Kudo asked them both, it was evident that he mostly wanted Ryu to join as the redhead was quite known for using not only his fist but head as well; he would be a great help during robberies and such. “It must be boring going to that stinkin’ place. Ryu, all this time you’ve hated school.” He said to the boy who first directed his eyes down to look to his right, thinking. Yeah, he didn’t like school much but it was good enough since he had his friend there. Also, after he met Yue and Yamaguchi many things change and he was curious where it will lead him to. So taking a breath, he answered.

“That’s not true.” He smirked as he remembered his homeroom teacher’s weird antics. “It’s not completely uninteresting, either.”

“True.” Hayato gave out a short laugh after hearing the words. Take, Hyuuga and Tsuchiya were looking at the two leaders uncertainly, wondering if they decide to take the offer.

“Hey, we came all this way to recruit you. What’s your answer?” He demanded the answer that he got from Ryu.

“We decline.” Even if Ryu lost his status as a leader, Hayato still counted on him in situations like this as the redhead was very direct at times and wouldn’t beat around the bush. Take, Hyuuga and Tsuchiya looked at him. They sensed the coming troubles.

“What?” Kudo didn’t take the answer happily.

“Sorry but… I have no interest in becoming one of you guys.” Hayato was waiting for it, for that direct way that many people took as arrogance. It almost always seemed like Ryu looked down on people when in reality he didn’t mean anything wrong. He didn’t like talking so, most of the time, he tried to say as little as he could, missing some words that would make his speech more friendly… Or less offending.

“We’re not as free.” Hayato added and came closer to Kudo. Titling his head to the side in a cute gesture while making bunny ears with his fingers. “See ya.” Yabuki walked away follow first by his friends who were careful not to cross eyes with Kudo.

“Just when we had especially come to ask you. Giving me all this attitude.” What did you expected? That we were follow you obediently like good little kids? “Hey surround them!”

“Yes!” The gang immediately ran and blocked the way not leaving even a single space to flee. They pulled out knives and metal poles waiting for the five students to make a move and attack. Yabuki neaten up his jacket and said.

“Formation B.”

“B?” Ryu looked at his best friend in surprised completely not knowing what ‘formation B’ was. He wasn’t sure if Hayato came up with this while he was away from school or was it just one of Hayato’s weird plans that Ryu didn’t even bother to listen to. Most of the times they were together, Hayato would rant about something irrelevant so Ryu just ignored him. Now Ryu regretted not paying attention to his best friend’s speeches.

“Roger.” Take, Hyuuga and Tsuchiya answered seriously, ready to execute the plan while Kudo’s gang was ready to fight.

“Ready… go!” Hayato shouted.

“Go!” Hyuuga, Tsucchi, Take and Hayato started running away in different directions. Thankfully, Ryu was quick at thinking and seeing what’s going on followed his friend’s example.

“Oi!”

“Wait there!”

“Wait!”

“Hey you! Stop!”

Ryu could hear shouts coming from behind him but had no intentions listening to them. He ran as fast as he could trying to lose the guys. He turned around to see if they were still following him. When he didn’t catch a sight of any of Kudo’s subordinates Ryu slowed down and walked up on the stairs, planning to go home. He raised his head standing in the middle of the stairs to see Kudo’s gang. Ryu tried to ran back down but the guys he had lost a while ago, caught up to him. He looked back and forth between the two groups and sighed, knowing that his problems just began.
 
* * *

Ryu looked up from his position on the ground. He felt dizzy and his whole body was sore from receiving punches and kick all over it. He could taste blood on his lower lip. He wasn’t in the best shape but Ryu was glad that he could still see clearly; his eyes weren’t swelling. He sat up properly and caught a sight of Kudo exiting the warehouse with a cellphone in a hand. Ryu didn’t need to check to know it was his. Kudo was up to something and it wouldn’t be good, that was certain.

Damn… I feel like crap… I hope they didn’t catch the guys. Ryu checked his pockets, something was missing. … Where’s my ID? It’s not good. Damn it, I can’t move. The next time Hayato comes up with something this ridiculous, I’m going to kill him… Or better I will leave him to deal with it alone. Maybe the idea itself wasn’t that bad but Ryu was never good in games like ‘hide and seek’. Especially the hiding part was hard for him. Ryu preferred thinking over rushing head first and Hayato’s plan wasn’t planned at all; in a spoor of the moment the guy decided to run while he obviously angered Kudo minute before.

Ryu sighed and leaned his back comfortably on the wall. There was no way he could get out of the underground warehouse. The door were open but he didn’t think they would let him walk away for more than a few meters. Ryu only wished that Hayato wouldn’t be stupid enough to rush to his rescue.
 
* * *

“Ryu!” The boy heard his name being called but he had no energy to answer the calls.

“Ryu. Are you okay?” Hayato knelt in next to him, visibly worried.

“I think so.” Ryu answered, and despite his previous thoughts, he smiled seeing Hayato next to him. At least the idiot isn’t hurt. Ryu was relieved.

