Episode 1: Senpai's Advice

Gokusen 2 - Unspoken Feelings

Episode 1: Senpai's Advice

Odagiri Ryu was sitting on the ground not so far from the river. By the sight of blood that was slowly dropping from a cut on his lip and a few bruises on his face, you could tell that just a while ago, he had been fighting. The boy took a deep breath and as he closed his eyes, he laid down, putting an arm over his eyes as the sun was blinding him.

Ryu didn’t know how long he had rested there, but when he opened his eyes again the sky was already red. He knew that he should go home but thinking about his strict father and how he would punish him for being in a fight made him change his mind.

In the end, he decided to stand up and go wherever legs would take him but he was distracted by a voice behind him.

“Oi! Are you alright?” Ryu turned around and saw a girl around his age looking at him. She surely didn’t look like one of the girls he had often seen on the other side of a fence that separated Kurogin from the all-girls school; she wasn’t wearing a skirt or a dress, just a simple T-shirt, black jeans and dark jacket.

He gave her a short glare and that was the only answer he was willing to give the stranger. The girl raised her eyebrow and sighed from annoyance as she came closer to him. Ryu raised his eyebrow as well. Not only he should be the one annoyed by her presence but also she didn’t seem like a type of person who would care about an unknown guy (who is most likely dangerous). She took out a handkerchief  from her pocket and gave it to him. He looked at her hand and then at her face.

“Take it. You should at least take care of dried blood on your face.”

Ryu took the handkerchief warily. The girl turned around to look at the river. He was surprised that she didn’t expect any words from him. Actually, she was the one talking. “I don’t know why you look like a crap and I don’t wish to know... but I hope that IT was worth being beaten up.”

“What?” He couldn’t understand what was she talking about; he was confused. It was impossible that she knew. He didn’t know her. At least, he thought he didn’t.

“Bowing to Ara High? I hope it was worth getting such bruises.” She turned to him again to see his surprised face that was quickly replaced by an annoyed and slightly angry look.

“Not your business,” Ryu hissed but the girl wasn’t affected by his cold glare.

“I know.” She put her hands in pockets of her jeans and started climbing up to go away. Ryu stood there not understanding a single thing about the girl. When she was standing on the pavement again, she looked at him one more time. “I may not know you but there’s something that I never doubted about Kurogin leaders. They would never betray their friends.” With this words she started walking away. Ryu rarely let himself show his feelings on his face but this time he couldn’t suppress his eyes from widening. The girl knew that he was one of Kurogin’s leaders, but how…? She wasn’t a student. That was certain. Then… who was she?

***

Ryu was walking around aimlessly. He didn’t know what to do. A few days ago he had been a leader of 3D and now... he was a traitor. He didn’t regret what he had done. He had a really good reason to bow to Ara. He had known from the beginning that he will hurt his best friend and a co-leader. Yabuki Hayato was hot-headed. He was a good leader; he was charismatic so people didn’t mind following him but, just like the whole class, he wasn’t the brightest. He acted before thinking.

Suddenly Ryu realized that his legs brought him quite far away from home. It was almost the end of the city, just a road and a few old buildings. One of them caught his attention. It was a huge and quite new warehouse with a neon sign above the front door.

Frentzen… It’s some club, I guess.

He was surprised at the number of people coming inside. The club wasn’t especially close to any clubbing districts. He slowly passed in front of the entrance and turn right. It was a dark alley. Being under-aged they wouldn’t let him inside but there’s always a back door. It’s not like he was in the mood for partying and he didn’t want to drink but he noticed that it got pretty cold outside. It wasn’t a bad idea to warm-up in the club.

The back door were closed but seeing a lot of boxes with bottles, Ryu assumed that someone will come to take them. He wasn’t wrong. After a few minutes of hiding behind a trash bin, the door opened and a tough-looking guy came outside. Ryu waited patiently. He had to choose the best moment, the moment when the man will be away from the door. It didn’t take long. As the man was searching for some bottles, Ryu quickly slipped inside.

The club was big enough for at least two-hundred people. Odagiri had found himself a place in less crowded part of the room, yet far enough from the bar, main entrance and back door. He was enjoying the heat sighing contentedly. He hadn’t realized how tired he was just because of going around the city. Ryu rested his head on the back of a comfortable couch. He recalled the girl from earlier. At first he was sure that she’s just some weird stranger but now, that he thought about it, she looked kind of familiar. The problem was that he couldn’t tell where or if he really had seen her before. It was bothering him.

Ryu spend next hour just sitting and thinking. He was startled when suddenly a hand grabbed his shoulder. He looked up to see a guy in a black elegant jacket. There was no doubt that the man worked here. Ryu was a little scared of the guy but being a leader of one of the worst class in Tokyo and the owner of the most terrifying cold glare in the world (like Hayato liked to point out), he kept a calm face. The guy looked at the minor - the boy looked arrogant, annoyed by the situation. Ryu was glaring at him but the man just smirked and the boy raised his eyebrow.

