Episode 2: Fists vs. Words

Gokusen 2 - Unspoken Feelings
Episode 2 „Fists vs. Words”
 

The alarm clock started ringing loudly in the room. A hand slowly turned it off but its owner stayed on the bed. Odagiri Ryu was lying on his back staring at the white ceiling engrossed in his own thoughts. He knew he should get up and get ready to school but he wasn’t sure if there’s any sense in it. His friends hated him, thought of him as a traitor. What’s the point in going there? He was aware that the moment he arrives in the class, all eyes will be on him, despising him.

Ryu sighed heavily and finally got up from his bed. No matter how negative his thoughts were, he promised to give that crazy teacher a chance. He might be called a trash by society but he had his honor and, what’s left of it, his pride. He couldn’t just go against his own words even if no one except for him new about the inner agreement.

After getting ready, Ryu slowly walked to school. When he saw the school building, he knew he was late but didn’t quicken his steps. There was no need.

“Odagiri is late, I guess.” Ryu heard Yamaguchi saying when he approached the door. He wanted to slide it open but stopped when his ears caught the voice of his former best friend.

“He’s probably not coming.”

“He came here yesterday on a whim!” added Tsuchiya.

“The Superintendent and his father decided that he can still graduate even if he doesn’t come to school.” He heard Hyuga through the door.

“VIP treatment… I wish I could…”

“Why isn’t my father rich?!”

“Shut up!”

Ryu closed his eyes tightly. It hurt. They didn’t know a thing and yet they judged him but there’s nothing he could do about it. An idiot always stays an idiot. He couldn’t blame them though, it wasn’t their fault for being who they are.

The young man took a deep breath and opened the door stepping inside. He looked at his friends that suddenly got quiet. Seeing their angry faces, Ryu looked down trying to avoid an eye contact. He wouldn’t say it but he was nervous.

“Ryu…” He looked up again upon hearing his own name. “Good morning.” Take smiled to him but Ryu didn’t greet him back; it would only bring them both troubles.

“Odagiri, if you’re late three times, it counts as an absence. I have no intention of treating you specially. Keep that in mind.”

Ryu looked at the rest of the class before going to his sit. Something was telling him that Yamaguchi scolded him on purpose to show the guys that not only Ryu isn’t treated differently but also that she, as a teacher, is on their side. Smart move but Ryu knew that 3-D won’t buy it.

While walking to the empty sit in first row, the young man felt eyes on him. He didn’t need to turn around to know who observed him. Yabuki had the biggest grudge against him, the rest only followed their leader. But before the whole affair, Ryu was also the leader and he didn’t have any intention to submit to the current situation. He put his bag down on the table and bravely looked straight in Yabuki’s eyes.

After a minute of silent battle, the boy sat down. He still felt eyes on him but Ryu only sighed without making a sound knowing that the war began. There was no way back, no matter how much he wished it would never start.
 

* * *


During the break between classes, Ryu went to the rooftop to avoid his classmates. He leaned on the back of a bench staring at the city. It was calming him down and he could peacefully collect his messy thoughts. Finally he could relax, even if just a little. Of course, the calm atmosphere couldn’t stay for long.

“It’s cold, isn’t it?” He heard the crazy teacher’s voice and surprised turn his head to look at her. “Yo! So you were here.”

He stared at her in annoyance, he wanted to be left alone but that woman was hard to avoid. He looked back at the city trying to ignore her. Yamaguchi didn’t get a silent hint.

“How does it feel to be in school after so long?”

Does she think that she’s talking to a child? She just sounded like my mother. Well, she surely sounded enthusiastic and happy, giving him her big smile. But Ryu ignored her again, getting up and walking away. If she asked like a mother then the answer was like that of a son.

“Nothing.” He was walking away towards the staircase but she followed him annoyingly, asking weird questions.

“Nothing what? Nothing really or I don’t care. Use Japanese properly.” He really acted like his mother. Isn’t she a math teacher? She should stick to her profession. Ryu wasn’t going to say that, it would probably only fire her up making her speak about how it’s her job to teach her students proper manners. He just stopped and turned around having in mind a question that bothered him for days now.

“You…” he started with a straight face. “Why are you so strong at fighting?” Her smile faltered and eyes widened, she looked away realizing that the boy was really observant. “Where did you learn to fight?”

“What are you talking about?” She tried to deceive him. “You were probably dreaming after being beaten to a pulp by them.” Ryu knew she was lying, she wouldn’t look him in the eyes; he also wasn’t stupid enough to believe her. “There’s no way a cute person like me with such a nice slender weak body could be strong in fighting.”

She turn to the side with a satisfied face. She’s the lamest person I’ve ever seen. And almost the stupidest. Her lie also wasn’t convincing. On the contrary, any normal person would know that the answer has nothing to do with the question.

“What does having a nice body have to do with fighting?” he caught her.

“It doesn’t, I guess,” she admitted and seeing that she has no intentions of telling the truth, Ryu decided to be honest with her. Not that his honesty was a good thing. He was still irritated by her sudden coming and bothering him.

“Besides, you don’t have a nice body,” he stated in annoyance, maintaining his cold tone and hard expression before turning around and walking towards the door without even taking a glance at the shocked woman.
 

* * *


Though Ryu was afraid that Yabuki will try to pick up a fight, the rest of the day went rather well, Ryu ignored his classmates and they ignored him. At least he had a little peacefulness. The boy thought that after offending the teacher, she will also leave him alone. A few hours later he had to mentally scold himself for forgetting about Yamaguchi’s stupidity.

During the math class, Yamaguchi decided to bring the 3-D on the field to play soccer. Of course, only Ryu figured out that she wanted to strengthen the bond between her students, or, more precisely, between him and Yabuki. The boy knew there was no use, Hayato was stubborn and there was only one way to rebuild they friendship, the one way that was impossible to follow. Telling the truth.