“Where’s Kudo and his gang?” Ryu hissed when he moved his head facing the door. At the same time a metallic sound was heard and Hayato looked around to see the door closing. “Can you stand?”

Yabuki asked and not waiting for the answer, he grabbed Ryu by his jacket to pull him up. The redhead grabbed Hayato back and using him as a leverage he hoisted himself up. Yabuki dragged the hurt boy trying to get to the door on time but even if Ryu was limping, there was no way to run outside in time.

“Let us out!” Hayato shouted before trying to call someone. Unfortunately, they weren’t within range in the underground storage. “No signal.”

“What are they thinking?” Ryu asked tiredly. They probably called Hayato for a reason, just like they took his ID.

The boys walked away from the door and sat on the ground leaning their backs on some old boxes. Ryu wanted to scold Hayato for making up some stupid ‘formations’ but changed his mind. It was Ryu’s fault they got stuck in this old storage. He shouldn’t let himself be caught but he was stupid enough to let his guard down. He stopped paying attention to his surroundings, otherwise he might heard them coming. Ryu was frustrated but more than that he was tired and needed his rest, so before anyone could say a word, Ryu fell asleep.
 
* * *

Hayato woke up upon the familiar sound of metallic door being open.

“Ryu. Hey, wake up.” He shook his friend who looked at him confused. “Hurry.”

Yabuki started going away why Ryu slowly stood up and followed the other boy. They were free and there was no sight of Kudo or his subordinates. Nevertheless, Ryu had a feeling that it was not the end of their troubles and his best friend’s words only assured him that, indeed, it was the beginning.

“That Kudo… I’ll take care of him.”

Ryu wanted to calm Hayato down but the sound of police sirens stopped him from saying anything. The boys stopped in their tracks and Ryu furrowed his eyebrows at the sights of a police car blocking their way. They looked back hearing another two sirens to see they were surrounded. Everyone came out of the three cars and walked towards them. At the end, making his way slowly, was the annoying policeman.

‘So, you’ve finally done it.” Hayato looked at him like he wanted to fight the man while Ryu was confused. They didn’t do anything that would be called a crime. He needed a second to realize that it was Kudo. They got framed by their ex-senpai…
 
* * *

After the police interrogated the two boys, they put them in one room to have an eye on them. They both were sitting quietly with heads down; Hayato being angry with the whole situation and Ryu thinking about what had happened. No matter how he looked at it, it was because of him that they ended up on the police station. Ryu wasn’t used to apologizing nor to being wrong but he felt really bad pulling Hayato down with him.

“Sorry.”

“About what?” After taking a breath, Hayato asked sounding angry. He wasn’t angry at Ryu; it wasn’t his friend’s fault but Kudo’s and only Kudo should be blamed.

They fell silent again, waiting for a miracle. They knew the chance of being released was low. No one believed them and the police had proofs that Ryu and Hayato were involved in the robbery at the jewelry shop. They only hoped that someone saw Kudo or that the police were find the jewelry along with the real culprits.
 
* * *

A few hours have passed. The door opened in the interrogation room opened letting in some light. Ryu and Hayato raised their heads waiting for the policeman to speak. They couldn’t hide their surprise at the sight of their Head Teacher walking inside the room.

“You’ve been cleared. Get ready to go home.”

Ryu and Hayato was really surprised hearing his words. There were so many evidence that they did it that it was almost impossible to be cleared and yet, they could go home. They were free. They slowly got up from their seats and followed their teacher silently. When they walked out of the building, Sawatari bowed to the policeman, apologizing.

“I apologize for all the trouble.”

“No, not at all.”

Sawatari bowed again and gestured to the students to follow him. Ryu and Hayato took a few steps to suddenly stop. They looked around in surprise. In front them stood the whole 3D class with their homeroom teacher at the front.

“Ryu. Hayato.” Take tried to imitate Yabuki’s famous finger-bunny-ears.

“Yo.” Tsuchiya welcomed them and Hyuuga put his tongue out in a weird but cute gesture.

Hayato and Ryu watched it in shock, completely not expecting to see their friends here. They stayed silent when the policeman came closer to Yamaguchi. Standing in front of the pigtailed teacher, he started talking.

“We’ve heard about you guys finding the culprits.” Ryu, Hayato and Sawatari came closer. “Well, it was good work, if you want to call it that. But we would like ordinary citizens to stay out of our business.” The man was looking down on them again.

“What are you saying?” Hyuuga rushed forward, followed by others.

“You couldn’t even catch them yourselves.” Tsuchiya said angrily.

“Stop it, all of you.” The Head Teacher tried to calm them down. The policeman only smiled arrogantly and turned around to face the two boys.

“Stop doing things that would make you suspects.” The man said and Hayato tried to come up to him. Ryu grabbed him firmly by the arm, pulling him back and stopping his friend from doing something he might regret. He was very angry himself at the man. They didn’t do anything; they just were in the bad place at the bad time. And it wasn’t their fault that Kudo decided to scout them in the first place. They were hanging out with him for some time a year back but they never really were part of his gang.

“Aren’t you forgetting something, detective?” Yamaguchi asked and the man turned to face her.