“Come with me boy.” Ryu couldn’t just disobey the guy - he had been beaten up enough for a day. The man took Ryu at the back of the bar. Two other man stood there talking but when they spotted them, they stopped their discussion and focused on Ryu.

“I see we have a rat in our club. I guess we need to get rid of it.” Ryu just glared at them not saying a word. The guys were looking back at him. They were a little surprised that the minor wasn’t scared of them. “What are you doing here? Are you spying on us?” The man was surprised again hearing a snort that was followed by an annoyed smirk.

“I didn’t want to go home and walking around in the cold isn’t enjoyable.”

“Are you frightened that mommy will scold you for picking up a fight?” The man laughed along with his co-workers making fun the bruised boy.

“No.” Ryu was cold like always, he was glad that he hadn’t lost his cool. The men stopped laughing and looked at him thoughtfully, then smiled at him.

“I like you. You have guts but you shouldn’t be here. Don’t you have to go to school tomorrow?”

“I don’t. Not anymore.”

“Hmm… In that case… would you like to work for us then? We need someone to help at the bar. It’s easy job. Just washing glasses, carrying boxes…” Ryu hesitated for a second before he nodded.

“I don’t have anything better to do anyway...”

After that  Ryu introduced himself to the guys.  Deep in his heart he knew that it was wrong decision but still, he was alone. His friends turned their backs on him, father forbid him from going to school and he mentioned something about sending him abroad. His mom was a kind woman but would never oppose her husband. It was better to work for these guys than staying home all day long. Since he still wore his school uniform, one of the man borrowed him a shirt. It was a  little too big but Ryu didn’t care much about it. He couldn’t work at the bar because of his bruises so the owner made him carry boxes with bottles.

After he cleaned the club and closed it, Ryu ended his work for a night. He was quite satisfied with his new job; it was easy and gave him opportunity to stay away from his parents. Ryu exited the club and took a deep breath, needing fresh air after spending many hours in the crowded room.

“And here I thought that you have enough troubles already…” Ryu turned around surprised. It didn’t took him long to recognize the girl from yesterday.

“Are you stalking me?” He send her an angry glare.

“You wish… I’m going to work.” She showed him her bag and then kept quiet for a short while. ”You should go home. Your parents might be worried…”

“None of your business.” He cut her off but she continued not minding his interruption.

“…besides if you really want to work here, you should be careful. It doesn’t matter if you a good fighter or if you have connections. It’s not the safest place at night. But if you decide to keep your job, you should make a good use of it. Get information and keep them in your memory. Knowledge about certain matters can help you when you get yourself in some .” Saying that she patted his arm and went away. Ryu was confused. The girl surely knew about illegal businesses around the city or at least in this district. Because of the whole situation, he forgot to ask the girl about her name. He shrugged it off and tired after work, he went home.

***

It’s been almost a month since Ryu got himself in a fight with his best friend. In this time he worked in the club. At some point the owners let him work at the bar and serve customers their drinks. It wasn’t job of his dreams but he liked it. The job was helping him, distracting him from his current situation. There was only one disadvantage. The guys kept calling him ‘Ryu-chan’. He wasn’t much into pet names, especially being called ‘-chan’ by some guys. Every time they called him like that he would snap at them, telling them to stop. Unfortunately, it didn’t work. He wished they would respect him more, but he knew that it’ll never happen. Over those weeks he saw that besides having more money and drinking alcohol, they are almost as dumb as his classmates. Well, maybe they were a little more dangerous.

Tonight the weather was slightly cold. The club was more crowded than usually, probably because of free drinks that were served this day. Ryu wasn’t as experienced as to work fast enough at the bar so he was replaced by one of the guys. His only task was getting bottles of alcohol from the back. It wasn’t as simple as someone might think. During last couple of days bottles got a little disordered and Ryu had to find the needed ones, put them in the right boxes and bring them inside the club. He came outside and grabbed one of the boxes and put it next to others by the opposite wall.

“Odagiri-kun?” Ryu straighten up wondering why an unknown woman knows his name.

“Who are you?” He asked, not changing his cold expression.

“I’m your homeroom teacher, YYamaguchi Kumiko. Nickname’s Yankumi. Nice to meet you.”

“What do you need from me?” Ryu started carrying boxes again a little annoyed by the woman. He was sure that the teacher will bring troubles to him.

“I was wondering…” She took a step closer. “if you could come to school starting tomorrow.”

“School? I was told not to go to school.” He put the box down and putting his left hand in his pocket he turned to the teacher.