Ryu leaned on a goal’s right pile looking boringly at his classmates. He wanted to be as far away from Yamaguchi and his former best friend as possible. For some time no one bothered him but soon, Yamaguchi caught him doing nothing. The woman just couldn’t let him be.

Huh… So boring... I bet Yue-san has more interesting things to do at work. Damn, I’m so bored I feel like watching her just sitting in a corner. Hm… Maybe I should go see her? It’s not like I have anything better to do anyway…

Ryu didn’t even blink when a really fast ball flew next to his head. One, he was too busy thinking and second, he already knew how strong Yamaguchi is, it wasn’t a surprise she could do such acrobatics.

Ryu watched how she smiled happily like a five year old kid. He felt a small satisfaction seeing how she was surprised that no one saw her goal. The guys weren’t interested from the beginning in playing soccer so there was no surprise for Ryu that they started watching girls from Momo High that were exercising just on the other side of the fence. Why also Ryu wasn’t staring? Well, there were couple for reasons. He didn’t want to be near Yabuki, he was taught manners so ogling young women in really short shorts was rather inappropriate, and happy, awfully sweet and rich girls didn’t interested him. They were mostly spoiled princesses dreaming about her own knight in a shining armor riding on a white horse and expecting from you expensive presents. In short, they were annoying.

The teacher came to him but he didn’t have any intention to look at her. Besides, just a minute ago she proved again that she doesn’t think before doing something. She really was like one of 3-D students, she fitted in perfectly.

“Odagiri-kun,” she said, suddenly using honorific to his name, his earlier coldness apparently left some aftereffects. “You have to protect the goal.” He didn’t even look at her, his face completely expressionless but inside he didn’t know if it was better to laugh at her or to face-palm himself for giving a chance someone who has her head in the clouds almost all the time.

“You…” He was still looking straight ahead before looking at her face to deliverer a blow. “…are on the same team as me.”

“Shoot, I scored against my own team,” she exclaimed quietly realizing her mistake. The woman was stupid but Ryu couldn’t help finding fun in bringing her to the ground from the cloud with just one sentence. Teasing her was a nice activity and help a little in killing his boredom.

They were kicking the ball for a few more minutes before Yabuki decided to ditch school. The rest of Ryu’s classmates immediately followed their leader and the boy felt there’s no need for him to stay as well. Quickly he passed by Yabuki and the rest of his closest friends ignoring Take’s calling for him. The rest wouldn’t let him get close anyway.
 

* * *


Ryu was slowly walking on the street ignoring all kind of stares he received. It was no surprise that he was catching others attention. From first glance anyone could tell he’s a person that should be avoided. Dyed red hair, ped school jacket with a simple loose T-shirt under it and a bag tossed sloppily on his shoulder. Everything in Ryu spoke ‘delinquent’. Old ladies was glaring at him while trying to keep their distance while young girls were giggling excitedly. After all there was no doubt the young man was quite handsome – the type that fathers were afraid of stealing their daughters’ hearts.

The boy didn’t care about all of them.

He started looking around searching for Mitsui’s workplace. From what she had told him, it supposed to be a small boutique with purple door. Thankfully it wasn’t that hard to find. The boy stopped and looked at the other side of the street while raising one eyebrow questionably. He walked on the other side and came inside the store spotting the girl right away sitting behind the counter. She straightened and smirked at him.

“Hey, what’s up?”

Ryu glanced around the shop. Almost everything was pink, purple, black or dark blue. The clothes that were hanging in various places were rather rarely seen in public but he remembered seeing girls wearing them. If he wasn’t mistaken, it was a gothic lolita style. Well, at least it was what the girls said when Hayato, Hyuga and Tsucchi tried to hit on them with some lame pick up lines about angels and demons.

Ryu looked at the girl, silently asking why she works in this kind of a shop when her style was rather normal. Well, if you ignored dark colors of her clothes. Ryu was glad for it, simple black t-shirt, dark jeans and sneakers surprisingly suited her, even he had to admit it.

“It’s just a part time job. I’m in need for some extra money lately,” she answered with a small smile while shrugging her shoulders. Ryu just nodded. She was observing him for a while before speaking again. “How’s school? Any troubles?”

Of course, the boy just shrugged his shoulders. He started to feel slightly awkward. Why did I even come here? The girl saw his uneasiness and smirked.

“Relax, will ya? I don’t bite, you know?” she laughed while Ryu scowled.

“Why here?” he finally asked.

“They pay enough and the schedule didn’t collided with my other job.” The younger looked at her without questioning anything but she knew what was on him mind. “I’m working at the boxing gym on weekends. I’m mostly training others but sometimes I box myself. The prizes for a won match are quite high.” It was the second time she listed money as a reason but even though Ryu was curious, he didn’t ask about it. “Any progress with your friends?” she asked while putting some shirts on a shelf behind her.

“…Not really.”

“Hm? No one talked to you?”

“…Take tried.” She didn’t need to ask to know that Ryu ignored the boy.

“You should talk to him, Ryu-kun. If he’s willing to be near you, you should let him do it,” she scolded him a little but decided to change the subject. “How’s that teacher?”

“Annoying,” the answer was short but followed by an uncontrollable smirk.

“And I guess she’s also entertaining, huh?” she gave him a lop-sided smile.

“It’s fun to ,” Ryu said while leaning on one of the walls.

For a few minutes both were silent, the boy engrossed in his thoughts while Mitsui was cleaning the shop. Secretly she was observing him. He was bothered by something and it wasn’t hard to guess about what. The young man would never say it but he treasured his friends very much and wanted to hang out with them again. She put the broom away and leaned on the counter looking at him and crossing arms on her chest.