“What?” Yankumi walked up to the policeman.

“Apologize to the two of them.” She said seriously. Ryu and Hayato looked at her. She surprised them again with such sudden words. Is she serious?

“Yamaguchi-sensei, what are you saying?” The Head Teacher scolded the woman.

“Sensei… I still don’t think these two are completely innocent.” The detective tried to walked away again.

“Then show me the proof.”

“Yamaguchi-sensei!” Sawatari was shocked at the woman’s behavior just as much as the students couldn’t believe in what they just saw and heard.

“You don’t have any?”

“Yamaguchi, it’s okay.” Ryu tried to stop the woman. He felt touched; no one ever stood up for them. It was enough. Her being concerned for them was enough. “We’re used to this kind of stuff.”

“It’s not okay!” She reacted immediately. And Ryu looked at her in shock. “No matter who it is, if they make a mistake, they should apologize. Isn’t that how humans should act? I’ve been taught that ever since I was a child. And as a teacher, I’ve been teaching that to my students. These guys are still immature and can make many mistakes. That’s why we have to show them between right and wrong. If adults don’t follow the rules… then how we can teach them the rules?!”

“I commend your passion. But will these students really understand?”

“They will. I… believe so.” There was no hesitation in her voice. The students all watched her silently. No matter how many times they were betrayed by the teacher, how much they hated all of them, they couldn’t hate Yamaguchi. Ryu never felt so grateful to have a teacher by his side. She was always helping them, always protecting them. But what was even more important, she treated them as someone valuable. She was the only teacher that was thinking of them as students, not pieces of trash, pests to the society. She was something different, something that let them all hope that the future was waiting for them. “So… Detective, please do the right thing in front of them. I beg you.”

She bowed to the man she didn’t like. For her students sake. All of them made a step forward. Ryu and Hayato observed her not really understanding why she did it for them. But Ryu had a clue and he couldn’t believe that such a person really exists in this world, standing in front of his own eyes. Ryu didn’t even blink when the policeman came towards them but he was surprised that the man actually listened to the teacher. For the first time and adult bowed to them, apologizing for making a mistake.

“I’m sorry.”

The detective walked away and Yankumi raised her head. The silence was suddenly broke by happy cheers of 3D students. Ryu was the only one staying quiet and following the policeman with his eyes. He was still shocked by the events and only came back to Earth when his friends jumped on him in happiness. It was one of the rare times he actually smiled at the enthusiasm of the rest of his classmates who were hugging him and Hayato almost pushing them to the ground from overwhelming joy.

“Okay, everyone! Let’s head back!” Yankumi commanded.

“Yeah!” The guys shouted and followed their teacher to Kumai’s Ramen shop.
 
* * *

“Everyone, eat till you’re full.”

“One more!” Someone shouted.

“What? One more?”

“Let them eat, Yankumi.” Kumai said to the surprised teacher.

“One more, Yankumi!” The whole class asked for the refill. Of course, the woman was overjoyed that the boys called her by her nickname.

“You guys just called me Yankumi… Alright, eat as many bowls as you want!”

“Alright!” The students cheered happily but a few seconds later Yamaguchi spoke up again.

“Wait all of you. If you want seconds, don’t order ramen with meat. Just order the regular ramen.”

Everyone protested wanting something more feeling that a simple soup. The woman tried to calm them down and Ryu had to smirk under his nose at her antics. She was a weird teacher that was easy to make fun off and yet she could easily be a very serious and hardworking person and Ryu admired her for it. He was happy she had found Kudo’s gang. There was only one thing that was bothering his mind. How did they got the address?

“Hey, how did you know where to find that , Kudo?” Hayato asked, his mouth full of ramen.

“Hm? Oh, we asked the girl Ryu talked to yesterday.” Tsuchiya answered.

“She called someone and the next thing we knew, we had Kudo’s address in our hands.” Hyuuga added with a smile.

“Seriously? Ryu! You have an eye! You should play darts with us more often. I bet you we would make a good team and get a bull’s eye many times. ” Hayato wounded his arm around his friends shoulders but Ryu only shrugged it off.

“Yeah… You just know I would beat you in darts just like when we’re playing pool.”

Ryu smirked and Take, Hyuuga and Tsucchi snickered. Hayato immediately denied, claiming himself as the kind of darts. Ryu smiled as his four friends started teasing each other. He observed them for a moment before his thought concentrated on a certain young woman that really helped him and Hayato today. Ryu wondered how Yue managed to get the address. He was slightly worried since the girl wasn’t a delinquent anymore and to help them, she needed to contact someone from the shady part of the city. He hoped she was okay but he would only relax completely after he saw her.

I still need to talk to her. I should also thank her for the trouble. I hope she is okay… I can’t miss school tomorrow but… I will go find her this weekend. Hopefully, she will have time to hear me out…

And with that thoughts in mind, Ryu continued eating his ramen and listening to his friends. It wasn’t maybe the best day but it helped them all getting closer with each other and with their weird but not so bad homeroom teacher, Yamaguchi ‘Yankumi’ Kumiko.