“So you’re not going to school because you were told not to? You’re very obedient then.” It pissed Ryu off and he grabbed his teachers coat.

“You’re trying to start a fight with me?”

“Unfortunately, I don’t try to start a fight with someone who’s weaker than me.” Ryu stared at the calm teacher. Somehow he believed her and even if he was surprised by her, his face didn’t change its expression one bit.

“Go home right now.” He started putting bottles in order.

“I don’t know what happened, but are you okay with things as they are? School isn’t a place for the Superintendent and Head Teacher to do as they please. It belongs to the students.”

“Stop with the nice words.” Even if Ryu looked like he was ignoring her, he was listening to her words. “All the teachers are always like that. They say nice things and act cool but when push comes to shove, they only think about protecting themselves.”

“So you can’t trust teachers?” she said and he looked at her before agreeing with her assumption.

“Right. I can’t trust them.” The teacher came near him and crouched.

“Then, will you give me a chance?” Ryu turned to her not believing his ears. He was annoyed but also surprised enough to stop his task.

“Chance?”

“I won’t betray you. I’ll protect you no matter what happens.” Ryu was looking at her face, searching for any form of fear or selfishness that he had seen over the years on his teachers’ faces but couldn’t find any of it. She was honest and determined. “Is it no good?” Even seeing her honest face, he couldn’t just believe her but a small part of his heart wanted her words to be true. He wanted to come back, see his friends but he knew that was impossible. Suddenly, he heard the voice of one of the guys and looked up.

“Ryu-chan.” He hated being called like that but hadn’t said anything this time. “What are you doing? No slacking off.” The guy went away, probably for his break.

“Sorry.”

“Is he your friend?” Yamaguchi straighten up.

“Something wrong with it?” They weren’t his friends, at least not like 3D but they let him stay here and distracted him from thinking about school.

“Not at all. If he’s a friend who seriously thinks about you. But if he isn’t, then cut ties with him right now.” Ryu looked up at her. She surprised him a little again. He had to say that she was quite wise. “Cut ties with him and come to school.” Maybe not that wise after all but for sure annoying.

She was persistent and stupidly calm. Ryu wondered what she really wanted from him. Her words and face were telling him that she’s honest but he had been betrayed by teachers too many times in his life to just blindly do what she had told him. Not letting his annoyance show on his face, Ryu decided to play a little with the teacher. She was one of THEM. She’s a teacher, she can’t help me. It’s impossible. All of them are selfish, only thinking about awards and keeping their jobs. How can I trust her? Better if I get rid of her. He wasn’t willing to believe her. His anger at other teachers made him come up with a plan to make her suffer as much as he suffered over the years. He strained all his acting skills and started talking.

“I want to go to school too.”

“Is that so?” He stood up, put hand in pockets and stepped away from backdoor facing the opposite wall.

“But it’s impossible.” Ryu sat on some old boxes.

“Don’t worry. If it’s about the Superintendent or the Head Teacher, I’ll…”

“It’s not that.” He cut her abruptly, annoyed by her. “Until I pay them back.”

“Pay back?” Ryu took a deep breath.

“Money. Until I pay back their money, I won’t be free.”

“How much is it?”

“It’s none of your business.” He snapped, trying to sound convincingly, so she wouldn’t tell he was lying.

“How much is it?” She caught the bait. He was quiet for a while then looked straight in her eyes. There was something in them that made him wonder if he really should do it. But the feeling quickly disappeared.

“300,000 yen.”

“300,000 yen,” she repeated, looking him in the eyes. “If you have that much, you can cut all ties with them?”

“Ah…” he answered shortly, nodding his head.

“Then you can come to school, right?”

“Ah…”

“I understand.” She was determined. He could see it in her eyes.

After their talk, she went away and Ryu came back to his work. For a short moment, he was feeling bad for lying. He didn’t like to lie. At least not when it comes to something like money, not when it comes to real crimes. But it was a short thought. She was a teacher and all teachers were the same. Even if she was determined before, it won’t take her long to realize that it’s not worth it. She will have at least one student who will graduate from high school. Yeah, she won’t help, she can’t help…

***

Ryu came home in the morning, like always anyway. He wasn’t hungry, since he had ate in the club so he slowly strolled to his room. Being half-way up the stairs he heard his angry father. At first he didn’t care. It wasn’t something new to hear the older Odagiri reprimanding someone over the phone. His curiosity raised when Ryu heard his own name being spoken. He quietly come closer to the door, trying to catch fragments of conversation.

“We already settled everything. I don’t want to see that teacher near my house every again, is that clear? Ryu won’t go to school and that’s it. Sawatari, better if you tell that teacher to stop meddling with my son or I will take care of her by myself!”