“Listen, Ryu-kun. I know your friends will come around eventually but it would be better to try to do something. I don’t say you should tell them why you bowed to Ara High, though I’m sure the reason had to be really important to you. Start with something small like talking to that friend of yours that spoke to you today.” Ryu stayed silent for a while before looking up at her.

“And what if… that friend was the reason?” she furrowed her eyebrows in question but didn’t except any answer.

“Well, you don’t seem angry so it’s not like you blame him. Speaking to him won’t hurt. Don’t be an idiot, Ryu-kun.” She rolled her eyes but he only looked down again. “Okay, you know what? Just leave it be, I have a feeling that everything will go back to normal soon.” He looked up again slightly afraid that she’s angry with him but her genuine smile surprised him. She laughed at his baffled expression, even if it disappeared in a second. “Don’t look like that at me. Did you forget that I was, and probably still am, a delinquent? I know how it works. No matter if you surrender, lose or win the fight, it’s never over. People always want revenge and from what you told me about Yabuki, he’s so pissed off that he will start a fight the minute he spots someone from Ara High.” Ryu scowled at her happy face.

“What’s so good in it?”

“Exactly,” she smirked at his slightly dumbfounded face. “It’s bad, yeah but people under pressure break more easily,” she answered with a shrug before patting his shoulder reassuringly. “You will see soon enough what I mean.”

The girl was really weird. Ryu couldn’t believe that there was someone who could crack his mask so easily. He started to suspect that she’s some psychologist hired to talk to him but dismissed the thought almost immediately. Even though she read him quite easily, she didn’t try to make him admit anything. It was nice talking to someone who didn’t expect you to speak up your mind.

The boy observed the older girl closely following her moves with his eyes. She didn’t look special or outstanding, she was just like any other normal girl. Or maybe rather woman? She was barely two years older but she gave away the impression of someone much more experienced, who knew how the adults’ world worked. When he thought deeper about it, she said herself, she was, is, a delinquent but looking at her, he had hard time believing it. She was too nice and too polite towards him.

Suddenly the door to the shop opened and a small, about 8 year old girl stepped inside. She looked around first to lay her round, big eyes on Ryu in question. The boy only raised an eyebrow. He had no experience with kids so he had no idea what to do with the staring girl. Yue was currently at the back and couldn’t help him. Ryu awkwardly shifted his weight on the other leg when Mitsui came back.

“Oh, Akemi-chan! Come in, you’re blocking the door. How’s school? Did you gave your homework to the teacher?” the woman smiled and took the backpack from the kid putting it aside. The girl only nodded before staring at the young man again.

“Who’s that guy, nee-chan?”

“Don’t be rude, Akemi,” she scolded the girl before answering the question. “He’s my friend, Odagiri Ryu. Ryu-kun, she’s my sister’s kid, Kobayashi Akemi. I’m sorry for her rudeness, she’s more after my side of family. None of my relatives is an angel, my sister isn’t an exception.”

Ryu nodded slightly and Akemi frowned still staring at the boy. He stared back not knowing what the small girl wants from him. Yue looked from Akemi to Ryu and back to the younger girl. Mitsui raised her eyebrow but decided to ignore the glaring contest. She sat down in a chair and opened a random magazine. A few minutes later, she looked up from the newspaper and frowned seeing the two still staring. She could understand Ryu but why her niece was observing the man so intensely was quite weird. Akemi didn’t like meeting new people but she preferred to rather insult them with her sharp tongue. It was unusual for the small girl to stay quiet. The more Yue was surprised when her niece finally said something.

“You look cool, you can be Yue-nee-chan’s friend but I will keep an eye on you.”

The girl pointed at him with two fingers before pointing to her own eyes. With that being done she grabbed the backpack and skipped at the back. Ryu raised an eyebrow and followed the girl with his eyes. Yue did the same slightly baffled by small Akemi. The boy looked at her but seeing that she was equally surprised with the behaviour of her niece, there was no way she knew what the little girl meant.

“…Sorry. She’s quite different from kids her age. Blame my family for it.” She turned to him with a small apologetic smile, she looked out the window before quickly looking at her watch. “Crap! It’s really late already. Sorry, Ryu-kun but I think you should go for now. I don’t want you to get caught by the police. I don’t like feeling guilty.” She smirked and he rolled his eyes before turning his head to the right to hide a small smile that suddenly came into the view.

“Ah,” he respond and made his way to the door. He stepped out of the shop, stopping shortly to bow slightly to the girl.

“Bye, Ryu-kun. Come back some other time, it’s pretty boring here.”

He walked away without looking back. It was a nice afternoon and even though they he didn’t speak that much, he felt more relaxed. Of course Ryu was still anxious but he got more strength to face his old friends. He had his doubts but meeting with the older girl make him believe that everything will be alright even if using fists is the only way.
 

* * *


It was already dark outside and the air was colder than before. With his head hanging low Ryu walked slowly towards the house engrossed deeply in his thoughts. He was worried about his friends. As much as he believed Mitsui’s words, he didn’t like the idea of 3-D fighting with Ara High, not when Yabuki was punching first before thinking.

Ryu heard a soft rustle and looked up confused stopping in his tracks. He didn’t hide a small happy smile upon seeing his friend.

“Take.” The boy with hairpins smiled back.

“Hi.” Ryu came closer, afraid that something had happened to the boy.

“What’s wrong?”

“Well…” Take started and looked down trying to find the right words. “I’m glad that you’re coming to school again. I was worried about what would happen if you never came back.” Ryu looked down and snorted, slightly embarrassed but happy with his friend’s confession. It was nice to know that at least one person wanted him back. “Maybe I… should tell everyone what really happened.” At these words Ryu glared at the boy.

“Don’t think about doing something unnecessary,” he said strictly, in a voice that suggested that he wouldn’t take any objection. It was obvious that Takeda wanted to protest but Ryu’s words, words of 3-D’s leader were undisputed. Ryu nodded slightly seeing that the boy won’t try anything, obviously calming down knowing that Take’s safe. “Go home before you catch a cold.”

The ex-leader said patting Takeda’s shoulder while he passed by him. Ryu didn’t look back. Even though he was glad that his friend talked to him, he knew it’s better to not drag the boy into the conflict between him and Yabuki Hayato. It didn’t matter if he was the only one taking the blame, the most important was that Takeda won’t get hurt.
 

* * *


Yamaguchi went inside the class with a weird smile on her face and greeted her students loudly.

“Good morning!” Of course it was ignored by young delinquents. She closed the door and walked to the desk still wearing that imitation of a happy smile. “You guys were fighting Ara High students last night, right? Who won?” she chirped faking cheerfulness.

“Obviously us!” Tsucchi answered proudly completely ignoring the fact he was talking to the teacher.

“There’s no need to ask.” Hyuuga added over-confidently. “Since we have Hayato on our side.”

“Why are you asking us that?” Yabuki asked arrogantly.

“What’s the reason for the fight?”

“They were picking on class A’s Shimada. So we helped him.” Tsuchiya explained while closing his fan with a snap. Yamaguchi smiled slightly, a little surprised with the answer.

“You guys can be nice, can’t you?”

“We can’t let Ara High guys act big, you know.” The whole class erupted in a laughter but Ryu stayed silent. Mitsui was right that Hayato will start a fight and the red-head knew anything good will come out of it. Yamaguchi looked equally worried for her students.

“Since yesterday’s fight had a reason, I’ll overlook it but don’t be too rash,” she warned them and all the noises faded. “You might be expelled.” Yabuki didn’t seem to care.

“We can’t fight if we are afraid of getting expelled, can we?” he said mockingly before adding accusingly. “Well, it’s different for some coward over there.”

Hayato looked at Ryu. The ex-leader looked right back at Yabuki, rather more worried for the other than afraid of him. Hayato, are you really that stupid to not see how your friend feels about it? Huh… If you want to be an idiot, then be one. Ryu thought before looking in front of him again.

“A man is useless if he isn’t strong.” Hayato added proudly making himself look like a foul in Ryu’s and Yamaguchi’s eyes but like a here to his classmates.

“You’re right man.” Yamaguchi laughed and Ryu would too if the fact that he was already walking on the thin line.

“Being strong doesn’t mean you can fight. Even kindergarteners can fight.” Yamaguchi offended the 3-D class but Ryu didn’t even gave a single glance at the teacher. He knew she was right.

“What’d you say?” The guys asked riled up. Especially Hayato was annoyed, she hit his pride. “We’re starting class. Take out your books.”

“Don’t kid around.”

Ryu heard Hayato’s whisper and looked up at the woman with interest. There was no way Hayato would stay still after the woman’s words. He grabbed the textbook and threw it directly at Yamaguchi’s head. Where the rest of 3-D was gaping at the act with surprise, Ryu was observing closely, knowing already that the woman is way different from other teachers. He knew that she won’t be scared by the simple piece of paper.

Yamaguchi didn’t even blinked when the book flew barely centimeters next to her head. She and Hayato were glaring at each other for a short while before the woman lifted the textbook and stepped in front of the rebellious boy. The whole class was silently watching them.

“Don’t treat things so roughly,” she said while putting the book on the desk and walking back to her table. Ryu didn’t need to look to know that Hayato was pissed.

“Today at 4…” Yamaguchi turned back. “…come to the river beach.” Yabuki said coldly.

“What?” she asked surprised. “What a way to ask for a date.”

“I’m not asking you out.”

“Then what?”

“Duel with me.”

“Duel?” she asked confused. Ryu raised his eyes to her face watching her reactions. So far he was rather bored but the duel got his interest. It could be the only way to find out who she really is and why he fights like a trained soldier.

“If you win, I’ll do whatever you say. If I win, don’t ever boss us around. That’s the rule between the strong and the weak.” She looked down and the boy turned around leaving the building.

“Yabuki!” she called after him just like his friends.

“Hayato!”

“What’s gonna happen?”

The guys started to talk, excited with the upcoming battle. Ryu looked after Hayato but turned back to the front raising his head at the woman slightly worried. Yet, he was interested what Yamaguchi will do. She was like a question mark that he wanted to erase and substitute with a sure dot. She isn’t scared, she’s determined. What will you do, senko? You’re not going to fight like before, right? You’re a teacher, you can’t use violence. Show methen how will you deal with Hayato.
 

* * *


After school everyone but Ryu rushed towards the river. The boy was walking calmly when he caught the sight of Yamaguchi hurrying in the same direction. He raised an eyebrow slightly amused at the sight of how eager the teacher was.

When he finally arrived, Yamaguchi was already silently facing Hayato. Ryu took a deep breath observing the scene closely. He couldn’t felt wanting to laugh when the teacher after throwing her coat away decided to wear again. At the same time he really felt stupid and kind of humiliated that Yamaguchi somehow managed to bring him back to school. She was embarrassingly idiotic. From what he heard, his classmates were also stupefied by her actions.

In that moment Ryu’s attention was caught by a sound of riding bike. When he looked left he noticed a police officer. Without thinking he walked quickly towards the nearest tree trying to hide himself. It was a good move since the policeman saw Yabuki ready to fight and spectators in form of 3D guys. It wasn’t really that hard to guess what was going on there even if normal people would recognize that Hayato’s opponent was a woman and from what Ryu was taught, no one would assume that a woman won’t try to beat the guy up. Well, it wasn’t like Yamaguchi’s body resembled a woman that much, she wasn’t cute at all.