Ryu quickly pulled away from the door and closed himself in his room. He lay down on his bed tiredly and put an arm over his eyes. It was weird how stubborn that woman was - coming to his house and then to the club. He wondered who told her about it? Probably Hayato or the others. He was sure that one of his senpais had seen him working and told his friends. He didn’t mind… or maybe rather he didn’t care. They never came anyway. He was a traitor, there wasn’t any reason to see each other…

***

Another week passed. Ryu wasn’t surprised that the teacher hadn’t come. It was impossible after all. He didn’t know why but his heart ached a little. He wouldn’t admit it but he had this small hope that she was different. Well… I guess I was wrong. Whatever. It’s not like it hadn’t happened before anyway. But even thinking that way didn’t help him ease his mind.

Ryu was washing empty glasses when the front door opened. He didn’t care who it was. He was just a mere worker. It wasn’t his business to meddle with the owners’ matters.

“Sorry, but we’re closed until 7.” They didn’t know the person.

“Can you come again?” Ask the other owner and the unexpected guest came closer to their table. “Who are you?”

“Odagiri Ryu’s homeroom teacher.”

“Homeroom teacher?” The guys started laughing. Ryu was surprised but still… She was a teacher.

“Here’s 300,000 yen.” She threw an envelope on the table. “It’s the money Odagiri borrowed from you guys. I want you to let Odagiri go now.” That woman was really stupid.

“That’s what she says. What do you wanna do, Ryu?” Ryu looked up to see his teacher’s surprised face.  

“You were here? Don’t worry anymore.” He left the bar and came closer.

“I’m not worried about anything.” He was annoyed. What that woman was doing? Was she stupid?

“Let’s go back.” Ryu looked at the envelope. He couldn’t believe. The teacher really did what he asked her to do. He was confused.

“Your teacher will give it to us.” Guys started laughing again. She was totally dumb… Not for trying to help him but because of meddling with this guys. Ryu knew what they were capable of. It didn’t matter how much he hated teachers. He didn’t want her to get hurt. She didn’t deserve it. But he couldn’t do much. There was only one way out of it. Play along.

Ryu smirked and started laughing with the guys.

“Odagiri.” He looked at her again putting an unreadable and cold expression.

“I’ll take it.” He took the money.

“This is all of it.”

“This?”

“All of it?”

“Yes.” He smirked again and went back.

“You… impossible you... deceived me?” Yamaguchi whispered looking at the boy who didn’t glance at her again.

“If you’re done, why don’t you go home now?”

“Okay, time to clean up.” The guy patted teacher’s shoulder. She was staring at her student, shocked by his behaviour.

“Let’s go.”

They grabbed the teacher by her shoulders. Ryu only caught her last glance before they threw her out. He couldn’t watch her face anymore. It pained him. She really believed him. It was weird knowing that she was willing to help him. What a stupid teacher. Ryu was utterly confused. He didn’t know what to think of her. She was an idiot. If he really needed money he would go to his father. He was rich and yet, she brought the money to help him. What was wrong with her?

“Ryu-chan, you can really pull it off.” And again that annoying pet name.

“That teacher is just an idiot.” That was true. He couldn’t help but laugh with them.

“A teacher that brings money for a student is really an idiot.” Even if he felt the same, hearing it from these guys wasn’t easy.

“You should’ve told her it was one million.”

“Ah, I’ll treat you guys today.” He wanted to go away, just for a minute. He came at the back counting the payment for dinner.

“You can keep the change.” Ryu left the money on the table and wanted to go away when he heard the cook.

“Sorry, but I can’t accept this money.” Ryu turned around. “This is the money your teacher earned for you, right? It’s the money she earned by working hard every night as a construction worked.” Ryu was shocked. It couldn’t be, could it?

“Construction worker?” Impossible. What teacher would do that? For a student? There’s no way!

“For you, you know? Pay me when you earn money yourself. I’ll put it on your tab.”

Ryu was stunned. It was unbelievable. So… she really cared… He felt slightly guilty; for the first time in his life he regretted what he had done to the teacher. She believed him, she worked hard to help, yet he betrayed her. He was a traitor again and he didn’t like it.

***

Next day came quickly. Ryu wasn’t really tired since he was able to end his shift earlier. There was something he had to do. He was angry at his teacher, his friends, co-workers but mostly at himself. It shouldn’t be that way. He shouldn’t think like that. Without further thinking, Ryu went towards Kurogin. He knew that he will spot the teacher on her way to school. He wasn’t wrong.

“Odagiri.” He stopped in front of the stunned teacher.

“I used some of it, but…” Ryu took out the money. “I’ll definitely return the rest to you.” She took the money from him and looked at her student dumbfounded. “Don’t ever come near me again.” Ryu turned around walking away.

“Are they really your friends?” He didn’t want to listen to her again. “Is that really where you belong?” He was sure he didn’t belong there but he… didn’t belong anywhere. “Sorry, but I’m not the kind of teacher who does as she’s told by her students.” Somehow, he hoped she wasn’t. “I didn’t become a teacher with such half-hearted feelings. I won’t give up until you come to school.” He knew that she can’t do much. She’s just a teacher, but… her words warmed-up his heart. He was grateful. Maybe she wasn’t the smartest but with her, there was a possibility that some of his friends will graduate without huge problems. It was good enough for him.

***

Ryu was again at the river. He was lying in the same spot as a month ago. He could hear his homeroom teacher. Her words sank deeply into his mind. She was different. She wasn’t like THEM. What I should do? She’s a teacher, but… It’s so annoying. Do I want to come back to them? Hayato hates me, the rest of them too. The guys at the club… I don’t want to be like them. I don’t need someone like them… I wish someone honestly told me what‘s wrong and what’s right…  You can call it magic, fate or just an accident but suddenly he heard a familiar voice.

“Oi. Are you okay?” He quickly sat up and looked up. “Huh? Oh, it’s you.” She recognized him, came closer and sat next to him. “Nice view…” she said watching the setting sun but turned her head to look at his face. “I guess you’re alright. You’re lucky then.” He was surprised and kept quiet when the girl was examining his face. Her next words shocked him even more. “Talk. You look troubled. I might be a stranger, but sometimes strangers are better listeners than your own friends.” He never let his feelings show but she was able to see through him. He wanted to snap at her for poking her nose into his business but decided otherwise. He needed to get rid of his thoughts and she was willing to listen to him.

“I had a fight with a friend. The school let me graduate without going to Kurogin. Then I found a job at Frentzen. They let me stay there. I didn’t have to think about my situation, I could forget about everything, at least for a while... A few days ago, my homeroom teacher came to the club. She wanted to bring me back to school. I thought that she’s like the others but…”

“She isn’t, huh?”

“…Ah. I lied to her saying that they won’t let me go if I don’t give them back their money. She was stupid enough to believe me. She came yesterday with 300,000 yen asking me to come back to school. I give it back to her this morning.”

“Why?”

“She was working as a construction worker to get all that money, I couldn’t just take it. She said to me that she won’t give up... What should I do…” She barely heard his last sentence and kept quiet for a while pondering.

“Well, if it was me, I would probably stay at Frentzen…” He looked at her confused. ”But you’re not me.” She looked straight at his face. “No matter how you look at it, you miss them. Your real friends, I mean. You might say that she’s stupid, dumb, annoying and whatever you want to call her. You can say that they hate you, that you’re a traitor and shouldn’t face them again. But the truth is you want her to be stubborn. Despite what you’re saying, your friends, they are important to you… It’s your decision.” She stood up. Ryu did the same. “People think that delinquents are good in fighting. You’re a delinquent, right? If that’s the case you should do what all delinquents do - fight. Fight for your friends and friendship. People might think what they want because they don’t know what’s the real definition of fighting.” Ryu raised his eyebrow.

“And what’s the real definition?” She just shrugged, hands in her pockets.

“Don’t know, you tell me. Don’t you think it’s the best time to learn something?” She smirked at dumbfounded Ryu. “You have seen something what‘s out of definition already - your teacher. If she’s not like other teachers then how fighting may have only one meaning? Translating this weird babbling of mine, you shouldn’t care what others think and just do what your heart tells you. If you miss them, go back to school. Nobody can judge you. You see something one way, when the others see it differently. That’s why even something unacceptable in society, like a fight, might be good, even when others see only bad sides of it.” Yeah, she was right… It was a babbling, but somehow he knew exactly what she meant. Ryu still wasn’t sure if going back to Kurogin was a good idea but he knew there’s something he needed to do.

“Thanks.” He said quickly and went towards the club.

“Oi! Let me know how it went!” She yelled before he disappeared from her sight and only smiled at his raised hand.

***

Ryu stepped inside the club. His heart was beating faster than usually. Well, not every day you have to tell real criminalists that you don’t want to have anything to do with them anymore. It wasn’t the time for thinking. He had enough of it lately. It was time to do something, so stopping at the door, he took a deep breath and came closer to the guys.

“What’s going on? You’re late.”

“Sorry.”

“Finish the orders for the beer.” He stopped hesitantly next to the table.

“Hey… what are you standing there for?” Ryu took all his courage. It won’t be easy.

“I… would like to quit. Please.” Ryu bowed to them.

“You want to slip away from us?”

“I’m sorry.” He couldn’t look them in the eyes, he was aware what was going to happen and he had to be strong.

“Ryu-chan, do you know what that means?”