“Hey, what are you guys doing?!” the police officer yelled.

“Cops!” Ryu looked at the woman surprised at the word she had chosen but smirked lightly seeing how all his ex-friends looked at the same moment at the cop. “Run all of you!” she yelled and everyone got up running away from the policeman frantically.
Ryu waited for a short moment before he started running himself trying to find Hayato. He knew perfectly well that Yabuki won’t give up a fight when his pride was being on the line here. He was looking around when he heard a faint noise coming somewhere from his right. Even though he wasn’t sure if he was right something was telling him it might be Hayato. His instinct was right.

Ryu stopped slightly tired next to the temple and when he looked around himself, thinking where to go, he noticed Yamaguchi standing in front of Yabuki. He was confused seeing her with the leader of 3D, wondering how the heck they ended up here in the first place. He couldn’t hear what they were saying but it didn’t really matter when Yabuki attacked. The woman threw her bag at him but it didn’t stop the boy from throwing a punch. Ryu wasn’t especially surprised when the woman avoided the fist and even managed to grab the boy’s hand twisting it. When Hayato tried to punch her with his other hand, she also grabbed and soon pushed the boy away from herself. Yabuki stumbled and fell on the ground coughing but it wasn’t enough to make him surrender. He got up immediately trying to kick the woman.

Ryu was amazed. From the beginning Yamaguchi hasn’t hit Yabuki even once but avoided all his punches. What was even more interesting, she was not only calm and collected, not like when she was teaching them in class, but she was also serious. Yes, it was a serious fight even if it was obvious the woman was skilled and Hayato had no chance against her.

Yabuki was still stubbornly trying to hit the teacher but she was dodging his hands with ease. At some point she grabbed him by his shirt but he moved back and she lost her grip on him. He threw his fist again but missed and she pushed him to the ground. He started standing up while she tried to reason to him.

“Listen Yabuki.” Hayato looked at her. “You might be strong in fights…” he got up not even trying to listen to her. He stacked, she dodged and he fell again. “But that does not mean you are strong as a person.” He launched at his teacher again without any success. “Your physical strength doesn’t determine how strong you are.” She said only angering Yabuki who almost desperately didn’t want to lose to her. He grabbed him from the back keeping his hands in place. “You still want to continue?” she asked but it only made things worse.

“Shut up!” the boy yelled and she threw him like a doll.

“If you still don’t understand, then I have no other choice.”

And that’s when Ryu saw something he wasn’t expecting to see. When Hayato attacked, the woman moved slightly to the left and aimed a punch to Yabuki’s gut. Ryu was aware that the place she chose wasn’t random. From the pained expression on Hayato’s face and the way he fell on his back while coughing, the place she hit was a weak point on human body.

“Listen, Yabuki. There are a lot guys out there who are much stronger than you at fighting. It’s meaningless to measure how strong you are using that. As long as you have the strength to protect what is important to you, that’s all you need. There are many ways of achieving that. Then…” Yabuki sat up panting heavily. “See you tomorrow, at school.”

She picked up her purse and went home while Yabuki stayed watching her back. Ryu looked down slightly confused how much of what she said applied to him. He listened carefully. Her words were wise and he could understand what she meant. He hoped that Hayato will understand too, that fists don’t make you exactly strong. Not when you’re using them without caring about other’s feelings. And that there are times when the one needs to protect someone to the point of giving up something else, something important like reputation, pride, honor…

Or friendship.
 

* * *


Ryu was lying on his bed staring at the ceiling lost in thoughts. Yamaguchi’s words, her fight with Yabuki were still hunting him. Hayato didn’t understand anything but for the first time, Ryu could see that his friend listened to the teacher and was thinking about her speech. It was weird, yet Ryu felt grateful to the woman. The only problem was that he was still worried.

A sudden ringing of his phone made Ryu snap up of his thoughts. He looked at the device and raised his eyebrow questionably. Nevertheless he answered the call.

“Yes?” he asked confused hearing whispers in the background.

“…Sorry for calling so late I hope I didn’t wake you up.”

“Ah.” He smirked listening to the hushed voices that were apparently arguing right now.

“Well, um, sorry again. That’s what happens when you leave the phone somewhere where the annoying brats are able to reach it.”

“…” Ryu stayed silent after hearing a soft, slightly embarrassed chuckle. The silence soon followed by an awkward cough.

“Then… I’m going to hung up now…”

“Wait!” Ryu reacted quickly. The silence on the other side told him that the person was indeed waiting. “I want to talk.”

“…Give me a second.” He heard two voices again before a soft click reached his ears.

“Okay, what’s going on?”

“…Hayato fought with Yamaguchi.”

“Eh? Seriously? That’s unusual. Who won? Yamaguchi?”

“Ah,” he answered simply and heard a soft chuckle.

“It’s not hard to figure,” the person said amused and Ryu didn’t reply. “…What’s bothering you?” he couldn’t explain why that person could read him so easily like that but right now he was glad for it.

“Ara High came back.”

“Oh… I think that’s good.” Ryu sat up quickly.

“…What?” he asked with wide eyes but his voice completely emotionless.

“…It’s hard to explain but… trust me on this one. You said something about Yamaguchi beating the boy up. Did she tell him something?”

“Ah.”

“And I bet he didn’t understand a thing. The only way to actually put something inside his head is making him stand in your shoes. Just wait and see.”

“…” Ryu stayed silent again trying to believe the words.

“…You’re still worried, right?” A sigh was heard on the other side. “Listen Ryu if it bothers you so much, then if the situation gets dangerous just try to talk your friends out of fighting. They might not listen to you but maybe they will think about it just a little. Also there’s your teacher, she won’t let them get hurt. You know that already, don’t you?”

“…Ah.” He nodded though the person couldn’t see him.