“You don’t think we’ll just let you go, do you?” Ryu couldn’t help but gulp. He knew exactly what was waiting for him and it couldn’t be good…

***

Ryu was punched and fell on the ground in the old warehouse. The guys quickly pulled him up by his collar.

“How dare you ask us to let you off.”

“Who do you think took care of you after you were abandoned by your parents and your school?”

Ryu was glaring in the eyes of the boss. The latter one punched him painfully in the stomach. They didn’t give him much time to recover before they pushed him on the wooden table to drag him away and punched him in the face again. He knew that it’s just a beginning. Two guys grabbed him by his shoulders when the third one was punching him. Ryu was slowly getting weaker. A few minutes later he couldn’t stand on his own legs. The guys pulled him up so he was kneeling and put a cloth around his neck. One of the leaders was holding the cloth preventing Ryu’s head from hanging too low so he could hitting him repeatedly in the face. The rest of the guys were cheering their boss up. Ryu was barely conscious.

Suddenly there was a loud bang at the door. The gang looked up letting go of Ryu, who collapsed on the floor. He didn’t have enough energy to even raise his head. Since they weren’t paying attention to him, it was the best time to catch a breath and gain some strength. He heard breaking of chains and sliding of the metal gate. Even though he was tired, he looked up. There stood a woman; the same one that tried to help by earning money for him. She started slowly coming closer to the men.

“What? It’s the teacher from last time,” the leader said and everyone laughed. Ryu could only watch and curse his teacher for her stupidity and yet her determined look…

“You’ve done enough. Will you let him go? Please,” she said and bowed in front of the man.

“The teacher is begging us. She’s interesting.” Ryu was watching them and couldn’t really believe, he was surprised, stunned and confused… It was… incredible… like a dream though Ryu wasn’t sure if it’s a bad… or a good dream.

“He’s my precious student. He’s only 18. You’re making a sport of him like you would with any other person, but he doesn’t understand that. He’s just a kid.” Ryu closed his hands into fists and bit his lower lip. Finally… finally he started to understand her… a little… It wasn’t her who was stupid… It was him. He wasn’t an adult. She might be annoying and she might childishly believe in others but… “I still have a lot of things that I have to teach him.” …but she knew things that he himself wasn’t yet aware of… The girl from the river… she knew that too. It was hard to listen to her, to listen to the truth. “So, please return him to me. Please.” She bowed to them again. Her words hit Ryu hard; it was a punch that brought him back into reality where everything isn’t schematic. Something started to break in him. For years a fog was occluding his vision, not letting him see the light, the exit from the labyrinth he was lost in for a long time…

“It won’t go that easy.”

“We need a proper payback first.” Ryu didn’t hear them, he was staring at his teacher in amazement and admiration. She was there for him… only him. No awards, no ovations, no praises. She didn’t need it, she didn’t want it… She was standing there, bowing just like he bowed to Ara High and she was doing it for his sake. For the first time he believed in her intentions… It was like seeing himself, swallowing his pride to protect what’s the most important.

“Or perhaps you will give us some more money. Then maybe we will reconsider.” The chef came closer to Yamaguchi.

“I think you can earn a lot more money, right?” Another guy stepped closer and put an arm around the woman. It took a few seconds for the teacher to shed his arm from her shoulder and throw both men forward while kicking the third one.

“You… who exactly are you?” The man asked surprised by Yamaguchi’s strength and gangsters slowly backed away from her.

“I already told you. I am… his homeroom teacher.” She said with pride coming closer. Ryu watched her, trying to fight with exhaustion that started to take over his body and mind. “If you say no even though I asked so much, then there’s no helping it.” The guys took their stick and baseball clubs scared by her. ”I’ll warn you, if it’s for my precious students, I won’t go easy on you.”

One of the man wasn’t able to endure the pressure and attacked the teacher. She easily fought him off but the rest of the guys weren’t waiting for the invitation. They all jumped  on Yamaguchi trying to either hit her or bring her to the ground. Ryu was watching the fight attentively through half-lidded eyes. It was hard to stay awake but he couldn’t blackout, not just yet. The teacher was incredible and crazy. She was fighting like the best soldier, she protected him. Just like the girl from the river said, Yamaguchi wasn’t an ordinary teacher; she was way out of definition – strong, carrying, stubborn, ready to help him even though he didn’t deserve it. He never met someone like her but… Can she be real?

It was Ryu’s last thought before he couldn’t stay awake anymore. Slowly, looking at his teachers strong-willed face, he let himself sink into blackness…

***

A sudden pain in the corner of the lips waked Ryu up. Unconsciously he turned his head to the right, away from the pain. Slowly he opened his eyes to see his teachers face hanging above his head.

“Does it hurt?” she asked him, worried about her student. He quickly sat up.

“Don’t touch me,” he said half-heartedly but firmly and the woman decided that it’s better to let the boy take care of the wound himself.

“Here.” She sat next to him and give him a handkerchief. He looked at it slightly annoyed but took it anyway. He wasn’t sure if he was annoyed with her or maybe rather with himself…

“Why’d you come?” he asked after a few seconds of silence. “I deceived you.” He needed to know the reason, he just couldn’t understand why she was willing to do that, to save him. His thoughts were driving him crazy, it was insane.

“Because I had promised you,” she said calmly.

“Promise?” His eyes slightly widened. Her logic didn’t make sense to him.

“I told you that I would protect you no matter what happens.” Ryu recalled the words she said at the back of the club and he couldn’t stop anger from raising in his veins.

“Are you stupid?!” He stood up quickly annoyed by her words and worried – the stupid promise could kill her. He wanted to scream at her, tell her how dangerous and idiotic it was but the words, like always, didn’t leave his mouth.

“A promise is something you have to keep.” She stood up as well and he quietly listened to her. “You told me that if you had 300,000 yen, you could get away from them, right? And then you can go to school.” He turned away from her and started climbing up the hillside.

“Normal people don’t take that kind of story seriously.” He mastered the skill of hiding his emotions but anger and all the feelings that bottled up in him in the last few days could be slightly heard in his sentence. It was too much for him to just stay silent, to grasp why she really did it. His heart was saying one thing when his mind was telling him the opposite. It was an inner fight between what he had believed in for a long time and what he really saw just now. Things changed and he couldn’t just simply forget, he needed time…

“Sorry, but I’m not a normal teacher.” He was aware of that. “Besides what’s wrong with teachers trusting their students?” Is she really asking me that? He turned towards her trying to clear his confusion with harsh words.

“Don’t make me laugh.”

“Laugh if you want. Even if I get laughed at or deceived I will always believe you. Because you cut your ties with those guys yourself.” He was searching her eyes for any hints of her lying but could find none. He could only see honesty and pure feelings and it made him change his mind. He wanted to give her a chance.

“I won’t trust teachers. I won’t trust anyone.”

Even though the words were bitter but it was an unspoken promise that he won’t judge her for now, that he’s willing to find for himself if she is worth something or not.

He walked away, not wanting for his mind to get even more confused with this weird teacher. He needed to think… alone…

***

Ryu lay on his bed tiredly. The events from the afternoon were repeating in his mind over and over again.

That woman…There’s something wrong with her. What is she hiding? She’s not normal, not only as a teacher but also as a human. Where can you find a teacher that can fight like that?! A woman stronger than a bunch of mobsters… If I haven’t seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn’t believe it.

He was trying to answer questions that formed in his head. It wasn’t easy because every time he thought he’s closer to some good explanation, a new query invaded him.

It’s so… complicated and… confusing… I don’t know what that woman has in her but she doesn’t make much sense. She’s like a mystery, just like that girl I had met at the river.

He sighed deeply, running a hand through his hair. He opened his eyes at the thought of the girl.

The girl… Why she seems so… familiar? I don’t know but I guess she’s right, not everything is like we see it. If I want to find out what’s going on, I guess, I have to try to do it by myself… Who knows, maybe facing those hot-headed idiots really is what I want?...

***

Another day came, a new one. For some people it’s just a normal day but not for Odagiri Ryu. After long hours of thinking about Yamaguchi and the mysterious girl, he finally decided what to do; he was going to school again. It was a really small step that he knew will bring him huge troubles but he wanted to take a risk, to see if all those pretty words he heard in such a short time, might be true.

He saw a group of teachers rushing out from the building. His appearing at the school grounds made a huge uproar among them but he was proudly coming towards the gate, not minding them. He caught the sight of his homeroom teacher.

“You had promised not to go to school!” He passed the gate ignoring a screaming faculty member. “Wait right there!” Ryu was getting closer to the 3D building. He could see his friends coming out to see what’s going on.

“What’s with you guys?!” The head teacher yelled.

“Return to your class!”

Ryu saw a hopeful and proud look on his teacher’s face and angry, betrayed ones on his friends’. He stopped in front of the annoying woman.

“Good morning, Odagiri. You came.” Her happiness was bothering him and he sighed. Better prove me that I made a good decision, senko.

“It’s not like I came for you,” he just simply said not wanting for her to know his real thoughts.

He confidently, without further doubts, made his steps towards his class. He raised his head when he was just a meter from Yabuki Hayato. Ryu’s gaze was hard and arrogant, saying that he won’t succumb to Yabuki’s wishes and will fight to the end, like a real leader of 3D.