“Good… I have to go. It’s late and I’m working a morning shift tomorrow.”

“Wait!” he reacted again and listened to the silence for a second, collecting his courage. “Thank you… for everything.” Even though he couldn’t see it, he was sure the person was smiling lightly.

“Your welcome, Ryu-kun. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight… Yue-san.”

Ryu hung up and place the phone next to the radio on the small table. He really needed that talk even if the girl was the one making it work. He was amused with her behaviour at the beginning, arguing with her niece and being actually embarrassed with the call. He was sure she hadn’t planned it but he was happy to be able to listen to her. Somehow her voice was calming him down every time. It was soothing and soft like a fluffy pillow that could easily lull you to sleep.
 

* * *


On the next, Ryu walked to school with a feeling that something bad is going to happen. When he stepped inside the class everyone was standing around four injured guys sitting in the middle. The red-head came closer stopping next to the door that were used in the past as an entrance. No one paid attention to him but Ryu only wanted to know what had happened. He was worried. He might not be the leader anymore but these guys were very important to him even now.

After listening to the story, the 3D students were angered and grabbed metal pipes and long sticks, ready to fight with the other school. Ryu was watching it with worry. He couldn’t do anything, once 3D was fired up there was nothing that could calm them down. The situation only get worse when Sawatari came to the class wanting the students to stop with their nonsense. Ryu didn’t know what to do and for the first time he was happy to see Yamaguchi coming in.

“Be quiet!” ordered the vice-director.

“We can’t just keep quiet like this!” Tsucchi yelled.

“This time we will teach them a lesson!” added Hyuuga and the guys cheered. Ryu only looked around worriedly thinking quickly what he should do. It was bad, really bad and he knew it won’t end good.

“What are you guys so worked up about?” Yamaguchi asked surprised with her class behaviour.

“Yamaguchi-sensei, stop these guys.” Sawatari ordered the woman.

“These guys were beaten up by the students from Ara High.” Tsuchiya explained. “You still want us to keep shut?! So?!”

“They were beaten up by the guys who Hayato and the others took care of last time!” one of the guys said heatedly.

“It’s fine with us. We’ll pay them back this time.” Hyuuga already made up his mind just like the rest of 3D.

“Alright!”

“It’s a raid!” Ryu listened to the voices and the more he heard the more he saw no other choice but to interfere.

“A raid?” Sawatari asked bewildered.

“Don’t be stupid!” Yamaguchi scolded them.

“Do you know what will happen if you do that?” Sawatari’s right hand yelled trying to scare the boys.

“You’ll be expelled,” added the vice-director. “Expelled!”

Everyone looked at the man. Ryu took it calmly, already knowing that the situation made the old guy use his best weapon but even if he knew he glared at him. Tsucchi was slightly surprised but the threat didn’t scare him much. Only Take was not only shocked but also frightened to the core. It was like a bad dream that came back after a time of peacefulness. Hyuuga angrily hit his palm on the table.

“Expelled? That’s fine with us!” Tsucchi was angry as well and couldn’t help screaming.

“What?” Sawatari asked calmly.

“Tsuchiya!” Yamaguchi scolded the boy coming in front of him and trying to protect from Sawatari’s wrath. “Head Teacher, I apologize for all this. I will talk to these students,” she said quickly bowing to the man.

“I don’t care if you fight or get arrested. Just remember that you’ll be expelled for it. Just remember that,” the man warned the boys before heading out of the class.

Ryu looked after the man equally pissed with his attitude but also understanding his reaction perfectly. The man’s speech get to him. If Yamaguchi or him won’t do something quickly, his friends might end up in a jail. There was also that one person he worried about the most, the one because of who he became 3D’s traitor. It was like a repeat of the past but this time it was worse because he couldn’t do anything. It made him angry but not at his classmates but at himself, at his own helplessness.

“Just calm down for now,” the woman tried to reason to them.

“We’ll raid them as soon as Hayato gets here!” Tsucchi answered making other fire up even more.

“Alright,” everyone agreed.

And in this moment Ryu couldn’t take it anymore. They were so stupid, so selfish. It was too much for Ryu. He was worried, he was angry and listening to how the guys wanted to screw their own lives with one idiotic fight pissed him off even more. They were blind and couldn’t see that they were digging their own grave.

“What will you accomplish if you do that?!” he screamed, wanting to get some sense in their heads.

“We have to put an end to all this, you know,” Hyuuga answered rather calmly but feeling were busing in his body.

“It’s no use if we keep competing with Ara High.” That was true but the price for it was too high. Ryu knew it, they didn’t. “Don’t selfishly go and bow your head down to them like last time.” Ryu didn’t answer to that but he felt helpless. He was aware that they won’t listen to him. Not anymore. And telling the true was also impossible even if there was a high chance they would listen to him afterward.

“If you hadn’t done that back then, it would’ve ended already.” Ryu took a breath to calm his nerves. He was hurt with his friend’s words. They were assuming things not knowing the story. That was alright as long as they were safe. But now he just wanted them to understand him, his previous actions. “It’s your fault the conflict between Ara High and us has gone on for so long.”

“You’re wrong!” Take suddenly screamed.

“Take!” Ryu listened to the bitter words silently but when his friend opposed to them he couldn’t keep quiet. He scolded Takeda for butting in knowing that the boy wanted to tell the truth. If he did that, Take would became the one called a traitor. Ryu didn’t want that.

“Ryu didn’t do anything wrong.” Take said with slight fear but this secret was killing him slowly from the inside. He wanted his friend back. Consequences didn’t matter, only Ryu mattered.

“What do you mean?” the teacher asked curiously and Take continued.

“What happened back then it was all my fault,” he confessed with slightly broken voice.

“Take!” Ryu scolded him harshly again, his voice sending a hidden threat, trying to stop the boy from speaking further.

“When it was decided we were going to fight that school I started getting scared. I really wanted to run away from it. I’m not as strong as Hayato or Ryu. I didn’t know what I would do if I was expelled. I wasn’t afraid of getting expelled before, but… but… we’re going to graduate soon, right? Even my mom didn’t think that I would be able to graduate. She was really happy I got so far. So I didn’t want to disappoint her.”Everyone but Ryu and Yamaguchi listened silently keeping their heads down, feeling betrayed but also ashamed. “I know it’s lame thinking like that. So… I asked Ryu about it. And he told me to leave it to him. Ryu bowed down to them all alone just for me!”

Ryu looked down knowing that there was no way back anymore. The secret was out and he had to take a deep breath with his eyes closed to calm down his own emotions that were stronger than ever before. He was happy, scared, relieved but also amazed by his friend’s braveness. Not everyone was able to tell the truth. He knew how hard it must be and he was proud of Take.

“Ryu is not a traitor!” Takeda said before turning towards the red-head. “Ryu… I’m sorry. I’m really sorry!”

Takeda bowed deeply and Ryu looked at him trying to containing a smile that almost appeared on his face. He wasn’t angry with the boy, he couldn’t be. But his sincere words and apologies moved him deeply. He felt happy and a little embarrassed because he could hear in Take’s voice how much he cared for Ryu. There was no way Ryu could hate him when the boy was so honest and brave in front of the whole class of delinquents.

“Don’t apologize,” Ryu said softly.

“What do we do now?” Tsucchi asked kicking a desk lightly, now almost completely calm.

“At this rate… there’ll be no end with Ara High.”

Hyuuga said, finally understanding the situation they were in from the beginning of Kurogin versus Ara fight. The students kept quiet feeling lost. The revelations hit them hard and it was not easy for them to realize that they were wrong for so long. They didn’t blame Takeda. He had a point, they all were close to graduation. Was it really worth it to waste it because of a fight? No, it wasn’t.

A few minutes later, they all were sitting in their chairs silently thinking until Yamaguchi’s voice broke them from their thoughts.

“Yabuki’s still not here?” Ryu looked around and furrowed his eyebrows. Something was wrong, he was certain of it. And he wasn’t wrong.

“Hey, Hayato’s bag is here!” a guy shouted and three friends went to look at it. Ryu was confused but it took a second for him to realize something very important. And apparently Yamaguchi understood it too.

“He might…” The woman rushed out of the class, ignoring the voices of her students.

“Hey, where are you going?” she only stopped to answer harshly.

“Isn’t it obvious?”

The guys looked at each other and quickly followed her. Without thinking further Ryu stood up and ran outside. He still remembered the shortcut leading to the old warehouse that was considered as Ara High’s territory. Yabuki was in troubles and Ryu couldn’t help being pissed off at him for going there alone, without telling anyone. That idiot! What is he thinking?! He really wishes for death! Wait… What if he finally got what Yamaguchi was talking about? ! Why he had to choose today to be a responsible leader of 3D?! Damn it!

It took him a few minutes but he finally arrived at the warehouse. The door was opened widely and he could see a slightly beaten up Hayato held by Ara’s leader. The guy was ready to punch Yabuki but Ryu grabbed his hand strongly making him stop and look at him with surprise. Ryu’s face didn’t show any strong emotions, there was no anger. In his eyes you could only see power, determination and unbelievable strength that made others feel respect. It was amazing that even after sacrificing his own pride, he was standing in front of them was so much dignity, so much authority. In that moment no one could say that he wasn’t a leader because all his being was telling otherwise.

“Odagiri. What are you doing here?” Ryu ignored the guy.

“Hayato… don’t go off and do something like this.” It was an order, an order from the person that was born to be a real leader.

Ryu pushed the guy away, dodged the other and kicked the one in front of him. He and Hayato started to fight beside each other. Ryu grabbed the stick of the guy that attacked him and kicked him in the guts before breaking the weapon and turning around. Unfortunately the guy behind him was able to knee him in the stomach. Ryu lost balance just for a second but it was enough for Ara students to attack him and push to the ground. Soon Hayato was lying next to him and kicked were thrown at them from every direction followed by baseball bats.

Thankfully for the two boys, Yamaguchi and her students arrived in time to help them.

“Hayato!” the three guys screamed watching the scene in slight shock, surprised that Ryu was lying next to Yabuki, equally beaten up.

“Let’s go!” Tsucchi shouted and the three wanted to join the fight but Yamaguchi stopped them in time.

“You guys don’t interfere.”

“How can we not?” they all wanted to help their friends.

“Are you going to let their efforts go to waste?” The three looked at the teacher in surprise somehow catching what she meant. The woman went towards the bunch that turned around when they spotted them. “You’re very pathetic to go that far against two opponents.”

“What? Who are you?” the leader of Ara High asked.

“I’m their homeroom teacher,” she answered calmly.

“Teacher?” he asked surprised before the Ara high students burst out laughing.

“Yamaguchi?” Ryu said softly happy to see her but at the same time surprised. He completely forgot about the woman and her antics, though she impressed him with her devotion towards her students. She wasn’t feeling ashamed of them, loudly saying that she was their teacher.

“Can you return my precious students back to me?”

“You’ve got guts for a woman.”

“Run home before you get hurt.”

“Where would you find a teacher who would abandon their students?” she asked with all her seriousness.

“They’re everywhere,” the Ara High boy answered.

“You can’t call those kind of people teachers.”

Ryu and Hayato observed the woman. While Hayato seemed to not know why she was there, Ryu was surprised by her statement. For him, teachers were all the same but now she was telling him that they were not teachers. How weird and stupid it sounded he kind of understood what she meant. She was different, devoted to her students. He wondered what it would be if every teacher was like her.