“Long time no see,” Hayato said and Ryu averted his eyes slightly preparing himself for, what he knew, was coming. From the beginning there wasn’t any other solution. “What do you want now?” To Hayato only fists mattered, it was the only language he would understand and Ryu was ready to speak with it if necessary. “I haven’t forgiven you.”

And there it was. The first punch that almost send Ryu to the ground. But he wasn’t weak; if it was what he had to do to survive, he would do it. Odagiri reacted quickly by pulling Hayato by his shirt. The rest of the students from 3D tried to split them apart. It was a quite unusual sight seeing these two strong-willed, proud, leader-like boys fighting against each other. It was like seeing fire and water; a hot-headed Yabuki Hayato that could only convey his feelings with his fists and Odagiri Ryu, a boy whose expression almost never change, a living enigma. Both, students and teachers, weren’t able to stop the two boys.

“Stop it already!”

Only a loud shout of their homeroom teacher and a bucket of water poured on their heads from the rooftop, stopped them from brawling. Everyone looked above stunned, even Ryu was surprised by her sudden action. Is she an idiot or what? What is she doing on that roof, standing like some annoying motivator? It was his first thought.

“What do you think you’re doing?!” Yabuki shouted. Odagiri wasn’t sure what she really wanted from them but giving them a speech won’t help much in current situation. She surely was an interesting and a very weird teacher.

“Alright, now we have everyone. Listen, all of you. I’m not going to let you guys graduate as you are now. You don’t have any memories of high school or any dreams for the future. There’s no way I’m letting you guys graduate like this. I will teach you guys exactly how precious and important your high school life is in your lives down the road. Prepare yourselves!”

Everyone were speechless.  Students from 3D just gaped at her not making a move. Ryu wasn’t much better trying to understand her complicated, or maybe rather simple-minded after all, mind. One thing was quite obvious, the rest of his high school life will be unpredictable…

***

The day passed quite quickly for Ryu, thankfully without another fight with Yabuki. Coming back home he remembered about the mysterious girl. She really helped him even though they didn’t know each other. Somehow, he got a sudden urge to see her again. He wasn’t sure what it was that made him go in the direction of the river; chances for meeting her was low but something was drawing him to her. It wasn’t like him to be interested in someone but, just like Yamaguchi, she was different.

He was really surprised when he saw the girl lying on the grass by the river, propping herself on her arms and watching the setting sun. He came closer silently but she noticed him anyway and turned her head to him. A small lopsided smile and a short wave greeted him when he stopped next to her. While looking at her from above, he kind of guessed that she already knew that he was safe from the gangsters from Frentzen. Next to her was lying today’s newspaper with pictures of his ex-employers and a big title saying something about selling drugs; illegal business.

He sat next to her hesitantly, not knowing what to expect from her. He didn’t know what he should tell her but he wanted to; he felt it’s right to talk to her. She helped him out of his misery.

“I see you listened to your homeroom teacher at the end, huh? How’s 3D? Still angry?”

“Ah…” He nodded and she smirked at his small answer.

“Don’t worry. They will come around. That teacher of yours seems like an interesting and strong person to me.”

After that she looked at the view in front of her again. The silence wasn’t weird or uncomfortable. Ryu hadn’t felt so calm for a long time. It was a precious moment; free from confusion, uncertainty and sadness. The world seemed to slow down, stopping to take a break before it would started its journey again with a renewed energy. He didn’t want to disturb the peacefulness; but there were still things that he wanted to asked about.

“Who are you?” The question was spoken before Ryu could really think about it. He was quite surprised with himself; it was slightly embarrassing but the girl didn’t seem to mind when she looked at him.

“Mitsui Yue.” She said with a small smile and he furrowed his eyebrows. That name sounded familiar but he couldn’t really remember where he had heard it before. She saw his confusion. “I graduated from Momo High two years ago. I’m a delinquent myself. You might had heard about me from your senpais.” That was quite possible. “What’s your name?”

“Odagiri Ryu,” he replied after a short pause.

“Nice to meet you Odagiri-kun.” She smiled again and stretched out her hand, he shook it lightly.

“Just… call me Ryu.” He was hesitant, not understanding himself. He never let anyone except his friends call him by his first name.

“Then, Ryu-kun, you can call me Yue.”

He nodded and it was enough for her. She saw that there’s something more on his mind but she didn’t want to make him say it. There’s time for everything.

After struggling with his thoughts, Ryu finally got enough courage to say these two simple words.

“…Thank you.”

He wasn’t looking at her, nor she was looking at him. The Sun was barely visible above the horizon, another day has ended so the next one could start in the morning; just like a new friendship that can sometime blossom from one word spoken by accident to an unknown person. Ryu’s words weren’t much. It was their third meeting; none of them were longer than ten, maybe fifteen minutes. Yet, they really felt comfortable in each others’ presents. A few words, a few smiles. It really was enough to start something new…