“You’re an interesting one. You wanna fight me?” the leader asked.

“Fight you? How about… I take on all of you?” she surprised them.

“Don’t kid around,” the boy answered angrily and came closer to the teacher wanting to hit her with a metal pipe. The woman grabbed it effortlessly but with an amazing strength, not letting the boy pull it back.

“A high schooler… shouldn’t be carrying around dangerous things like this,” she said harshly. One of Ara High students tried to help his leader by attacking the woman with a bat but she pushed the leader away to grab the bat and send the boy to the floor. “A bat is something used to play baseball.” Another one tried his luck but she quickly fought him off just like the one after him.

“Why you…” she punched the boy in the gut.

“You still want to fight me? What do you say?!” she screamed while looking at the gang. All of them were scared of her and the leader decided it’s the best time to go away.

“Let’s go,” he said cowardly before running away through the backdoor with his comrades. “Let’s go!”

Ryu and Hayato were lying on the floor panting heavily but glad that it’s already over. Yabuki looked after the Ara High students but turn his head towards Yamaguchi. Ryu already observed the woman, ignoring the retreating guys. She amazed him again and he couldn’t figure her out at all.
 

* * *


“Don’t be so rash by going off on your own,” she scolded her students softly.

“I had no choice,” Yabuki said with a hoarse voice, tired after the fight. “I had to put an end to it. It wasn’t going to end,” he added sitting up on his elbows from where he was lying next to Ryu on a hill-like side of river beach. “I’m 3D’s leader. I had to do it. This is my way of doing things.”

None of his friends said anything to it, not even Ryu who looked at him. Hayato finally understood. The redhead knew that even though the misunderstanding between him and 3D was cleared, because of his actions the guys stopped trusting him. He didn’t betrayed them but he showed that he doesn’t trust them in such important matters. It wasn’t really the truth but he had enough fights for now. At the moment, he just wanted his friends back, everything else was unimportant.

“This is… all I could do.” You’re an idiot… but that’s how you are, aren’t you, Hayato? You finally know that I also couldn’t do anything else. Because that’s my way of doing things.

“Yabuki. That’s good as it is.” Yabuki looked at her when she crouched down in front of him. “You weren’t wrong in what you did today.” Hayato tried not to smile, somehow happy by his teacher’s prize. “You two really are alike.” Ryu looked at her taken aback.

“Give me a break,” Hayato whined but there was no doubt he felt happy.

“We’re nothing alike,” Ryu added wanting to laugh. He knew it might be true but he would never admit it in front of anyone.

“You’re exactly alike. Without worrying about his honor, Odagiri lowered his head for Takeda’s sake.” Ryu didn’t look at the teacher feeling weird hearing such nice words. “Not to involve his comrades, Yabuki tried to fight the opponents all on his own. The methods were different… but both of you did it to protect your friends.” Ryu looked at her before saying.

“I didn’t do it for Take’s sake. I thought his mom would cry if Take got expelled,” he confessed wanting to justify his actions. And even though what he said was also true, they all knew that Yamaguchi was right too. He did it for Take and Take’s mom but saying something like that in front of the guys was really embarrassing and his pride couldn’t really take it. He didn’t want to think of him as a softy even if it was too late for it.

“If anyone got expelled because of this and held a grudge against me, I’d feel bad,” Yabuki said also trying to keep a mask of a tough guy. Yamaguchi was right, they indeed were alike.

“You guys really are great,” Yamaguchi admitted with a smile.

“But you guys aren’t fair,” Tsucchi spoken up.

“That’s right. We’re comrades, no?” Hyuuga added.

“You guys are too weak. You would’ve just held me back. Idiots,” Hayato said arrogantly but with a small smile, teasing his friends.

“Hey.” They laughed.

“That’s not true,” Tsuchiya opposed.

“You’re going too far,” Hyuuga added happily and all five of the guys smiled. Always cold Ryu also couldn’t hide his happiness, even if his smile lasted for only a mere second.

“Okay everyone, let’s go back to school.” Yamaguchi got up walking away.

“What?” the guys asked surprised.

“What’s with her?” Tsucchi asked taken aback.

“She really is weird for a teacher,” Hyuuga added.

“But…” Takeda was smiling, grateful that the woman bring his friend back. “…she’s really interesting.” He said what Ryu was thinking from the beginning. He still couldn’t figure her out.

“I’m sorry.” Ryu looked at Hayato surprised. The redhead could see that the boy next to him really was sorry. He didn’t need to answer to that. They were okay now, happy to be best friends again.

“Alright you guys! Let’s run towards the setting sun! Let’s go!” the teacher yelled enthusiastically while Hyuuga, Take and Tsucchi were helping their friends to stand up.

“We’re injured,” Yabuki said annoyed with her even more than Ryu was. I think I’m getting used to her weirdness.

“Hurry, you guys!” she yelled jumping happily and skipping towards the setting sun.
 

* * *


Meanwhile, two figures were watching the five students and their teacher.

“He’s cute,” the smaller girl said with all seriousness.

“Akemi,” the older girl scolded her niece.

“What? I’m right and I know you just thought the same, nee-chan.” The 8-year old shrugged her shoulders. Yue just shook her head but couldn’t contain a smile.

“You little brat,” she said affectionately while ruffling the girl’s hair. “But don’t think I forgot about yesterday. Why did you wanted his number anyway?”

“If he hurts you, I can always scare him with silent phones,” the girl answered with a shrug and Yue chuckled.

“Thank you but I don’t think you will need to do it,” she said and took a last glance at six figures. “Let’s go back. You still has homework to do.”

“But nee-chan~” the girl whined but Yue just smirked taking her niece by the hand and walking away with a smile, happy that everything was good again.